As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beauty is the promise of happiness [makeup, skincare, fashion] ONLY COOL BOYS ALLOWED

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    I finally did the whole magnetic makeup board thing I have been eyeing for a while. I'm pretty happy about it, maybe I will actually use my various eyeshadows now.

eN1wg.png

I love ikea. I bought the metal board, rail, basket, plastic tub, magnetic knife strip, magnetic lil containers (on the knife rack), and the mirror there.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    It's weird, too, because it's only on one side of my face and I:

- change my pillowcases once a week
    - don't talk on the phone
    - don't rest my hand on my face

Maybe I need to change my pillowcase every 2 or 3 days, which is ANNOYING but perhaps needed

anyway something not so negative nancy, um

I'm glad it's spring because I want to wear springy colors on my nails and lips! yeah.

Are you especially stressed out, or has the weather changed a lot recently? I find that stress and the seasons changing makes me break out more than usual and I have to change my moisturizing routine.

E: Holy crap Bel that's rad as heck

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    the magnetic makeup board looks great!

Thanks, it's really a space saver. I need to get a light to put above the mirror though, that area is not well lit at all.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    @Belruel

That looks amazing!

I've seen other people that used a frame with a metal plate covered in fabric, but I like the sleek look of the metal board. Plus, no real fuss involved other than hanging it this way.

It was totally a steal at $12.99 too. I spent about $10 on magnets at home depot, but I figured that when I get new makeup I can take the magnets off the old ones and reuse them, so I wasn't too upset by the cost. A few of the magnets have popped off the backs, but I can just hot glue them back on pretty easily.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Bel that is amazing! Oh gosh I am getting ideas!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    That lil pull out and swivel mirror? $5! The bar thing was $1.99, and the rack was $1.99 too I think. The plastic tub thing my brushes are in was $.99.

Also I am thinking of making some of this later.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    god I wish I owned our house, then we could drill holes and stuff so that I can set all this up somewhere!

as it is we're overdue for a trip to IKEA anyway

hmmmmmmmmmm

Ikea is so much fun to walk through, I hadn't been there since I was little so I had so much fun walking through all the areas and wanting all the things.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    OH MY GOSH THIasapS BOY. He's... A handful. And kinda high maintenance. And I like it. >:3

Very feminine, very outspoken and high energy. He's a goddamn firecracker. Hoping we get to hang out again.

hooray! glad it went so well! when's your next date?

As soon as possible, it seems. Neither of us drive, like I said, so its tough.

I'm gonna smooch him.

you smooch him good, Metz

right in his smoocher

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular

right in his smoocher

Yes.

This.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Hurrah for IKEA! I especially love the small pots attached to the knife strip, Bel!

I am super fond of them too. I keep thinking of various things I can store in them. So gonna put snacks in them.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

right in his smoocher

Yes.

This.

thirded

goose him too

edited April 2012
    finally updated my blog: http://vivixenne.tumblr.com/post/20339891757/top-5-most-popular-finishing-powders-online

work and stuff has been so busy, and autumn hitting has basically slowed me down to a crawl

blurgle

Vivixenne on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »

right in his smoocher

Yes.

This.

thirded

goose him too

Oh my yes.

@Belruel

what kind of magnet setup do you have with your stuff? like... what magnets to you use and how do you attach them to your stuff?

I ask cuz that certainly looks like a great solution for my current space issues, but I'd be terrified of something just falling off if a door slams shut, so I kinda wanna know how you did it

my alternate idea was to grab two chests of small drawers from IKEA and put a table top across them and make a makeshift vanity, but space is an issue for that at present :P

edited April 2012
    @Vivixenne I used hot glue and some ceramic magnets from Home Depot, but if you are worried about them sticking securely I would recommend superglue and maybe neodymium magnets. I've already had a few magnets come off, though most appear to be holding just fine. Ceramic magnets would probably work as well if you make sure to get strong ones, some are really wimpy. Mine are pretty strong though. The downside to not using hot glue is that you're not going to be able to reuse those magnets when that particular compact/eyeshadow is depleted.

I'm giving the hot glue method a trial run for a while, if anymore of them pop off I'm going to superglue the magnets to the heavier makeups.

My larger cases have 2-3 of the magnets, my smaller eyeshadows have 1. If you go the neodymium magnet + superglue route, make sure to find a tutorial for glueing them securely. The darn things are slippery, you have to clean the surfaces well and lightly abrade the surface of the magnet so the glue has something to hold onto.

Here's the tutorial I saw originally that I stole the idea from.
    And here is a collection of various styles

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    are you able to sleep on your back? is your hair out of your face (or do you have a tendency to tilt your head to one side without noticing)?

cuz yeah it sounds kinda frustrating, not knowing what's causing it or how to stop it

I can fall asleep on my back but I think I revert to face-in-pillow while asleep. I'm just gonna start washing my pillowcases more often I think.

I also switched detergents to one without dyes/scents/anything so I assume it's not that. I actually feel less itchy with using it, with clothes and stuff. I also always put it on the extra rinse cycle just in case. WHO KNOWS~~~ I have been more stressed lately, and the weather has been changing pretty quickly. Perhaps it's that.

