As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    You know, I never hear about CHUCK LORRE fighting with any stars behind the scenes..

Not sure if you were really joking, or if you making reference to Charlie Sheen getting kicked off of Two and a Half Men last year.

That said, I'm not really taking sides in this and just honestly hoping for an amicable resolution.

I was jokingly referring to the whole BBT nonsense that's been going on by saying hey Chuck Loooorre doesn't do that, and then remembered the whole Sheen thing and figured it'd add a layer of irony. (I don't know what irony means)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You know, I never hear about CHUCK LORRE fighting with any stars behind the scenes..

Not sure if you were really joking, or if you making reference to Charlie Sheen getting kicked off of Two and a Half Men last year.

That said, I'm not really taking sides in this and just honestly hoping for an amicable resolution.

I was jokingly referring to the whole BBT nonsense that's been going on by saying hey Chuck Loooorre doesn't do that, and then remembered the whole Sheen thing and figured it'd add a layer of irony. (I don't know what irony means)

It's that thing where sometimes you're getting married and then it starts rayheeayning.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This episode actually made me want to eat Subway.

I cannot tell if this was intended. There are too many switchbacks in the vipers' nest of logic, intention, and irony [and post-irony!] in this show to know for sure.

Straygatsby on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think this was the strongest of the episodes post hiatus, but thats probably because I didnt really care for the first episode although I cant really remember why. Something about it just didnt sit right (maybe I built up the show in my head while it was away? But I didnt feel the same way about the season premiers so...). I should probably rewatch it.

This episode though, this episode was great. I really liked the 1984 motif.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    This episode actually made me want to eat Subway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I liked most of this episode, but not the Abed v Troy stuff. I always hate stories where best friends get all passive-aggressive powerplay with each other, like would it really have hurt Abed so much to create a small corridor connecting the two forts so that they would count as one, but still be separate? Just get over yourselves, dicks.

And Britta is, strangely, the best part of this season so far, she's just been hilarious every episode.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I liked most of this episode, but not the Abed v Troy stuff. I always hate stories where best friends get all passive-aggressive powerplay with each other, like would it really have hurt Abed so much to create a small corridor connecting the two forts so that they would count as one, but still be separate? Just get over yourselves, dicks.

And Britta is, strangely, the best part of this season so far, she's just been hilarious every episode.

To be fair, they've been building to the Abed/Troy conflict for a while now.

Gillian Jacobs has absolutely been on fire this season, agreed.

The_Tuninator on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Britta's the worst best.

Oh brilliant
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

I'm not saying they did it badly or anything, I just hate it whenever and wherever it is used. Everyone calm down and stop being dicks!

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I'm not saying they did it badly or anything, I just hate it whenever and wherever it is used. Everyone calm down and stop being dicks!

Just as long as your calming down doesn't ruin the integrity of my chilling out.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So whats with only being able to stream Community via Hulu Plus?

• Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular

Just as long as your calming down doesn't ruin the integrity of my chilling out.

It's called chillaxing. Duh!

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    So whats with only being able to stream Community via Hulu Plus?

Whaaaa? I think that's only with older seasons. I can stream the latest episodes just fine.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So, I have no problems with the blatant product placement if it keeps my show on the air. Amusing, too, that they're only being marginally less serious about it than Chuck was. I mean, if you're going to do it don't play around, go over the top and wink right at the audience.

Also, completely casual use of "streets ahead" I spotted today. It made me smile. I think with a little effort, this could actually wind up being a "thing."

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    So, I have no problems with the blatant product placement if it keeps my show on the air. Amusing, too, that they're only being marginally less serious about it than Chuck was. I mean, if you're going to do it don't play around, go over the top and wink right at the audience.

Also, completely casual use of "streets ahead" I spotted today. It made me smile. I think with a little effort, this could actually wind up being a "thing."

The University of Edinburgh Accommodation Services sent out a pamphlet on end of term procedures and one of the sections was "Streets Ahead on Safety" or something. I wasn't even aware Community existed over here since no one I've met has ever heard of it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

I was thinking the same thing. Going with "holy shit this is just straight up product placement and we know it" and then going for a 1984 reference is hilarious. It's blatant product placement in universe.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Uh, 'streets ahead' has been slang for 'advanced' for a long time in the UK. It was funny because it was British and uncool when Pierce said it. It wasn't coined by Community.

You know that, right? You're just being ironic like with the Bill Murray ghost-house episode?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Chuck was way more shameless in that they just wrote the ad into the script.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Ah, apparently it was a British thing.

Thanks for ruining my day.

Next you'll tell me there's no Easter Bunny.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Uh, 'streets ahead' has been slang for 'advanced' for a long time in the UK. It was funny because it was British and uncool when Pierce said it. It wasn't coined by Community.

You know that, right? You're just being ironic like with the Bill Murray ghost-house episode?

Why would I know that? Am I British? No. Do I do research on jokes from TV? No.

Lh96QHG.png
    Never mind, jesus.

Lh96QHG.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

They were subtle about it until the buying Subway campaign seemed to play a big part in coming back for a third season and then they just said fuck it.

