As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Same time; there will be different channels for the regular and HD broadcasts, though, so make sure you're tuned into the right one.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yeah i notice when i go to a regular channel if there's an HD equivalent available it tells me and lets me switch to it with a button.

THE FUCKING FUTURE, MAN.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    incidentally since i have on demand i will also be rewatching all of S1 in HD for the first time. exciting.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    HBO2 is marathoning all of season one right now.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Watching Season 1 with my wife, we are up to the part where Ned takes an arro- sorry, a spear in the thigh. First thing she does when we start is say "Huh, too bad he is dead." during the opening credits. Me: "WTF? How do you know that already?" Lady Love: "I saw it on EW." Friggin' entertainment "news", hate those frakin shows, except for maybe The Soup (yeah, mock that reality tv, mmm, yeah, mock it good)...

Fine, I finally know how spoilers can ruin something for me. Totally taking advantage of the new spoiler rules though.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Watching Season 1 with my wife, we are up to the part where Ned takes an arro- sorry, a spear in the thigh. First thing she does when we start is say "Huh, too bad he is dead." during the opening credits. Me: "WTF? How do you know that already?" Lady Love: "I saw it on EW." Friggin' entertainment "news", hate those frakin shows, except for maybe The Soup (yeah, mock that reality tv, mmm, yeah, mock it good)...

Fine, I finally know how spoilers can ruin something for me. Totally taking advantage of the new spoiler rules though.

I had TV Guide spoil the biggest Dexter spoiler of all time on its freaking HOME PAGE. I was just trying to get to the listing grid! It wasn't even subtle, it was literally "How will X react to SPOILER!"

I did once hear someone comment that casting Sean Bean was itself a spoiler,

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Reread the first book and then burned through season 1 over the past few days. (I read the first 2 books about 4 years ago, but forgot most of the plot besides Ned, Arya, and Daenerys.) Excited for more tonight (although I have to get The Killing, Mad Men, and this paper out of the way, too).

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    This is probably the most useful page on all of tvtropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericanAccents

Lies, all of TV Tropes is useful! As evidenced by me still having tabs open from when I first discovered it 2 years ago. Ahem. :rotate:

Soo..how about dem Games and dem Thrones, eh? Looking forward to watching it tomorrow, it's a tad late in Europe now.

Also, I was considering reading the books..or at least the first one. 700-odd pages is a bit intimidating but I'd love to see how it compares to the show.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    yeah i notice when i go to a regular channel if there's an HD equivalent available it tells me and lets me switch to it with a button.

THE FUCKING FUTURE, MAN.

I still try to convince my wife to do this. She's the type that will sit there and watch everything in SD if you let her, because I don't know the channel numbers are lower or something.
    Maz- wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    This is probably the most useful page on all of tvtropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericanAccents

Lies, all of TV Tropes is useful! As evidenced by me still having tabs open from when I first discovered it 2 years ago. Ahem. :rotate:

Soo..how about dem Games and dem Thrones, eh? Looking forward to watching it tomorrow, it's a tad late in Europe now.

Also, I was considering reading the books..or at least the first one. 700-odd pages is a bit intimidating but I'd love to see how it compares to the show.

Well, the most I can say in this thread is that it's definitely better. Worth the read.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    So is there a legit way to pay to watch this online somewhere? I don't have any TV subscription anymore so I can't use that HBOGo thing.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    So is there a legit way to pay to watch this online somewhere? I don't have any TV subscription anymore so I can't use that HBOGo thing.

Pretty sure HBOGo is the only legit way to stream this, unless they're going to be putting them up on Amazon or something and no one's told me.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Meh, *insert rant about the stupidity of companies not giving customers a way to give them money*

Edit: I guess this is relevant: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Dracil on
    Dracil wrote: »
    Meh, *insert rant about the stupidity of companies not giving customers a way to give them money*

It's really not as simple as that, apparently the way HBO and other premium channels make money can get a bit complex. It's not like Netflix, where you give Netflix money and Netflix gives you content (that they've licensed from elsewhere). HBO only gets a portion of subscriber fees, cable companies keep the rest. But then there are other deals involved, deals which give HBO an incentive to keep the "value" of their currently-airing content high. For instance, if you go to log in to HBO Go on your Xbox, you'll notice that only some providers qualify. Same for a computer. And interestingly, these are not the same providers. You, as an "HBO customer," don't pay for HBO Go. Your cable provider pays some amount of money to HBO to get you access...when you log in to HBO Go you do it as a Comcast customer, not an HBO customer. Which is why even though I can watch HBO on my HTPC, I can't do it on my Xbox.

Silly stuff.

But the long and short of it is that they want more of your money than you'd be likely to give for the season. Yes, it costs $35 on Blu-Ray, at least at release. But that's after the season has aired, and all your friends have stopped talking about it. They want you to pay $10-$20 a month while it airs, then have to pay another $35 or more if you want to own the show later after you cancel that subscription. And they want cash from your cable provider so you can watch it online, or catch up on past seasons. The price they'd likely charge, assuming they ever moved to an Amazon-On-Demand offering as it aired, would probably be more like $75 for the season, and would then be discounted only after the season has completed, and probably closer to the airing of the next season.

Additionally, they're probably going for the same kind of thing FX is going for, where they're hoping that if you subscribe you'll see other shows that interest you, and stay a subscriber all year round (or in FX's case, that you'll see promos for other shows during a given program, and become a regular viewer of the channel).

edited April 2012
    Oh I understand the business level reasons. But the reality of what will actually happen is as the comic goes.

