As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    My Ninetailes that never forgets....TO KILL!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    No one will defeat me this year! I'll sweep the league with my mighty Rotom, all will crumble under his adorable gaze. Even the mighty Stunfisk!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I have to figure out a way over the weekend to make sure my kid has a team of 6 that he can take to battle that aren't on the banned list. I'm thinking about stealing his copy and maybe he'll just think he lost it temporarily so I have time to review his Pokes. I know it will level up sub-level 50 pokemon, but I'd like him to have a real team ready to go.

I don't think we've ever battled with Black/White - is it pretty self-explanatory on how to connect/battle others?

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    I have to figure out a way over the weekend to make sure my kid has a team of 6 that he can take to battle that aren't on the banned list. I'm thinking about stealing his copy and maybe he'll just think he lost it temporarily so I have time to review his Pokes. I know it will level up sub-level 50 pokemon, but I'd like him to have a real team ready to go.

I don't think we've ever battled with Black/White - is it pretty self-explanatory on how to connect/battle others?

It's super straightforward, much more so than the other games; the C-Gear menu does that. Just hit the red button (for the IR menu) and choose battle, then 1 v 1 (if I remember correctly). It's much faster and easier than the previous games, where you had to go into the pokemon center and stuff.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • ShaderShader The Master Ranger Registered User regular
    Volaro wrote: »
    No one will defeat me this year! I'll sweep the league with my mighty Rotom, all will crumble under his adorable gaze. Even the mighty Stunfisk!
    Arg Rotom! *shakes fist*
    I shall try my utmost to deal with the household appliances of Doom!

• MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote: »
    DanUNG wrote: »
    ... Now what'll we talk about? D:

Propriety's inevitable defeat.

I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

Wow, he really has it in for you. If he asks me where you are next weekend, I'm not going going to tell him.

Unless there was a cupcake involved...

• MesoianMesoian Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Whoops, misfire.

Mesoian on
    edited March 2012
    And now A Thing You Probably Know!:

You probably know that there are many different status effects in the game, but did you know that many of them have secondary effects as well? A Burn can turn a ferocious physical attacker into a harmless kitten and a Freeze can spell doom for the unlucky, so stock up on Full Heals and learn all about Status Ailments right here:

Status Ailments

Morganstern on
    Such useful information! Thanks, Morganstern!

Also, people may want to keep an eye on the website on April 1st... not that April 1st has any significance whatsoever......

...............................................................................

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Riokenn wrote: »
    My Ninetailes that never forgets....TO KILL!

KrabbyCitizen.png

I tried to make a competitve Pinsir named Citizen Snips. It ended poorly :(

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I just put together a team that is fairly strong against everything.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    But weak to the most powerful Pokemon ever:
    pokmon-not-even-level-yet1.jpg

Heleor wrote: »
    But weak to the most powerful Pokemon ever:
    pokmon-not-even-level-yet1.jpg

<takes off sunglasses> Mother of God.

• cyberwolfcyberwolf Registered User new member
    Gonna be spending the entire train ride up training the rest of my team.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    cyberwolf wrote: »

Fo' reals, yo. My team is shit (as in, from a butt) right now. Heavy use of AR on the train ride in is my only hope for putting together a team that will not embarrass me, and you as well, for having to battle me.

HHMMMMMMMMmmmm maybe you should be checking out the website......

edited April 2012
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    cyberwolf wrote: »

Fo' reals, yo. My team is shit (as in, from a butt) right now. Heavy use of AR on the train ride in is my only hope for putting together a team that will not embarrass me, and you as well, for having to battle me.

Though the website is more dangerous than usual today, I draw your attention to Rule 4.

Please do not use hacked pokemon in the league. I assure you we have leaders to play against all team levels, so try to do your best without using AR or similar devices.

Morganstern on
    HHMMMMMMMMmmmm maybe you should be checking out the website......

Thank you. Thank you so much for this guide. I've had a sneaking suspicion that Stunfisk have been gathering outside of my home in the past few days. This just confirms it! Now I have time to write to my loved ones before they break through my defenses.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular

Though the website is more dangerous than usual today, I draw your attention to Rule 4.

Please do not use hacked pokemon in the league. I assure you we have leaders to play against all team levels, so try to do your best without using AR or similar devices.

Don't worry, I was just talking about quick-leveling. I wouldn't do anything to muck with the underlying mechanics of the game.

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    That warning on the site means nothing, my army of Stunfisk will take the whole world by storm, warning or no warning!

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    That warning on the site means nothing, my army of Stunfisk will take the whole world by storm, warning or no warning!

ARE YOU MAD?! YOU'RE PLAYING WITH FIRE, MAN!!! YOU COULD BE KILLED... OR... WORSE.

ARE YOU MAD?! YOU'RE PLAYING WITH FIRE, MAN!!! YOU COULD BE KILLED... OR... WORSE.

I know the risks, and I am willing to accept them. It is inevitable that one day Stunfisk shall rule the land, sea, and air, so I have my hopes that by helping them, they shall spare me.
    However if I shall die, I shall die with pride!

