As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    It is really funny how redundant computers are these days. I do 90% of my work for the site on my iPhone. Only really boot up my computron to write or code.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    @orikaeshigitae

The AV Club just spun off their own completely games-related site
    I'm sorry Orik, you gave it a good shot

just another pretender to the throne, as far as I'm concerned

Fightin' words
    We were there first, and we're still doing it better. AVC is awesome but wildly uneven, and we've got plenty of skills & approaches that they don't.

True.

Anyway, I'm working on that "The Best Butts in Games - Pert Pixels!" article and you'll have it in a few days

Edcrab, do you have Ryu from Ninja Gaiden in there? Because he deserves to be.

Also: Solid Snake.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    always gonna be desktoppin'

although i suspect manufacturers will be catering to me less and less

god I hate the "post-pc era"

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    really all my professional stuff needs a computron, but nothing else does

• DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rolo wrote: »
    always gonna be desktoppin'

although i suspect manufacturers will be catering to me less and less

god I hate the "post-pc era"

An electronics store near me was cutting back on the Pc's they were gonna sell because everything's done on a laptop/Ipad/smartphone nowadays.

Dux on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I bought FFX-2 specifically so that I could get more of FFX's delicious combat system.

I was so disappointed.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I bought FFX-2 specifically so that I could get more of FFX's delicious combat system.

I was so disappointed.

But

FFX-2 has one of the best RPG battle systems ever.

It's everything else that's terrible.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I like that I can remote access my pc with my ipad to do things my ipad can't do itself

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Stilts has a lot of things right

I will do up a long post when I'm not typing on my phone as well about other things and for the first time ever attempt to fully explain my contempt for these games

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    orcs must die 2 just got announced and now i'm really excited.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I am immediately disappointed they didn't pick a different group of generic antagonists and do a 2/too thing

0BnD8l3.gif
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

Woo! Enjoyed the first one

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    god, pokemon's gone so downhill

it's tragic

Melding wrote: »

Woo! Enjoyed the first one

it has co-op. player two plays as the sorceress.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    in my view pokemon hasn't really stagnated because I don't really look at it as a single-player video game

I think of it more like a TCG with sequels acting kind of like set expansions

in that light the games actually make pretty significant advances every generation, the metagame gets thrown around pretty good with every release

if anything the problem with that is that the single player gets in the way

and I don't even mean in terms of the campaign, which is inoffensive enough

it's just all the grindy bullshit makes it way more frustrating to put a team together than it should be

on paper something like Pokemon Online seems like a perfect solution, but it's filled with obnoxious players and also something about it seems cold and impersonal

like, as much as I hate spending two hours breeding and EV training a pokemon, investing all that time into it does something to make it feel like more than just a sprite with some associated numbers

Speed Racer on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    god, pokemon's gone so downhill

it's tragic

no it hasn't

xmassig2.gif
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    pokemon is still great

just, really really great

you getting older has not made it worse

Pokemon Silver was its peak and it's just gotten bad deal w/it

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Pokemon has gone downhill because they never made Pokemon Snap 2

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    in my view pokemon hasn't really stagnated because I don't really look at it as a single-player video game

in that light the games actually make pretty significant advances every generation, the metagame gets thrown around pretty good with every release

it's just all the grindy bullshit makes it way more frustrating to put a team together than it should be

on paper something like Pokemon Online seems like a perfect solution, but it's filled with obnoxious players and also something about it seems cold and impersonal

like, as much as I hate spending two hours breeding and EV training a pokemon, investing all that time into it does something to make it feel like more than just a sprite with some associated numbers
    meanwhile, I only cared about the main story
    and as far as I'm concerned, taking down Team Rocket in Johto was as good as it got

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

nah

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

Adding the feature of online play automatically makes any pokemon game with it better than the others.

So Soul Silver / Heart Gold should be considered The Best So Far.

Though Black / White are perfectly fine.

Huntera wrote: »

Adding the feature of online play automatically makes any pokemon game with it better than the others.

i don't have a router that's compatible with the DS soooooo

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

i don't have a router that's compatible with the DS soooooo

Neither do I.

Doesn't change the fact it makes it better.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    the latest main games are the best they've done in years

the spin-offs have definitely gotten worse, though

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I heard pokemon and showed up

pokemon silver was at its best when I was nine, says anti

also, candy used to taste better and how come the playground equipment is so small these days

not being able to experience the entirety of the product doesn't render it bad. it's like if you didn't watch the entire movie and write it off as bad. Sure if at that point it had no redeeming qualities a good ending probably isn't going to sway you, but all the same you didn't get the full package.

That said the last new pokemon i played was pearl and it brought back a whole shitton of childhood memories. enough that i bought heart gold and it was just as good as i remembered.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Speed, just so you know.

You're one of the people who I'd want to interview.

Because even if I don't necessarily agree with your stance on Pokemon, I think you do a really good job explaining your opinions.

IKknkhU.gif
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow- Good at the time, great start, not really fun to go back to
    Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal- Holy fucking shit this was amazing! Going to a brand new place with new and old pokemon, dealing with Team Rocket once and for all, fighting your mysterious rival who was a major jerk, exploring the Ruins of Alph, revisiting Kanto after a timeskip, the pokegear and radio stations, man oh man that game fucking ruled
    Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald- Better graphics, some good ideas though the story didn't feel as personal, too much surfing and diving.
    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum- Too much grinding, some really bad pokemon designs, Team Galactic was menacing but eh.
    Pokemon Black/White- The worst one. The worst. Took all the grinding from 4 and made it worse, put in some absolutely heinous designs, and I didn't the story or how they handled rivals.

Skull Man wrote: »
    pokemon silver was at its best when I was nine, says anti

also, candy used to taste better and how come the playground equipment is so small these days

dude, I kept playing that game for years afterward, and was still willing to replay it. all of the elements they introduced were so fucking good.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Anti, I think it is a sign of the craziness that you have played that much Pokemon.

anti you are objectively wrong about black and white being more grindy than dpp

they specifically reworked the experience system to make it less grindy

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Anti, I think it is a sign of the craziness that you have played that much Pokemon.

just because i happily put 200+ hours into silver, and meanwhile stuck out 100+ hours just to beat the elite four in diamond and pearl because THAT IS WHAT I DO. I WIN. I CONQUER.

meanwhile, i couldn't even bring myself to grind enough to beat black/white. just. didn't. care.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    fuck pokemon

why should I have to wander around looking for these stupid fucking things

Stilts wrote: »

Speed, just so you know.

You're one of the people who I'd want to interview.

Because even if I don't necessarily agree with your stance on Pokemon, I think you do a really good job explaining your opinions.

yayyyyy

pokemon B/W is actually very anti-grind

pokemon of higher levels give you exponentially more experience, so it's super easy to bring up low-level pokes and far and away the best way to level is to advance in the story

also the levels of the gym leaders and rivals and such follow a much more natural progression

if you're even trying to "grind" in that game you're actually playing it very badly

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    anti

black and white introduced a pokemon that has no other purpose than to give massive amounts of xp

it is literally found in every area of the game

they give you an item partway through the story that gives you even more xp

it isn't the grindiest at all

agree re:rivals, though

BugBoy on
    BugBoy wrote: »
    anti

black and white introduced a pokemon that has no other purpose than to give massive amounts of xp

it is literally found in every area of the game

literally never saw one outside of a trainer battle

the grass never shook

This discussion has been closed.