As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Newbies and the like

13»

• StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited March 2004
    Obbi wrote:
    Speaking of Newbies, it seems really, really obvious that they like to go to Linksville and post something of theirs. I mean, it's happening a lot more often.

about as often as reposts of the same link, despite the fact the link is still on Page 1.

I SAY I BECOME MOD OF THE LINK VILLAGE.

I mean, I'm there a lot.

I support this. Obbi really postwhores in linksville a lot, and is generally angry about it.

Steven on
  • KoopaTroopaKoopaTroopa Registered User regular
    edited March 2004
    After sign up hit them with a combo attack:

Rules included in registration email in such a fashion that it would have to be read to register completely. Perhaps a short quiz could be involved.

No New Topics for one-two weeks, only reply posting. This right here will let at least let the idea of how they should act present to them. That this isn't a place to make a shitload of topics about ass and crap, choose your moments and choose them well, otherwise its just better to shut the fuck up.

No image post's for one-two weeks, only linking to images. Cuts down on bandwidth usage and helps prevent the immediate eye raping of goatse.

KoopaTroopa on
    a_shellcr.gifani_smb2princess.gif
  • StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited March 2004

Rules included in registration email in such a fashion that it would have to be read to register completely. Perhaps a short quiz could be involved.

No New Topics for one-two weeks, only reply posting. This right here will let at least let the idea of how they should act present to them. That this isn't a place to make a shitload of topics about ass and crap, choose your moments and choose them well, otherwise its just better to shut the fuck up.

No image post's for one-two weeks, only linking to images. Cuts down on bandwidth usage and helps prevent the immediate eye raping of goatse.

We've had all this before. The best solution was a paragraph with the rules, and an ACCEPT or DECLINE link. But when you click ACCEPT, it says 'You didn't read the rules, did you,' and instead bury the real link somewhere in the middle.

Steven on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2004
    Steven wrote:

We've had all this before. The best solution was a paragraph with the rules, and an ACCEPT or DECLINE link. But when you click ACCEPT, it says 'You didn't read the rules, did you,' and instead bury the real link somewhere in the middle.

That would be sexy.

And...when was the last time someone Goatse'd the place...?

Feels like a long, long time...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2004
    Steven wrote:

I've said this before, I'll say it again. We're already very hostile to new people, we don't need to make it more so.

Personally I'm not likely to stick around a place that does that kind of shit.

Even your best solution is irritating and insulting to my mind.

Here is the most important issue. Only a small percentage of the Newbies fuck up. It is not acceptable to punish everyone becuase of a couple of assholes.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • KoopaTroopaKoopaTroopa Registered User regular
    edited March 2004
    Perhaps we should just give them a PM when they first sign up that says "Embrace the shit storm."

The ideas weren't really mine, I was just combining ones already said, and yeah treating newbies like that is insulting when they are just normal good people who want to sign up and contribute. The bad apples can end up ruining the bunch and in doing so turn away many a good future forumer.

Perhaps instead of regulating them with no "New Topics" at all they could just be given a message whenver they try and create a new topic within a certian time period, that says "Are you sure you want to be doing that? Its not good to start making new topics right off the bat. Unless what you have to say is very important its better to just not post it, or to post it in a chat thread. Otherwise you will likely be flamed and your topic locked, so think wisely." Or some shit like that. Just something direct that gets the idea across, and this time only to those who try and jump the gun into the forum scene. They can still post, but it gives them a second thought.

KoopaTroopa on
    a_shellcr.gifani_smb2princess.gif
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2004
    Perhaps instead of regulating them with no "New Topics" at all they could just be given a message whenver they try and create a new topic within a certian time period, that says "Are you sure you want to be doing that? Its not good to start making new topics right off the bat. Unless what you have to say is very important its better to just not post it, or to post it in a chat thread. Otherwise you will likely be flamed and your topic locked, so think wisely." Or some shit like that. Just something direct that gets the idea across, and this time only to those who try and jump the gun into the forum scene. They can still post, but it gives them a second thought.

"I'm afriad I can't let you do that dave".....

Despite all the bitching, the ocassional flaming of a stupid noob is actually good (in my opinion), flaming of everyone for being new is not, but that's a different issue.

And in my opinion, if people can't click the rules thread at the top of every forum, they're going to click through a warning pretty quick.

Most of them genuinly believe we care about their site, the forum they came from or the other stupid shit that gets posted again and again.

There is nothing inherantly wrong with the current system, it's just the high volume we get here.

At a forum that gets three sign ups a day, 1% making a stupid thread straight off is hardly noticed. Here it is very noticible.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2004
    if you'll notice, everyone (mostly me) is super nice to newbies who don't do stupid shit and break the rules. and, even more obvious, they don't get flamed at all. so really, the current system of flaming the fuck out of idiots who can't be bothered to read a small set of rules, is quite reasonable.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2004
    the cheat wrote:
    if you'll notice, everyone (mostly me) is super nice to newbies who don't do stupid shit and break the rules. and, even more obvious, they don't get flamed at all. so really, the current system of flaming the fuck out of idiots who can't be bothered to read a small set of rules, is quite reasonable.

:^:

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • xonexone Registered User new member
    edited March 2004
    An idea may be to just monitor new threads that a newbie (like myself :P ) may create, and have someone read them before they are available for others to view and reply to. Ofcourse, this is time-intensive on the part of the mods and deputies, so that may make this method unworkable. I have been to other forums where all posts are read before they are allowed to be posted, and it works well.

xone on
    The reason every major university maintains a department of mathematics is that it's cheaper than institutionalizing all those people. - Wanda the GNOME fish
  • C NoteC Note Registered User regular
    edited March 2004
    Or maybe what we need is not changes in the system, but an attitude change among the regulars. Stop being so hostile and maybe newbies won't be such a big problem.

C Note on
    edited March 2004
    C Note wrote:
    Or maybe what we need is not changes in the system, but an attitude change among the regulars. Stop being so hostile and maybe newbies won't be such a big problem.

Or maybe there is nothing wrong with the current system. Most of the newbies that get flamed earn it by doing stupid things that could be avoided by lurking for a week or so.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • PantsmonkeyPantsmonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2004
    How many new guys register each day or week ?

I honeslty think that for noobs

give them the new topic button but it automatically searches all forums, if a decent match is found and they continue anyway a mod gets a automated pm and is dispatched to ban.

Just leave the auto seach for new topics on for a week or 2 hell it would be useful for everyone sometimes.

Pantsmonkey on
    4ob39
    edited March 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Or maybe there is nothing wrong with the current system. Most of the newbies that get flamed earn it by doing stupid things that could be avoided by lurking for a week or so.

And for Karma reasons, this post should be edited to "I like to repeat myself"

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • PersivalPersival Registered User new member
    edited April 2004
    What's ironic is that I was gonna quote a bunch of ppl in this thread and now I'm not because it would basically just sound like flaming.

I registered a day or so ago and so far have been having quite a bit of fun just reading and commenting. But this particular thread, on probably one of the more important topics of this forum, has gotten larger than it probably should have.

The topic here seems to be hovering around newbie etiquette, a term that has no real definition other than jargon used to describe someone who is new to something. What has happened is that a lot of ppl seem to believe that "newb" or "Noob" is a synonym for "ignorant" which is just not the case. So what this thread is really discussing is the newbie steriotype?

I say leave the newbies alone and ban the screw-ups. From what I understand that's the way things are done right now, and I am still having fun, so it must be working.

oh...and Argh!!

Persival on
    "....noteriety is not as good as fame, but it's heaps better than obscurity."
    ~ Prachett & Gaiman "Good Omens"