As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need a boot disk that will run chkdsk... I think.

poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I dropped my laptop yesterday and now Windows 7 won't load. I can get the BIOS/Setup screen fine, but after that I get a black screen with a little flashing cursor up the top. I tried the Lenovo One-Key recovery system, but that hangs after trying to read the hard drive. I don't have a Win 7 disk.

I tried an old Win XP CD I had lying around. No dice, it got quite far, loading lots of drivers, but eventually BSoD'd saying there was a problem with the HDD.

It seems that dropping it has buggered the HDD, but someone told me that if I can run chkdsk or some other HDD utility, I might be able to salvage things. Is that true? And if so, what do I do? I have an old Win XP desktop, so I can download utilities and burn CDs - but what? I thought Easy BCD was the kind of thing I wanted, but after downloading it, that doesn't seem to be the case.

If I can't do anything, will borrowing a Win 7 disk off a friend help? The laptop (Lenovo G570) is only 3 months old, and I haven't emailed the seller yet, but I assume it's still in warranty. But replacing it is of course a last resort.

I figure I could take a bear.
poshniallo on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hiren's Boot Disk has pretty much every useful utility you could want on it.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You might also check if the drop knocked something physically loose inside.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Getting a friend's Win7 disk certainly wouldn't hurt. It'll allow you to see if you can get through the boot steps to at least a repair/recovery option. Though, given that you got that far with an xp disk, I'm not sold it'll be that simple.

Hiren's is a pretty loaded option, as is the UBCD (I believe that's the acronym - ultimate bootdisk CD I think). They're chock full of goodies, though by virtue of their chockfulliness, are somewhat daunting to users who don't know most of the tools on them.

Edit: should add the additional tip besides chkdsk that should be ubiquitous by now (assuming you can get to a prompt/safe mode): sfc /scannow to take a pass over your existing winstallation.

Straygatsby on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Most Laptops have a hard disk check utility built into the BIOS.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Something like what zerzhul mentioned would do. I used to use something similar called Trinity Rescue Kit. Thankfully, I haven't needed anything like that in a while (knock on wood) so I don't know if it is still actively developed, but it used to be great. Virtually any bootable Linux distro with decent disk utilities would fit the bill nicely.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png