As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] 1st Annual PAX Cigar Smoker: The Cult of the Leaf - Friday night at 2 AM!

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    So I need to pick some cigars up locally (for other gatherings, as well as possibly attending this) can anyone suggest a good cigar store in Boston? Close to the BCEC preferred but I am there as of this Friday so having to transit around a bit isn't a problem.

I actually have a related question - this place sounds awesome, is it worth checking out before/after PAX?

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    First I have heard of them. Heck, I may even have to check them out! My go to shop is LJ Peretti. It is by Boston Common and is a T ride away. This shop has tons of hard to find as well as tons of Fuente products. Please be advised MA does have a super high tobacco/sin tax so be prepared for some sticker shock! Another shop close to LJ is a shop called Gloucester St cigar. This shop has mixed reviews but I have never, ever has bad service there. I can tell you selection can be very hit or miss, but they do specialize in Tatuaje products. I hope this info helps someone and if you have more specific questions please let me know!

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I went to Gloucester St Cigar today and picked up some things. The guy there was very helpful and offered me some decent suggestions.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    So 2 AM is kinda late for my old, decrepit blood. However, if I find myself awake in the middle of the night and without my walker, I'll try to join up. I couldn't find a Fedora, so I'll have my Fez. They both start with 'F'!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    So 2 AM is kinda late for my old, decrepit blood. However, if I find myself awake in the middle of the night and without my walker, I'll try to join up. I couldn't find a Fedora, so I'll have my Fez. They both start with 'F'!

Haha, well if we don't see you, we'll miss you. Remember, this will start immediately after the concerts, so if you're out for the concerts, you should be able to stop by without too much trouble. But I do understand, I know that last year I was incredibly tired by Sunday (of course, last year we did lose an hour Saturday night).

On the weather front, it looks like it'll be a little chilly, but we should be clear on rain (which is good, because the earliest reports were rather less encouraging). The official call will be made on Tuesday, but it's looking like we'll be on for Friday night.

I opened my humidor today, and was shocked to discover I'm down to my last cigar from the box I had for my birthday in January (Santa Damiana, a nice light cigar which we paired with Champagne for my party). So I'll be picking up a few tomorrow, and I'll let you all know what I end up with.

• Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    FYI I haunt 2 of the local cigar bars here in Boston. I see no reason to 'call ahead' aside from making sure they are not already full. However the way to reserve space is to have solid info when calling (do NOT waste your time with email you won't get a reply odds are). Call, ask to speak with a manager (Do NOT waste time with workers even to relay a message) and say to the manager 'I have a group of X from a local convention who would like to partake in some cigars and drinks on y day and will be there at z time, can we reserve some space?'. Worst thing you can do is call and sound as if things are up in the air. "well.. I am not sure how many will show up.. I think 12 but maybe as few as 5".. etc.. I would suggest if looking for most room and best price Cigar Masters in the back bay near Coply sqr. If there is anything else I can do to help let me know.

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
    I went to Gloucester St Cigar today and picked up some things. The guy there was very helpful and offered me some decent suggestions.

I am glad they treated you right! I avoided them for a long time based on hearing they were snobish but after I actually went in, I found out I could not have been more wrong.

JayDfromMA wrote: »

I am glad they treated you right! I avoided them for a long time based on hearing they were snobish but after I actually went in, I found out I could not have been more wrong.

Yeah the guy was pretty friendly and we sat and BS'ed with him for a few. If I didn't have a place to be I would have lit up one in there and hung out for a while. Plus I tried one of their house brand cigars and they are very good :D

edited April 2012
    Oops, double post. Stupid iPad

BigRed on
  • TechnoShamanTechnoShaman Shaman ZpocalypseRegistered User regular
    Used to work for cigarsinternational. Still got some stogies from working there. How does PAX handle the smokers crowd?

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Used to work for cigarsinternational. Still got some stogies from working there. How does PAX handle the smokers crowd?

No smoking period within the building or within 100 (Might be 30 or 50, but I think 100) feet of door (I believe).

It's basically generic mass law for any publicish anything.

But otherwise, you know, be respectful and no one's going to give you shit. :)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Is there a convenience store near the center that sells Colts and Backwood cigars?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Kiashien: I don't see anything about smoking being banned near entrances, got a reference? The only thing Google turns up is some Boston universities (e.g., Harvard), ban smoking within 25 feet of entrances to buildings, which seems to imply if Boston imposes a radius, it's less than 25 feet.

Payne: didn't you work something out with avsfan? If not, I'd just bring your own from Canada. We have a free trade agreement, there shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, looks like the tobacco shops are all downtown, across the river. You could always try something new, it sounds like several people are bringing stuff to share.

