As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

April bullshit fool roundup you fuckers.

13»

• MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    so thinkgeek does this every year? have they ever had such outrageous want for an item that they made it real?

cause that would own for that technomancer hoodie...

Every year, I think. I know the Tauntaun sleeping bag was a huge one.

There was a T-shirt that was an April Fool's joke that they eventually had made due to demand... the Personal Soundtrack T-shirt.
    It happening again is well within the realm of possibility.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Edit: Okay, that Rock Band one is actually good.
    It also brought newfound appreciation for those old animes; it's almost shocking comparing these shows to the kind of stuff that gets released today (and why we don't have anime threads anymore), even though the only difference with anime then and now is that the older stuff worked harder to maintain quality over animation budget.

This is a fallacy. There's just as much good stuff as back then and as much crap as back then. People only trend to remember the good.
    In fact it's easier to find the good recent stuff: look for the series that aren't moe bullshit.

I dunno....to me it seems that the moe bullshit and breast comedy shows far outweigh even the traditional shonen type of animes, since both PA and nearly everywhere else in the internet has gotten in on this Salem Witch Hunt that "all anime is perverted with tentacles and underage girls".

Shows like that existed during Toonami's era too, but at the time there was a lot more positive buzz where every new show licensed by CN was met with excitement. Heck, if Toonami really was revived for 2012, what shows could they add to their lineup? One Piece, Bleach, and...that's about it. Dragon Ball Kai is licensed by WB last I checked, and Disney has Naruto.

As for "unique" anime experiences, it would be hilariously awesome if they had the balls to televise Madoka Magica, but other than that there aren't too many of those either.

I hate to turn into one of those "back in my day" types, but it's a sad fact that for the few good-to-excellent new animes, they are still buried under boring as shit harem and moe shows.

Also, while I'm glad they didn't do this, it would have been doubly hilarious if they did the Toonami April Fool's night while airing nothing but episodes of Pilot Candidate.

Seriously the worst anime I have ever watched. I think that got maybe one airing on CN before it was mind-wiped from existence.

I have an idea, although I'm not sure how popular it would be. At the risk of being flamed hard here, why doesn't AS just take the Saturday Action block they already have, and just slap the Toonami name and branding on it? I mean, currently it seems like it wouldn't have a place on present day CN, and all the people who watched it back then grew up. I say take a retro approach like with Nick's "90's are all that" block, give saturday schedule the name and branding, all the TOM bumpers and stuff, maybe slightly alter the schedule here and there, and it could work as a draw for both anime and nostalgia ratings. They don't even have to change the bumpers, the ones from 2005 were used for the april fools joke, and they worked out just fine, at most the biggest expense would probably be paying Steve Blum for voice acting.

This is actually the realistic resolution I was hoping for. They could still call it [Adult Swim], but keep Tom as a host.

"We now return to Children's Hospital".

Everything is better with Tom hosting.

I don't foresee a chance anytime soon for a return to daytime Toonami; as mentioned before, there just isn't enough anime that can be reasonably censored for syndication and/or gain the interest of teens/kids.

At least an AS/Toonami merger allows for more "mature" anime acquisitions, as well as keep the good non-anime stuff (Metalocalypse, Venture Bros) and the occasional terrible live idea.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i have a thread up in SE about toonami, and how there is a very real chance it can be brought back with enough positive feedback. we even discussed a few shows that could air in the new slot. if you are interested in it, check it out. (plus there's like, a billion youtubes of great shows from toonami)

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Yeah, all this April Fool's has done is convince me I really should have watched AS/Toonami last night. I'm like, depressed now.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I have never seen Toonami

Didn't they just show a bunch of bad anime like DBZ while Adult Swim showed all the cool anime like Cowboy Bebop and YYH?

Toonami predates AS by a good deal, and used to be the block where you'd get the good anime before AS had it. I mean, Big O, multiple Gundam series, Eva, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_Swim

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    My idea of good anime is pretty much limited to the two I listed

Did it air either of those?

Pretty sure they aired YYH; wikipedia link confirms.

Anyway, we're off-topicing, so I'm linking Local H Jay's Toonami thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/158139/this-is-the-save-toonami-thread-for-babbys-check-op-for-details-you-candycorns

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I'm sorry you have bad taste if those are the only ones you liked.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I'm sorry you have bad taste if those are the only ones you liked.

That's how Unbreakable Vow works. His tastes are unique and his own.

I am super sad I didn't know about toonami though, that's awesome. Not a ton of awesome this year it seems. Blizzards was cute enough. Thinkgeek's is fun but seems to be more of a "let's see if people would actually want this" showcase than a prank (but let's not kid ourselves, everyone wants the technomage hoodie), 8 bit google maps was cool, but nothing has really tricked me.

Ok I did wake up and check reddit without thinking and see "half life: episode 3 released!" and have a minor "wait WHAT" before seeing the post date as "heat death of the universe".

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Italax wrote: »
    AdBlock now shows cats instead of ads.

Isn't that a feature? Not a joke?

:( I thought so too. I want it to stay!

I think it is. It's well through April 2nd here and the only change they made to it is automatically turning it off but you can turn it back on in the options.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Man, I totally would have watched Toonami last night if I'd have known. I flipped it on and did find it odd they were showing Yu Yu Hakusho (and wow, that show was awful :P Why did I ever watch that?). Somehow I didn't see any of the Tom stuff :(

So what else did they show? Did they show Reboot? :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Quake Live is doing something called SuperSpace. I just played a little bit and it's like 4 maps combined into one. It's actually kind of fun though.

Oh and the Mass Effect 80s style cartoon. Which I would totally watch if it was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOqHUa2LfNY

On the topic of anime, I know this is an April's Fool, but this really really reminds me of Macross 7. Let's fight aliens by forming a rock band full of VFs and project spiritual energy at the bastards!

Can't find a good video to embed now, but the premise was true Macross - music saves the day. Campy like hell still but the music was fabulous!

steam_sig.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ok, this is pretty great:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/comics//comments/rnpiw/mindboggling_xkcd_april_fools_comic/

Apparently yesterday/today's xkcd changes based on location/browser/other variables.

This one made me laugh:
    NfAwh.png

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Ok, this is pretty great:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/comics//comments/rnpiw/mindboggling_xkcd_april_fools_comic/

Apparently yesterday/today's xkcd changes based on location/browser/other variables.

This one made me laugh:
    NfAwh.png

One of those variables is apparently whether you followed a link from reddit.

• InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Slimcea wrote: »
    On the topic of anime, I know this is an April's Fool, but this really really reminds me of Macross 7. Let's fight aliens by forming a rock band full of VFs and project spiritual energy at the bastards!

Can't find a good video to embed now, but the premise was true Macross - music saves the day. Campy like hell still but the music was fabulous!

I love you for this reference. BOMBER!!!!!!

Yoshiki Fukuyama (Basara's singing voice) also sang the opening for Busou Renkin. That song sounds like it came straight out of Macross 7, but of course a lot of his music does.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I posted about it in the D&D April Fools thread, but since it's practically the only podcast I listen to I think I should put it up here as well.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/

Had a great April Fools podcast.