As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Cohibaa wrote: »
    So if I want to do the Munchcathalon on Friday, what's the details? Is there a limit on players, is there a sub-registration, show up early?

At Prime we had tournament signups posted an hour or two before the actual tournament for most of our tournament events. I would definitely check with TT HQ early in the day to find out the exact details of how it will be handled this year.

zerzhul: The Munchcathalon is our vicious gauntlet of the card game Munchkin by Steve Jackson Games! It is a bloodbath filled with all the great things about Munchkin, including blatant wanton cheating (by way of SJ Games authorized promos)!

I must know more about this! Is there a link?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Cohibaa wrote: »
    So if I want to do the Munchcathalon on Friday, what's the details? Is there a limit on players, is there a sub-registration, show up early?

At Prime we had tournament signups posted an hour or two before the actual tournament for most of our tournament events. I would definitely check with TT HQ early in the day to find out the exact details of how it will be handled this year.

zerzhul: The Munchcathalon is our vicious gauntlet of the card game Munchkin by Steve Jackson Games! It is a bloodbath filled with all the great things about Munchkin, including blatant wanton cheating (by way of SJ Games authorized promos)!

I must know more about this! Is there a link?

I don't think there's a tabletop tourney thread anywhere. I think what Nullzone posted is the extent of it, except whatever's on the pax schedule.

• LucaLaSmokeLucaLaSmoke GM "Gamers With Kids 2012" Astoria Queens, New YorkRegistered User regular
    Super excited, this is my first pax event too. Driving up from new York city.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    While you can't bring your own console (and honestly, who wants to carry one of them to boston!), people have been known to bring their own memory cards for loading saves from fighting games with unlocked characters and other such helpful things.

Edit: Also CFP is open until 2am IIRC. Last checkout is earlier than that though.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • lui355lui355 Registered User new member
    LucaLaSmoke i'm taking the bus from nyc to PAX maybe we can meet up i'm excited myself. I had friends go last year and said it was awesome and this year its my turn. Thanks for the heads up everyone i will look into the hours it is open and yea i was hoping not to lug my 360 to Boston if i didn't have to. Now to beat ME3 before the event comes up

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    All of the freeplay areas have the same hours as PAX itself.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • MyBFisaTOTALGamerMyBFisaTOTALGamer Boston, MARegistered User new member
    I received my badges for Saturday, will there be lanyards when we arrive at the event or should I go out and buy them? Thank you! :)

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I received my badges for Saturday, will there be lanyards when we arrive at the event or should I go out and buy them? Thank you! :)

You will get some at the show.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

you will receive a lanyard when you pick up your swag bag upon arrival.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I have some friends coming on Saturday and they want to park at the Convention Center. Does it fill up quick?? They are getting there around 9:30am. Did anyone have a problem getting a spot last year?? Thanks!

• SoulCoolSoulCool Registered User new member
    I'm staying at the Hilton Boston Logan Airport and I just noticed it isn't listed on the shuttle list. So is there no shuttle to PAX from this hotel? If so, anyone know any other ways to get around? (preferably cheap ways) I'm not familiar with Boston.

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    How is the Doom console tournament going to work out? Is it on the 360 or something else. Also, should I bring my own controller?

• stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    SoulCool wrote: »
    I'm staying at the Hilton Boston Logan Airport and I just noticed it isn't listed on the shuttle list. So is there no shuttle to PAX from this hotel? If so, anyone know any other ways to get around? (preferably cheap ways) I'm not familiar with Boston.

You can take the Silver Line on the T (MBTA) from the Airport to the World Trade Center station.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?route=SILVER

• SoulCoolSoulCool Registered User new member
    SoulCool wrote: »
    You can take the Silver Line on the T (MBTA) from the Airport to the World Trade Center station.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?route=SILVER
    Ah okay, thank you.

• psymastrpsymastr Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Hi, I have purchased a 3-Day pass and have received it in the mail. My friend who was on the fence about coming decided she wanted to come for Friday only. She has the confirmation, but we were wondering when is the earliest can she pick up the Friday badge at PAX, as well as how long the lines are usually (such as how long was last year's line) as we don't want to miss out on too much of the fun.

Thanks in advance! :D

psymastr on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Will Call will be open on Thursday from 8am to 8pm at the registration booth. Don't have an idea on how long the lines were.

• rchapoteaurchapoteau Registered User regular
    I'm glad you guys are having a shuttle between Anime Boston and Pax. I see the times and all, but I have no idea as to where to actually get the shuttle at, or what it looks like. Is there any info on this anywhere? The convention center is kind of big and I don't want to miss the shuttle because I can't find it.

• DannyNDannyN Registered User new member
    I purchased badges on March 16th and they haven't come. I've sent 3 emails in 6 days to the pax_questions@paxsite.com email address explaining that my badges aren't here, and I haven't heard anything. Will my badges be at will-call?

Yes, I am very slightly freaking out.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    DannyN wrote: »
    I purchased badges on March 16th and they haven't come. I've sent 3 emails in 6 days to the pax_questions@paxsite.com email address explaining that my badges aren't here, and I haven't heard anything. Will my badges be at will-call?