• kaine23kaine23 NJRegistered User regular
    May be interested in coming and finally trying a real cigar or pipe.

• Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    Kiashien: I don't see anything about smoking being banned near entrances, got a reference? The only thing Google turns up is some Boston universities (e.g., Harvard), ban smoking within 25 feet of entrances to buildings, which seems to imply if Boston imposes a radius, it's less than 25 feet.

Payne: didn't you work something out with avsfan? If not, I'd just bring your own from Canada. We have a free trade agreement, there shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, looks like the tobacco shops are all downtown, across the river. You could always try something new, it sounds like several people are bringing stuff to share.

There are no laws that pertain to distance from entrances in MA. This doesn't mean private property cannot dictate whether or not smoking is allowed. Many hospital and schools go with at least 25 ft from entrances but that is about it.

adastra wrote: »
    So I need to pick some cigars up locally (for other gatherings, as well as possibly attending this) can anyone suggest a good cigar store in Boston? Close to the BCEC preferred but I am there as of this Friday so having to transit around a bit isn't a problem.

I actually have a related question - this place sounds awesome, is it worth checking out before/after PAX?

If you like cigars or/and pipes its a very cool store with a wide selection.

-Harlequin
    kaine23 wrote: »
    May be interested in coming and finally trying a real cigar or pipe.

Awesome, hope you do. My shopping yesterday yielded a Partagas Black Label, Nestor Miranda Maduro Box Press (never tried it before, so this is probably what I'll be smoking), Rocky Patel Sun Grown, and Casa Magna Oscuro. Plus I still have one of the aforementioned Santa Damianas from my birthday a few months back. I'm planning on rolling in with two friends, so after providing for them, I expect to have two additional cigars to share.

I just updated the lead post with the official date/time: Friday night/Saturday morning at 2 AM, immediately after the concerts. Weather both days seems pretty much identical, and while it'll be a little chilly, there is not expected to be any precipitation, so not bad all things considered.

• LucaLaSmokeLucaLaSmoke GM "Gamers With Kids 2012" Astoria Queens, New YorkRegistered User regular
    Wow super cool, are Dutches and or Philly cigars acceptable...?

• alfalfadudealfalfadude ohioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll have to see how things pan out, but I'd really like to attend this.

Also: I was wondering if anybody was able to help me out and lemme know what the prices for chewing tobacco run there in general? I tried googling it, but couldn't really find much of anything!

alfalfadude on
    Wow super cool, are Dutches and or Philly cigars acceptable...?

Of course, all forms of tobacco are allowed and encouraged!

Also: I was wondering if anybody was able to help me out and lemme know what the prices for chewing tobacco run there in general? I tried googling it, but couldn't really find much of anything!

In Boston Skoal will run you about 7 bucks.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular

If you live in a state with no crazy tobacco taxes you are better of packing as much as you can there. Mass is pretty expensive on tobacco related products, although cigars are left out of some of the higher taxes (cigarettes, as usual, get the highest taxes). The difference on a box of quality cigars between Mass and NH can be $25-30 I've found.

• alfalfadudealfalfadude ohioRegistered User regular
    GhostDan wrote: »

If you live in a state with no crazy tobacco taxes you are better of packing as much as you can there. Mass is pretty expensive on tobacco related products, although cigars are left out of some of the higher taxes (cigarettes, as usual, get the highest taxes). The difference on a box of quality cigars between Mass and NH can be $25-30 I've found.

ah alrighty, i just didn't know if chew was going to be $3+ or not for some grizzly haha. but i'll stock up before i go!

i could not agree more. Insane tobacco and sin tax in this state!

• kaine23kaine23 NJRegistered User regular
    Now this is first day of pax east Friday 2am right? Any luck maybe i can run into one of y'all during the weekend of a smoke break too if I end up not being able to get there.

kaine23 wrote: »
    Now this is first day of pax east Friday 2am right? Any luck maybe i can run into one of y'all during the weekend of a smoke break too if I end up not being able to get there.

Correct, at the end of the first day (i.e., after the first night of concerts).

All puritans. At least it's slowly getting better. Stores can be open on Sundays, and as of I think 2004 Liquor stores can open on Sundays now as well, as can car dealerships.

Still can't hunt on sundays,

Still glad I jumped the border to NH.

GhostDan wrote: »

All puritans. At least it's slowly getting better. Stores can be open on Sundays, and as of I think 2004 Liquor stores can open on Sundays now as well, as can car dealerships.

