As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wizardry: Town of Forsaken Spirits - Localization Initiative

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
iboavruhycGDCE.png

So, anyone with a PS3 who's into dungeon crawlers probably knows about this game.

tofs2.png
main-splash.jpg
Ironhandbeingawesomelyrudetoyou.jpg

Labyrinth of Lost Souls hit the PSN almost a year ago.

It's a damn miracle it got localized, to be honest. None of the other games in the 'Wizardry Renaissance' have come out here, and it doesn't look like the DS game will either.

Sadly, there's been no sign of any more of those games coming over to the US.

But I think we have a chance to show XSeed and Acquire we aren't satisfied with one go round.

We want the sequel too.

tofs.png

Town of Forsaken Spirits looks to be better than its predecessor in every way. More expansive dungeons, a new setting, new job classes, and lots more to do.

ss10.jpg

It's also fully voice acted.

Now, we ain't Project Rainfall. I don't expect the same kind of turnout or even the same outpouring of support, especially not for a niche, hardcore dungeon crawler.

But this is a similar situation. The PS3 is damn lacking in (good) exclusive RPGs.

I think a game like this would serve us much better than the likes of the cookie cutter JRPGs we've been getting in the US lately.

There's been no word from XSeed as to whether or not we'll get the sequel.

So, here's the gameplan.

This isn't a kickstarter. I propose that, if you don't own Labyrinth of Lost Souls on the PSN, you go buy it.

If you do own it, go buy the DLC; The Red Shadow of the Sister.
($14.99 and $4.99 respectively.)

637237_220878.jpg

If you decide to buy both, even better. If the game picks up a massive spike of sales, someone at XSeed, Acquire, or maybe even SCEA will notice.

And that just might get us the sequel localized. It sure couldn't hurt.

Worse case scenario? You get to enjoy a solid dungeon crawling experience.

So I say there's nothing to lose.

If you decide to support the initiative in any way, please let us know, and spread the word by any means. Heck, buy that EXP Fruit(.99) if it comes to that.

Let's keep the Renaissance rolling.

w.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    With XSeed now publishing Falcom's PC games, there's a good chance that Dinosaur could appear on Steam.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You have my axe. And my monies already. Already bought it man. :P

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Bought this on day 1 but didn't really finish. Got to the point where it was taking 5-6 hits to kill anything and gave up. Apparently there are some godlike weapon drops but I managed to not find any.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Damn. I thought this was a thread that Town of Forsaken Spirits had just been localized.

And I already own Labyrinth and the DLC.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It if funny how the series is now a Japanese one. I like how the focus is on high res art.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It if funny how the series is now a Japanese one. I like how the focus is on high res art.

Wizardry has always been a Japanese series.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

No it hasn't.

Also, Labyrinth of Lost Souls was terrible. I love dungeon crawlers but it was just so awful.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Except when it wasn't. Since it was made by a murrican, and the first 8 games are all in english.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wizardry 8 was the best god dang game.

• Options
    I love 8. The Gadgeteer (?) class was awesome with that gun that shoots any ammo. And making crazy gadgets of course, adventure-game style.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Hear hear. I like the retro nature of the Japanese ones, but I'd kill for a proper Wiz9. :(

• Options
    Yep. Up until Wiz8, it was American made by Sir-Tech. That one was really a nice ending to whole thing. Then, XSeed got a hold of it and took their own spin.

• Options
    I just finished reinstalling Wiz8 to hold me over between NWN2 multiplayer sessions. I remember there being a few good mods for it but it's been so long I can't remember the names or where to get them. Anyone know?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Not tried it, but Combat Monster Movement Accelerator at the bottom there sounds like it'd be pretty handy.

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    I played the Wizardy PSN game a lot, and imo it was actually kind of terrible, but it was in a very hidden way that most people didn't notice because they stopped playing beforehand.

The game was COMPLETELY dependent on rare weapon drops from rare monsters to finish the final floor. There was literally nothing you could do to acquire those weapons other then grind small sections of the map over and over. In most games this isn't so bad, because at least you'll level and get stronger. However, in the PSN game, you don't get any noticeable increases from leveling after a certain point. The only way to get strong is getting to the highest level while savescumming hp gains, rebirthing, then savescumming HP gain yet again. Horrible system and completely unfun.

The only thing was was worse was the rare weapon grind. It was complete BS, you could be talking to a buddy who got some god killer sword on level 5, meanwhile you could have 40hours more playtime than him, be at the second to last floor, but still be behind him in terms of who is going to be first to beat the game.

I grinded 6 hours for a better weapon before I finally turned this game off and never came back. The game had really fun elements, but it has some of the most outdated, antiquated, and terrible game mechanics from the distant past. There are so many better game mechanics people have developed since then that it just makes it even worse. I really loved the art design in the game as well as some of their original systems. Its a shame the game was so fundamentally flawed though. It really could have been great.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I played the Wizardy PSN game a lot, and imo it was actually kind of terrible, but it was in a very hidden way that most people didn't notice because they stopped playing beforehand.
    Class of Heroes frontloaded that. Character creation gave you a random amount of bonus skill points to spend and if you're new to the game and just went with the average 6-8 points you got your ass handed to you by the end of the first dungeon.
    Enjoy entering and exiting the char creation until you get a decent amount of points. Yeah yeah, "but you don't NEED to do it", no, but I don't NEED to enjoy the game either, I just choose to. And getting killed because a character got targeted two times in a row the same turn is not fun.