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    edited April 2012

You probably know what the Abilities your pokemon posses can do, but do you know what your opponent's abilities do as well? Knowledge of different abilities can pave the way to badge acquisition, so learn your Guts from your Klutz by perusing the Abilitydex:

Abilities

Morganstern on

You probably know what the Abilities your pokemon posses can do, but do you know what your opponent's abilities do as well? Knowledge of different abilities can pave the way to badge acquisition, so learn your Guts from your Klutz by perusing the Abilitydex:

Abilities

This is a good tip! I always forget which Pokemon have Levitate, and which just LOOK like they should have levitate.

It took forever to stop thinking that Magnemite and his evolutions have Levitate. Ugh.

• BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    I just put together a team that is fairly strong against everything.

YOU CAN'T BEAT MY FLYING TYPE POKEMON! THERE IS NO WEAKNES....oh wait

It took forever to stop thinking that Magnemite and his evolutions have Levitate. Ugh.

I KNOW. And Klinklang. HOW DO THEY NOT HAVE LEVITATE?!

ALSO: Meetup times have been posted! http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/04/meetup-times/ Meetups are a great way to earn tons of badges quickly, without actually having to hunt down gym leaders in the wild! They're like the Safari zone for gym leaders.

• XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    I'm working on my Gen V team and it should be ready in time, but that's not what we're here to talk about. We're here to talk about Gen I. Specifically, the fact that many of you have had Red, Blue, or Yellow since 1998 (when did I get this old), and therefore have respectable teams available for battling. Via Link Cable. At PAX. Thoughts?

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]

I KNOW. And Klinklang. HOW DO THEY NOT HAVE LEVITATE?!

ALSO: Meetup times have been posted! http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/04/meetup-times/ Meetups are a great way to earn tons of badges quickly, without actually having to hunt down gym leaders in the wild! They're like the Safari zone for gym leaders.

I always forgot that most ghost pokemon (not actually sure if any actually do off the top of my head) don't have levitate as an ability
    since they've all been shown to levitate in the anime and just through logical thinking since most don't have legs.

I also used to think Geodude had levitate just because in the anime Brock's would always float around. However after I actually caught my first one and actually wanted to use it I was disappointed to find out it wasn't immune to earthquake like I thought it was.

WOOP WOOP!
    edited April 2012
    I always forgot that most ghost pokemon (not actually sure if any actually do off the top of my head) don't have levitate as an ability
    since they've all been shown to levitate in the anime and just through logical thinking since most don't have legs.

Just because they levitate doesn't meant they can Levitate.

Morganstern on

Just because they levitate doesn't meant they can Levitate.

Well yes I'm aware. I've been playing since I was in second grade, it wasn't until 4th grade I even knew what an ability was then it took another few years for me to work out what pokemon actually had what abilities. The fact it shows them floating never helped me in my deduction as a child. I've worked out levitate though since diamond and pearl came out...

Not sure if that was just a general thing, but my defensive reflexes kicked in XD

WOOP WOOP!
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    I do enjoy enforcing the rule of during meetups Leaders require a beanbag before they can fight.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Gameshark wrote: »
    I do enjoy enforcing the rule of during meetups Leaders require a beanbag before they can fight.

This rule. I like it.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    Gameshark wrote: »

This rule. I like it.

And possibly access to a charger. Because once we sit down, we ain't moving.

• ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Xerlith wrote: »
    I'm working on my Gen V team and it should be ready in time, but that's not what we're here to talk about. We're here to talk about Gen I. Specifically, the fact that many of you have had Red, Blue, or Yellow since 1998 (when did I get this old), and therefore have respectable teams available for battling. Via Link Cable. At PAX. Thoughts?

YES. I want to go to there.

Consider my Gen 1 packed, though my teams are in no wise respectable.

Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
  • XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    Zombiewski wrote: »

YES. I want to go to there.

Consider my Gen 1 packed, though my teams are in no wise respectable.
    Unfortunately, mine is...beefy. I made it for a floor RBY tournament last year, and they're all lv. 100. What level are your guys?

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    So guess who doesn't have a working team outside of my adventuring one? Me! I'll likely try and trade over my shuckle to white and use them again. I can't wait to see all of you again this year, though! I probably won't be cosplaying because I didn't end up finishing my costume, but if you spot a girl with teal hair, that's probably me.

That would be... SO COOL. Though I probably won't have my old gameboy and Pokemon Red (I don't even know where it is... I'm sure I have it somewhere) if there's any place you'll find someone ready to Link Cable battle, it'd be at PAX.

So guess who doesn't have a working team outside of my adventuring one? Me! I'll likely try and trade over my shuckle to white and use them again. I can't wait to see all of you again this year, though! I probably won't be cosplaying because I didn't end up finishing my costume, but if you spot a girl with teal hair, that's probably me.

<3<3<3 Prepare for ALL OF THE HUGS.