As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time Hdtv owner: what should I know?

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
Yesterday I just purchased an HDTV and was wondering what I should buy to go along with it. I hear you need HDMI cables if you use and HD console. I also have a digital cable box and was wondering if there was something I should know about connecting the two.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You do need HDMI cables for most devices, but do not buy them from the store like Best Buy or Target - they'll overcharge you by ~$25-30. Get them from amazon or monoprice.com

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I need the hdmi cables for hd consoles, or what else would need it? That's my main question.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    So I need the hdmi cables for hd consoles, or what else would need it? That's my main question.

If by HD consoles you mean Xbox 360/PS3, then yes, you'll need one for each. Blu-ray players use HDMI as well. Your TV will probably have at least 3 HDMI input ports. I'm less familiar with how digital cable boxes work, but I suspect that if you're getting any kind of HD cable then you'll need another HDMI cable for that as well. Pretty much any modern a/v input will connect to your TV with an HDMI cable, even computers (though you might need an adapter).

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Why not look on the back of your cable box and find out?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If you have too many devices, component can carry 1080p as well.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I thought component was limited to 1080i? At least, it always seems to be when I use it.

HDMI is indeed the ideal choice. It's digital and carries both video and audio through a single cable. Component works, but it carries an analog, video only signal.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Any reasonably modern device that you would connect to a TV will work best with an HDMI cable.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    if you have a Wii, you will want the Wii component cables for that.

Otherwise, use HDMI for everything.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    floobie wrote: »

I thought component was limited to 1080i? At least, it always seems to be when I use it.

Component can deliver 1080p. Devices that adhere to AACS will not permit more than 1080i or 720p over component, at least for drm content.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    floobie wrote: »

HDMI is indeed the ideal choice. It's digital and carries both video and audio through a single cable. Component works, but it carries an analog, video only signal.

No, it's not. Component carries 1080p from a device that's capable of doing it.

A component cable set also comes with audio cables, of course, but those are just your usual RCA stuff, so it probably doesn't match HDMI audio. But from every device I've had the chance to try, the difference between HDMI and Component at 1080p is pretty infinitesimal.

EDIT: Yup, Djeet summed it up better. HDMI is preferable, but if you're like me, you've got the same number of component inputs as HDMI, and I'm not about to waste any of them.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Definitely get the Wii component cables. On a 1080p TV, you will notice the difference between 480i (stock AV) and 480p (component).

My HD Cable box uses HDMI or component, but will only output 1080i across component. My TV has exactly three HDMI inputs, which works out for me. One for the cable, one for the PS3 and one for the 360.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I've got 3 component and 3 HDMI inputs (and a few older inputs, mostly for Dreamcast).

I've got an Xbox 360, a PS3, and my PC attached via HDMI, and my cable box via component. My cable box has an HDMI output, but can't do 1080p period (only 720p or 1080i), so component is more than adequate. When I had my old Xbox hooked up, I used component for obvious reasons--the old Xbox could "only" go up to 1080i (in rare games--still way ahead of the Gamecube and PS2 though).

The funny part? To output my PC, I use DVI to HDMI. It carries audio, and for my GPU, it's a bit faster than HDMI to HDMI.....over 35 feet.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Also PLEASE buy all your HDMI and component cables at www.monoprice.com and do NOT go to Radio Shack/Best Buy/etc where you will likely pay almost 10x as much.

You can get HDMI and component cables for every device you'll ever own for less than 25-30 bucks at monoprice