As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    That's not a dig on the actors, by the way, they're doing top notch work. I just can't stand the characters.

Lh96QHG.png
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The show could lose Chang and it wouldn't really be a great loss at all. You'd lose the ability to do great moments like the end of "Horror Fiction", but all Chang really brings to the show is the ability to pull off the occasional absurd joke that nobody else can, and he often draws attention away from characters who actually matter.

Saying that any of the study group members could be jettisoned is silly, in my opinion. The show can't afford to lose any of the study group members, because that would irreparably compromise the entity that is the study group as we've come to know and love it.

The_Tuninator on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Shirley is pretty funny, guys. Chevy just isn't funny, except at falling down.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The show could lose Chang and it wouldn't really be a great loss at all. You'd lose the ability to do great moments like the end of "Horror Fiction", but all Chang really brings to the show is the ability to pull off the occasional absurd joke that nobody else can, and he often draws attention away from characters who actually matter.

Saying that any of the study group members could be jettisoned is silly, in my opinion. The show can't afford to lose any of the study group members, because that would irreparably compromise the entity that is the study group as we've come to know and love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmNzsZhIpRY

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Shirley takes a backstage a lot of the time, but when they go to her for the comedy the character is a goldmine. I could live without Chevy on the show. His style of comedy is completely different from the rest of the show and feels weird at times.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    CHAAANG!

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    That clip, or rather the expanded version with all the lead-up, is what got me to watch this show. It wasn't even a question. I didn't know anything else about the show, but any show that could hatch that scene was a show I needed to be watching.

edited April 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmNzsZhIpRY

That's a great example of what he's valuable for! The problem is just when he occupies entire episode plots at the expense of the study group characters, who are just as funny and actually deep, well-developed characters.

For the record, I have no problem with Chang, and they've overall been using him very well this season since "Competitive Ecology". I just think that the show could afford to lose him without suffering much from it.

The_Tuninator on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I was sold on one of the early teasers with Jeff and English. The "Bachelors from Columbia" bit.

Lh96QHG.png
    I was introduced to the show when a friend linked me "Fistful of Paintballs" on Hulu the day after it aired.

Needless to say, I was hooked immediately, and proceeded to tear through the entire series to date in about a week.

By English do you mean John Oliver, you heathen?

I mean his character name, which I am blanking on at FOUR IN THE MORNING.

Lh96QHG.png

edited April 2012
    They really do need to get him back; it's a shame Professor Duncan has been missing this season, minus his quasi-cameo as the author of Britta's psych textbook. Duncan was consistently hilarious. Hopefully John Oliver's schedule clears up a bit next year so they can have him on again.

The_Tuninator on

Ian Duncan, and you are still a heathen. One somewhere in Europe?

Ian Duncan, and you are still a heathen. One somewhere in Europe?

Yar.

Lh96QHG.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The Billiards episode is the one that convinced me to watch. Any show that has two men rip off their clothes to prove how manly they are while playing pool is my kind of show.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I was introduced to the show when a friend linked me "Fistful of Paintballs" on Hulu the day after it aired.

Needless to say, I was hooked immediately, and proceeded to tear through the entire series to date in about a week.

"Debate 109" is what got me hooked.

Magell wrote: »
    The Billiards episode is the one that convinced me to watch. Any show that has two men rip off their clothes to prove how manly they are while playing pool is my kind of show.

"Physical Education"'s climax is absolutely glorious, definitely one of my favorite moments of the show.

I also love the werewolf joke they slip in there; it's so easy to miss given the ridiculous nature of the scene, but it's so great.

To "Werewolves of London!"

For me, it will always be the "that's racist!" exchange that made me think the show was brilliant.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

idiotic statement right here

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Man, so many of my favorite moments are from Season 1. Lots of good stuff from the other two, but Season 1 was amazing.

Lh96QHG.png
    first ep I saw was the first halloween ep. instantly watched every one before it and then tuned in every week from there on.

so fucking good.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Uh, 'streets ahead' has been slang for 'advanced' for a long time in the UK. It was funny because it was British and uncool when Pierce said it. It wasn't coined by Community.

