As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] 2007: II

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm just glad the Broncos are back in the ORANGE and blue.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Heh, that looks pretty cool.

NFL_2012_49ers_VaporJet2Glove_detail--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/

A 4 out of 50 on a multiple choice test. "student" athlete lol

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Heh, that looks pretty cool.
    NFL_2012_49ers_VaporJet2Glove_detail--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Can't wait for the inevitable 15 yard penalty for a celebration with the logo on the gloves.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

The Wonderlic is, by most accounts, pretty fucking stupid.

Not to defend an SEC school or anything.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    If I remember correctly the Wonderlic also had a ton of questions like "Are you more like a dog or a cat?".

Stuff to get an idea of personality, not intelligence. And you also get some short time limit to do it. Ryan Fitzpatrick did get a 50 though I think

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Does anyone understand why Ryan Tannehill is rocketing up draft boards? He, much like Blaine Gabbert, was really not that impressive in college (same conference too!). I continue to question whether NFL scouts actually watch college football or just go to workouts and get amazed by physical tools working against a vacuum.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Does anyone understand why Ryan Tannehill is rocketing up draft boards? He, much like Blaine Gabbert, was really not that impressive in college (same conference too!). I continue to question whether NFL scouts actually watch college football or just go to workouts and get amazed by physical tools working against a vacuum.

Dolphins and (to a lesser extent) Browns are desperate for a QB.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the Wonderlic also had a ton of questions like "Are you more like a dog or a cat?".

Stuff to get an idea of personality, not intelligence. And you also get some short time limit to do it. Ryan Fitzpatrick did get a 50 though I think
    The Wonderlic is a standard test for employers to evaluate potential hires. There are different versions of it that do incorporate questions like you describe, but I don't think the test they give the draft prospects contains stuff like that. For one thing, how would you score it? For another, it's up to the teams to interview these players and get to know them through other means. The idea behind the Wonderlic that draft prospects take is that they are usually given it after running a couple of miles to see how they think while physically exhausted.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I'm just glad the Broncos are back in the ORANGE and blue.

Not to knock the blue ones, I thought they looked pretty sharp. But Orange is best.

oh h*ck
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    r4dr3z wrote: »

The Wonderlic is a standard test for employers to evaluate potential hires. There are different versions of it that do incorporate questions like you describe, but I don't think the test they give the draft prospects contains stuff like that. For one thing, how would you score it? For another, it's up to the teams to interview these players and get to know them through other means. The idea behind the Wonderlic that draft prospects take is that they are usually given it after running a couple of miles to see how they think while physically exhausted.

Hmm. I thought I had taken a sample one on ESPN's Page 2 several years ago, and it had those kind of questions on it. But I'm starting to think those questions were in the Madden Create-A-Player mode where you took the Wonderlic before getting drafted

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    I think a lot of these low Wonderlic scores come down to the players just not caring about how they perform on these tests because they think that the outcomes won't effect their draft position one way or another. These tests also measure math skills that the athlete may not have used in five or six years.

I've been in college classes with high level SEC athletes, and while they weren't exactly Mensa candidates, they were obviously capable of handling the course material, and in some cases were very earnest about their education.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    of COURSE Bernard Pollard is cool with the saints bounty program

I don't think I've ever hated a football player as much as him

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82815e02/article/saints-bounty-penalties-irk-ravens-pollard?module=HP11_headline_stack

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82815e02/article/saints-bounty-penalties-irk-ravens-pollard?module=HP11_headline_stack

I thought you were a GB fan. When did you jump on NE's nuts?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    :lol:

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    An audio clip from Williams urging players to target specific players before the 49ers/Saints play-off game last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnn9kbqQUA

Started normally enough, then got kinda dark.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the 'he just told them to hit people hard and that's what players do!' defense goes out the window when you hear the guy actually promote taking out Crabtree's ACL.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Dude should be kicked out of the league for thinking that taking Crabtree out would hurt the Niners. He obviously never watched any tape to see that Crabtree isn't that good at gaining separation.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Or hitting Frank Gore in the head purposefully, or making sure to affect his head before the D gets off the pile.

That is really just uber-shitty. That audio makes me think Williams is a REALLY small/insecure man.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    There's rumors of Tebow getting put on special teams

nothing would redeem the Jets for me more than him ending up as a placekicker

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of these low Wonderlic scores come down to the players just not caring about how they perform on these tests because they think that the outcomes won't effect their draft position one way or another. These tests also measure math skills that the athlete may not have used in five or six years.

I've been in college classes with high level SEC athletes, and while they weren't exactly Mensa candidates, they were obviously capable of handling the course material, and in some cases were very earnest about their education.

I read somewhere that very high Wonderlic scores could be detrimental to draft position. Something to do with coaches don't feel comfortable with people that might now that they're smarter than the majority of the staff.

oh h*ck
    Rod (I think) Woodson was on Sportscenter saying he's heard 90% of what Williams said in pregame speeches from his own coaches. I'm not surprised by that - the Saints are the ones who got caught and deserve their punishment, but this is far more of a league-wide mindset than an individual organization and coaching staff's. Hopefully the smackdown that got laid on New Orleans makes other coaches decide to gameplan to outplay other teams, not injure them

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

I read somewhere that very high Wonderlic scores could be detrimental to draft position. Something to do with coaches don't feel comfortable with people that might now that they're smarter than the majority of the staff.

Kind of the same way I'd heard it, specifically about Myron Rolle (who won a Rhodes Scholarship). If a guy's that smart, he's got options other than football. Does he eat/sleep/live/breathe the game? Will he put the game ahead of his own well being, or will he start to think "maybe I should have gone to grad school" if the going gets tough? I think I remember Rolle getting some weird interview questions too.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

I thought you were a GB fan. When did you jump on NE's nuts?

Me? My dad worked right next door to the old foxboro stadium. I've been a pats fan as long as I can remember.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    09000d5d8281bfd6_gallery_600.jpg

s_jackson_120405_310.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

As someone who has been there, this is absolutely true. Even worse in college.

They all want athletes who are smart enough for complex tactical schemes, but dumb enough to never complain about when they don't work.

The last thing you want for team cohesiveness is your QB pointing out exactly how incompetent your OC is in front of the team on a daily basis and ignoring the play calls in the huddle.

edited April 2012

They all want athletes who are smart enough for complex tactical schemes, but dumb enough to never complain about when they don't work.

The last thing you want for team cohesiveness is your QB pointing out exactly how incompetent your OC is in front of the team on a daily basis and ignoring the play calls in the huddle.

And you never want marginal players to think they have an option other than football so you can force them to play through injuries, ruin their bodies and quality of life, and take minimal salaries while never complaining for fear of losing their jobs, then cut them if they finally get too hurt anyway

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    but maybe I'm being too cynical

C8Ft8GE.jpg

And you never want players who think they have an option other than football so you can force them to play through injuries, ruin their bodies and quality of life, and take minimal salaries while never complaining for fear of losing their jobs, then cut them if they finally get too hurt anyway

Pretty much.

In college, I was outright told by certain departments that I could choose Degree Plan X or I could play football, but not both.

Basically, if you're playing football in college, that's what you're there to do and little else. You can't work, you can't go out, you can't take certain substances (even if they're legal), you can't dictate your schedule, and you can't take the classes you want if there is a conflict.

I once had a game in Nebraska which was going to take me away from my Calculus mid-term, and my teacher told me my options were to either take the test a week early (before all the material had been covered) or miss the test and likely fail the class. She wouldn't schedule any time for me to take it otherwise.

I also had a professor fail me from a pointless Philosophy class because I went to the banquet to receive my Conference Champion ring and awards.

Sports fucks over college kids at just about every angle, and if you don't go to the next level? Welp, hope you learned something. Somehow.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    That's what always galls me about the "Well they are getting a free college education" argument when it comes to not playing College Players.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited April 2012
    That's what always galls me about the "Well they are getting a free college education" argument when it comes to not playing College Players.

It's something I've always struggled with.

PROS:
    - Lots of kids get scholarships that otherwise would have little or no chance at ever going to college. LOTS of kids.

CONS:
    - The students' range of educational opportunity is restricted drastically
    - They work basically 40 hours a week or more during the season for no pay while the university makes a lot of money
    - They basically subsidize the athletics programs of the rest of the school
    - Injured athletes often leave the program and fail to graduate
    - Major schools have embarrassingly low graduation rates for their student-athletes
    - Most student-athletes are poor students and study programs explicitly designed to keep them in school
    - Job placement for the common degree plans for S-As is minimal, typically demands further education, and is generally low-paid

Atomika on
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7807571/denver-broncos-demaryius-thomas-miss-tim-tebow

looks like the other Broncos didn't all love Tebow as much as they let on

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    That's ugly as hell, but pretty awesome. I have a soft spot for throwback jerseys, no matter how ugly they may be.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeesh, those are awful

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Eagles are shopping Asante Samual. I'd probably give up a first rounder and something else for him.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Eagles are shopping Asante Samual. I'd probably give up a first rounder and something else for him.

I'm guessing he can and will be had for a lot less than a 1st. Some guy on ESPN is guessing as low as a 4th or 5th rounder. Seems like he's not as highly regarded as he used to be.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular

Theres no way they get a first for Asante, just no way. Not even sure who's in the market for a CB right now anyways. They'd have a better market after the draft from the teams who wanted a CB and didn't get one.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
This discussion has been closed.