As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Projector Screens

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
So, at my office, we have a meeting room that we occasionally do presentations on via a projector. At the moment, I haul a portable screen into there that is... in poor shape. It looks pretty unprofessional, and while not a ton of work, the thing is kinda ghetto and a pain to move around (I'm not one to complain about ten minutes of work once every month or so, though). So, I was thinking I could wall mount a projector screen in the meeting room, let it hang down in front of our white board. I was looking at something like this or this. I did a bunch of work like this in college, and had good experience with DA-LITE screens. What I'm curious about is the wall mounting; I'm guessing I'd need to use something like these, but I notice you need to have your own screws or whatever for mounting them. I think we have plaster walls, so I think we'd need some sort of anchor to secure it with, but I don't know (while I'm not terrible with hardware, this isn't exactly my forte).

I would also consider a ceiling mount (or other alternatives), but we've got tile ceilings (those thin, metal rails with, like, particle board or pressboard tiles), which I would assume would make a ceiling mount difficult, if not impossible. And while we're willing to pay for this, it's not something we use super-often, so expense is definitely a consideration, and those screens seem very inexpensive.

So, basically, I'm looking for help with what the best method for mounting would be, or any other suggestions (or tell me why I'm crazy).

Thanatos on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You should have studs in your wall you should be able to attach those too. I imagine they're probably in the ballpark of 15 lbs? Drywall anchors could potentially work, but right into the stud and that shit won't go anywhere.

You could always get a tripod based projector screen?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You can mount it in your suspended ceiling if there are no studs:

http://www.nextag.com/DA-LITE-Ceiling-Trim-68721208/prices-html

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    As mentioned, drywall anchors would hold that up just fine for your use, as well as some simple eye-rings and chain ran attached to the ceiling joists and ran down through 2 small holes cut into the drop-ceiling tiles (sort of like what spool posted, only DIY and only will cost you about 10 bucks in supplies).

I've got a 120" screen but it's fixed frame so it's all one big piece that is always up, its about 50 lbs and is hung just by one french-cleat that's attached the center of it and across two wall studs. It's not going anywhere and is way more heavy than a manual screen.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    You should have studs in your wall you should be able to attach those too. I imagine they're probably in the ballpark of 15 lbs? Drywall anchors could potentially work, but right into the stud and that shit won't go anywhere.

You could always get a tripod based projector screen?
    We have a tripod-based screen now. I'm not a fan of the amount of room it takes up, plus it's in kinda crappy condition, is a pain to move around, and if I'm not here, no one else knows how to set it up. If it's an in-room screen, I don't have to worry about any of that.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    You can mount it in your suspended ceiling if there are no studs:

http://www.nextag.com/DA-LITE-Ceiling-Trim-68721208/prices-html
    That's more than I'm looking to spend. Thanks for the recommendation, though.