As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anime reccomendations?

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    A lot of stuff by FUNimation is available both subbed and dubbed on YouTube by the way.

Oh, a lot of people like Eden of the East too. I didn't think it was super-amazing, but it wasn't bad either. Just a bit, I dunno, shaggy dog.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    I would watch School Rumble.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Like everyone else says, Cowboy Bebop is pretty much the pinnacle of the medium.

I tried to watch Monster, and while it was interesting, and good to see someone trying something different from the typical anime tropes, it is really, really slow. Like, painfully slow. I had to stop after the sixth or seventh episode.
    I stopped watching Monster because I didn't want to see Anna's step parents get brutally murdered along with the fat detective tagging along with Tenma.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Oh, a lot of people like Eden of the East too. I didn't think it was super-amazing, but it wasn't bad either. Just a bit, I dunno, shaggy dog.
    I watched through the first movie and really enjoyed it. Is the second out yet?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If you liked FMA, I think you might like Fairy Tail, although it seems to be developing into a longer runner. The mascot of Fairy Tail is voiced by Alphonse, and early on they make a few meta gags referencing FMA. As for the series itself, it's standard shonen action/adventure stuff, but there are a few touching moments and their shtick, pacing, and humor is top notch.

E: Also, Fairy Tail's first season is on Hulu, if that's important. Going to also endorse Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagenn. I watched that series on pure faith, and it is pure concentrated beyond the impossible awesome. It's also not too long, so if you're going to watch it, watch it before Fairy Tail. You'll hear some more familiar voices that way.

silence1186 on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    If you liked FMA, I think you might like Fairy Tail, although it seems to be developing into a longer runner. The mascot of Fairy Tail is voiced by Alphonse, and early on they make a few meta gags referencing FMA. As for the series itself, it's standard shonen action/adventure stuff, but there are a few touching moments and their shtick, pacing, and humor is top notch.

Based on the manga, it's gonna go for a while. Also, One Piece is pretty much better in every way, so if the OP didn't like that, he's probably not gonna go for Fairy Tail for long.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    kime wrote: »

Based on the manga, it's gonna go for a while. Also, One Piece is pretty much better in every way, so if the OP didn't like that, he's probably not gonna go for Fairy Tail for long.

Well Fairy Tail's author was an assistant for One Piece's author iirc, so there is a definite influence of the latter on the former, in character design, plot structure, and general setting.

E: To continue trying to be helpful, as far as on Hulu, try Blue Exorcist.

silence1186 on
  • Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    FLCL is my shit.
    flcl-never-knows-best-31000.jpg

Samurai Shamploo is also my shit.
    Picture-2.png

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think you're in the same boat as me and really just want stories under 13 episodes that you can devour in a day/weekend

FLCL and Paranoia Agent are probably the best things I've seen on cartoon network and have pretty strong english dubs
    Welcome to the NHK is very goooood, it can be a little hard to watch but it really nails it. First show to make me look up and say 'what have i been doing all day? i really need to clean this place and call up some friends'

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just got a chance to fire up my netflix and see what they have.

Oh, the just have my favorite series of all time!
    Slayers (called The Slayers now, apparently?) is a well-written, fantasy parody that swings between plot and hijinx, and there is so much of it. Start with the original 1995 TV series, and they also have Next and Try, the sequel series. God damnit, I want to rewatch all of it RIGHT THIS SECOND.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Just got a chance to fire up my netflix and see what they have.

Oh, the just have my favorite series of all time!
    Slayers (called The Slayers now, apparently?) is a well-written, fantasy parody that swings between plot and hijinx, and there is so much of it. Start with the original 1995 TV series, and they also have Next and Try, the sequel series. God damnit, I want to rewatch all of it RIGHT THIS SECOND.

Don't forget Revolution and Evolution-R, the two modern day sequels! Still just as funny and keeps the spirit of the original very well.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Slayers is great, but the next 2 series get progressively worse. Try isn't really worth your time. The new ones are alright, and the movies and ovas are good stuff.

They all have really nice dubs, too.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I like watching anime when I'm exercising (subtitles mean I can keep the volume down so I'm not bugging the adjacent apartments), and having just finished Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, am looking for other good stuff to watch. I'm really don't like harem shows, super whacky hijinks (like that one with the mermaid princesses, or To-Love Ru) or anything whose primary selling point is 'moe.' I've heard good things about Madoka, and I keep hearing people mentioning Fate/Stay Night and wondered what people think of that? Anything that you can access via Hulu, Netflix, or Crunchyroll would be good.

Hellsing, OVAs, ALL OF THEM.