The mail cut off date was March 16th. They should be coming.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    DannyN wrote: »

Also, this: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22693027#Comment_22693027

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • wowitzmikewowitzmike Registered User new member
    Hey!~

I'm a street performer from Little Tokyo. What are the policies for busking/just playing music in general around PAX? I feel like people would really enjoy my act. I essentially have a colossal arsenal of video game music that I play on my trusty melodica. Here's a link for reference.

Would I be allowed to do this? This is my first time at a video game convention, and it's been my life-long dream to play at one of these.

wowitzmike wrote: »
    Hey!~

I'm a street performer from Little Tokyo. What are the policies for busking/just playing music in general around PAX? I feel like people would really enjoy my act. I essentially have a colossal arsenal of video game music that I play on my trusty melodica. Here's a link for reference.

Would I be allowed to do this? This is my first time at a video game convention, and it's been my life-long dream to play at one of these.

As long as your not collecting money, doing it on the grounds outside the BCEC /MIGHT/ be ok.

please don't take my word for it though and consider contacting pax_questions@paxsite.com for a firm answer.

• wowitzmikewowitzmike Registered User new member
    edited April 2012

I've sent a couple emails, but no reply yet. There would be an actual problem with playing music inside the convention center? I've seen videos of folks just busting out instruments and playing in the convention center from previous years. Just curious.

wowitzmike on
    SmallLady wrote: »
    As long as your not collecting money, doing it on the grounds outside the BCEC /MIGHT/ be ok.

please don't take my word for it though and consider contacting pax_questions@paxsite.com for a firm answer.

I've sent a couple emails, but no reply yet. There would be an actual problem with playing music inside the convention center? I've seen videos of folks just busting out instruments and playing in the convention center from previous years. Just curious.

you may be able to play inside JamSpace! It's a music free play room with a few scheduled concerts!

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/category/jam

Are things like multitools allowed in the the convention center? I keep a Leatherman Micra on my keychain (it's the size of a finger) and the scissors really come in handy.

CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    Are things like multitools allowed in the the convention center? I keep a Leatherman Micra on my keychain (it's the size of a finger) and the scissors really come in handy.

Probably a good idea to leave that at home or in your hotel room.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    As long as you're not using it in any way like a weapon or for other nefarious purpose, it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen hundreds at PAXes and no one gets hassled.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • rchapoteaurchapoteau Registered User regular

No response to my shuttle question above?

rchapoteau wrote: »
    I'm glad you guys are having a shuttle between Anime Boston and Pax. I see the times and all, but I have no idea as to where to actually get the shuttle at, or what it looks like. Is there any info on this anywhere? The convention center is kind of big and I don't want to miss the shuttle because I can't find it.

there will likely be signs at the BCEC. Likely on Level 0 on the east side with all the hotel shuttles.

However, you can always check in with Info Booth at the front of the building on Level 1

• CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    rchapoteau wrote: »

At the Hynes (which is where I assume Anime Boston is) the shuttle is most likely on Boylston St. at the Hynes exit. For the BCEC, it's most likely at the turn-around near the Valets, near the main entrance. Not saying I'm correct, just that those are the most likely spots IMO.

e2TtnRd.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    About the shuttles, do they stop just the hotel and BCEC or do they make multiple stops if you want to get off early or something like that?

• Paul10Paul10 Registered User new member
    As long as you're not using it in any way like a weapon or for other nefarious purpose, it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen hundreds at PAXes and no one gets hassled.

Maybe a follow up question to this is....Are you sent through a metal detector upon entry to the BCEC?

• Samurai_DomSamurai_Dom Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Hey guys,

Is there a way I can pick up my pass Thursday rather than Friday? And what are the times I can pick up my Pass?

Thank you!

Samurai_Dom on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Will Call will be open between noon and 5pm Thursday according to @official_pax

I'll be staying at the Westin and I was wondering if there was a safe or somewhere I could leave valuables as I do not want them stolen while I am sleeping.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be staying at the Westin and I was wondering if there was a safe or somewhere I could leave valuables as I do not want them stolen while I am sleeping.

Theres a safe in your room (I am too in the westin).

The front desk might be able to lock stuff up for you though.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    Paul10 wrote: »

Maybe a follow up question to this is....Are you sent through a metal detector upon entry to the BCEC?

Nope.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    About the shuttles, do they stop just the hotel and BCEC or do they make multiple stops if you want to get off early or something like that?

They go between the hotels and the BCEC and vice versa.

• StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    Sorry I thought id ask this here. Im staying at the Ramada Inn, I cant check in until 3 but im heading up to Pax around 9ish 10. Do you think the hotel would let me park there and take the hotel shuttle? I know last year the shuttle came to pick us up so we could check in. Any help/advice?

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Sorry I thought id ask this here. Im staying at the Ramada Inn, I cant check in until 3 but im heading up to Pax around 9ish 10. Do you think the hotel would let me park there and take the hotel shuttle? I know last year the shuttle came to pick us up so we could check in. Any help/advice?

I really doubt anyone is going to stop you from getting on the shuttle. If you want to feel extra secure, wear your badge and flash it before you get on. As for being able to park, well that depends on the hotel valet.