And who knows, if they sold it for $100-$200 to stream it at the same time as it airs, I'm sure some people will snatch it up.

Dracil on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    I do understand the dynamic at play, but the fact that my only way to pay money for this content is pay 50+ dollars on a bunch of cable content I probably won't use is deeply frustrating.

I'm pretty okay putting down a couple dollars an episode on Mad Men, for example, and would be more than happy to do the same for GoT. I mean, my parents have HBO so I can catch up on the show when I see them so no big deal for me, but if they don't want me to buy individual episodes or let me have a standalone subscription then I'm fine with putting the money elsewhere.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    I do understand the dynamic at play, but the fact that my only way to pay money for this content is pay 50+ dollars on a bunch of cable content I probably won't use is deeply frustrating.

I'm pretty okay putting down a couple dollars an episode on Mad Men, for example, and would be more than happy to do the same for GoT. I mean, my parents have HBO so I can catch up on the show when I see them so no big deal for me, but if they don't want me to buy individual episodes or let me have a standalone subscription then I'm fine with putting the money elsewhere.

But again, it wouldn't be a couple bucks. It'd be more. I get the feeling that HBO manages to extract a lot of money from cable customers without them realizing it, such that the fair market price of a show (as it airs) would be more than it costs on disc, and the fair market price of an online-only subscription would be significantly more than you pay through your provider. That every cable provider I know of is constantly throwing around "free" HBO for up to a year suggests that there's even some subsidization going on from customers that don't even have access to HBO.

I'm probably a little more laid back about this, though, because the only option I have for high speed internet at my location is my cable company. Which puts me in that "it costs the same to have TV as not to" camp, since if I drop the TV programming my internet price goes up. It's actually a bit ridiculous; right now I'm paying $30 more than a 6Mbit connection would cost to get 12Mbit, some TV package or another, and HBO.

Also, if your parents have HBO and if their provider participates in HBO Go, you could always see if they'd share their login/password...

mcdermott on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The thing is, though, I'd pay $15/month for HBO by itself (the general cost for just HBO from a cable company). I'd gladly pay it directly to HBO.

I'm not willing to pay the $70+ I would need to before I could pay $15 for HBO.

I get it all for free anyway, so it's not really a relevant point for me.

But it's HBO's business model, and if it lets them spend a few million a year to bring me Game of Thrones, I'm not going to complain.

edited April 2012
    Also: Have I said how gorgeous the shots of Drogo's pyre are? Because they are gorgeous.

Not that the rest of the serious isn't, because it is. 40 minutes!

Tomanta on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    When do the episodes get to HBO Go?

Basically should I wait 10 minutes, or go do something else with my night?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    I think they go up right after the episode finishes airing.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Wheeeeeeee

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    Shut up, all of you.

Stupid Pacific time zone.

Tomanta wrote: »
    I think they go up right after the episode finishes airing.

Ah well that sucks. Not as much as next day would suck, but still.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I believe HBOGo becomes available as the show premieres, at least for GoT. Several articles I've found about HBO Go seem to imply that, anwyay.

I hope it's true, because our cable home installation failed and we are relying on GO. Sigh.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I wanted so much more. :( Ah well.

Stannis is approved.

wVEsyIc.png
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    The direwolves are perfect this time.

Joffrey is such a little shit.

My favorite parts:
    Dolorous Edd: "I Was born in a place like this. Later I fell on hard times."
    Stannis on what to call Jaime in his letter. Perfectly sums up Stannis.
    The animals. The dragons and the wolves both look amazing.

The episode lacks not having any sort of through-line, but does a good job at re-establishing the characters and setting the seasons plots in motion. It fits quite a lot into an hour.

edited April 2012
    Dammit, new episode is still not on GO.

EDIT: never mind, now it is, either it just got posted or I needed to go out and back in.

Uselesswarrior on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Usually when networks get things up immediately after airtime they mean immediately after west coast air time. Of course CBS is the only one who's any good about that kind of thing, but they put things up when it's done on the west coast.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man last season was pretty, but S2 is without debate the nicest looking show on TV now.

Sooo puuurdy

Also the showrunners are clearly feeling a bit more confident to stray off script from the books a bit more. I really don't mind so far.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Man, mellisandre is fucking hot. Also, I pictured stannis looking... More like Robert. And a prick. Davos was cool.

• RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    Huge improvement on the animal effects.

Am glad they decided to not cross the line of on-screen baby stabbing.

Man, mellisandre is fucking hot. Also, I pictured stannis looking... More like Robert. And a prick. Davos was cool.

I thought he'd look like;
    230px-HalfLife_GMan.jpg

except gauntier.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Dammit, new episode is still not on GO.

EDIT: never mind, now it is, either it just got posted or I needed to go out and back in.

I usually watch the episodes on GO as they air - the trick is they usually show up around 9:10 pm Eastern, but sometimes they're as late as 10:00pm Eastern. I've never had an episode start right at 9pm, though.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Man, mellisandre is fucking hot.

iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I am eagerly awaiting the appearance of the new
    extended version of
    a1ZES.gif

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice that the fat drunk idiot has an american flag for his standard?

An hour isn't enough.

I'm probably spoiled by the fact that I watched half of the first season in one sitting, but it's too bad they couldn't do a two hour premiere.

Cabezone wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the fat drunk idiot has an american flag for his standard?

I see greeeeeeeeaaat things for that man.

:rotate:

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Turns out Joffrey should've killed Captain America when he had the chance

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.