As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SANDBOX ON] Second Life

KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
THE FIRST RULE OF SECOND LIFE IS TO NOT DISCUSS THE HORRIBLE SHIT IN SECOND LIFE

Second Life

What is Second Life?
Second Life is a 3D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents. In Second Life, you can essentially build whatever you can think of. There are plenty of ingame tutorials dedicated to helping newbies learn the ropes. For instance, the original Penny Arcade store we had in-game had a Fruit Fucker fountain, expelling its juice down upon visitors.

Will I have to pay a monthly fee?
Only if you choose do. You start with a free account. If you choose to upgrade, you will then be moved into the pay to play area, where you now have access to buying/selling land to sell your creations. You can, if you choose, to bum around like me for free (bumming in SL since 2002!)

Is there a Penny Arcade group?
Yes and no. The group still exists, but most people in it have moved on to other groups. The Fancy Lads, another group, were created for the sole purpose of touring the SL landscape, in tuxedos, monocles and tophats, experiencing the world while speaking in quazi-Victorian English. FL is still around as well, and once again, mostly dead, but I have a leadership position in it, so therefore can invite people, unlike the base PA group. If one of the PA group's leaders shows up in this thread, then they can most certainly invite you.

Will you show any screens of the game?
No, because I don't think I could do the game any justice in just a couple of screens, seeing how there is a wide variety of landscapes that have been created. The game is essentially the internet, in 3D. Plus, all my screenshots in Photobucket seem to have gone missing. I could've posted a pic of Orikae in his huge pink sombrero, but alas.

If you want access into the Fancy Lads, contact Dedagn Bismark, or if I'm not online, just leave your name here.
Contact Tren Neva for access into the PA Forum group.

The List
KingMole - Dedagn Bismark
Neva - Tren Neva
Echo - Mien Shirakawa
omega71 - Omega Otsuzum
Lucky Cynic - Kyder Ling
DnvnQuinn - Rowland Graves
Vic - Neil Pegler
Nimble Cat - NimbleCat Hax
Dangerous - Strumpot Hoorenbeek
InfernalTrout - Waffle Snook
KupotheAvenger - Quincy Watanabe
Dr. Phibbs McAthey - Phibbs Newchurch
Local H Jay - Hungry Slade
AaronKI - Pelton Swindlehurst
WyndhamPrice - Wyndham Rosca
Mr_Rose - Project Hammerer
Lord Jezo - Jezo Potato
Mugenmidget - Mugenmidget Woodget
nazlan - Natalie Paderborn
Monni - Monni Mannonen
UnderHero5 - Under Prunes
Frosted Butts - Hypno Control
darleysam - Stabalot Dagger
Nackmatholn - Nackma Tenk
SmellsLike - Juntor Hicks
Knightsword - Jaina Fugazi
YesNoMu - Yesnomu Jya

doomrider_sigPA.png
KingMole on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sweet. Tell me though, do things like the fountain vanish after a while or what? Or is the fruit fucker still dispensing his delicious juice on unsuspecting passers-by somewhere?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, the sim it was on was bought out by someone, so we were told to pack up and move on. We went to some other sim to hang out for awhile, then another sim, around about the time I stopped playing again. I don't think the FFF was ever put down at the last sim, in its place was the Shrine of Gordimer, and some giant hairy spider on top of a Warner Brothers-like tower, which was drinking tea and had a tophat.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Sweet. Tell me though, do things like the fountain vanish after a while or what? Or is the fruit fucker still dispensing his delicious juice on unsuspecting passers-by somewhere?

I think I might of saved him in my inventory somewhere, but no, he isn't in his old home. Basically the sim they changed over time, and is just being rented out to other things for profit and such.

A lot of things in SL has changed since them, such as being able to sculpt prims {somewhat complex without prior 3d modeling experience}, as well as a new lighting system that can be downloaded {it's called First Look I believe. Probably have to have a decent comp, and is still in its beta stages}.

Recent pictures!
    185383.jpg

185387.jpg

185390.jpg

185407.jpg

177349.jpg

177304.jpg

I love this bunny suit. IM Tren Neva if ya want most picture of the suit and its exploits.

94657.jpg

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited July 2007
    Well the pictures showed up correctly when I previewed the post! Phooey.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited July 2007
    Also IM Tren Neva for membership into the PA Forum group.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played second life once, it was a morbid curiosity that me and two other friends decided to sate one night.

We created our characters, discreetly opting to choose normal human avatars rather than the pre-made starfox character archetypes.

