As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    @TripleB
    oh good, someone who hasn't read the books
    hopefully you can offer your insight and settle something I've been discussing with a friend
    What was your impression of the scene where Dany speaks with the dude she sends off on a horse before he rides off
    like what did you gather from the tone of that scene about those two?

I'm assuming you mean Rakharo, the guy from season 1 who she named one of her blood riders.

Judging solely based on Season 2 - Episode 1, it seems like Dany has secretly fucked or is preparing to secretly fuck every guy she speaks to. In addition to Rakharo, I'm 90% convinced Jorah's either already hit that shit, or he's about to as well.

@Prohass , Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for the removal of any particular scenes. Like, at all. I was being 100% serious when I said

Triple B wrote: »
    God I love gritty medieval fantasy.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ok yeah, that's the impression i got too
    heh i forgot, having read the first book, you should know who rakharo is by now lol that was just me being intentionally vague and just describing the scene

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll admit, after season one I just outright caved and read the books. I loved Ned Stark (and Khal Drogo), and after watching both of them bite it I was like "Well, fuck, doesn't anyone I love survive?" Simply put, I couldn't wait a year at a time to see if they'd be around next season or not.

And yes, the books are fantastic, but I'll recognize the massive NO BOOKS in the thread title and shut up about em'. Just glad the show's back, and I look forward to seeing how it all goes down on TV.

On the plus side, I have a close friend, my dad, and my girlfriend who have all never even touched one of the books to watch the show with. It's great to be able, even if I was too weak to do it myself, to observe others as they see the events unfold on TV. Still gotta get my woman caught up through the rest of season one (the white walkers freaked her out, took forever to get her to watch anything after the first episode... but starting to win her over.) And she thought the command to kill Lady was evil. Which it was, don't get me wrong, I want to live in a world where puppies never die, but man... maybe I should just forget showing her the rest and wait to enjoy True Blood with her again this summer.

Cause hey, Eric Northman is a badass.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man they did a pretty good job considering everything they had to establish and prepare for.

I think one problem is that Renly looks quite unremarkable. There are so many normal-looking, slightly hairy blokes already, so non-readers of the book might have difficulties. Things will get messy enough when the Dornish and all the Eastern civilizations and groups get involved. A lot of what happens now is influenced by what happened under Aerys, and those events are only talked about.

Also Winterfell still looks a little too unimpressive, especially now that King's Landing is getting fancy shots aplenty. It's almost like Dragonstone in terms of dreariness.

Absalon on
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    wait, some of us here really appreciate the titty bouncing.

Because of the pathos.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Jack Gleeson is doing a really amazing job at selling Joffrey as a little shit. One of the best actors in the series by far.

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    the_Frollo wrote: »

Because of the pathos.

I know I'm certainly more emotionally attached to that anonymous whore now that I've seen her tit-tays doing the Charleston.
    reVerse wrote: »
    Jack Gleeson is doing a really amazing job at selling Joffrey as a little shit. One of the best actors in the series by far.

Yeah, I have to agree, regardless of how much I hate the character. It's hard to believe this is the "The other kids won't believe me" kid from Batman Begins.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I dont think my point was about attaching us to the whores, so much as world-building, and not just with the titty scenes, all the little side scenes or where the camera lingers.

Triple B wrote: »
    the_Frollo wrote: »

Because of the pathos.

I know I'm certainly more emotionally attached to that anonymous whore now that I've seen her tit-tays doing the Charleston.

Yeah, I have to agree, regardless of how much I hate the character. It's hard to believe this is the "The other kids won't believe me" kid from Batman Begins.

Holy crap, I had no idea! Damn it, Batman, you let the most dangerous sociopath you've ever crossed paths with escape!

To add on, Jack Gleeson is also doing a terrific job (though really, I think I could say that about nearly all of the cast, if not all).

One of my rules of thumb with actors is, if they're playing a villain can they make me legitimately hate them. If so, I tend to have the opinion they're a pretty damn good actor. Gleeson has succeeded in this. I just want to see that smug little twerp die most brutally, and it's all because Gleeson conveys "little psycho shithead" so well. His scene with Cersei where she slaps him and he coldly says "What you just did is punishable by death," was damn chilling, as was the absolute look of horror on Cersei's face.

Also, someone needs to make an updated Joffrey getting slapped animated gif. The more ways Joff gets slapped, the happier I am.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I especially loved the part in that scene,
    where, despite being a petulant little shit, he's still attempting to speak with the kind of cruel authority he's becoming known for. And when cersei cuts him off with a slap, he fucking shrieks, just like he did when tyrion whalloped him

He's good at going from sadistic to pathetic as quick as a, well, slap.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    I must admit I do agree with his idea of cohesive decore, but I dont agree with his baby killing policy (although is it certain it was him? People are saying its changed from the books, but I didnt hear anyone mention that it was Joffrey specifically, just "someone who doesnt care what Balish thinks")

Also making Balish more human, and therefore getting baited into a verbal match with Cersai, I think is a process of trying to differentiate him from the eunich, and kind of getting viewers warmed up for his sympathetic backstory. It would be nice if they kept him as the reserved master planner, but in reality it wouldnt give him much to do.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    To add on, Jack Gleeson is also doing a terrific job (though really, I think I could say that about nearly all of the cast, if not all).

