As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Pre-Pre-PAX East Tuesday Night Games & Booze at J. J. Foley's (4/3/12 6:30PM)

2»

• rosaparxrosaparx Registered User regular
    definitely coming to this, bringing my 3ds with pokemon/mariokart/etc, looking forward to it;

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    OP updated with FB event linky.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My flight gets in Tuesday morning and I just found out I definitely have a place to crash Tuesday and Wednesday nights, so I think I might try to come to this. Provided I can figure out transportation.

I'll be bringing a few games w/ me to PAX so I can likely bring them here too. Definitely on the list so far are Merchants & Marauders, Railway Rivals, Parade, Hey That's My Fish, and Piece o' Cake (the first two because not many people have them and the last three b/c they're small and quick - perfect for the queue room).

Possibles beyond that include Infinite City and Citadels. If those are dupes for what other people have I may not bring them. Won't bother with Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride (as I've got the apps for those) or Dominion (because everyone has it) or Settlers (because I'm bored with it).

Edited to add: probably will bring Pandemic as well.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    My flight gets in Tuesday morning and I just found out I definitely have a place to crash Tuesday and Wednesday nights, so I think I might try to come to this. Provided I can figure out transportation.

Depending on where in town you are staying, there are several transportation options. Let me know if you have any questions, and I can help figure out what your best option would be . . . come on down and play games!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    Khadour wrote: »

Depending on where in town you are staying, there are several transportation options. Let me know if you have any questions, and I can help figure out what your best option would be . . . come on down and play games!

Tuesday night I think I'll be w/ my friend who lives just off central square. I'm thinking red line to downtown crossing is easiest, right? The walk from there doesn't look bad on google maps, but glad to be able to run it by a local...

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Yep that's the right stop. It's only a couple blocks from there :)

HI3789R.png
    Tuesday night I think I'll be w/ my friend who lives just off central square. I'm thinking red line to downtown crossing is easiest, right? The walk from there doesn't look bad on google maps, but glad to be able to run it by a local...
    Yup, Dowtown Crossing is only a few short blocks away. Only thing to keep in mind is that the last red line train outbound to Alewife will be running past around 12:30ish, so if you wind up staying later than that, you'll probably be cabbing it or catching a ride with somebody.

xWDsUaZ.png

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    To clarify some of the ID questions...

If you really have a question on whether your state ID is awesome enough to be accepted (and don't have a passport) maybe post your state and we can ask? Or honestly I can gut check half of the ids.. Been a local for all of my life at this point, so I know what kind of things get rejected normally (Hawaii, I'm looking at you)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    To clarify some of the ID questions...

If you really have a question on whether your state ID is awesome enough to be accepted (and don't have a passport) maybe post your state and we can ask? Or honestly I can gut check half of the ids.. Been a local for all of my life at this point, so I know what kind of things get rejected normally (Hawaii, I'm looking at you)

I don't think this is such a good idea; too much speculation. It is really up to the guy at the door, and I don't think that any of us can reliably speak for them.

The best advice I can give if you don't have a passport is to bring what you have (drivers license, state id card, credit cards) and recognize that you just might not get into a place you want to. I do not think it is likely, but I do think it is a possibility. Roll with the punches, try a different place, and just stay focused on having a rad time at PAX, in or outside a bar.

7B14287.png
  • EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of coming (I'm local) but a complete noob when it comes to tabletop games that aren't your more "classic" board games (Monopoly, Life, Sorry, etc). Should I just show up anyway?

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
    Yes. I have learned many new games at our monthly gamenights. Our local crowd is friendly and willing to teach. I'm sure the out-of-towners will be too.

HI3789R.png
    EQV wrote: »
    I'm thinking of coming (I'm local) but a complete noob when it comes to tabletop games that aren't your more "classic" board games (Monopoly, Life, Sorry, etc). Should I just show up anyway?
    Most definitely - we have plenty of experienced boardgamers on hand to teach games, and we're all friendly types. Some of the more social games (I'm looking at you, Cards Agains Humanity) are incredibly easy to pick up, and lots of fun to play with gaming folks while having a beverage. Come on down! If you like it, you can start coming to our monthly gatherings on the last Tuesday of every month . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    Coming into town over the weekend and plan on coming to meet people and play some great games! I'm coming to PAX alone unfortunately so I'm definitely hoping to make some early friendships! Can bring Munchkin and Dominion (many expansions of each) as well as CAH.

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    I may or may not be going to this depending upon how my schedule for the week of PAX looks.

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    I can answer the Out Of State ID at Bar question.

MA State Law: If you are presenting a out of state driver's license, you must be 25 years old to purchase alcohol at a bar/restaurant. In-State license is 21. A lot of the area restaurants and bars are lenient. Some are not and stick to the 25 year limit for out of state id's. However, the MA law also allows the establishment to deny out of states licenses all together at their discretion, and some do.

