As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

April bullshit fool roundup you fuckers.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Funny or Die has devoted their entire website to the videos and pictures they've discovered by hacking Charlize Theron's phone.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Each of those would've been hilariously snarky if it came from the companies behind each game.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Quake Live is doing something called SuperSpace. I just played a little bit and it's like 4 maps combined into one. It's actually kind of fun though.

Oh and the Mass Effect 80s style cartoon. Which I would totally watch if it was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOqHUa2LfNY

Man, I love Harry Partridge.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Each of those would've been hilariously snarky if it came from the companies behind each game.

Thing is I'd totally put down for the 100$ ending for DA III. Not joking one iota.

I'd bet they'd get enough others it'd be totally feasible too.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Funny or Die has devoted their entire website to the videos and pictures they've discovered by hacking Charlize Theron's phone.
    Oh my god the sex tape.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Man, I love Harry Partridge.

Saturday Morning Watchmen just may be one of the greatest things ever.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Yeah Toonami last night was amazing and horrible. Tom doing reviews, the end of the Cell Saga and the incomprehensible Tenchi Muyo. Nostalgia overload. They even had new Tom bumpers and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfadJj4d5K4

This reminds me of a time when Cartoon Network didn't suck.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?p=1900
    ATLANTA. April 1st, 2012. Today, Hi-Rez Studios announced that they have finally identified and corrected the ‘skiing bug’ within the popular Tribes gaming franchise.

The infamous bug was introduced in 1998 with the release of the original Starsiege: Tribes. A defect deep within the game’s physics subsystem allowed players to slide or ‘ski’ very quickly across wide-open terrain. For over 13 years, and across numerous Tribes sequels, this exploit has been used by players to gain incredible movement speeds – earning Tribes a reputation as the World’s Fastest Shooter.

Now, thanks to the debugging skills of Hi-Rez developer Don Zubis, skiing in Tribes has been eliminated.

“No more skiing! Tribes players can now travel at the more comfortable walking speed found in other modern shooters”, explains Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. “With this bug finally behind us, our dev team can move onto new gameplay mechanics including Super-Slow Walk, Go Prone, and the highly anticipated Crawl.”

The release date of Tribes: Ascend remains April 12, 2012. And Hi-Rez would not confirm whether this bug fix would indeed make it in time for that release build.

There remains significant risk that, on release day, Tribes: Ascend players will be able to go very, very fast.

I was amused.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Despite knowing this was a joke, I actually thought it was a reposted Blizzard joke. So I got meta-had.

steam_sig.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Huh. I know it's still early in the day, but I was kind of expecting to be elbow-deep in ridiculous spoof designs and videos by now.

Must be the off-year or something.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Kinect Assassins Creed not doing it for ya?

Oh brilliant
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Honestly, the X for Kinect/Wii jokes are old.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Kinect Assassins Creed not doing it for ya?
    Aside from crazy acrobatic stunts that are nigh impossible, most of that video is what I actually hoped kinect would do.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Adult Swim was Toonami last night:

http://youtu.be/jc9A5UeW1mg

This was the best. Seriously.

I was mere seconds from flipping the channel when it looked like another Room marathon, then flipped out when they showed Tom.

It may not be the funniest AF, but it was the most effective for rekindling my nostalgia. The fact that they even went so far to do a (really good!) review of ME3 was just icing on the cake.

It also brought newfound appreciation for those old animes; it's almost shocking comparing these shows to the kind of stuff that gets released today (and why we don't have anime threads anymore), even though the only difference with anime then and now is that the older stuff worked harder to maintain quality over animation budget.

Also the Dreams AMV; even if you're not a fan of the shows on Toonami, there's no debating what a smartly put together network block it was.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The Wii-mote arm-blades at the end are fantastic.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Oh man, that's definitely a mockery of TMZ. I approve.

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Despite knowing this was a joke, I actually thought it was a reposted Blizzard joke. So I got meta-had.

That Wii is a pretty shitty shop, but the Wii remote looks boss as hell and I'd want one if it was real.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Conan O'Brien bought Mashable for $3500. It's been a more elaborate gag than I was expecting: the twitter profile was overhauled, I think Conan is posting from the twitter, and he made some videos including an exclusive reveal of the iTV.

Engadget is reviewing old devices, including the TI-83+.

Mojang tempting the gods with Mars Effect.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Atlus's new free DLC for Rock of Ages.

Announcing the Block of Ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O9ucNdqsQg

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Announcing the Block of Ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O9ucNdqsQg
    They actually had this not hidden for a couple of minutes when they first uploaded this yesterday.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Edit: Okay, that Rock Band one is actually good.
    It also brought newfound appreciation for those old animes; it's almost shocking comparing these shows to the kind of stuff that gets released today (and why we don't have anime threads anymore), even though the only difference with anime then and now is that the older stuff worked harder to maintain quality over animation budget.

This is a fallacy. There's just as much good stuff as back then and as much crap as back then. People only trend to remember the good.
    In fact it's easier to find the good recent stuff: look for the series that aren't moe bullshit.

vagrant_winds on
    The 'Sorry Australia' is a nice touch.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012

This is a fallacy. There's just as much good stuff as back then and as much crap as back then. People only trend to remember the good.
    In fact it's easier to find the good recent stuff: look for the series that aren't moe bullshit.

