As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I still don't give a hoot about all the stuff with Hope and the Phoenix, but Versus could actually be fun.

This has actually become my standard litany for event comics. I almost never buy the main series anymore, but I'll pick up any tie-ins that interest me.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    That is pretty funny.

I enjoy the "thing" pun in the first panel.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'd buy that for a dollar

Hell, I'd pay 3.99$

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I'd buy that for a dollar

Hell, I'd pay 3.99$

Good news!

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Wait why isn't A vs. X-men issue 1 coming out tomorrow? I thought it dropped on April 4?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    You know, considering what happened with SA last week I wouldn't be surprised if Diamond left it off the distribution lists. Or there was an order to go ahead and start selling once all the other copies leaked.

huntresssig.jpg
    Yeah, I've seen other shipping lists that have Avengers v.s. X-Men on them.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    the list here is what is shipping this week, avx 1 actullay shipped last week, but is out tomorrow.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I don't really care about Avengers vs X-men, but my comic shop is doing a massive launch party tonight, and I'll be able to get my weekly books a day early, so... yay.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    This is my first big Marvel event

I'm pumped

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    mine was secret invasion, so I'm giving you the win here

As long as the main A vs. X and Versus series is on comiXology I'm good.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    My first big Marvel event was Secret Wars. Amazing that the only thing to come out of that event that's still relevant was Venom.

"Dear Marvel events: You've come a long way, baby."

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    My first Marvel event was Onslaught. Little did I know what started as an X-men event would turn into a huge Marvel event.

Arryn wrote: »
    My first big Marvel event was Secret Wars. Amazing that the only thing to come out of that event that's still relevant was Venom.

Well, it was the first one.

Technically, it was mine too.

huntresssig.jpg
    Speaking of Secret Wars I skimmed through the trade of Secret War 2 at Barnes & Noble and HOLY SHIT the art was BAD.

Talking about Secret Wars lead me down the Wikipedia rabbit hole and holy shit why did no one ever tell me Jim Steranko did everything awesome ever

huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Steranko was amazing

right up there with Kirby and Moebius

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Speaking of Secret Wars I skimmed through the trade of Secret War 2 at Barnes & Noble and HOLY SHIT the art was BAD.

All of Secret Wars 2 was bad, not just the art. Concept, storyline, tie-ins ... the only memorable part was the Beyonder turning an entire office building into gold, and then watching Peter Parker angst himself away worse than Hamlet over whether or not to keep a gold notepad he'd pocketed during the fiasco.

But Beyonder with a jerry curl and a Member's Only jacket? Yeah, that was special.

Steranko was amazing

right up there with Kirby and Moebius

Steranko was a really interesting dude, and artistically skilled. But, his body of work is so small, I have a hard time placing him alongside giants like Kirby and Moebius. Most of the stuff in his bibliography is pin-ups, inks, drawing over Kirby's layouts, short stories, doing spot illustrations for text stories, or stuff that no one's ever heard of. Even his Captain America and X-Men work is pretty much forgotten. The only thing he's really remembered for, is the four issues of Nick Fury that he did.
    DC

-Catwoman: Selina's Big Score #1, pinup (2002)
    -Superman #400, story "The Exile at the End of Eternity" (10pp.) (Oct. 1984)[1]
    -Superman Gallery, one-shot, pinup (1993)

Marvel

-Captain America #110-111, 113, plus covers (Feb.-March, May 1969)
    -Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1-3, 5, plus covers; covers only: #4, 6-7 (Jun-Dec. 1968)
    -Our Love Story #5, story "My Heart Broke in Hollywood" (7pp.) (Feb. 1970)
    -Strange Tales #151-153 (over Jack Kirby layouts), #154-168; odd-number covers from #151 (inker only), #153-167 (Dec. 1966 - May 1968)
    -Tower of Shadows #1, story "At the Stroke of Midnight" (7pp.) (Sept. 1969)
    -X-Men #50-51 (1968)
    -FOOM, cover only, #2 (Summer 1973) (also incidental art, #1-4, Feb. 1973 - Winter 1974)

Other publishers

-Dark Horse Presents, vol. 2, #3 (text story with painted art and also variant cover, 2011)
    -Double-Dare Adventures #1 (Dec. 1966; Harvey Comics) (wrote and partly penciled story "Legend of the Glowing Gladiator", possibly penciled intro page, possibly wrote story "The Secret of Magicmaster")
    -Heavy Metal, vol. 5, #3-7, 10 (HM Communications; June-Oct. 1981, Jan. 1982) - Serialized Outland movie adaptation
    -Spyman #1-2 (Sep-Dec. 1966; Harvey Comics)
    -The Illustrated Harlan Ellison 3-D story "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" (10pp.) (Baronet Publishing; Dec. 1978)

I'm not trying to take anything away from Steranko. He certainly hit upon a certain style at the right time, and influenced a lot of upcoming artists to think differently about how they approached comics. And it says something that he managed to make such an impact, with such a small body of work.