Liquor stores are a bit different and typically don't accept out of state licenses at all (Stop and Shop's not even passports). Typically, you must have MA Driver's License ID in order to purchase from a liquor store.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    I can answer the Out Of State ID at Bar question.

MA State Law: If you are presenting a out of state driver's license, you must be 25 years old to purchase alcohol at a bar/restaurant. In-State license is 21. A lot of the area restaurants and bars are lenient. Some are not and stick to the 25 year limit for out of state id's. However, the MA law also allows the establishment to deny out of states licenses all together at their discretion, and some do.

Liquor stores are a bit different and typically don't accept out of state licenses at all (Stop and Shop's not even passports). Typically, you must have MA Driver's License ID in order to purchase from a liquor store.

You're right about the leniency. I have never seen anyone be flat-out denied entry into a bar in Boston because of an out-of-state ID. I have seen people get asked for backup IDs if they have an out-of-state ID, such as a credit card or student ID. Honestly, I feel that no one who is actually 21 should have a problem getting into the bars. But if you're really concerned, it might be a good idea to actually call a bar (during the day) that you're going to and ask.

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Replying here as well as the event page for myself and my +1. We even got an earlier flight just to come see you guys.

And because we really didn't want to spend extra time in Florida.

But mostly you guys.

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Can't wait for this. Probably one of the things I'm looking forward to this time around... even though we just did one last week, and do them every month. Still should be fun!

AN9buWz.png
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    Any specific gaming requests? Just remember that larger-area games tend not to work quite as well unless we manage to get the side tables that can be pushed together.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I do want to play Stone Age again.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    I would like to play some Dominion. Unfortunately I was unable to bring my set with me. Really looking forward to gaming with everyone!

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    OK - I'll make sure to bring Stone Age and Dominion (and some of the expansions - requests?). Anything anyone else has an itch to play?

xWDsUaZ.png

trinistand wrote: »
    Any specific gaming requests? Just remember that larger-area games tend not to work quite as well unless we manage to get the side tables that can be pushed together.

I believe that @juju has talked to Papa Foley about us being there, so we should have the whole back room to ourselves . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I will probably be there, depending on work and sick kitty cats.

If I make it, I'll be bringing munchkin, munchkin zombies, and munchkin super heroes.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    I should be here. That is all.

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I was telling Punzie last week, I really want to learn to play Ticket To Ride this week.

AN9buWz.png
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    I was telling Punzie last week, I really want to learn to play Ticket To Ride this week.

The Iphone version is a good way to learn too :D

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Btw how easy is it to transit to this from the bcec?

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    I'll make sure to bring that along as well.
    BigRed wrote: »
    Less than a mile walk, striaght up Summer St. and then left on Kingston. Half a block down on the right.
    Clicky for Google Maps directions

xWDsUaZ.png

BigRed wrote: »

If you don't want to walk that far, you can take the silver line to south station and then walk just a couple blocks up Summer St. I'll be meeting FatherVenom at south station around 5:30 and walking from there if you want to meet up and walk with us.

HI3789R.png
    For Dominion expansions, I like pretty much all of them except maybe Alchemy and Cornucopia. I havent had the opportunity to play with Hinterlands much yet even though I own it, so that would be cool to get some time with. I'm also looking forward to learning some new games!

Oh! And I recently learned Puerto Rico and had a ton of fun. If anyone has that and would want to play with a newbie I'd love to try it again.

For Dominion expansions, I like pretty much all of them except maybe Alchemy and Cornucopia. I havent had the opportunity to play with Hinterlands much yet even though I own it, so that would be cool to get some time with. I'm also looking forward to learning some new games!

Oh! And I recently learned Puerto Rico and had a ton of fun. If anyone has that and would want to play with a newbie I'd love to try it again.
    I don't own Hinterlands yet, but I'll grab a few of the expansions to bring down, and I'll make sure to toss Puerto Rico into the box.

Anyone else have any requests?

xWDsUaZ.png

• hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    I'll be there! I plan to bring Zombie Dice, Space Station Assault, and Star Munchkin.

While I could bring my copy of Super Dungeon Explore, I haven't played it yet (but it is assembled) - so I'd need to figure out the rules along with anyone else who's new to the game. Also I'm worried it might be a bit too large for the venue. So I think I'm going to leave that one at home, unless someone really wants me to bring it.

8hiRK4y.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Tonight was awesome. Thanks to everyone for coming out!

7B14287.png
    peetsnack wrote: »
    Tonight was awesome. Thanks to everyone for coming out!

Amen, sir. A great time was had by all! Thanks to all who made it out and played with us tonight.

Did anyone happen to walk off with a spare set of Zombie Dice? I wasn't able to find mine at the end of the night . . .

xWDsUaZ.png