As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I didn't think he was a different actor, it just looks like he got a bit older.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i will assassinate anyone who is anti titty-bounce

WAR CHU! Keep titties bouncing errday.

It's fun typing that outside the MMA thread...

Anywho, me and the GF were wondering if the Melisandre scene was amazingly confusing to non book readers?

They spend a great deal of time in the first season talking about the old gods of the north and their trees... and the seven gods of the southern lands, in whom many/most were named in the light of...

And now there is a new woman saying that HER god of light is cooler than these seven, fuck those guys. And the world is a scary fucking place, so you better stick with my god if you don't want to be ruined by it.

Pretty standard religious zealotry at the moment. And they have done a fair job establishing that people are somewhat faithful in this world, even if there hasn't been any outwardly miraculous stuff to speak of.

But is that everything you got out of the scene? Because if so my point stands.

which scene? The beach scene or the one at the table? I'm not going to do a full writeup of it or anything, and yes there was a lot going on there at both scenes... but I don't think it was all that confusing. Just more introductory of a mysterious new character.

Keep in mind that there are nine more episodes for them to flesh out Mel, and in the opening scene of the book who she was/is was not laid out on the table.

Any more to be said than that should probably go in the other thread which also lets people talk about the books.

I'm not saying it was bad or anything I loved the episode. For me it was like, I knew a lot more about the Melisandra stuff after that point in the book than we got from the episode. And so far to prove my point I've had one co-worker ask me if that was Stannis' wife, and another friend ask me via text "awesome episode... but wtf was up with the blood witch?"

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I know we noticed it at our household, all the younger actors in prominent supporting roles have visibly aged over the break. The ones we noticed (especially since we watched the whole of season 1 just before this episode aired) were Joffery, Gendry, and Arya/Arry - I think it was they all had growth spurts, a bit more height to them and faces seems fuller. Which I think helps the show actually, it shows the passage of time, IMHO.

steam_sig.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I thought this episode was excellent. Whether or not much happened (though I thought quite a bit did), it was significantly better paced than the early episodes of Season 1, and the use of comet in the sky as a transitional element felt like a smart way of gently moving between locations. Though I will say that I thought the comet itself seemed to stick out a bit too much as a digital element, like it just looked like some fluorescent photoshop smear on the sky.

So may great facial expressions though, including my favorite where Cersei seems to be simultaneously regretting the fact that her son is a despicable shit (from a motherly perspective) AND that she's gone and raised him to a position of power, such that he can chastise her for slapping him.

Also, anyone know if they had to the get a new actor for Gendry? It was only a brief shot, but he looked quite different, though that may have just been an age thing.

I thought the comet looked good. It's supposed to be a bit out of place (being, you know, a big red thing in the sky) but I thought they did a good job making it look like a real comet, and not something overtly mystical or whatever.

I was surprised that Gendry's helm looked so much like a bull. In the books I always pictured it as just a regular helmet with some horns attached. He was just an apprentice smith after all. But then, all the armor looks a lot fancier than I imagined it in the books.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    In S1 when the armorer showed it to Ned he mentioned that it was a very impressive piece of work for an apprentice.

steam_sig.png
    In S1 when the armorer showed it to Ned he mentioned that it was a very impressive piece of work for an apprentice.

Yeah, but to my mind that means, like, it's not malformed. Not A STRIKING LIKENESS OF A BULL'S HEAD. It looks like the work of a master artisan or something. Just a little production design nitpick.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

Well, I tried to use IMDB to get some answers, and while Gendry isn't credited in every appearance, the original actor is 25. So, I really hope it's not a case of him having a growth spurt.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Well, I tried to use IMDB to get some answers, and while Gendry isn't credited in every appearance, the original actor is 25. So, I really hope it's not a case of him having a growth spurt.

I thought he just had a different haircut...

Behemoth wrote: »

Yeah, but to my mind that means, like, it's not malformed. Not A STRIKING LIKENESS OF A BULL'S HEAD. It looks like the work of a master artisan or something. Just a little production design nitpick.
    It's not a production design problem, it's how it's supposed to be. Like, it is written that this kid is an exceptional blacksmith.

steam_sig.png

It's not a production design problem, it's how it's supposed to be. Like, it is written that this kid is an exceptional blacksmith.