You know that, right? You're just being ironic like with the Bill Murray ghost-house episode?

Why would I know that? Am I British? No. Do I do research on jokes from TV? No.

What on earth are you angry about?

I figure I could take a bear.
    For me, it will always be the "that's racist!" exchange that made me think the show was brilliant.

I hold that up as the quintessential example of how good Community's dialogue humor can be.

To "Werewolves of London!"

With a werewolf in the background!

Man, so many of my favorite moments are from Season 1. Lots of good stuff from the other two, but Season 1 was amazing.

All three seasons so far have been fantastic, as far as I'm concerned. I find S2 to be better than S1 because it aspires to far greater heights, but they're both brilliant.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The episode that convinced me about the series' potential was Introduction to Filmmaking, which is still a tearjerker for me. Weird and complicated premise, strong chemistry between cast members, and an ending that is sentimental without being cloying.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Show has been good since the Pilot.

Chang was good as the side character; when they removed him from his position as an instructor I wasn't sure how he'd transition. But I like the character in doses (even the Murder Mystery episode).

If a member of the study group had to go I wouldn't mind losing Shirley. Of course you lose two of the moral compasses of the show (Annie being the other), but she is the least funny of them all (and she really isn't supposed to be "funny" so I suppose its ok).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I get tired of Shirley, because the whole purpose of her character is to set-up religion bashing jokes for the other characters. She's a terrible caricature and her role has gotten stale. I have never known anyone in-person who is a bible beater and a constant source of condemnation like she is. I just find it entirely unbelievable. Also: annoying. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there who are like her, and worse. But I haven't personally known any. Her overbearing religion is just tedious, and very obviously a gimmick to set-up a smear on religion. Whenever they do that, which is almost every episode, the writer's own intolerance shows through. Its tacky.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Britta was pretty much the exact same thing for atheist/liberals for a while.

KalTorak wrote: »

when? the only reaction I recall to anything but shirley's over-religiousness was jeff being taunted for agnosticism.

• kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    This is the video that got me hooked onto Community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH_XwLZ6Y0M

Variable wrote: »
    first ep I saw was the first halloween ep. instantly watched every one before it and then tuned in every week from there on.

so fucking good.

I want to add above all else it was pierce's trip out that got me.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

when? the only reaction I recall to anything but shirley's over-religiousness was jeff being taunted for agnosticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6jV2ZM_Fg

I glossed over the liberal part my fault

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I watched the premiere! and every episode since! I win!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    clap for me, everyone!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Early seasons Britta was incredibly annoying. But the more awkward "fight the machine, MAAAAN" Britta is adorable and I love her. At this point I think I like her more than Annie, which is surprising to me at least. I also don't think Shirley is a bad religious caricature in the sense of being negative in any way. All the characters are over-the-top, but Shirley is definitely likable. Though I'll admit, not as funny as the other characters, but necessary since she seems more grounded. I liked her story of coming up with a sensible business plan with Pierce, even if it didn't work out.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I get tired of Shirley, because the whole purpose of her character is to set-up religion bashing jokes for the other characters. She's a terrible caricature and her role has gotten stale. I have never known anyone in-person who is a bible beater and a constant source of condemnation like she is. I just find it entirely unbelievable. Also: annoying. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there who are like her, and worse. But I haven't personally known any. Her overbearing religion is just tedious, and very obviously a gimmick to set-up a smear on religion. Whenever they do that, which is almost every episode, the writer's own intolerance shows through. Its tacky.

Shirley's actually got a lot more depth than that, they just don't explore it on a regular basis, which is a shame.

Notable examples of how interesting the character can be include "Mixology Certification" and "Foosball & Nocturnal Vigilantism", both great Shirley stories that have very little to do with her Christianity.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I watched the premiere! and every episode since! I win!

Me too!

We should clap for each other by high fiving.