But, I feel like he was a tourist in Comics Land, while Moebius and Kirby were life-long residents.

Of course, there's something to be said for getting while the getting's good.

All of Secret Wars 2 was bad, not just the art. Concept, storyline, tie-ins ... the only memorable part was the Beyonder turning an entire office building into gold, and then watching Peter Parker angst himself away worse than Hamlet over whether or not to keep a gold notepad he'd pocketed during the fiasco.

But Beyonder with a jerry curl and a Member's Only jacket? Yeah, that was special.

future tip: it's a jheri curl.

@Munch Yeah, I think I want to get ahold of those Nick Fury issues mostly.

huntresssig.jpg
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular

Thing is, a gold notepad in a world with a gold office building would be significantly devalued as a commodity. So shut up, Peter.

8aVThp6.png
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    My local comic book store was all Avengers fans. At least five dudes wearing Cap shirts. No X-men.

So is there anything backing up Cyclops' logic? Or is he just being dumb? I don't know the Phoenix Force.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Cyclops has always been a douche. I hope he's one of ones to go in this event, and we see a better form of leadership on the X-Men side. Magneto can take over, and turn the X-Men into one huge army of human hating mutants.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

Well, it was the first one.

Technically, it was mine too.

I do have Secret Wars, but I'd be misleading all of you if I didn't fess up and disclose that my first event was Maximum Carnage.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    first event was Infinity Gauntlet.

I actually remember buying my first real comic as a kid while at an airport waiting to take a flight.

It was an issue of Silver Surfer that lead up to the Gauntlet (He and Warlock were trapped in the Soul Gem).

ended up reading Surfer for several years after that. Read all of Gauntlet, which got me started reading the Avengers books. Eventually started reading X-Men when the big X-Men #1 Jim Lee thing hit. got all of those, X-Factor, Uncanny, and X-Force.

Managed to get quite a bit for only having a $5 allowance each week.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    X-Cutioner's Song was my first event, and you got the cards along with the comic and half the ads were for Dungeons and Dragons. I just remember even as a kid it was odd that in the X-Factor issues, there was very little X-Factor, it was mostly Wolverine, Bishop, and Cable.
    glithert wrote: »
    So is there anything backing up Cyclops' logic? Or is he just being dumb? I don't know the Phoenix Force.

It's plot power. Cyclops has tried to kill the Phoenix force the last times he fought it, and this idea of wanting to control it now basically just appeared for this event for the conflict (there's been very little buildup to the X-Men and Avengers having a split over stuff, even in X-Sanction).

TexiKen on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The thing I don't get is the X-Men have got... at least four people who've been touched by the Phoenix Force on their side right now? The X-Men should be old hat at handling this. The Avengers weren't all up ins during Endsong and Warsong. If anything, the Avengers have the motivation down to just plot, especially since they just got done telling the X-Men that the Scarlet Witch was their ball to play with.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This kind of stuff is what I meant basically by the conflict of the event seeming contrived.

Gaslight on
    edited April 2012
    Man, Avengers vs. X-Men #1 was not good. It's not only a bad event issue, it's a bad Bendis issue. If you're an Avengers reader it reads like a very decompressed story where the bulk of the plot was in the free previews in every book for the past two months, and if you're a fan of the X-Men, well, let's hug it out. That was not Cyclops in this issue. Not the Cyclops since the 90's, not the Cyclops since Morrison's run, not even the Cyclops since Schism. Here he's clearly the villain as both the art and story try to tell us, without a doubt. Even worse, it feels completely opposite to what we saw last week in AvX #0. And the entire reasoning for Cyclops is never mentioned in the issue until Emma tells us halfway through the story, and it still makes no sense.
    Cyclops doesn't do the beating, screaming and yelling of AGAIN! to Hope, who seems to have lost her completely hardcore ways from last week. Nowhere since Schism has Scott been like that, even in training the kids. He's been the guy who seems distant and calculating, but has genuine concern for the wellbeing of his team, and even the other side. Look at how he talks to Dani or Rogue when she left, or Hope or the X-Club in the past months. Even in Uncanny proper Cyclops shows Batman-level awareness and plans in a calm, cool manner.

