As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i really enjoyed the exposition between jon and friends before meeting craster to let us know just what kinda dirty fuck this guy was
    especially when contrasted to the book realization of "but what of the boys" came slowly and much later to a big D:
    it's like the writers went, well we don't have much time and this guy isn't all that important anyway so lets just get all this shit over with and hammer the point home
    Lots of eliminating male lines in this here episode.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Davos doesn't look like he did in my head :(

But that actor is someone I recognize as someone I like so is all good
    Lol in my head stannis looks more like Davos

In my head, Stannis looked like the Doctor from Voyager, only meaner. So this is... about right.

I feel like Renly should be significantly handsomer and more charming, and definitely more smiley. He was always described that way, and I feel like he's being made a bit too solemn.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • ImperiusVImperiusV Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Does anyone follow any GoT cast or crew on twitter? I think it's interesting to see the variety of personalities, especially those who are just minor characters or small-part actors.

I love Kristian Nairn. He's so self aware, and it's hard to believe that a man so clever and witty is playing Hodor. Also, while most of these aren't verified, supposedly the kids playing Rickon, Arya, and Bran have accounts. I notice that all the children, and the women who frequently get naked have closed accounts. Anti-stalker measure?

ImperiusV on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Davos doesn't look like he did in my head :(

But that actor is someone I recognize as someone I like so is all good
    Lol in my head stannis looks more like Davos

In my head, Stannis looked like the Doctor from Voyager, only meaner. So this is... about right.

I feel like Renly should be significantly handsomer and more charming, and definitely more smiley. He was always described that way, and I feel like he's being made a bit too solemn.

I think he'll loosen up in some upcoming episodes

Stannis is fine, and I can't wait to see him truly mad, but I just saw Davos with...more hair? Curls? Dark hair? For some reason.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Wow the actress playing Melisandre seems to be individually thanking every single complimentary tweet.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Wow the actress playing Melisandre seems to be individually thanking every single complimentary tweet.

for the night is dark and full of terror

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    ImperiusV wrote: »
    Does anyone follow any GoT cast or crew on twitter? I think it's interesting to see the variety of personalities, especially those who are just minor characters or small-part actors.

I love Kristian Nairn. He's so self aware, and it's hard to believe that a man so clever and witty is playing Hodor. Also, while most of these aren't verified, supposedly the kids playing Rickon, Arya, and Bran have accounts. I notice that all the children, and the women who frequently get naked have closed accounts. Anti-stalker measure?

Yeah, those are real twitter accounts for the kids. The kid who plays Bran was totally making fun of Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams last year for liking

uhh

Whatshisface, the heartthrob teen idol kid who looks like a girl

Anyway, yeah, Bran's actor is a totally cool dude

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Probably trying to start a religion :)

steam_sig.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Huh, didn't even recognize van Houten from Black Book. I have to agree, she really nailed the part, at least so far. Perfectly terrifying.

edited April 2012
    Ok I tweeted her.

Also I need more followers so uhh yeah: https://twitter.com/#!/SBalabanoff

Heisenberg on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I wonder if @PeterDinklage is actually Peter Dinklage. If so, it make me like him even more. Because it makes him that much more of a normal dude, that would totally sign up for an account, tweet like twice, then totally forget about it except maybe to follow some people.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    ImperiusV wrote: »

Lack of Conleth Hill twitter makes me sad

• TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's been said a few times but apparently needs repeating: don't refer to the books.

Some references are harmless (saying George R. R. Martin spends loads of time describing armor is both harmless and interesting!). But most references are more leading than you realize. Saying "character X will get fleshed out later" tells me character X makes it to "later." So please, just pretend the books don't exist.

Enough of my bitching! Here are my unordered thoughts about the first episode!

• The dragons looked a lot worse in this episode than in their 30 seconds of screen time last season. When Daenerys had the one dragon on her shoulder she was very clearly staring at an empty spot slightly behind the dragon. And the moment where she took the dragon in her hand was particularly bad. The direwolf, comet and King's Landing all looked great though.
    • Some awesome scenes: Tyrion joining the council, Cersei accosting Littlefinger, Joffrey being a little shit. And of course the babymurdering.
    • The Stannis scenes threw me for a loop. I'd forgotten how I felt in S01E01 when I didn't know anyone in Winterfell, but yeah, that's how it felt here. Who are these people? Oh there's an old loyal guy? Except now he's dead? And the redhead is immune to poison? I thought Stannis himself was great. Just as humorless and dark as I imagined from how everyone described him in the first season.
    • Point of confusion: how did Stannis know Ned tried to warn him about Cersei and Jaime? The messenger Ned sent was intercepted and killed. I get that Stannis could have figured out the incest himself, but why's he know about Ned?
    • Idle speculation: Who exactly is Daenerys sleeping with? There are non-Wildings north of the wall? How is Ayra not in the north by now?

Conclusion: awesome episode.

Talka on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Talka wrote: »
    • Idle speculation: Who exactly is Daenerys sleeping with? There are non-Wildings north of the wall? How is Ayra not in the north by now?

Answers to the last bit (And really not spoilery)
    No one. Craster is a wildling. Because it's a really, really long trip.

Esh on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    It's been said a few times but apparently needs repeating: don't refer to the books.

Some references are harmless (saying George R. R. Martin spends loads of time describing armor is both harmless and interesting!). But most references are more leading than you realize. Saying "character X will get fleshed out later" tells me character X makes it to "later." So please, just pretend the books don't exist.

• The dragons looked a lot worse in this episode than in their 30 seconds of screen time last season. When Daenerys had the one dragon on her shoulder she was very clearly staring at an empty spot slightly behind the dragon. And the moment where she took the dragon in her hand was particularly bad. The direwolf, comet and King's Landing all looked great though.
    • Some awesome scenes: Tyrion joining the council, Cersei accosting Littlefinger, Joffrey being a little shit. And of course the babymurdering.
    • The Stannis scenes threw me for a loop. I'd forgotten how I felt in S01E01 when I didn't know anyone in Winterfell, but yeah, that's how it felt here. Who are these people? Oh there's an old loyal guy? Except now he's dead? And the redhead is immune to poison? I thought Stannis himself was great. Just as humorless and dark as I imagined from how everyone described him in the first season.
    • Point of confusion: how did Stannis know Ned tried to warn him about Cersei and Jaime? The messenger Ned sent was intercepted and killed. I get that Stannis could have figured out the incest himself, but why's he know about Ned?

Craster is a wildling. All the other wildlings are missing.

The north is really far away from King's Landing, and they're going by foot.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    The messenger Ned sent last season was never intercepted, Ned sent him before Robert finally died. Presumably he reached Dragonstone shortly before s2 started

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    was it just me or did the priestess'
    necklace glow when she drank the poison?

• quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    Not just you, Eddy.
    I loved her accent. I'm not sure why, but it just worked for me.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i will assassinate anyone who is anti titty-bounce

WAR CHU! Keep titties bouncing errday.

It's fun typing that outside the MMA thread...

Anywho, me and the GF were wondering if the Melisandre scene was amazingly confusing to non book readers?

Yeah, kinda.
    My thoughts during her scenes:
    "Huh? Who is that? What is this place?
    Who is that guy? Oh, Stannis..why is he with her?
    Sword of Light? What?
    So she's immune to poison because of her glowy amulet? Oh, okay."

I didn't really have a problem with it. the priestess is convincing stannis to go to war because she's cray cray or something, the old mentor tries to be 'man war is super dumb'

but he doesn't really do his job very well and the sword is supposed to inspire loyalty by being a rad symbol

edited April 2012
    Yeah, I hadn't noticed that at first, but I rewatched the scene today because I saw people mention it, and it definitely glows a bit

Kana on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah, I hadn't noticed that at first, but I rewatched the scene today because I saw people mention it, and it definitely glows a bit

I like how subtle it is. It's slight enough that it could just be a gemstone catching the light, but it's definitely deliberate at the same time.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought the Stannis scenes were a little confusing, as someone who's read the book. And some aspects of it felt rushed. Particularly the whole poisoning thing--if you're going to pull that trick, why pick a poison that takes effect before the other person can even drink?