Do you want to see Dracula fight Nazi vampires and crash an SR-71 blackbird mach 3 into an aircraft carrier?

Do you want to see horrible pansy-ass teen romance vampires cutdown in seconds?

Do you want to see a berzerker Irish priest who weilds dozens of exploding bayonetts and uses the Bible to teleport?

Do you want to see ass slapping mercenaries fight like manicas in the defense of Lodon from cruise missile equipped Zepplins?

You need to see this show man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-rfDRyPvE

manwiththemachinegun on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    The Record Of Lodoss War series is incredible. It's the best anime Dungeons & Dragons adaptation ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Record-Lodoss-War-Complete-Collectors/dp/B000063K2F

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Hmm. Yes Record of the Lodoss War was probably one of the first anime series that I've seen. The sequel is pretty good too (not great though). I saw it along with Project A-ko vs B-ko and Vampire Hunter D on the Sci-Fi channel back in the day.

great times

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    You should never, ever watch Samurai Champloo, because it is the best anime, and it will ruin all other anime for you.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular

I recently finished Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, It's pretty good fun. If you managed to finish FMA brotherhood, then maybe you might enjoy the previous FMA anime.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is also fun too.

• DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    Did anyone recommend Samurai 7 already?

Take Kurosawa's classic Seven Samurai, transport it to an alternate future world where the bandits are now giant robots. The samurai are still samurai.

I really loved it, and it's only 26 episodes, so it doesn't outstay its welcome.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Tiger+Bunny is actually really good. It's a Japanese take on super-heroes, so it plays like a weird hybrid between the usual superhero shows and the usual anime shows. Plus the protagonist is a past-his-prime hero who wants a nice life with his daughter rather than some 14 year old boy with no personality.

I also just finished watching Black Rock Shooter, which was kind of trippy but pretty good, and Guilty Crown, which was very pretty and had an awesome sound track and some interesting character arcs.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Tiger+Bunny is actually really good. It's a Japanese take on super-heroes, so it plays like a weird hybrid between the usual superhero shows and the usual anime shows. Plus the protagonist is a past-his-prime hero who wants a nice life with his daughter rather than some 14 year old boy with no personality.

I also just finished watching Black Rock Shooter, which was kind of trippy but pretty good, and Guilty Crown, which was very pretty and had an awesome sound track and some interesting character arcs.

Man, Black Rock Shooter was really interesting, and the animation for the fight scenes was TOP NOTCH, but there were some scenes that would have been uncomfortable if they hadn't bowdlerized things a bit. It's also only 8 episodes.

• Watoo24Watoo24 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll +1 cowboy bepop, FLCL, and paranoia agent.

FLCL, and paranoia agent are both fairly short.

Elfen lied, and Kaiba are also good ones. Kaiba will be very hard to find, and is very odd, but So far its one of my favorite animes. Elfen lied is up there too, and relatively easy to find. Elfen lied however is not pg-13 material first episode starts out with full frontal nudity, and the slaughter of a detaining facility. Focus isn't on the sexuality, just the seriousness of the material at hand.

Watoo24 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's also Seirei no Moribito / Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
    It's a little more contemplative, but has some really well animated action scenes.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    img56472094.jpg
    Macross Plus

Wolf's Rain was kinda cool, from what I recall.

And... that is all the anime things I know.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Speed Grapher ! Gundam Wing ! FLCL ! Cowboy Bebop ! Gungrave ! Berserk !

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    reiterating the love for cowboy bebop and samurai champloo

however you mentioned that you like watching anime with the volume down (do you mean muted or just low enough not to disturb others?)

if you meant muted I think you should probably leave cowboy bebop and samurai champloo for a time when you can have the volume up for the best time in the world

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Can anyone find Paranoia Agent anymore? I used to own the box set and sold it (stupid, I know). Can't find it online anywhere.

Vanguard on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Malkor wrote: »
    Hmm. Yes Record of the Lodoss War was probably one of the first anime series that I've seen. The sequel is pretty good too (not great though). I saw it along with Project A-ko vs B-ko and Vampire Hunter D on the Sci-Fi channel back in the day.

great times

Yep, I remember loving Project A-Ko when I was like 12 back in the late 80s. This was before anything was really dubbed or even subtitled. I just watched it for the action and the boobs.

Dirty Pair was my favorite though.
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Can anyone find Paranoia Agent anymore? I used to own the box set and sold it (stupid, I know). Can't find it online anywhere.

