As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Killer Is Dead] now on Steam, Kill The Past in HD!

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in Games and Technology
Suda 51 is directing Killer is Dead, but it's not a sequel to Killer 7. In this original title, you play as a prisoner who's been sentenced to die. Your goal is to kill your assassin.

The game promises to retain the essence of Killer 7 and No More Heroes. It also promises to be a sort of "Dark Side 007" in that it will feature a number of beautiful Bond Girl-like ladies.

On the gameplay side of things, early reports indicate that the game will have sword-play ala No More Heroes, but with new elements.

http://andriasang.com/con0hq/killer_is_dead/

Update: Suda is just executive directing. Bloody hell.

killer7-17a.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I suppose we won't know anything more until...next year?

Suda always takes his time getting his stuff made and announces it way too early.

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Will it make sense this time?

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    Will it make sense this time?

Pfft! Of course not!

.. and I wouldn't have it any other way. From a Suda51 game that is.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Let's hope not.

wVEsyIc.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SHIT SHIT SHIT FUCK THANK YOU BASED SUDA51 IT'S GOING TO BE LIKE KILLER7 IT'S GOING TO BE LIKE KILLER7

I thought.. I thought the day would never come 8->

EVOL on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The last game he directed made sense.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Killer 7 with Wiimote or Move would be pretty cool.
    Then again, dark James Bond with a sword sounds cool too.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    at first i totally mis-read the thread title and had a small panic attack thinking suda51 died

• JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    Looking forward to it. Hopefully as weird as Killer7 though the premise doesn't lend itself to mindfuck me as bad as Killer7 did by the end of it.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Sounds like he's going back to 'Kill The Past'.

So do we kill Travis Touchdown or the Shadows of the Damned guy or Lollipop Chainsaw gal?

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited April 2012
    Hopefully not (spoilers for killer7)
    Emir

I like that guy :(

EVOL on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    at first i totally mis-read the thread title and had a small panic attack thinking suda51 died

Same here. Maybe the OP needs clarification so it's not responsible for cardiac-related deaths?

:)

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I seriously thought the thread said "Suda 51 is dead" and panicked.

This is good news.

YL9WnCY.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Okay, there. =P

(Those smilies pain me.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh, you didn't have to change it. That was just a reading failure on my part.

Smilies are for the weak.

YL9WnCY.png
    And several parts, apparently.

wVEsyIc.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    At some point, I should probably play Killer7. I've had a copy sitting on my shelf for years.

• JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Pretty much gotta buy this on principle. I maintain that No More Heroes is the best game of this generation.

sig.gif
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm... Don't know how I feel about this. I'm setting my brain to Guarded Enthusiasm.

I keep telling myself that I should play through Killer7 again, but then I play the first level and remember how much I had to struggle to get through it. Maybe one day I'll do that thing again.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm always up for some more Killer7/No More Heroes-style weirdness.

Too bad it's gonna be for the 360 and the PS3, though (according to OP's article). No More Heroes-type swordplay works pretty well with the Wiimote.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hard to get too hyped with this complete lack of detail, but anything in the truly mad No More Heroes/Killer 7 style will be an instant purchase from me.

NMH2 was fun but very much a 'me too' fan cash in on NMH1. And Shadows of the Damned and (by the looks of it) Lollipop Chainsaw were both utterly barmy but not that true twisted insanity of Suda 51 on top form.

Bring me the madness!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Sine Mora's story made sense.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    good to have suda still doing stuff. his games are a welcome bit of diversity

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    If one of the selling points is just "will feature beautiful Bond-like ladies" color me so not interested.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    According to this updated Destructoid story the game is apparently about a professional assassin (or "Executioner") sent to kill dangerous, condemned criminals, which makes a lot more sense than the originally reported story. Either way, we're still getting our murder on Suda-style, and I like the sound of it so far.

Grimthwacker on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    At some point, I should probably play Killer7. I've had a copy sitting on my shelf for years.

Playing killer7 is a lot like reading a difficult book. It's good, but...expect to take time off from it now and again to decompress and keep going.

I don't think I ever actually finished the epilogue level.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I suppose I'll need to get an HD console, then.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If one of the selling points is just "will feature beautiful Bond-like ladies" color me so not interested.

All of Suda 51's games have objectified women. If you haven't been playing his games, then I'll allow this gripe, but if you've played and enjoyed Killer 7, No More Heroes, and or Shadows of the Damned, then this is a pretty retarded place to draw the line.

edited April 2012
    I really hope this game is like the Kill the Past series, stylewise. Those were creepy as all hell, had great presentation and stories. Their gameplay wasn't all that hot but if the gameplay's like NMH that'll be fine.

image might be NSFW?
    silver25front.jpg

EVOL on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dirty wrote: »

All of Suda 51's games have objectified women. If you haven't been playing his games, then I'll allow this gripe, but if you've played and enjoyed Killer 7, No More Heroes, and or Shadows of the Damned, then this is a pretty retarded place to draw the line.

I predict that the main character of this game will be hunted by a gorgeous female assassin. After meeting her for the first time he will engage her in brutal combat, destroy her mercilessly, and then weep over her corpse.

I am always excited for Suda's work, regardless of whether or not I understand it or agree with its message. Untangling No More Heroes and its sequel were awesome fun to me! I look forward to this.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

No, I mean it's weird that the announcement's two selling points are "HAY SUDA51 ALSO SOME LADIES ARE IN"

Also, only horrible people use "retarded".

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    No, I mean it's weird that the announcement's two selling points are "HAY SUDA51 ALSO SOME LADIES ARE IN"

Also, only horrible people use "retarded".

Stop being retarded.

From Famitsu:
    full.jpg

full-1.jpg

Mm, cyberpunky.

wVEsyIc.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So his sword is like his briefcase, just part of the grind.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I have to say I always like the concept behind Suda's games but never care for the gameplay. So we'll see how this goes.

So this game is like a Kill the Past/killer7 game set in the future.

This pleases me.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    Emir

Have you played No More Heroes?

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    I'm afraid it don't work like that.

Time to die, Mr. First Rank.

wVEsyIc.png
    B:L wrote: »
    EVOL wrote: »
    Emir

Have you played No More Heroes?

I refuse to believe that it was him. NO HE ISN'T SHIRTLESS AND HE DOESN'T WEAR WHITE(anymore)

• Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    While I agree that Suda games do objectify women, there's always more to them than just a skimpy outfit. Take the NMH games for example. You probably get to hear about maybe a minutes worth of dialogue from every lady you fight, the characterization is good enough that I feel like I'm squaring off against a real person. That whole exchange between Travis and Hollie Summers after they fight was so great and heart wrenching.