As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Resurgence MP DLC on the 10th; 6 chars, 3 guns, 2 maps. MARK SPOILERS!

• VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Uh, that's not how I read that part.
    I mean that part was vague enough to be interpreted any way you want (which is a fucking theme in that horrible ending), but the way I read his line is that he's telling the kid he'll get to go into space when he's older, rather than suggesting that they don't have space flight.

Yeah, looking at the lines I suppose that's equally possible.
    I just felt the "one day," and "what will be there?" combined with Buzz Aldrin sounded a lot more wistfully speculative than would fit for people with easy space travel like the Mass Effect universe is accustomed to, although maybe that's just a sign that they still don't have replacement relays however much later this is.

6 gigs of clarifying DLC!

Well apparently there's a script note on that part that someone found saying
    It's around 10k years on the future. The loss of the mass relays certainly threw everyone for a loop, but I doubt it would take more than 10,000 years for galactic civilization to be restored

I just finished last night and have had some time to sleep on it. It wasn't a bad ending necessarily. It was just an ending to a different game. And next to many of the other themes, it's weak.
    I actually expected that the mass relays would factor in since we found out that they were controlled by the Citadel and likely created by the Reapers back in the first game. I *expected* something along the lines of them being turned into weapons against the reapers and perhaps the Sol relay would be destroyed in the process or on purpose to delay.

TIM being indoctrinated was bad writing. We already did that in ME1. Only replace Geth with Cerberus.

Also, the green ending should have shown Shepard surviving with his .
    buds

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think Vancouver is supposed to be where Alliance HQ is located. It's not the capital of Earth.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    lu tze wrote: »
    The Systems Alliance has its parliament on Arcturus Station, which is through the Sol relay.
    Not anymore :P
    Details...
    Technically it's still there, just needs a decent panel beater and a lick of paint!

World's best janitor
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The Systems Alliance has its parliament on Arcturus Station, which is through the Sol relay.
    Not anymore :P
    Details...
    Technically it's still there, just needs a decent panel beater and a lick of paint!
    And 45,000 new people to man it :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    There's a new blog up with John Dombrow. There's nothing super interesting in there except one note that amuses me, but now you know the name of the guy who wrote Garrus, Javik, Tuchanka less Mordin, and the genophage arc for ME3.
    He's also where Salarian SPECTRE Jondum Bau got his name.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    John Dombrow wrote Padok Wiks

Patrick Weekes wrote Jondum Bau

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Agent PropagandiAgent Propagandi Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    John Dombrow wrote Padok Wiks

Patrick Weekes wrote Jondum Bau

Mind blown.

Steam | Origin: AgentProp | Website
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Uh, that's not how I read that part.
    I mean that part was vague enough to be interpreted any way you want (which is a fucking theme in that horrible ending), but the way I read his line is that he's telling the kid he'll get to go into space when he's older, rather than suggesting that they don't have space flight.

Yeah, looking at the lines I suppose that's equally possible.
    I just felt the "one day," and "what will be there?" combined with Buzz Aldrin sounded a lot more wistfully speculative than would fit for people with easy space travel like the Mass Effect universe is accustomed to, although maybe that's just a sign that they still don't have replacement relays however much later this is.

6 gigs of clarifying DLC!

Well apparently there's a script note on that part that someone found saying
    It's around 10k years on the future. The loss of the mass relays certainly threw everyone for a loop, but I doubt it would take more than 10,000 years for galactic civilization to be restored

I just finished last night and have had some time to sleep on it. It wasn't a bad ending necessarily. It was just an ending to a different game. And next to many of the other themes, it's weak.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. The ending to a different story.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    It wasn't a bad ending necessarily. It was just an ending to a different game.

This is exactly how I've been putting it to my friends who haven't played the game but heard about the ending.

steam_sig.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »

This is exactly how I've been putting it to my friends who haven't played the game but heard about the ending.

I wouldn't have blinked at that ending from a Final Fantasy game.

Of course, I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in like 10 years, so I would have been a little surprised to be playing one in the first place.

But the ending would've been fine.

Hey, wait. It's April now. We're supposed to know more about the ending DLC. They meant April 3rd, at the latest, right?

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »

This makes sense. Also, I wanted to reintroduce something Couscous brought up in the old thread.
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Story-and-Campaign-Discussion-Spoilers-Allowed/So-I-found-my-copy-of-the-Mass-Effect-3-Game-Informer-10927975-1.html
    “In Mass Effect 3, you know you need to take back Earth, but the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You won’t just find some long-lost Reaper “off” button; says Hudson”“Don’t expect to win the loyalty of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests,”

This is a text block entitled MASS EFFECT MEETS MULTIPLAYER?

“When the teaser for Mass Effect 3 first released, rumours were swirling that the project was actually a multiplayer title set in the Mass Effect universe. Those rumours turned out to be false, but it got many gamers thinking about how a multiplayer component would fit into the Mass Effect trilogy. Rest assured, the team has thought about this, too. “As a single-player experience, and just as a world that people want to immerse themselves in and share, we’ve been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with their friends,” says executive producer Casey Hudson. “We haven’t yet come up with a way to do that, so we don’t have anything to announce at this time. But, obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company.”

In a section called BEYOND THE TRILOGY:

“… part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving… I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”

Just expect to win the loyalty of most of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests.

Instead of an off button, we just get a more complicated off button that does different things depending on which button you press.

I remember this interview, and I expected a lot based on it... especially the whole "we want to be able to use this universe in the future" line. I really, really liked this universe. Sure the basic politics and premises were sort of loosely modeled after David Brin's Uplift series, but I haven't seen a new SF world this narratively satisfying and interesting forever. The fact that there is now no way to possibly make a non-prequel game that doesn't just "pick one ending as canon" is really frustrating.