Typing "Paranoia Agent DVD" into Google brings up quite a few options.

http://www.amazon.com/Satoshi-Kons-Paranoia-Agent-Collection/dp/B0009RQS7I

Or is it another one you're looking for?

Esh on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I recently watched this thing I'd never heard of, Eden Of The East. It's about some guy who wakes up, naked, pointing a gun at the white house, then it turns out he has a phone with 10 billion yen on it. Mysteries!

Was pretty good!

Oh brilliant
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Esh wrote: »

great times

Yep, I remember loving Project A-Ko when I was like 12 back in the late 80s. This was before anything was really dubbed or even subtitled. I just watched it for the action and the boobs.

Did you happen to look at the prices? They are a barrier to entry, though I,realize I did not clarify that.

How about a place that isn't going to cost $170?

Vanguard on
  • NintenNinten Registered User regular
    I'm looking for anime with a tone similar to Lain.

edited April 2012
    Ninten wrote: »
    Texhnolyze?
    Ergo Proxy?
    GitS?

Bethryn on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've watched One Piece, and Bleach, and had my fill of the both of them. To further narrow my interests, if it's possible to avoid looooooooong running series (especially ones that end up with lots of filler - one big advantage of Brotherhood over the original FMA series).

What are people's opinion's on D-Gray Man, Tiger & Bunny, Neuro, and Welcome to NHK? Kino's Journey?

Kino's Journey is utterly fantastic. Nearly every episode is like a deep philosophical quandary that can sometimes make you question your own morals and beliefs. The protagonist is amazing with many layers and not just your generic easy to grasp main character like in some series. I highly recommend it.
    Texhnolyze?
    Ergo Proxy?
    GitS?

Haibane Renmei is done by the same person and it does to religion what Lain does to science. In a gentler way though.

Falx on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

great times

Did you happen to look at the prices? They are a barrier to entry, though I,realize I did not clarify that.

How about a place that isn't going to cost $170?

Netflix is not a bad choice if cost is an issue. They have various series available on instant queue for a 7 dollar a month fee.

I have both Netflix and Hulu+. Neither of those have Paranoia Agent.

• EthrinilEthrinil Registered User regular
    If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop yet, then that should be your first target. It is simply one of the best out there.

I would also throw my vote in for gurren lagann. The build up and story in that show is really awesome. It gets better with every episode. It is an anime I have watched multiple times.

Other great series that have been mentioned on here that I thought were great:

Black Lagoon - Awesome action and Characters.
    Samurai Champloo - Right up there with Bebop and Gurren Lagann for me
    G.T.O. - a bit older, but the show is awesome.
    FLCL - 6 episodes, pretty awesome
    Beck - Story focuses around a nerdy guy with low self esteem who joins a band. The show's characters are great and it is strangely addicting.

Densha Otoko - It is not Anime but it is a Japanese television series. I can honestly say that it was an awesome story and really hit home with my nerdy self. I found myself relating to the main character in a lot of ways. I also liked this series because it was based on a (supposedly) true story.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I've finished Another on a friends recommendation as well as Usugi Drop. Can anyone recommend me a similar themed Anime?

Well another creepy story is Ghost Hound. Kimi ni Todoke is similar to Usagi Drop in that it is gentle and touching, although it's a romance instead of a parental relationship tale.

• NintenNinten Registered User regular
    Texhnolyze?
    Ergo Proxy?
    GitS?

I think I go with EP. Thanks!

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Eh, Ergo Proxy starts out great but it's so chock full of childish faux-philosophical bullshit that I was actually laughing out loud at the last few episodes. It's also ridiculously heavy handed and the 'surrealism' doesn't come off as creepy ala SEL, it just makes it come off as pretentious and ridiculous. It does symbolism and philosophy in the worst ways possible, basically. It has a nice art direction and a killer soundtrack though.

I'd say Texhnolyze is pretty much better than Ergo Proxy in every way, except pacing. But then again, if you liked SEL you wouldn't mind slow pacing.

I watch EP with a friend, and one of our shared opinions was that the only character remotely likeable was Pino. It helped that the guy I watched it with had a fantastic working knowledge of philosophers and could point out the references; without them, the series makes a lot less sense.

Texhnolyze is fantastic throughout, even if the first episode's style is so silly.

• jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    +1 for Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star, and Fooly Cooly. FLCL can be offputting for many, but becomes all the more amusing if you keep in mind that the whole thing is an allegory for puberty. I also particularly enjoy Trigun, Paranoia Agent, and Ghost in the Shell.

Elfen Lied, Berserk, and Hellsing (original or OVA) are all decent as well, though the gore levels are high, which may turn some viewers away.