As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    Crastor wasn't nearly as drawn and lecherous as I had pictured him. I always had David Bradely in my head (Filch from HP) imdb.com/name/nm0103195/[/url.
    But that's Walder Frey! ;)

3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Does HBO GO release Game of Thrones episodes earlier than HBO on tv? Apparently there is a leak of the second episode on the internet of the second episode. I scanned it and it looks legit.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Crastor wasn't nearly as drawn and lecherous as I had pictured him. I always had David Bradely in my head (Filch from HP) imdb.com/name/nm0103195/[/url.

David Bradely is Walder Frey, so he's out :P

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Boognish wrote: »

I thought Walder Frey looked way too young. Looking at wikipedia, the actor is only 69, and Walder Frey is meant to be in his nineties.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    johnwing wrote: »
    Does HBO GO release Game of Thrones episodes earlier than HBO on tv? Apparently there is a leak of the second episode on the internet of the second episode. I scanned it and it looks legit.

Some foreign country is getting the episodes early.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

I thought Walder Frey looked way too young. Looking at wikipedia, the actor is only 69, and Walder Frey is meant to be in his nineties.

I still thought it was a fine choice though.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sepinwall was asked what the ratings meant on Twitter and his response was flatly "That it will be renewed, likely today." He says the only question is if they'll renew it for one season or two.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Sepinwall was asked what the ratings meant on Twitter and his response was flatly "That it will be renewed, likely today." He says the only question is if they'll renew it for one season or two.

This is good news. Hopefully for two.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    It depends. This show is pretty expensive for them to produce, but that's a pretty hefty spike in viewership. Obviously, I'd love to see as many seasons as possible, but I understand the realities of TV being what they are that it may not happen.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Would information from the commentary from Season 1 DVD set be a spoiler? Just curious, because they talk about how they put the dragons in scenes IIRC and its more than just CGI, so if she wasn't quite looking in the right spot, it may have been intentional.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular

Now that I think about it I picture a lot of people in GOT looking like him.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Apparently HBO Go in like, Croatia or something had episode 2 as an early bonus for the service, like how they had episode 6(?) in the states for season one.

So of course it's made its way onto the interwebs

Of course the worse thing about seeing an episode early (uh, I hear) is then the realization that now you've got to wait two weeks for the next one

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    Lack of on-screen
    baby stabbing
    was another disappointment. Come on HBO, you going soft on me? Of course, the best part will be that this won't draw nearly the controversy of dog stabbing from S1.

Eh, I don't know. I think this one of these things you absolutely can't show on TV - and I honestly, I really don't want to see it either.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm in no rush 8->

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    Regarding the dragon effects:

I'll agree that Danerys doesn't do a great job of acting with the CG models, but IMO, that's more of a direction issue than it is animation/modeling. All she had to do in the S1 finale was stand there with her arms out, and they modeled dragons on her. Here she was having to interact with a thing that wasn't there, and that can be tricky to figure out. It was okay. Not great.

The actual models/animation of both the dragon and the direwolf were better than expected.

Maz- wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i will assassinate anyone who is anti titty-bounce

WAR CHU! Keep titties bouncing errday.

It's fun typing that outside the MMA thread...

Anywho, me and the GF were wondering if the Melisandre scene was amazingly confusing to non book readers?

Yeah, kinda.
    My thoughts during her scenes:
    "Huh? Who is that? What is this place?
    Who is that guy? Oh, Stannis..why is he with her?
    Sword of Light? What?
    So she's immune to poison because of her glowy amulet? Oh, okay."

I didn't really have a problem with it. the priestess is convincing stannis to go to war because she's cray cray or something, the old mentor tries to be 'man war is super dumb'

but he doesn't really do his job very well and the sword is supposed to inspire loyalty by being a rad symbol

What confused me was that he just left the sword there, sticking in the sand and walked off.

I think in the S1 finale they did actually have like stuffed dragons to give her a frame of reference, but when they're rearing up like that I imagine it's harder to do?

• RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    I think in the S1 finale they did actually have like stuffed dragons to give her a frame of reference, but when they're rearing up like that I imagine it's harder to do?

Yeah. Anyhow, as long as they keep the handling scenes brief like they did, I don't see it breaking my suspension of disbelief too badly.
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i will assassinate anyone who is anti titty-bounce

WAR CHU! Keep titties bouncing errday.

It's fun typing that outside the MMA thread...

Anywho, me and the GF were wondering if the Melisandre scene was amazingly confusing to non book readers?

Yeah, kinda.
    My thoughts during her scenes:
    "Huh? Who is that? What is this place?
    Who is that guy? Oh, Stannis..why is he with her?
    Sword of Light? What?
    So she's immune to poison because of her glowy amulet? Oh, okay."