[edit] Based solely on the country of origin Wizardry 8 is a very different experience, aside from combat. Japanese Wizardry games are very late 80s dungeon crawlers.

Glal on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Japanese Wizardry games are usually based more on the 4-7 model, though they actually started making their own spinoffs quite a bit before the 8th game came out over here.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I somehow missed Wizardry 8 back when it was released. Any tips on where to find it now? I'd really like to dig into it.

That said, would A Tower of Forsaken Spirits scratch that sort of itch?

I don't believe there's a legal download source for it; at least I've never been able to find one. You can find the physical copies still for $scary.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Class of Heroes frontloaded that. Character creation gave you a random amount of bonus skill points to spend and if you're new to the game and just went with the average 6-8 points you got your ass handed to you by the end of the first dungeon.
    Enjoy entering and exiting the char creation until you get a decent amount of points. Yeah yeah, "but you don't NEED to do it", no, but I don't NEED to enjoy the game either, I just choose to. And getting killed because a character got targeted two times in a row the same turn is not fun.

[edit] Based solely on the country of origin Wizardry 8 is a very different experience, aside from combat. Japanese Wizardry games are very late 80s dungeon crawlers.

Played this game too =), remember stat rolling quite well. However, I remember it being fairly easy to do, I think there was a RNG trick to get high rolls.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I farking love the "re-rroll till SAMURAI" feature. I also like trying new characters with just the default 7-8 points. It's hard as balls but still pretty fun, almost like a hardcore mode.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    Ah, the bad old days of computer gaming. Where you had to re-roll 500 times til you got decent stats. Because the games were balanced around you re-rolling 500 times til you got decent stats.

And 15 parties of F)emale F)uzzy F)ighters to create so you can steal their starting gear to sell it to gather gold to outfit your real party.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    I don't understand why people are nostalgic for the cesspool of game mechanics from early dungeon crawlers. Those systems are so damn awful. You either have to spend hours rerolling, or spend many more hours playing the game, then hitting a wall and being forced to start over or quit.

I DO NOT like having to reroll stats over and over, being forced to grind for ultra rare drops in order to proceed, being forced to read a guide beforehand or risk making a fatal early mistake that makes the game unplayable later, or level up gains that are entirely dependent on luck and force you to savescum or be at the mercy of the RNG making your game unplayable.

Why can't we be nostalgic about the good stuff from these and cut all the horrible? I'm nostalgic about the sense of exploration, danger, and discovery. Of finding cool loots, interesting dungeon areas, monsters, and puzzles. I like character development, advanced class and skill unlocks, and creating a synergistic party.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    That's why we have Entrian Odessey and other stuff like Unchain Blades (Rexx) and 7th Dragon series still coming out. Yay for updated dungeon crawlers.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I don't understand why people are nostalgic for the cesspool of game mechanics from early dungeon crawlers. Those systems are so damn awful. You either have to spend hours rerolling, or spend many more hours playing the game, then hitting a wall and being forced to start over or quit.

I DO NOT like having to reroll stats over and over, being forced to grind for ultra rare drops in order to proceed, being forced to read a guide beforehand or risk making a fatal early mistake that makes the game unplayable later, or level up gains that are entirely dependent on luck and force you to savescum or be at the mercy of the RNG making your game unplayable.

Why can't we be nostalgic about the good stuff from these and cut all the horrible? I'm nostalgic about the sense of exploration, danger, and discovery. Of finding cool loots, interesting dungeon areas, monsters, and puzzles. I like character development, advanced class and skill unlocks, and creating a synergistic party.

Ah, Xeen. Basically nothing but the good stuff.

Admittedly you could spend hours rolling for stats but there were so many goddamn stat bonuses that the inital stat didn't really make much of a difference in the long run.

• Options
    I only like the real hardcore stuff if you're going to go all out and randomize the dungeon and have unidentified magic items, basically the game better be a roguelike if I'm going to fuck with rerolls and other nonsense.

Or you know, an old wizardry game.

• Options
    You could beat Wizardry 1-4 in about an hour a piece, if you knew what you were doing. Those games never really required any reroll wizardry (hah.)

I watched a friend speedrun 2 in like.. 35 minutes using trapdoors and such. It was pretty cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    You could beat Wizardry 1-4 in about an hour a piece, if you knew what you were doing. Those games never really required any reroll wizardry (hah.)