I was prepared for them to make a bunch of similar endings so they could set a game like 200-1000 years later and have it make sense, but still contain the same group of races chilling out and being awesome, only with some societal evolution.

Now, they've made a bunch of roughly similar endings while also completely eliminating any chance of a coherent future world that resembles this universe I've found so interesting.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    remainaery.deviantart.com/#/d4ucoem
    I dunno if that's been posted yet, I found it cute.

Muzzmuzz on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    remainaery.deviantart.com/#/d4ucoem
    I dunno if that's been posted yet, I found it cute.

Oh my god, that is adorable. @Orca please add it to the archive for posterity!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so quick question about character build for DLC character for passive tree
    for fifth tier, Javik
    is it better to take weapon dmg for 20%
    or power dmg for 40%

I'm leaning toward power, but just wanted to check. since he will be firing his gun a lot more often :I

Egos on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I like to give squaddies, regardless of who they are, power buffs but I play the campaign on normal and don't count on them to actually shoot at guys whereas I do like to use their powers.

camo_sig2.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Power buff, power buff, power buff.

dN0T6ur.png
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Very, very close to finishing the game. How bad is the ending? I am fine with sad, bitter-sweet, or downright bitter endings. Is it just plain bad, or just a bummer? No spoilers, please.

steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I tend to ignore weapon damage effects since I think of my squadmates shooting enemies as magical bonus damage that I don't pay attention to, whereas when I use one of their powers I want the target to be dying with a quickness, so I went with power damage (on insanity). Also Dark Channel and cluster grenades are awesome.
    Machismo wrote: »
    Very, very close to finishing the game. How bad is the ending? I am fine with sad, bitter-sweet, or downright bitter endings. Is it just plain bad, or just a bummer? No spoilers, please.

Bewildering.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png

It is.... it can be good if you choose to believe some interpretations of it. There are two schools of thought about the ending: it is pants-on-head stupid, or it is
    some serious Fight Club bullshit
    . But no, taken at face value, it's just bad. It has bummer elements, but it is bad on its face. You'll be fine with it when you first see it. Over the course of the next hour, outrage will set in.

dN0T6ur.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Just enjoy it.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

You're going to see it anyway.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Good in concept, but with a poor execution.

As long as you're willing to extrapolate, you'll probably be fine.

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Salarians are the best. Jondum Bau, Kirrahe, Mordin.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.

As stated earlier in the thread, it's not a bad ending in itself, it just belongs with a different story, that's all. Mismatched. Also very confusing.

gjaustin wrote: »

Good in concept, but with a poor execution.

As long as you're willing to extrapolate, you'll probably be fine.
    Good. I don't need an epilogue of Tali: 10 years later or Liara 300 years later, etc. I just want some closure on the story.

Almost there...

steam_sig.png
    RandomEngy wrote: »

What about Padok Wiks? He is the best Salarian.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

The problem is that he's only available to terrible people who have committed a grave mistake.

• lodgerlodger Humble Narrator Registered User regular
    I promoted two characters during Raptor, but never received my prize pack. Anyone know what I can do?

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    So the data pad app for iPad, is it really as terribad as it seems? The news section is all just replies to twitter posts, and it wants me to retweet shit to see what the original question was? Or am I doing something wrong

Bobble wrote: »

The problem is that he's only available to terrible people who have committed a grave mistake.

Well I'm planning to import my first run of ME2, in which I did make some grave errors. But it feels like my "true" import in a way, since I didn't have a chance to meta game a perfect ending.

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    lodger wrote: »
    I promoted two characters during Raptor, but never received my prize pack. Anyone know what I can do?

You can wait until other people start getting them. Tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
    Wyborn wrote: »

It is.... it can be good if you choose to believe some interpretations of it. There are two schools of thought about the ending: it is pants-on-head stupid, or it is
    some serious Fight Club bullshit
    . But no, taken at face value, it's just bad. It has bummer elements, but it is bad on its face. You'll be fine with it when you first see it. Over the course of the next hour, outrage will set in.

The closest sci-fi comparison I can think of is below the fold:
    STvME.jpg

Dalantia wrote: »

Oh, I thought we were supposed to get them on Tuesday. I was concerned I hadn't gotten mine yet either. Thanks for the heads up.

Dalantia wrote: »

Oh, I thought we were supposed to get them on Tuesday. I was concerned I hadn't gotten mine yet either. Thanks for the heads up.

They stagger the releases. Some will get them today; the latest will be tomorrow.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So the data pad app for iPad, is it really as terribad as it seems? The news section is all just replies to twitter posts, and it wants me to retweet shit to see what the original question was? Or am I doing something wrong

No? Don't use the news section, it's worthless. The app is worth it for the mail section alone. Plus it's free, so...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Last time around, the prize packs started going out around 7 Central, so assume about that time is when you'll get the Victory pack.

Commendation Packs could be anywhere from immediately to tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular

Wait until they're handed out. If you don't have it by tomorrow night contact somebody on the Bioware social forums maybe?

camo_sig2.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Good. I don't need an epilogue of Tali: 10 years later or Liara 300 years later, etc. I just want some closure on the story.

Almost there...

Oh just go finish it.

We'll be here.

Waiting.

Maybe listening in on your conversations, finding things we can do to help that you don't expect.

... in a non-creepy way.

mostly non-creepy.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    @Dalantia

Thanks for the information; I also thought we got them at the end of the event.

No? Don't use the news section, it's worthless. The app is worth it for the mail section alone. Plus it's free, so...
    Agreed. The mail is kinda entertaining. Stays in character and keeps the tone. The galaxy at war is nice since you can boost your readiness, but it has its limits.

steam_sig.png