After flying around for a bit and strapping two-by-fours to our foreheads we ended up in a place I can only describe as some kind of yiff furry kingdom. There were these two giant carebear statues thrusting out of the waterfront that were apparently in mid-coitus or something, and upon closer inspection (and to our great horror), they were anatomically correct.

After some more flying we found an underwater bar/lounge type area with a few people in it splayed out on some strange bondage type furniture talking about relationships or some shit, one of which purported to be some kind of transsexual doppelganger who changed the sex of his avatar to match his mood while cybering, or something. I think I blocked most of that area out of my memory.

We flew around some more in furry kingdom and found some kind of dance club. There were poles with animation nodes on them that made your character start, surprise, poledancing erotically. One of my friends had made his character a shirtless, obese black man with a giant afro and summarily took it upon himself to demonstrate for everyone in the club his dancing skills on said poll. The furries were apparently disgusted become some kind of Yiff Lord appeared out of nowhere and jettisoned him from their zone for being inappropriate.

The Yiff Lord then put on an item which apparently turned him into a fierce, bipedal dragon with a massive smoldering lava-cock and started dancing with his patrons.

There was also some kind of bisexual fox-man thing in leather straps laying out on a couch in the club that was soliciting people for cybering to make his linden dollars, or rather he was asking if anyone could afford his luxuriant services, as he was apparently a very skilled cyber fox and commanded top dollar. I don't even know.

I swear I didn't make any of that up. This game is terrifying.

Scosglen on
    edited July 2007
    You know, when I say its the internet in 3D, I'm not kidding.

Anything you can find on the internet, you can find in Second Life. And what better way to go about it than with the Fancy Lads, all pip-pipping and cheerio-ing.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What is the graphical constraints/advantages? Will this take advatantage of a nice graphics card?

Viscountalpha on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I played second life once, it was a morbid curiosity that me and two other friends decided to sate one night.

We created our characters, discreetly opting to choose normal human avatars rather than the pre-made starfox character archetypes.

After flying around for a bit and strapping two-by-fours to our foreheads we ended up in a place I can only describe as some kind of yiff furry kingdom. There were these two giant carebear statues thrusting out of the waterfront that were apparently in mid-coitus or something, and upon closer inspection (and to our great horror), they were anatomically correct.

After some more flying we found an underwater bar/lounge type area with a few people in it splayed out on some strange bondage type furniture talking about relationships or some shit, one of which purported to be some kind of transsexual doppelganger who changed the sex of his avatar to match his mood while cybering, or something. I think I blocked most of that area out of my memory.

We flew around some more in furry kingdom and found some kind of dance club. There were poles with animation nodes on them that made your character start, surprise, poledancing erotically. One of my friends had made his character a shirtless, obese black man with a giant afro and summarily took it upon himself to demonstrate for everyone in the club his dancing skills on said poll. The furries were apparently disgusted become some kind of Yiff Lord appeared out of nowhere and jettisoned him from their zone for being inappropriate.

The Yiff Lord then put on an item which apparently turned him into a fierce, bipedal dragon with a massive smoldering lava-cock and started dancing with his patrons.

There was also some kind of bisexual fox-man thing in leather straps laying out on a couch in the club that was soliciting people for cybering to make his linden dollars, or rather he was asking if anyone could afford his luxuriant services, as he was apparently a very skilled cyber fox and commanded top dollar. I don't even know.

I swear I didn't make any of that up. This game is terrifying.
    God damn but you do make it sound like fun...*

"This game is terrifying."
    Just like real life then? Quick, somebody Tell Linden the Experiment is a total success!

*not the yiffy bits (no fur-tars for me thank-you) but the fact that such a monstrosity is even possible is awesome. I totally have to build myself a private island volcano base and threaten to blow up random Islands unless people give me L$1,000,000,000.00 now...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What is the graphical constraints/advantages? Will this take advatantage of a nice graphics card?

Visually, the game looks like dog shit and is so stuffed to the gills on every square foot of land with user-generated crap that it will make any machine beg for mercy.

Scosglen on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How can you have a game on for something that's not really a game? :?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited July 2007
    What is it then, if it isn't a game?

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited July 2007
    A graphical representation of the Internet/Myspace/whatever mixed a bit with the Sims/Ass.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited July 2007

The game was released in 2003, and is nowhere near the high end of graphic requirement.

However, many people like to pack a sim with as many things as possible, so its really just dependent upon what you set your draw distance to, and how much detail you want to set the game at.
    skeldare wrote: »
    A graphical representation of the Internet/Myspace/whatever mixed a bit with the Sims/Ass.