One of my rules of thumb with actors is, if they're playing a villain can they make me legitimately hate them. If so, I tend to have the opinion they're a pretty damn good actor. Gleeson has succeeded in this. I just want to see that smug little twerp die most brutally, and it's all because Gleeson conveys "little psycho shithead" so well. His scene with Cersei where she slaps him and he coldly says "What you just did is punishable by death," was damn chilling, as was the absolute look of horror on Cersei's face.

Also, someone needs to make an updated Joffrey getting slapped animated gif. The more ways Joff gets slapped, the happier I am.

Why do I think there's another scene I'm forgetting...anyway:
    ePTOV.gif

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Prohass wrote: »
    Also making Balish more human, and therefore getting baited into a verbal match with Cersai, I think is a process of trying to differentiate him from the eunich, and kind of getting viewers warmed up for his sympathetic backstory. It would be nice if they kept him as the reserved master planner, but in reality it wouldnt give him much to do.

The actor does bring a certain loveable smugness to him, and I do wish they give him plenty of screen time.

reVerse on
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Comradebot wrote: »

Why do I think there's another scene I'm forgetting...anyway:
    ePTOV.gif

You sir, are a true hero to the people.

Now we just need to quadruple it in size and post it on every page.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The thing is, as much as it would be nice to get rid of titty bouncing scenes, or the slow quiet scenes that seem to go nowhere, in order to fill it with more action or something of more significance, sometimes you need scenes that remind you you're in a world, and that not everything is on a set of train tracks. I find that when the plot is set within this world, its more satisfying and believable when we get to actually experience that world as it is for the majority of people the majority of the time, you need those little vignettes even though you could use them to squeeze in another character or more time with a 'main'.

Also can I just say how fucking AMAZING the city shots were in this episode, for the first time you really get the sense that Kings Landing is a huge city. Man backdrops like this are stuff im used to seeing in feature films, we are so lucky. Especially in sequences where its not a 'shot', but simply buildings and stuff added in the background, gives such a sense of depth, made the whole episode feel much bigger than anything in season 1.

Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

The actor does bring a certain loveable smugness to him, and I do wish they give him plenty of screen time.

One thing i noticed is for this season he appears to be on cast billing in the titles. So yeah he's gettin some good screen time

I feel ive been misunderstood as an anti-titty activist, let me put those titties to rest, I mean fears.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i will assassinate anyone who is anti titty-bounce

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

WAR CHU! Keep titties bouncing errday.

It's fun typing that outside the MMA thread...

Anywho, me and the GF were wondering if the Melisandre scene was amazingly confusing to non book readers?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Come at me bro! The titty bounce scene basically just had me put my hands on my hips and go "oh HBO, you so silly." It could've been dropped and nothing would have been lost to me. It felt like a scene to hit a quota, mostly.

Also I forget who said it but I agree with them, Stannis is super bland visually. In the scene where they introduce him and Davos and Melisandra I had assumed Davos was Stannis because Davos was more visually interesting, and that Stannis was just some generic crowd knight at first.

Conisdering it was a set up episode it was good, hopefully in episode 2 we will start getting to some real meat and potatoes.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Anywho, me and the GF were wondering if the Melisandre scene was amazingly confusing to non book readers?

They spend a great deal of time in the first season talking about the old gods of the north and their trees... and the seven gods of the southern lands, in whom many/most were named in the light of...

And now there is a new woman saying that HER god of light is cooler than these seven, fuck those guys. And the world is a scary fucking place, so you better stick with my god if you don't want to be ruined by it.

Pretty standard religious zealotry at the moment. And they have done a fair job establishing that people are somewhat faithful in this world, even if there hasn't been any outwardly miraculous stuff to speak of.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I dunno if preivews are spoilers but
    holy fuck Balon looks badass

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Come at me bro! The titty bounce scene basically just had me put my hands on my hips and go "oh HBO, you so silly." It could've been dropped and nothing would have been lost to me. It felt like a scene to hit a quota, mostly.

Also I forget who said it but I agree with them, Stannis is super bland visually. In the scene where they introduce him and Davos and Melisandra I had assumed Davos was Stannis because Davos was more visually interesting, and that Stannis was just some generic crowd knight at first.

Conisdering it was a set up episode it was good, hopefully in episode 2 we will start getting to some real meat and potatoes.

Which sets up the preview for the coming weeks nicely:
    spoilered for Renly's one-liner
    "Nobody wants you as king, Stannis!" beautiful men only.

belligerent on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Stannis is supposed to be super bland. That's like the only noteworthy thing about the dude, is how bland he is and how nobody likes him because he's boring and stuffy.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Stannis is supposed to be super bland. That's like the only noteworthy thing about the dude, is how bland he is and how nobody likes him because he's boring and stuffy.

He has the personality of a lobster.

Something I forgot about but really loved was the music that played over the final scenes of the episode, how it was the same theme as when the King arrived in Winterfell but much, much darker.

• RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular

Boring and stuffy. And bitter. Supremely bitter. And possessing of a feeling of entitlement for his years of bitterness.

Stannis is scary.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Boring and stuffy. And bitter. Supremely bitter. And possessing of a feeling of entitlement for his years of bitterness.

Stannis is scary.

Seriously... entitlement is the scariest thing on this show. Every time someone feels entitled, you know someone's gonna die.

Also, mad love for Sansa in this episode. Especially considering how much she annoyed me in S1.
    The brief moment where Tyrion looked at her and showed so much pain on his face... It really is tragic. She can't even mourn for her family out of fear of Joffrey.

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    I like how Stannis works, and its sort of a shame that we don't get to see him alongside Robert, because I feel he would make so much more sense then.

Robert is this enormous, dominating personality, Renly was the spoiled young one, so how was middle brother Stannis going to stand out? By being the dutiful & serious one. Of course, he's not actually any less self-involved than any other Baratheon, but he certainly cultivates that delusion.

This season is going to be fun :)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

I don't know. I always thought of Stannis, and Robert as well, as these huge bulks of men that have fallen into disrepair. One fat and one gaunt. In my head I saw a someone like Brian Blessed (in his younger years of course and taller) for Robert and with stannis someone like Bill Nighy (but bigger).

• RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    izzyb wrote: »
    I like how Stannis works, and its sort of a shame that we don't get to see him alongside Robert, because I feel he would make so much more sense then.

Robert is this enormous, dominating personality, Renly was the spoiled young one, so how was middle brother Stannis going to stand out? By being the dutiful & serious one. Of course, he's not actually any less self-involved than any other Baratheon, but he certainly cultivates that delusion.

This season is going to be fun :)

Oh yeah. He's got a lot of "middle child" issues going on. He could never out-Robert Robert. Renly is probably, at most, 8 years younger than him (I'd say less than that probably). So his youngest child period was curtailed.

When you're bookended by two other kids, that limits your growth in certain areas, forcing that development down other paths. Such as focus. And ruthlessness. And, once more, entitlement. "My beloved brother Robert - No no, take that out. It's not true."

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular

see the titty bounce was brilliant because it had me all "oh HBO, you so silly." and then..
    baby massacre D:

valiance wrote: »

see the titty bounce was brilliant because it had me all "oh HBO, you so silly." and then..
    baby massacre D:
    IM IN UR BROTHELS, STABBIN UR BASTERDZ!

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Stannis is scary.

And possessing that honor/lawfulness that was so endearing (read: frustrating) when Ned Stark did it.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    By the way, King's Landing is Dubrovnik, Croatia, this year, which is why it looks so much more impressive. Malta, you are lame.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

Stannis is scary.

Think about it from his perspective, though. Stannis got shafted in life. He helps his brother win the throne by being a brilliant battle commander. His brother gives him this keep out in the middle of nowhere on an island because he needs a good commander to guard Westeros from any naval threats. Stannis then puts down the Greyjoy rebellion to keep his brother on the throne, since the Greyjoys were primarily a naval threat. After all these decades of service, when his brother dies, what happens? His younger brother and a bunch of other rebellious kings show up to try and take his throne. He has a right to be supremely bitter about things.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

They spend a great deal of time in the first season talking about the old gods of the north and their trees... and the seven gods of the southern lands, in whom many/most were named in the light of...

And now there is a new woman saying that HER god of light is cooler than these seven, fuck those guys. And the world is a scary fucking place, so you better stick with my god if you don't want to be ruined by it.

Pretty standard religious zealotry at the moment. And they have done a fair job establishing that people are somewhat faithful in this world, even if there hasn't been any outwardly miraculous stuff to speak of.

But is that everything you got out of the scene? Because if so my point stands.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »

But is that everything you got out of the scene? Because if so my point stands.

which scene? The beach scene or the one at the table? I'm not going to do a full writeup of it or anything, and yes there was a lot going on there at both scenes... but I don't think it was all that confusing. Just more introductory of a mysterious new character.

Keep in mind that there are nine more episodes for them to flesh out Mel, and in the opening scene of the book who she was/is was not laid out on the table.

Any more to be said than that should probably go in the other thread which also lets people talk about the books.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I thought this episode was excellent. Whether or not much happened (though I thought quite a bit did), it was significantly better paced than the early episodes of Season 1, and the use of comet in the sky as a transitional element felt like a smart way of gently moving between locations. Though I will say that I thought the comet itself seemed to stick out a bit too much as a digital element, like it just looked like some fluorescent photoshop smear on the sky.

So may great facial expressions though, including my favorite where Cersei seems to be simultaneously regretting the fact that her son is a despicable shit (from a motherly perspective) AND that she's gone and raised him to a position of power, such that he can chastise her for slapping him.

Also, anyone know if they had to the get a new actor for Gendry? It was only a brief shot, but he looked quite different, though that may have just been an age thing.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Other places say it's an aging thing. Or, in the words of a couple girls/women I know, "He got hot over the break!"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.