Still can't hunt on sundays,

Still glad I jumped the border to NH.

There are still some puritan laws on the books even though they ceased to exist due to the potato famine that hit Ireland.

As for hunting.. thing called super markets now. No need to shoot defenseless animals for food anymore. Just saying.

-Harlequin
    Kiashien wrote: »

No smoking period within the building or within 100 (Might be 30 or 50, but I think 100) feet of door (I believe).

Took awhile to find a reference.

Basically, buried in the legalese, if the smoke can get back into the entrance it's illegal, but they fine the business, not you. It's not a specific distance- which must be why I've seen all sorts of different numbers, and it apparently is influenced by whether windows that open are nearby, etc, and you can get permits or special kinds of doors to prevent airflow or something. Basically, it's crazy complicated and vague.

Hospitals and the MBTA get special laws applied to them- you can't smoke within 25 feet of a hospital at all, regardless of where the entrances are. Something to do with vents, I don't remember the details.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter270/Section22

The spot you picked for the social is way off from any entrances, so it's irrelevant.

There's laws still being processed to restrict smoking near entrances with better wording, but they're not law yet- mostly because they're overly draconian at the moment.

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    As it turns out Backwoods are not legal in the US. So I will be forced to whatever I can find at the meetup. I will be bringing a bit of extra cash and look forward to tasting some flavoured cigarillos/cigars if anyone would be willing to trade.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    As it turns out Backwoods are not legal in the US. So I will be forced to whatever I can find at the meetup. I will be bringing a bit of extra cash and look forward to tasting some flavoured cigarillos/cigars if anyone would be willing to trade.

Uhh.. aren't they made in the us?

Uhh.. aren't they made in the us?

And this looks purchasable here.. heck I've seen them before I think.. maybe you mean a different backwoods?

http://www.backwoodscigars.us/

If they are the backwoods I see around Boston area so often then they are definitely allowed here. I also noted that the berry kind was mentioned which makes me believe they are the ones I see.

However Payne I'll have an extra ACID morado maduro for you.

• gerafingerafin Registered User regular

Took awhile to find a reference.

Basically, buried in the legalese, if the smoke can get back into the entrance it's illegal, but they fine the business, not you. It's not a specific distance- which must be why I've seen all sorts of different numbers, and it apparently is influenced by whether windows that open are nearby, etc, and you can get permits or special kinds of doors to prevent airflow or something. Basically, it's crazy complicated and vague.

Hospitals and the MBTA get special laws applied to them- you can't smoke within 25 feet of a hospital at all, regardless of where the entrances are. Something to do with vents, I don't remember the details.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter270/Section22

The spot you picked for the social is way off from any entrances, so it's irrelevant.

There's laws still being processed to restrict smoking near entrances with better wording, but they're not law yet- mostly because they're overly draconian at the moment.

The doors to the walkway around the building have a sealed off entryway IIRC (inner & outer door, with glass entryway in between). I think this is very specifically meant to not let smoke in, as the BCEC has ashtrays a mere 10 feet or so from the outer door. Plenty of smokers outside any door, at any time during PAX.

I imagine they're the same. The ones I bought today just had a large 'NOT FOR SALE IN THE US' on the package. I'll try to bring them over, worst comes to worst I'll just toss 'em out as they're like 8 bucks.

• BarkBark Registered User regular
    Wow. I just stumbled on this thread. I will grab a few on my way from CT and be there! What a great idea! Thanks for putting this together.

sl1ao1t19fl8.png
    I imagine they're the same. The ones I bought today just had a large 'NOT FOR SALE IN THE US' on the package. I'll try to bring them over, worst comes to worst I'll just toss 'em out as they're like 8 bucks.

It's probably more a tax thing (i.e., "we paid Canadian taxes on this box, so don't try to sell it in the US") issue, rather than a not-being-legal-in-the-US thing. Again, as long as it's not Cuban (which it's obviously not), small amounts for personal use should be fine.

In other news, here's an updated pic of the spot we'll be meeting, right under the PAX sign!

It's probably more a tax thing (i.e., "we paid Canadian taxes on this box, so don't try to sell it in the US") issue, rather than a not-being-legal-in-the-US thing. Again, as long as it's not Cuban (which it's obviously not), small amounts for personal use should be fine.

In other news, here's an updated pic of the spot we'll be meeting, right under the PAX sign!

Dawww, I always like the "welcome home" stuff they put out for PAX.

• avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    [

Same here bought a pack of phillies blunts with the same sticker.

Excellent. Hard to miss, especially important at 2am.