I watched a friend speedrun 2 in like.. 35 minutes using trapdoors and such. It was pretty cool.

this isn't really true, especially in the case of 4, which is just stupid fucking hard

2 (on the commodore 64) can be run relatively quick because you import a powered party from 1

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I've actually been playing through Wizardry 2 again on my NES legit and I'm enjoying the shit out of it. I also didn't reroll any of my characters, that shit is for babies.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    4 is RIDICULOUS.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

This is largely what Wizardry 8 did by all accounts (8 is my only experience with the series). Stat rolling was removed in favor of a standard allocation based on race and class with possible bonus points again based on race and class. There were still random drops, but they weren't as necessary and supplemented by fixed drops (or at least close to fixed) and crafted items. Unfortunately there were still some issues, some likely brought on by the move to 3D instead of grids and sprites. When each of your ninja's 6 or so attacks requires the struck monster to play a hit animation and sound before your samurai's 5 attacks and so on, things slow down a bit.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    My favorite dungeon crawler of all time is Demise (originally Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan, now Demise: Ascension) . While it does make you make a char to gather stat raising books before making your main char, there arent many ways to ruin a char. Yes you can gimp yourself hard for a while, but if you tough it out the problems go away. Game isn't infinitely replayable, its infinitely PLAYABLE. Shit you not, you can have 500+ hours on 1 guy and still be progressing to new areas of the dungeon (which isn't random, its made by hand). Also, the difficulty curve in the game is great, there are a lot of mechanics that don't really come into play until later floors, and you find yourself constantly realizing you now need to find ways to protect yourself against different types of spells, attacks, or enemies that didn't exist previously.

Unfortunately, the 3d graphics and UI are somewhere between an eye sore and god awful. I've been playing the game off and on now for about 10 years. Its great, but its not for everybody. I swear, if someone just ported all the mechanics and dungeon into a new UI and new graphic engine it would be amazing.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yep. Up until Wiz8, it was American made by Sir-Tech. That one was really a nice ending to whole thing. Then, XSeed got a hold of it and took their own spin.

Actually, many Japanese devs have taken up the Wizardry name.

Acquire did the PSN/DS Renaissance games. Someone else did the PS2 Busin/Tale of the Forsaken Land games, and they were amazing. (XSeed are just a publisher/localization team.)

Wizardry is HUGE in Japan, and inspired practically every big JRPG franchise.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wizardry is HUGE in Japan, and inspired practically every big JRPG franchise.

I think I had this discussion here before, but why do people say this? Ultima 1 predated Wizardry 1, and you can see its influence on any JRPG that has an overland map and towns -- basically anything that isn't a linear dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey. And Ultima was apparently huge in Japan, as well. According to wikipedia, citing The Official Book of Ultima:
    In Japan, an Ultima soundtrack CD, two kinds of wrist watches, a tape dispenser, a pencil holder, a board game, a jacket, and a beach towel were released. There was also an Ultima anime cartoon.[3]
    Three manga comics were released in Japan:
    Ultima: EXODUS No Kyoufu (The Terror of EXODUS)
    Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
    Ultima: Magincia no Metsubou (The Fall of Magincia)

Orogogus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    True, but they haven't made a zillion games using the Ultima name.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Ya. But I just think it's weird how often I see something along the lines of "every JRPG came out of Wizardry," when the majority of them (that I've seen, anyway) really appear to be Ultima descendants. Like, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy look like they're from Ultima stock to me. You get Wizardry when it's primarily in the first person view and Ultima when it's overhead/isometric third person (Ultima 1-3 dungeons notwithstanding) with a thousand NPCs with a single line of dialogue, and it really seems like there are lot more of the latter. Is it something that a Japanese developer actually said somewhere, and now it gets being paraphrased and re-quoted?

• Options
    Wizardry spinoffs started in 1991. It's not exactly huge in Japan but it was fairly influential.

Plus if you're going to play the influence game on RPGs then J.R.R. eventually just flat out wins It's his fault that D&D happened, then the early RPGs, then Ultima and Wizardry all the way up.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I somehow missed Wizardry 8 back when it was released. Any tips on where to find it now? I'd really like to dig into it.

That said, would A Tower of Forsaken Spirits scratch that sort of itch?

I don't believe there's a legal download source for it; at least I've never been able to find one. You can find the physical copies still for $scary.

If you can find yourself a copy then there are two mods I can totally recommend.

One, IIRC, added new items and recipes to the game and was all around kick ass. The other gave damn near every item in the game it's own graphic, which I can assure you was a freaking Godsend.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Ya. But I just think it's weird how often I see something along the lines of "every JRPG came out of Wizardry," when the majority of them (that I've seen, anyway) really appear to be Ultima descendants. Like, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy look like they're from Ultima stock to me. You get Wizardry when it's primarily in the first person view and Ultima when it's overhead/isometric third person (Ultima 1-3 dungeons notwithstanding) with a thousand NPCs with a single line of dialogue, and it really seems like there are lot more of the latter. Is it something that a Japanese developer actually said somewhere, and now it gets being paraphrased and re-quoted?

They say this because the dude who made dragon quest specifically said he got the idea while playing wizardry at applefest '83. That is, to make a rpg.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Probably the best entry point for classic Wizardry would be the sixth game "Bane of the Cosmic Forge". That one starts off a trilogy that ends in eight. Those games are much less painful to play.

Krathoon on