Yea, I'm pretty sure they even mention that he worked on it for a long time. I pictured it as being really elaborate... otherwise it seems kind of silly to be talking up how impressive it was. If it just had horns it would be described as a horned helmet... not a bulls head helmet.

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Which is why he's so proud of it, and won't sell it in season 1.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    The look Tyrion shoots Baelish in the small council when he says 'so much to be thankful for' is awesome.

So much love for Peter Dinklage.

Erik
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i will assassinate anyone who is anti titty-bounce

WAR CHU! Keep titties bouncing errday.

It's fun typing that outside the MMA thread...

Anywho, me and the GF were wondering if the Melisandre scene was amazingly confusing to non book readers?

Yeah, kinda.
    My thoughts during her scenes:
    "Huh? Who is that? What is this place?
    Who is that guy? Oh, Stannis..why is he with her?
    Sword of Light? What?
    So she's immune to poison because of her glowy amulet? Oh, okay."

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    I think it's probably been too long since bouncing titties have been discussed.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    Hey guys I like bouncing titties, how do you feel about them?

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    I love it when titties bounce.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stannis is supposed to be super bland. That's like the only noteworthy thing about the dude, is how bland he is and how nobody likes him because he's boring and stuffy.

Boring and stuffy. And bitter. Supremely bitter. And possessing of a feeling of entitlement for his years of bitterness.

Stannis is scary.

Think about it from his perspective, though. Stannis got shafted in life. He helps his brother win the throne by being a brilliant battle commander. His brother gives him this keep out in the middle of nowhere on an island because he needs a good commander to guard Westeros from any naval threats. Stannis then puts down the Greyjoy rebellion to keep his brother on the throne, since the Greyjoys were primarily a naval threat. After all these decades of service, when his brother dies, what happens? His younger brother and a bunch of other rebellious kings show up to try and take his throne. He has a right to be supremely bitter about things.

Exactly.

Heisenberg on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Good episode, glad to have it back, hopefully it can't fall apart like Walking Dead did when it returned. Ros looked different, like maybe she just had a kid or something in real life.

And I liked Dinklage being the top bill, that just seemed right.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I hate bouncing tittes, it makes me want to kill babies

Grrr, Aaaargh, I'm King Joffrey and I'm no goddamn fun!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I thought this episode was excellent. Whether or not much happened (though I thought quite a bit did), it was significantly better paced than the early episodes of Season 1, and the use of comet in the sky as a transitional element felt like a smart way of gently moving between locations. Though I will say that I thought the comet itself seemed to stick out a bit too much as a digital element, like it just looked like some fluorescent photoshop smear on the sky.

So may great facial expressions though, including my favorite where Cersei seems to be simultaneously regretting the fact that her son is a despicable shit (from a motherly perspective) AND that she's gone and raised him to a position of power, such that he can chastise her for slapping him.

Also, anyone know if they had to the get a new actor for Gendry? It was only a brief shot, but he looked quite different, though that may have just been an age thing.

I thought the comet looked good. It's supposed to be a bit out of place (being, you know, a big red thing in the sky) but I thought they did a good job making it look like a real comet, and not something overtly mystical or whatever.

I was surprised that Gendry's helm looked so much like a bull. In the books I always pictured it as just a regular helmet with some horns attached. He was just an apprentice smith after all. But then, all the armor looks a lot fancier than I imagined it in the books.

Really? I think they blanded down the armor big time. I remember the armor being very very fancy the books. But I we arent supposed to talk about the books in this thread so...

Bouncing titties.

My friend we were watching with noticed that Ros' line to two the two as she dismissed them was exactly what Littlefinger said to her last season during that one sexposition scene.

steam_sig.png
    Kana wrote: »
    I hate bouncing tittes, it makes me want to kill babies

Grrr, Aaaargh, I'm King Joffrey and I'm no goddamn fun!

ITT:

If you hate bouncing titties you're pretty much as bad as Joffrey.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I like Ros as the matron of that whorehouse

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

So do I, except she got that promotion really fast.

It also marks the first scene she has had that she was wearing clothes for (and not flashing what was underneath).

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

So do I, except she got that promotion really fast.

It also marks the first scene she has had that she was wearing clothes for (and not flashing what was underneath).

I wonder if that's why she looked different. Just not used to seeing her and not seeing all of her.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Though she did look different, Ros reminded me of Atia in Rome in that scene.

This pleased me.