Arrested Development and 30 Rock treated product placement in a similar way.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

No. He was streets behind.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

"Streets ahead" is so fetch.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Magell wrote: »

They were subtle about it until the buying Subway campaign seemed to play a big part in coming back for a third season and then they just said fuck it.

They weren't that subtle before the Subway campaign. That's why the Subway campaign happened! Awesome's bachelor party in particular. And when Morgan betrays Big Mike.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

They weren't that subtle before the Subway campaign. That's why the Subway campaign happened! Awesome's bachelor party in particular. And when Morgan betrays Big Mike.

They promoted it openly, but not as bad as it became where they'd describe all the ingredients in whatever sandwich Big Mike was eating that episode.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

This is true, but equally, Community absolutely made saying "streets ahead" in the States a thing; there's nothing wrong with giving it credit for that. Pretty much nobody was aware of that over here until Community started using it.

More fun info on the Dan and Chevy feud! I used to be pretty neutral and convinced that both parties were equal assholes, but after this, I'm not so sure.

There was this delightful tidbit, allegedly from a "show insider", regarding Chase on the show:
    The insider notes that Chevy hasn't exactly been a sweetheart on set, leading to inevitable friction between the two.

"Chevy doesn't remember his lines, so we have to make cue cards for him to read. Also if things aren't going well because the script is changing so constantly, Chevy gets mad and wants to go home—and does go home," reveals the source.

Chase's diva antics and constant demands for more lines have also made it harder for the crew and nearly led to a physical confrontation between the actor and his showrunner.

If this is true, I'm suddenly sympathetic to Harmon. Constantly walking off set not only costs the show money but also is a giant "fuck you" to all of the cast and crew of the show, forcing them to do extra work to pick up the slack on a show which is already pulling extreme hours on a regular basis.

And cue cards, for chrissake?

Regarding Community's product placement: I actually really like that they went balls-out and full on integrated it into the show. Product placement actually feels less offensive that way; it's not simply shoehorned in, but is rather a justified and funny part of the plot.

The_Tuninator on
    _J_ wrote: »

No. He was streets behind.

I was indeed streets behind.

And the author of the article I linked is British, and has probably never even seen Community. Also, I'm pretty sure my high school girlfriend cheated on me.

Fuck it, I'm drinking.

Also, and I'm just thinking out loud here, but as far as I'm concerned Chevy is about the weakest link on the show any damn way. At this point, his name has attracted all the viewers it's likely to. Fuck it, let him walk. Write him out. Kill him on-screen in a hilarious fashion. I really wouldn't care.

This is true, but equally, Community absolutely made saying "streets ahead" in the States a thing; there's nothing wrong with giving it credit for that. Pretty much nobody was aware of that over here until Community started using it.

More fun info on the Dan and Chevy feud! I used to be pretty neutral and convinced that both parties were equal assholes, but after this, I'm not so sure.

There was this delightful tidbit, allegedly from a "show insider", regarding Chase on the show:
    The insider notes that Chevy hasn't exactly been a sweetheart on set, leading to inevitable friction between the two.

"Chevy doesn't remember his lines, so we have to make cue cards for him to read. Also if things aren't going well because the script is changing so constantly, Chevy gets mad and wants to go home—and does go home," reveals the source.

Chase's diva antics and constant demands for more lines have also made it harder for the crew and nearly led to a physical confrontation between the actor and his showrunner.

If this is true, I'm suddenly sympathetic to Harmon. Constantly walking off set not only costs the show money but also is a giant "fuck you" to all of the cast and crew of the show, forcing them to do extra work to pick up the slack.

And cue cards, for chrissake?

Brando did it, not that that makes it okay at all.

But also, if they're still writing like they were in Season 1, I'd be pretty pissed too.
    Also if things aren't going well because the script is changing so constantly

That gets damned annoying.

But in the end, none of us needs to take sides, they're both acting like dicks in my book. Chevy is a celebrated chore and Harmon has some serious problems. Throw them all together and you get a big batch of off set fuck up!

Show's still great, though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Thanks for ruining my day.

Next you'll tell me there's no Easter Bunny.

Oh no, he exists all right.

But he's British!

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Also, and I'm just thinking out loud here, but as far as I'm concerned Chevy is about the weakest link on the show any damn way. At this point, his name has attracted all the viewers it's likely to. Fuck it, let him walk. Write him out. Kill him on-screen in a hilarious fashion. I really wouldn't care.

if you can seriously say you think pierce is a weaker link than shirley I don't know what show you've been watching.

I don't want to lose any of them, don't get me wrong, but come on.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    but let's keep reacting to heresay from the set. it's important to know which of the two dickbags you like a little less than the other.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I would love if they murdered Shirley and Chang to death.

Lh96QHG.png
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Shirley is da bomb.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    I would love if they murdered Shirley and Chang to death.

Chang needs to be there to make the rest of the cast seem sane.

Edit: Also, that's not nice!

_J_ on
    Julius wrote: »
    Shirley is da bomb.

Yes, this could be a good way to do it.

Lh96QHG.png
    I think I'm just burned out from S2 Pierce still.