Wait, so The Sims isn't a game?

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited July 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »

Visually, the game looks like dog shit and is so stuffed to the gills on every square foot of land with user-generated crap that it will make any machine beg for mercy.

Depends where you go and how crappy your computer is. For what SL does, the graphics are pretty impressive. I run everything on max settings with the new lighting client, and it runs great.

Neva on

edited July 2007
    KingMole wrote: »

Wait, so The Sims isn't a game?
    Sure it is. Now that I think about it though, I shouldn't have compared Second Life to the Sims.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is that a ZERG RUSH I see occurring in those screens?

DarkPrimus on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    I'll be on in a bit.

Echo on
    edited July 2007
    Regardless, it is a game. Its not just chat, and the world was blank before players filled it in.

Hell, there is more roleplaying in this game than in many MMORPGs I've played.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Kinda. Friend of mine that's a really talented builder sculpted a bunch of alien bug creatures that look al ot like zerg, and planted them around a sim.

Neva on

edited July 2007
    So... where to meet up?

Echo on
    edited July 2007
    KingMole wrote: »
    Regardless, it is a game. Its not just chat, and the world was blank before players filled it in.

Hell, there is more roleplaying in this game than in many MMORPGs I've played.

Fine, whatever. :P

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Neva wrote: »

Kinda. Friend of mine that's a really talented builder sculpted a bunch of alien bug creatures that look al ot like zerg, and planted them around a sim.

So what happened? Were they programmed to run amuck in a little area where people could fight them?

DarkPrimus on
    edited July 2007
    Aww, no Hen's Arse pub in Pumacity.

There's this Lady Justice statue with a big-ass rifle and Sam Fischer goggles, though.

Echo on
    edited July 2007

So what happened? Were they programmed to run amuck in a little area where people could fight them?

Naw, just a bunch of bull shots. There were around 90 prims {prims are objects. Like 1 prim might be a cube or something like that}, so it will be way too complex to make it move without it looking horrible or breaking.

Neva on

edited July 2007
    I'm currently in orbit over Hoth. Prolly going to go to ground soon.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Recent pictures!
    185383.jpg
    How in the world do you model something like that out of primitives? Have they added more shapes&tools since last I checked (a couple of years back)? I know they added cloth simulation, but this looks far more complex than a collection of spheres.

Glal on
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Recent pictures!
    185383.jpg
    How in the world do you model something like that out of primitives? Have they added more shapes&tools since last I checked (a couple of years back)? I know they added cloth simulation, but this looks far more complex than a collection of spheres.

Sculpted prims. I can't really explain the tech part of it myself, cause it's a bit over my head and I'm half asleep, but there are a lot of help articles that go through and explain how they work and such.

I didn't sculpt that beast either, a friend of mine did. I did sculpt the kitty on its face, though. It gives a good contrast on how shitty some builds can be, and how amazing others can.

Neva on

edited July 2007
    I might need to reinstall it to try that then. I assume they can be worn like ordinary prims?

Glal on
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    I might need to reinstall it to try that then. I assume they can be worn like ordinary prims?

Indeed!

185403.jpg

Neva on

edited July 2007
    Win!

Glal on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So where is the new PA hangout now that Hwang got sold and Octopia dissapeared??

omega71 on
    edited July 2007
    I just discovered that my skin apparently has pubes.

This became apparent when my pants vanished.

Echo on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well I am online right now..

Send me a message if you want my name is Omega Otsuzum

omega71 on
    edited July 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    I just discovered that my skin apparently has pubes.

This became apparent when my pants vanished.

Dammit Echo, where'd you go? I was going to ask you to pick a random sim to port to.

EDIT: Wee crash and can't login for 5 minutes. D:

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited July 2007
    Oh, Gnubie Store has some decent hair now.

Gnubie Store is a good first stop for newbies. All the stuff there costs one SL buck.

Echo on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Or, you can do what I did and go to the Newbie Warehouse I think it was. Tons of stuff for free, since all free users start out with Zero L$. Issue is, when you click a box that says "Clothes" you're going to get about 200 items and 90% of them will be textured in MS Paint.

Btw, should we add a list of all the users/usernames into the OP?
    I play as "Kyder Ling".

Lucky Cynic on
  • DnvnQuinnDnvnQuinn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My name is Rowland Graves on SL, look me up.

DnvnQuinn on
    gunslingeromega.png
    edited July 2007
    Could we decide on an area to meet up in?

Echo on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe

Vic on
This discussion has been closed.