I didn't really have a problem with it. the priestess is convincing stannis to go to war because she's cray cray or something, the old mentor tries to be 'man war is super dumb'

but he doesn't really do his job very well and the sword is supposed to inspire loyalty by being a rad symbol

What confused me was that he just left the sword there, sticking in the sand and walked off.

That whole scene was kinda rushed, but most of the exposition scenes have to be: otherwise there would be little else. It's just something to get used to for the series going forward I think. You will be introduced to a pile of characters at once. If they're important, you'll get more info later. If they're not, they'll die/leave/turn into jelly/have been a hologram the whole time.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    What confused me was that
    he just left the sword there, sticking in the sand and walked off.

Are you serious?
    That shit was on fire. He was probably thinking to himself, "HOT HOT HOT HOT" every second he held the thing.

Are you serious?
    That shit was on fire. He was probably thinking to himself, "HOT HOT HOT HOT" every second he held the thing.
    Thoros of Myr doesn't seem to have any problem with flaming swords. At least according to Jaime and Jory.

edited April 2012

Are you serious?

Oh you with your logic and common sense. 8->

If he were a real badass, he would've said "eff those blisters!" and carried that thing throughout the whole episode.

Maz- on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Are you serious?
    Thoros of Myr doesn't seem to have any problem with flaming swords. At least according to Jaime and Jory.

I am partially joking, of course. I could go into more detail but NOT BOOK THREAD.

Tomanta wrote: »

Are you serious?

I am partially joking, of course. I could go into more detail but NOT BOOK THREAD.

Of course, on both counts.

I think I get what they are going for in the scene, but it was really odd as presented.

• jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular

Does the first book count as spoilers?
    Doesn't Sansa consider doing this to Joffrey, but eventually wimps out?

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    jimbo034 wrote: »

If I recall correctly, she just starts to think about pretty dresses and how handsome Loras is.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg

The books don't exist! But Sophie Turner does convey the thing you're suggesting fairly well in the show, so no real harm.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

The books don't exist! But Sophie Turner does convey the thing you're suggesting fairly well in the show, so no real harm.
    He was talking about the Sue Grafton novel "W for Westeros"

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

oooh yeah me too, that's him in my head

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well this probably isn't news but I thought it was funny so I'm posting it anyway:

Spoilered for size, not actual content.

Edit: Goes well with that Fox Trot comic.

Boring7 on
    So It Goes wrote: »

oooh yeah me too, that's him in my head

Filch is all busy being Walder Frey though.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular

I think they were trying to show that he's not a true believer, and is just going through the motions. Also indicated by Ser Davos carrying the sword away over his shoulder like it was a golf club. But yes, it did seem pretty odd. The whole Lightbringer ceremony looked pretty embarassing really, it wasn't that impressive and I think he was keen just to forget the whole thing.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »

I think they were trying to show that he's not a true believer, and is just going through the motions. Also indicated by Ser Davos carrying the sword away over his shoulder like it was a golf club. But yes, it did seem pretty odd. The whole Lightbringer ceremony looked pretty embarassing really, it wasn't that impressive and I think he was keen just to forget the whole thing.

my favorite part of that scene was him picking up and carrying the sword showing us that he's basically the guy that has to stick around and pick up after his lord which i felt was a great introduction to who davos is

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I.... what? that final scene with them climbing on her and shes standing still, she was CGI too, and it looked terrible. part of her walking was as well. I figured they had the "budget" and it was easier then putting cgi dragons on an actress/she botched it every time. Or am I out of my mind?

edit: this one:
    hmmmm video has nudity... search "Game of Thrones - Daenerys' Rebirth / Birth of the Dragons" on youtube. I dont think were supposed to even link to NSFW stuff. As soon as she stands, she looks to be completely replaced by bad cgi.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Final scene looks pretty normal in hd. That youtube video is downgraded and a bit stuttery.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Uh, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say the last scene in S1 was badly done much less Dany being cgi.

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Sometimes I just don't understand. The CGI on this show is perfectly passable to me, and it's a TV show. I'm beginning to think people don't even know what bad CGI looks like anymore. I might call the CGI in this show "adequate" or "workmanlike," but not bad.

I wish we could just make a deal: they're going to do the best CGI they can on their current budget, and we're going to agree to occasionally suspend our disbelief.

Why does it look like that? A wizard did it.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Wha the scene looks okay

I'm not expecting hundred million dollar effects, the dragons look far better than I could have hoped

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I think it all looks incredible. I'm also super thankful that we even get a proper fantasy show in the first place, much less one with as big a budget as HBO has given any of their shows.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Seriously, CGI is so crazy good these days

And all you ever hear people say is how bad CGI looks, simply because they can tell it's CGI

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.