I might paint my nails this color today, if I can be assed.

qAt4x.jpg

Sara Lynn on
    oooh that's a pretty color

my matte nails are finally wearing through; @World as Myth if your matte nails are chipping it might be an idea to use a base coat, because I used one with mine and even though I wasn't supposed it, it's made my nails last all week!

I need a change; I might do something bright for Easter, or maybe something a bit toned down for autumn, I haven't decided yet! :P

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Also Sara, I find my skin freaks out more on one side of my face because that's where my hair brushes against it

Sleeping with at least my bangs pulled up by clips has helped a lot with that

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think having long hair doesn't help either, when I'm sleeping. I might clip my hair up at night if I can find a comfortable way to do it.

Either way I'm going to Target today for Tea Tree Oil. And maybe Payless for some new flats. DSW sent me a 20 dollars off 50 coupon, but I think I'll wait til I get my tax return back. I have some sandals I bought last year that I didn't wear, they were kind of expensive too. My tastes are so fickle, blargh. I also want some grey TOMS.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    also, quick question

has anyone used the Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder from The Body Shop?

I have heard good things but would love some feedback from people here

I haven't used the Honey Bronze, but I've used a different bronzer of theirs, which isn't on their site anymore, and I liked it. I have to save it for the height of summer, though, because otherwise it's too dark for me.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    That is an awesome nail colour, sara!

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Yeah, I think having long hair doesn't help either, when I'm sleeping. I might clip my hair up at night if I can find a comfortable way to do it.

Either way I'm going to Target today for Tea Tree Oil. And maybe Payless for some new flats. DSW sent me a 20 dollars off 50 coupon, but I think I'll wait til I get my tax return back. I have some sandals I bought last year that I didn't wear, they were kind of expensive too. My tastes are so fickle, blargh. I also want some grey TOMS.

I use a claw clip to keep my hair out of my face at night. there are non-slip versions too - the kind I normally use tends to slide out of my hair when straight so I picked up a few of those. and I love my grey toms!

also, this review reaaally makes me want to pick this up! in the exact color pictured.

@bowtiedseal that is one of the best product reviews I've ever read, mainly because I know the exact situation she describes with the bathroom and the challenge of lippy reapplication

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I haven't been able to focus on soap stuff lately cuz my skin has been so awful. So now I'm focusing on yarn things. I want a not-$60-cube organizer to shove all this damn yarn into.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    @Janson: that skin texture seems like something that could be helped with the AHA lotion me and Bits have been using.

I think I may just have enough eyeshadow now. Almost. I think I look better with a brown smokey eye than black, new discoveries!

Kind of lemming for fragrances now. I don't know where to start though, and I dont want to spend $50 on a single fragrance that will take forever to run through.

Sheri wrote: »
    I haven't been able to focus on soap stuff lately cuz my skin has been so awful. So now I'm focusing on yarn things. I want a not-$60-cube organizer to shove all this damn yarn into.

I'm a fan of the tupperware containers, they stack nicely

Ideally I'd love one of those IKEA blocky bookshelves for my yarns but we just don't have the floorspace

Fragrances are highly personal; nothing will beat walking into a store and trying samples. I personally don't find reviews useful for them at all because everyone smells something a little bit different when you wear a scent.

I personally only have two fragrances: Chanel Allure and Victoria's Secret Vixen. One is subtle and classy while the other is just straight SEXY... though I barely use them, and only on nights out when I remember to use them!

@Janson: that skin texture seems like something that could be helped with the AHA lotion me and Bits have been using.

I think I may just have enough eyeshadow now. Almost. I think I look better with a brown smokey eye than black, new discoveries!

Kind of lemming for fragrances now. I don't know where to start though, and I dont want to spend $50 on a single fragrance that will take forever to run through.

Both Possets and Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs will do small samples of their oils for cheapish

In fact, if you have particular scents that you're looking for I could see if I have any extra samples in my stash (they give a lot of freebies)

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »

I'm a fan of the tupperware containers, they stack nicely

Ideally I'd love one of those IKEA blocky bookshelves for my yarns but we just don't have the floorspace

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards but we don't have the space either really. Also I fear commitment.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I got my nails and brows did today. I'll post pictures tomorrow probably? Also I am trying out Queen Helene's cold cream instead of Pond's and I really like it so far.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I don't have any particular scents I am after. I'd heard of both BPAL and Possets, both are within my price range. Any other similar companies in that regard? Seems like many independant perfume companies sell their wares at non ridiculous prices.

Nocturne Alchemy, Heaven & Earth Essentials and Arcana Perfume Oils (which doesn't direct retail, but you can buy them here)

Okay, thanks BPAL's offerings are so vast I think I could probably just stick with them, especially since people here have already been buying from them. I'd probably purchase a 6-imp sample pack. Any suggestions? I dislike how BPAL doesn't let you search by note or fragrance family :?

Okay, thanks! BPAL's offerings are so vast I think I could probably just stick with them, especially since people here have already been buying from them. I'd probably purchase a 6-imp sample pack. Any suggestions? I dislike how BPAL doesn't let you search by note or fragrance family :?

Purchasing the imps is a good idea; the perfume is so concentrated they'll last you a while. :)

I really recommend checking out their forums! People have lists of recommendations by scent, and there're some really great reviews.

This discussion has been closed.