The promotion didn't surprise me. She was portrayed as being super ambitious, and enough time has gone by to turn the normal-sized dire wolf puppies into giant CGI monstrosities, so there was enough time for her to suck up to Littlefinger enough to be made the madame.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Though she did look different, Ros reminded me of Atia in Rome in that scene.

This pleased me.

The promotion didn't surprise me. She was portrayed as being super ambitious, and enough time has gone by to turn the normal-sized dire wolf puppies into giant CGI monstrosities, so there was enough time for her to suck up to Littlefinger enough to be made the madame.

It's the one career where sleeping your way to the top just means you're really industrious.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Fuck the music when
    Robb sicced the direwolf on Jaime
    was goddamn ominous. Can't wait to get the OST for this series when it's finally done.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Really? I think they blanded down the armor big time. I remember the armor being very very fancy the books. But I we arent supposed to talk about the books in this thread so...

I don't think it's going too far (or at all a spoiler) to say that Martin would routinely spend like a page or more describing one lord or another's distinctive armor. It was some real Nathaniel Hawthorne shit. So if you're ever thinking somebody's armor is too ornate, you're probably wrong.

Yeah, kinda.
    Sword of Light? What?

I get the feeling they're just moving at a different pace there, and that who she is will become clear in future episodes rather than up front. I don't feel like this show has every just straight failed to explain who people are, though much like The Wire it may take multiple viewings to understand their roles and relationships if you aren't paying attention.

mcdermott on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Finally got around to this. Great first episode. I agree with the 9/10 comment. It was only hindered by the (necessary) exposition and "Who's that Girl?" running around some burning statues. They could have earned a 10/10 with some needed sexposition, yet sadly there was none of that.
    Baby murdering is almost as good.
    And Dinklage is a goddamn star.

Yet instead of discussing this TV jewel, people in this thread keep discussing some books. I don't know what that's all about because there certainly weren't any books written about Game of Thrones.

enc0re on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I got confused is all. I always mix this up with Hunger Games. So similar.

mcdermott on
  • RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    The montage of
    if you have dark hair and are between the ages of newborn and 18, DIE!

was mildly ridiculous. I guess they had a list? It just seemed kind of heavy-fisted.
    Though again, I'm glad the baby stabbing wasn't shown on-screen. And no cart-o-babies.

"Hey Frank, where do you want this dead baby?"
    "Throw it on the baby pile."

Ah, Westeros.

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lack of on-screen
    baby stabbing
    was another disappointment. Come on HBO, you going soft on me? Of course, the best part will be that this won't draw nearly the controversy of dog stabbing from S1.

enc0re on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The montage of
    if you have dark hair and are between the ages of newborn and 18, DIE!

was mildly ridiculous. I guess they had a list? It just seemed kind of heavy-fisted.
    Though again, I'm glad the baby stabbing wasn't shown on-screen. And no cart-o-babies.

"Hey Frank, where do you want this dead baby?"
    "Throw it on the baby pile."

Ah, Westeros.
    Varys does not need a demonstration on the nature of power, if you get what I'm saying.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Davos doesn't look like he did in my head :(

But that actor is someone I recognize as someone I like so is all good

mcdermott wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I don't think it's going too far (or at all a spoiler) to say that Martin would routinely spend like a page or more describing one lord or another's distinctive armor. It was some real Nathaniel Hawthorne shit. So if you're ever thinking somebody's armor is too ornate, you're probably wrong.

Yeah, kinda.
    Sword of Light? What?

I get the feeling they're just moving at a different pace there, and that who she is will become clear in future episodes rather than up front. I don't feel like this show has every just straight failed to explain who people are, though much like The Wire it may take multiple viewings to understand their roles and relationships if you aren't paying attention.

Eh, it's not like the book is super up-front about her either. That about describes my reaction to the same scene there. It's all fleshed out later.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Davos doesn't look like he did in my head :(

But that actor is someone I recognize as someone I like so is all good
    Lol in my head stannis looks more like Davos

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    For someone who has fucked his daughters for generations, Craster wasn't quite as terrifyingly trashy and deranged as I imagined. Mostly just sinister and creepy.

I am outraged.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i really enjoyed the exposition between jon and friends before meeting craster to let us know just what kinda dirty fuck this guy was
    especially when contrasted to the book realization of "but what of the boys" came slowly and much later to a big D:
    it's like the writers went, well we don't have much time and this guy isn't all that important anyway so lets just get all this shit over with and hammer the point home

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.