I dunno....to me it seems that the moe bullshit and breast comedy shows far outweigh even the traditional shonen type of animes, since both PA and nearly everywhere else in the internet has gotten in on this Salem Witch Hunt that "all anime is perverted with tentacles and underage girls".

Shows like that existed during Toonami's era too, but at the time there was a lot more positive buzz where every new show licensed by CN was met with excitement. Heck, if Toonami really was revived for 2012, what shows could they add to their lineup? One Piece, Bleach, and...that's about it. Dragon Ball Kai is licensed by WB last I checked, and Disney has Naruto.

As for "unique" anime experiences, it would be hilariously awesome if they had the balls to televise Madoka Magica, but other than that there aren't too many of those either.

I hate to turn into one of those "back in my day" types, but it's a sad fact that for the few good-to-excellent new animes, they are still buried under boring as shit harem and moe shows.

Also, while I'm glad they didn't do this, it would have been doubly hilarious if they did the Toonami April Fool's night while airing nothing but episodes of Pilot Candidate.

Seriously the worst anime I have ever watched. I think that got maybe one airing on CN before it was mind-wiped from existence.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    so thinkgeek does this every year? have they ever had such outrageous want for an item that they made it real?

cause that would own for that technomancer hoodie...

Two years later and still waiting for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0MX6oqJBno

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Kodak has developed printable kitten technology! D'awww...
    http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Home.htm

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I kind of wish the zergotchi was a real thing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?p=1900
    ATLANTA. April 1st, 2012. Today, Hi-Rez Studios announced that they have finally identified and corrected the ‘skiing bug’ within the popular Tribes gaming franchise.

The infamous bug was introduced in 1998 with the release of the original Starsiege: Tribes. A defect deep within the game’s physics subsystem allowed players to slide or ‘ski’ very quickly across wide-open terrain. For over 13 years, and across numerous Tribes sequels, this exploit has been used by players to gain incredible movement speeds – earning Tribes a reputation as the World’s Fastest Shooter.

Now, thanks to the debugging skills of Hi-Rez developer Don Zubis, skiing in Tribes has been eliminated.

“No more skiing! Tribes players can now travel at the more comfortable walking speed found in other modern shooters”, explains Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. “With this bug finally behind us, our dev team can move onto new gameplay mechanics including Super-Slow Walk, Go Prone, and the highly anticipated Crawl.”

The release date of Tribes: Ascend remains April 12, 2012. And Hi-Rez would not confirm whether this bug fix would indeed make it in time for that release build.

There remains significant risk that, on release day, Tribes: Ascend players will be able to go very, very fast.

I was amused.

Heh, cute.

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    This is just the thing that would get them out of debt.

steam_sig.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

This sounds suspiciously similar to that PA strip about PS3 updates.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm happy April Fools is on a Sunday this year; it seems to be seriously cutting down on a lot of the really dumb shit.

EDIT: Only a select few companies seem to put effort into it and make it enjoyable. If everyone was on par with Google or Thinkgeek or Blizzard it could actually be a fun day.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    *snip*

And if this level of customization still isn't enough to satiate your control of things, there's now Gmail Tap.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/introducing-gmail-tap.html
    *snip*
    Damn! Now if only they hadn't removed the code requirements for the ham exams:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Game's industry trolling on ME3 so hard today.

With Love and Courage
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is different I guess.

http://www.1up.com/previews/nintendo-dubstep-experience-3d-reinvent

edit: Also this goes with the toonami stuff and gaming also contains spoilers. So be wary of that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=435IDMsdJrI

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    from mmochamp, new goth Jaina model:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqKBToUtZfY

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    also, that's a surprisingly good review of ME3

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular

I dunno....to me it seems that the moe bullshit and breast comedy shows far outweigh even the traditional shonen type of animes, since both PA and nearly everywhere else in the internet has gotten in on this Salem Witch Hunt that "all anime is perverted with tentacles and underage girls".

Shows like that existed during Toonami's era too, but at the time there was a lot more positive buzz where every new show licensed by CN was met with excitement. Heck, if Toonami really was revived for 2012, what shows could they add to their lineup? One Piece, Bleach, and...that's about it. Dragon Ball Kai is licensed by WB last I checked, and Disney has Naruto.

As for "unique" anime experiences, it would be hilariously awesome if they had the balls to televise Madoka Magica, but other than that there aren't too many of those either.

I hate to turn into one of those "back in my day" types, but it's a sad fact that for the few good-to-excellent new animes, they are still buried under boring as shit harem and moe shows.

Also, while I'm glad they didn't do this, it would have been doubly hilarious if they did the Toonami April Fool's night while airing nothing but episodes of Pilot Candidate.

Seriously the worst anime I have ever watched. I think that got maybe one airing on CN before it was mind-wiped from existence.

I have an idea, although I'm not sure how popular it would be. At the risk of being flamed hard here, why doesn't AS just take the Saturday Action block they already have, and just slap the Toonami name and branding on it? I mean, currently it seems like it wouldn't have a place on present day CN, and all the people who watched it back then grew up. I say take a retro approach like with Nick's "90's are all that" block, give saturday schedule the name and branding, all the TOM bumpers and stuff, maybe slightly alter the schedule here and there, and it could work as a draw for both anime and nostalgia ratings. They don't even have to change the bumpers, the ones from 2005 were used for the april fools joke, and they worked out just fine, at most the biggest expense would probably be paying Steve Blum for voice acting.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I was expecting valve to do some half life 3 shenanigans but that would probably just piss fans off at this point.