As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of Assholes, Season 2! The night is dark and full of spoilers

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Stannis is great if you want a warrior, yeah

okay make him a general or something, leave him penned up as the lord of some shitty burg when you don't need him on the field

but you need to fuck way up to let him get it into his head that he deserves to be king.

also man Davos you really need to
    cut and run, that asshole is sinking fast and you can go and be a pirate and have adventures

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Hmm yes, actually working towards saving the kingdom, a truly sinking ship.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    he's doin' a real good job!

you know, alienating everybody and racking up massive debts

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    He gives Davos this whole speech about remembering who was with him at first and who wasn't in Storm of Swords. There isn't a whole lot of room for interpretation there.

He straight up cannot forgive people without some kind of price paid. Davo's saved his life and still lost his fingers, the fact that Davos saw it as fair says more about him than it does Stannis. Stannis isn't going to save the kingdom, he's going to decimate it once he wins to serve his own sense of justice(which is really vengeance by the way). Why the hell do you think he has something like R'hlorr on his side anyway?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Because a priestess sees him as the lord of light?

And a good king doesn't need the love of the people.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stannis is a far from perfect man and has made one huge folly in the series, but at the point we're at now in the story I don't know how you wouldn't be behind him.
    I mean really, who wouldn't want to see him crush the Boltons? I don't want to see him as king, but he's the last chance of anything resembling a good guy winning in Westeros.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Because a priestess sees him as the lord of light?

And a good king doesn't need the love of the people.

hahaha

she knows he's no big deal
    his sword 'lightbringer' is bullshit, it's not the right sword.

She never sees him in her flames, he's just a means for her to do whatever she's planning on doing

also there's the matter of there being at least two more 'lord of light's, also endorsed by red priests

Depressperado on
  • Options
    You just got Stannis envy, it's ok

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I'm just baffled that there are people who think Stannis is anything but a huge jerk

• Options
    if I got envy of anybody, it's Daario

• Options
    Depress, you're kinda oversimplifying him.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    No, he's still a jerk. He's just a jerk that happens to be pointed in the right direction sometimes, though even then he goes to far more often than not.

• Options
    No, he's still a jerk. He's just a jerk that happens to be pointed in the right direction sometimes, though even then he goes to far more often than not.

Him being a jerk is inherently in his being and what accounts for his greatest accomplishments, so it's kind of an intrinsic (sp?) flaw. Still a jerk, but he's a good enough character that the distinction should matter IMO.

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Depress, you're kinda oversimplifying him.

if anything I'm giving him too much credit

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The real Lord of Light is, as we all know
    Jon Snow

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Hodor

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Hot Pie

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    No it's
    Gendry. She just has the wrong Baratheon.

• Options
    I want winds of winter out so bad. At least it basically has to be out within two years because of HBO pressure.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Episode 1 of the second season may have given the intertrons a new meme. For once, it's a meme I actually find amusing.

YzQqR.jpg

Hunter on
  • Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hunter wrote: »
    Episode 1 of the second season may have given the intertrons a new meme. For once, it's a meme I actually find amusing.

*picture*

The spelling error here is killing me. But hilarious nonetheless.

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so that was a pretty great episode
    "Alright boys, we ended the season 1 premiere with a kid being shoved outta the window. For the Season 2 premiere we gotta go bigger! BIGGER, I TELL YOU."

"Alright boss how about we kill like a dozen babies and children"

"BEAUTIFUL!"

Skull Man on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    the thing that did it for me was the
    dead knight being swept away, leaving a trail of blood on the floor like a slug

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Just watched this. Good episode!

Them wolves got big, which makes me very happy.

Though (massive Storm of Swords spoiler so non-readers avoid)
    Every scene with Robb in it is breaking my heart. Like today when he and Catelyn are talking about Sansa and Arya and I was just thinking how Robb's never going to see them or Bran or Jon again. And poor Grey Wind too :(

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the thing that did it for me was the
    dead knight being swept away, leaving a trail of blood on the floor like a slug

Yeah, that was brutal.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Surprised they got to Craster's keep so early. Makes me wonder how they're gonna keep Jon busy for a whole season if they're rushing his storyline through this fast (there's basically only 3 more beats to it in the book). My guess is he won't show up in 2 or 3 episodes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also I get why they didn't open with the prologue (characters we haven't seen before? Great hook!), but shuffling the order of the scenes around like this makes Cressen look kinda dumb. He's openly hostile to Melisandre before he tries to poison her so his gambit comes off as ill-advised.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also I get why they didn't open with the prologue (characters we haven't seen before? Great hook!), but shuffling the order of the scenes around like this makes Cressen look kinda dumb. He's openly hostile to Melisandre before he tries to poison her so his gambit comes off as ill-advised.

I haven't read the second book, but maybe he was hoping he could turn the crowd?

or do you mean openly hostile right before

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    holy shit they covered a lot of ground in this episode!

• Options
    Skull Man wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »

I haven't read the second book, but maybe he was hoping he could turn the crowd?

or do you mean openly hostile right before

The poison scene is the first scene in the second book. Cressen is already dead by the time they burn the seven. So that whole speech he has in front of everyone just doesn't happen.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah, the prologue takes place basically in Cressen's head as he decides to murder her, trying to act nonchalant and going through the day until time for the dinner.

I think it's my favorite prologue in the books, actually, it's a really good opener.

• Options
    emily is not reading the books

and we watch the show together

so to preserve that experience I am waiting to read each book until after the season airs

and it is killing me

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Dudes. Stannis is Robb without the moxy. He's an honourable guy, but do NOT get in his way because he will try and roll right over you.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    What no, Robb and Stannis aren't similar

They're both honourable, yes, but they seem to have very different views on what honour is

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Stannis is a very eye for an eye kind of guy.

Robb is just all like let's not be dicks to each other maybe okay.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChiriosChirios Registered User regular
    Really liked this episode. Only problem I can tell is that the next episode is where the bullshit begins.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Stannis is. Sometimes he will do something that is pretty appropriate, decent, smart or just, and sometimes he will do something that will have you fuming. He didn't change one bit between those two cases. He breaks before he bends, as is said in one of the books.

And seriously, considering what he is up against now, you have to root for him.

• Options
    ChiriosChirios Registered User regular
    Also, I'll agree with the people who say that Stannis would make a horrible king; for the same reason as everyone else says. The whole scene where he refused to make an alliance with Robb clinched it for me. Who the hell thinks that asking is begging?

• Options
    The real tragic thing is (later in book/season 2)
    if it wasn't for shadowbabies, Renly would've won against Stannis, then he probably would have agreed to let Robb keep the north, and that alliance could have easily crushed the Lannisters, and then with a realm in peace they could've held back the Others and Aegon+Dorne+Daenerys later on. So really Melisandre is to blame for how much shit goes to shit after that point.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I would just like to say that I hate all of you.

Still haven't even seen Season 1. D: