As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forming a More Perfect Union

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    That I can mostly agree with Jasconius.

I think the tax rate on the richest individual brackets is way too low (lowest since 1925), but corporate taxes are another clusterfuck that needs dealt with.

BLURGH YOU HATE BUSINESS YOU HATE AMERICAN JOBS HURGHLEBARGHLE DON'T TAX THE CORPORATIONS THEY'RE PEOPLE TOOOO *pisses everywhere*

• WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Nationalise the rich.

XStly.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

sit back and actually think and research issues other than talking to your fucking lit 1 professor and vomiting back teenage marxist rhetoric please

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Even Boehner has been caught on record as being against oil subsidies, before he got taken behind the shed and beaten by men wearing BP Oil caps.

Republicans know this is a real problem. Ironically it's the tea party that's going to push the whole party to at least be able to make utterances against corporate subsidies in broad daylight.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    eat the rich

i heard they taste good with some salsa

i'm running on a platform of "cannibalism yo" in 2016

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

sit back and actually think and research issues other than talking to your fucking lit 1 professor and vomiting back teenage marxist rhetoric please

i don't even go to college, dude, i just fucking hate rich people.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

I think the tax rate on the richest individual brackets is way too low (lowest since 1925), but corporate taxes are another clusterfuck that needs dealt with.

BLURGH YOU HATE BUSINESS YOU HATE AMERICAN JOBS HURGHLEBARGHLE DON'T TAX THE CORPORATIONS THEY'RE PEOPLE TOOOO *pisses everywhere*

I DEMAND INFRASTRUCTURE, PROTECTIONS UNDER LAW FOR PATENTS AND TRADE SECRETS, AND PHYSICAL PROTECTION IN THE FORM OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY.

Wait...taxes? Fuck that noise. Do you hate capitalism or something.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    in my experience the only people who are in favor of not taxing the rich more are people with rich families or people deluded enough to think they, one day, will be rich (most americans)

like once i tried to explain why i think we need more significant estate taxes and the only argument i could heard in favor of no estate tax was "but then my parents would give me less money"

Then you need to find more people to have more intelligent conversations with. Though I personally don't have a problem with estate taxes there are perfectly logical arguments to be made against them.

The only argument needed to be pro estate taxes is Paris Hilton.

There's no reason she should benefit in any way at all in life, especially if it's only because of a cosmic coincidence she was born into that family.

Paris Hilton is exactly why I don't have a problem with estate taxes conceptually and I feel the estate taxes on the super rich should be far higher than they are. The "whoever dies with the most net worth wins" thing we seem to have in this world pisses me off to no end. Yes you are welcome to make as much money as you want but fucking spend it on shit! Buy a gold yacht with a diamond toilet or whatever. At least someone is being paid to design, build, and maintain that shit for you.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    boo hoo, my vast sums of wealth, boo ho

reposig.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

edited April 2012

In 1925 there were so many deductions available the richest individuals weren't even paying taxes in the end. You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop spitting out talking points and actually spend some time researching taxation and it's history.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Jasconius wrote: »
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

of course, watching my family of four try to subsist on 24,000 dollars a year all growing up, being unable to afford a decent education, watching the wealthy kids in class get heaped with accolades they didn't deserve because their daddy's one of the good old boys...

y'know, none of that could've had anything to do with it.

yes the wealthy are not people because....

hey man i never said that

they're just usually bad people

reposig.jpg

true. statement.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Maximum wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I love the argument 'well if you have to pay more, why would anyone want to try and be rich?'

cause you'd still be rich, dummy

My dumbshit mother turned down a promotion at her work. Why?, I asked.

"Because it would just put me in a higher tax bracket"...seriously?

Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

Long story short, I am surrounded by idiots.

yo, in these situations where you are on the cusp of an income bracket, it is actually possible to make less money after taxes by taking a raise

plz to be learning about taxes tia

yeah, while I don't have the deets on your mineral rights thing, moving into a different bracket, but only barely, can certainly negatively impact your income to the point where you would be better off making less.

Langly on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

because they bought themselves robot bodies!

ikbUJdU.jpg
    true fact: i can't find the robot bodies stuff from sealab anywhere on youtube

reposig.jpg
    Her dumbshit boyfriend is refusing to sell his mineral rights in West Virginia because he'd have to pay taxes on them, leaving him only a couple hundred dollars in profit and he's fucking unemployed.

You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

of course, watching my family of four try to subsist on 24,000 dollars a year all growing up, being unable to afford a decent education, watching the wealthy kids in class get heaped with accolades they didn't deserve because their daddy's one of the good old boys...

so you're bitter and have no actual argument other than that?

cool

perhaps instead of blaming the wealthy for being successful, you could instead blame society for not restructuring our social safety net plans

cite plz

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Corporations are people too -Mitt Romney

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator

true. statement.

no, it really isn't.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    sometimes wealthy people are good people

like my great-uncle's family, they give a ton of money to charity and have really helped out my family in the past

I realize not all wealthy people are like that, but it's not productive at all to paint everybody making over 100,000 a year as The Enemy

metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

cool

perhaps instead of blaming the wealthy for being successful, you could instead blame society for not restructuring our social safety net plans

cite plz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History

emot-smug.gif

reposig.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Guys here's how we help poor people

Let's bankrupt social security in a couple decades by defaulting on the 2 trillion in bonds it holds because we can't afford to pay them out

DONT YOU SEE

it's BRILLIANT

the poor people will appreciate that we obscured the demise of their safety net with clever accounting, rather than act to solve the problem ahead of time

it works on so many levels

This is a ridiculously disingenuous post to make after looking at a pie chart of cuts to healthcare, food stamps, and social services and saying, "lol Pell grants? Nobody is getting hurt."

sometimes wealthy people are good people

like my great-uncle's family, they give a ton of money to charity and have really helped out my family in the past

I realize not all wealthy people are like that, but it's not productive at all to paint everybody making over 100,000 a year as The Enemy

i guess i should point out i'm referring to the fabulously wealthy, ie multimillionaires, not just people in the upper income bracket

reposig.jpg

You may be right and he may be an idiot but there are a lot of good reasons not to sell your mineral rights.

for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

cool

cite plz

Mr_Burns_evil.gif

• WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I love the argument 'well if you have to pay more, why would anyone want to try and be rich?'

cause you'd still be rich, dummy

My dumbshit mother turned down a promotion at her work. Why?, I asked.

"Because it would just put me in a higher tax bracket"...seriously?

Long story short, I am surrounded by idiots.

yo, in these situations where you are on the cusp of an income bracket, it is actually possible to make less money after taxes by taking a raise

plz to be learning about taxes tia

yeah, while I don't have the deets on your mineral rights thing, moving into a different bracket, but only barely, can certainly negatively impact your income to the point where you would be better off making less.

Your tax system must be stupid as hell if this is true. Do you not have marginal taxing or something?

XStly.jpg
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

cool

cite plz

emot-smug.gif

I'm fairly certain I could find a whole lot more shitty poor people by volume

kill the poor and the wealthy

only emergent trader middle class yeomans survive

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

We were still suffering from a recession from 2000 to 2003 that started on Clinton's watch. You're pretty smug for someone with a tenuous grasp of economics.

Yes the recession had an effect, which I should have accounted for. Amend that sentence to "The 2001 Bush tax cuts did not produce record tax revenues."

The 2nd round of tax cuts Bush put through synchronized with the housing boom. There's CBO data I will go through later tonight, suffice to say I think your claim of the cuts being the cause of "record tax revenues" lacking.

And you seem rather assertive for someone who doesn't cite their claims.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    edited April 2012

for instance, precious metal prices have continuously been skyrocketing

Also they keep finding more oil in that region of the US. If someone is offering money for your mineral right its probably because they think they're worth something long-term.

Butters on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    in my experience the only people who are in favor of not taxing the rich more are people with rich families or people deluded enough to think they, one day, will be rich (most americans)

like once i tried to explain why i think we need more significant estate taxes and the only argument i could heard in favor of no estate tax was "but then my parents would give me less money"

Then you need to find more people to have more intelligent conversations with. Though I personally don't have a problem with estate taxes there are perfectly logical arguments to be made against them.

There's no reason she should benefit in any way at all in life, especially if it's only because of a cosmic coincidence she was born into that family.

Paris Hilton is exactly why I don't have a problem with estate taxes conceptually and I feel the estate taxes on the super rich should be far higher than they are. The "whoever dies with the most net worth wins" thing we seem to have in this world pisses me off to no end. Yes you are welcome to make as much money as you want but fucking spend it on shit! Buy a gold yacht with a diamond toilet or whatever. At least someone is being paid to design, build, and maintain that shit for you.

1253921210-richie-rich-65a.jpg

as a paleo-anarchist the only answer is to convert to dinosaurs or be killed

reposig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

cool

cite plz

I don't blame the wealthy for their successes, bro, this isn't about jealousy or resentment. it's about people who, given the option, would hunt the fucking poor for sport having all the fucking power in this country while good, decent people like my parents, smart and talented people, had to be on fucking food stamps for half their adult lives. wealthy people generally get that way by exploiting those beneath them, socially and economically, or by virtue of having the good luck to be born into money.

Class warfare DOES exist, and the wealthy have been waging it successfully for hundreds of years.

Metzger Meister on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

Diamond toilet paper would destroy your asshole something fierce.

Just saying.

lol access to higher education what a crock of shit how have we not cut that program already

as a paleo-anarchist the only answer is to convert to dinosaurs or be killed

you know what game owned?

E.V.O.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I just want to be wealthy enough to have one of those fancy japanese toilets with the heated seat and the asshole hose

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    metz

seriously

you constantly do this

just

stop

awesome

cool

cite plz

emot-smug.gif

I'm fairly certain I could find a whole lot more shitty poor people by volume

kill the poor and the wealthy

only emergent trader middle class yeomans survive

why stop there

kill everyone

This discussion has been closed.