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg

The dragon looked great, man some of you guys are picky.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Because it's TV and they had no time, probably.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I thought the Stannis scenes were a little confusing, as someone who's read the book. And some aspects of it felt rushed. Particularly the whole poisoning thing--if you're going to pull that trick, why pick a poison that takes effect before the other person can even drink?

cause they wanted to show just how badass melisandre really is
    where she sees him dying and drinks anyway just to demonstrate that she is not to be fucked with

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    Dragon and direwolves looked pure, distilled awesome. I especially loved the sun playing through the red's wings. The wolf is scary as fuck and I loved it.
    Lol, for a moment I thought "Hey, why is he that pony/small horse walking into the cageOH FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK I SURRENDERTAKEITAWAY"
    I may well be in love with Sybel Kekilli. The Melisandre scenes were a little unclear, might have introduced her a little more explicitly.
    Loved it all so far, want moar.

Also, titties.
    *bounce*
    *bounce*

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    *THUD*

*THUD THUD*

*THUD THUD*

FFFFFFFffffff there is a t-rex coming must go faster must go fUCK MY ASS THAT'S NO MOON, IT'S A DIREWOLF

Bouncing titties.

Addendum: I am somewhat disturbed by the apparent immense popularity of the

babystabbing

scene. o_O
    I loved it too D:

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    Love is not the right word.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I thought the dragon itself looked amazing, but I did feel her line of sight on it was slightly off

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Loved the Littlefinger/Cersei chat.

Littlefinger: Hey, let's chat like me and Varys do, I'll threaten you a bit and show how tough I am with my KNOWLEDGE.
    Cersei: How about I just have my guys kill you with knives?
    Littlefinger: D:

Evermourn on
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Loved the Littlefinger/Cersei chat.
    Littlefinger: Hey, let's chat like me and Varys do, I'll threaten you a bit and show how tough I am with my KNOWLEDGE.
    Cersei: How about I just have my guys kill you with knives?
    Littlefinger: D:
    that scene was done greatly.
    Two things:
    1) Cersei
    's little laugh when she goes "lol no I changed my mins, don't gut him lol" was the purity of evil
    2) Littlefinger
    's scared face wehn he realized possibly for the first time what kind of dangerous beast he was trolling
    Great, great acting all around. It's not just me thinking that Dinklage might well deserve some other big prize for this episode alone, no?

Also, Melisandre's amulet.
    I take it it glows when it nullifies poisons? It's magic?

*bounce bounce*

the_Frollo on
    Oh, and also
    the little touch of showing some of the city guards really weren't happy with their new duties. Little touches like that put in the depth that makes it seem real.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Oh, and also
    the little touch of showing some of the city guards really weren't happy with their new duties. Little touches like that put in the depth that makes it seem real.

That's something I am glad they put in cause I always hate it when
    the "evil" cops/army are always completely without any kind of humanity and just blindly do whatever the evil lord orders, no questions asked.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg

Also, Melisandre's amulet.
    I take it it glows when it nullifies poisons? It's magic?

That would appear to be the case. Unless it's just her power doing it, and the amulet is just a visible sign of it.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I liked the episode but they definitely crammed A LOT of stuff in there. A good chunk of the first half of the book was in this episode and it showed. Each scene got very little time to brew and they had to switch from character to character to set up the foundations for the new season, breaking the pacing each time. Hopefully now that they've already covered so much (confusing) ground, they'll spend the remaining episodes on the more contained stories

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    And yes, she clearly (like, super clearly) wasn't looking at the dragon but the dragon itself looked really really good for a TV show.

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    And yes, she clearly (like, super clearly) wasn't looking at the dragon but the dragon itself looked really really good for a TV show.

I agree. The CGI for the dragon was excellent, and to be fair it's a complex scene to shoot. There's going to be a few missteps as they figure out how to do the dragons and wolves (as they learned last year).

I appreciate the effort, though. It would have been easy to just have a glimpse of the dragon in the cage.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Ratings!

3.9 million for initial broadcast, 6.2 million viewers total on Sunday - not counting HBOGO/On Demand.

A decent increase over last year.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Crastor wasn't nearly as drawn and lecherous as I had pictured him. I always had David Bradely in my head (Filch from HP) imdb.com/name/nm0103195/[/url.

Crastor looked fine BUT he needed a dirty wildling beard

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
This discussion has been closed.