And then because Hope shows Phoenix powers again for the 100th time this makes Cyclops, apparently off panel, think the Phoenix Force is all about rebirth, and I'm all wut.

You also have Hope looking like a scared kid in the way Romita draws her, and on top of that you have Magneto saying how much more Scott's like him now, on top of Cyclops shooting first against Cap.

Jeph Loeb wrote a better, in-character Cyclops in X-Sanction #4 than Bendis did in AvX #1. That should tell you something. The only good part was a one page story dealing with Wolverine, where it shoves the passive-aggressive stuff WatXM has had to the side and you see what he really thinks of Scott's psyche. That was the only good thing in the issue.

TexiKen on
    Haven't read the first issue yet but it sounds like it's designed for primarily new readers. And at least Bendis will only write one or two more issues.

The writing wasn't the problem for me, the art was. Holy shit Romita just blah all over the issue. There's about five or six good panels total, and all but one of those (a group shot redeemed by Namor grinning like a fiend) are portrait close-ups. Half of the characters don't even look remotely like themselves/are posed so stiffly they're like dolls, and he can't even keep the shirt straight on Hope. Lisa Walker phoned it in too, colours are all over the place and Cyclops' visor is missing the lens for two or three pages.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm interested in AvX but I have seen too many events and the "hype" just isn't there for me. Plus the preview images did not hook me at all.

If they are doing the "someone will die!" BS with this event (I'm not certain if they are, but I thought I heard a few folks allude to it) then I really don't want to reward them with money for killing someone off that will be back soon enough (or worse, doesn't come back and is someone I like!)

Caveman Paws on
    The only someone will die is attached to Avengers tie-in issues. People are just guessing because, well, Phoenix.

huntresssig.jpg
    Cyclops will probably die, that's my bet anyway.

AvX Infinite #1 was much better than the real story, and for a buck it's a great bargain. Waid's narration of the Nova helmet adds a lot of extra things that work in fleshing out the power, and Immonen's art is good as always, it looks like he's gone for a more angular look with this story. As far as the concept, it still needs some work, and would like to see an option for finished panels instead of having to constantly click the mouse or keyboard. Some cheap font at the beginning of the "issue" that looked like Times New Roman or Garamond in small white text (against black space and white dots, not the best) also didn't help. I also hope it doesn't mess with the left to right reading concept, as at one point it goes from left screen, to right, and then jumps back in the middle, and I felt like I clicked something too fast. It's a comic, let it keep the same flow.

I would say Immonen drew the equivalent of maybe six pages, but you get maybe 10-12 pages of story with how they alter the panels slightly with focus blur, etc. The only thing that seemed off was the final panel, where it seemed like Hawkeye was flying and Cap was super skipping to keep up with Iron Man and Ms. Marvel and Thor. That was the only thing that seemed off with the story. Well, that and the dubstep reference, and a Sportscenter reference that I can't tell if it was intentional or if it's part of a Disney branding thing. A good first step that probably had more words than all of AvX #1, but still some bugs to fix with how the story flows.

Oh, can I note how fucking goofy it was in AvX to see the whole title font Nova thrown in there? It happened in JLI this week too, and it's always jarring.

huntresssig.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Were you guys able to read Infinite on your desktops, or just on your tablets and phones?

It seems marvel is changing their website up, and their help section has been expanded a ton for digital stuff since when I had all my issues last month. However, none of it seems done yet: all the new help options are missing text, the pages they tell you to go to as work-arounds don't have all the right content, etc. etc.

At least they seem to be getting a little closer.

I read Infinite on my desktop via the comixology app, and it basically worked like their regular comic viewer, only it was a small square in the middle of the screen, and it kind of had a problem where if you went back and forth too quickly, it would give you a blank screen.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I just read it on my four inch phone screen.

Not super pleasant, and what was probably gorgeous art couldn't really be seen in a reasonable way.

Also, the AR app just crashes on my phone, even though the market says it's compatible. I wanted Axel Alonso to walk out of my comic and welcome me :(

This discussion has been closed.