As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where the beer flows like wine (Dumb and Dumber 2)

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
Jim Carrey and crew apparently just got over dry heaving after seeing Dumb and Dumberer and said "goddamn we can do better."

Hence, DUMB AND DUMBER 2, starring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels. Fuck yeah!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/showbiz/movies/dumb-dumber-2-farrelly-carrey-ew/index.html
"We're getting set to shoot Dumb and Dumber 2 in September," the director told ComingSoon.net. "We've got Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels back."

Let the quote parade begin.

MOCK.

TheSonicRetard on

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Anchorman 2 is setting things in motion.

Now I wait for Happy Gilmore :pro tour.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Anchorman 2 is setting things in motion.

Now I wait for Happy Gilmore :pro tour.

Hurry, while Bob Barker is still alive

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Big gulps huh? Well, see ya later.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    this just seems like the movie studios are so starved for more hits but so scared of taking risks on new films that they're forced to pop out more sequels to "ancient" (in holywood terms) movies

it just

it all makes me sad

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    meant to post this in the anchorman thread...
    Loss-of-Originality-STATS6.gif

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anchorman people post-Anchorman
    vs.
    Farrelly Brothers post-Dumb-and-Dumber

Imagine there is a chart here
    Pee pee doo doo

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    do you really think they can top when harry met lloyd

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    somebody please explain to me how not being original is a negative, before actual quality of content has been measured?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Almost this exact thing happened to me and my brother when we were kids. Well before the movie.

Only we were drinking slurpees and the dude was way creepier

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    does that chart mean original top 10 films in 1981?

because it says 8 but the color coded part says 7

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Dumb & Dumber is my favorite comedy of all time.

So I am conflicted by this news.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    That graph has some meaning, but also lacks some because people will constantly shill out to see horrible shit. Take me for example: seen every one of the Bayformers movies. I enjoy them. A lot. Do I think they're quality movies as an art form? Fuck no. But that doesn't stop them from bringing in million of dollars.

On the other hand, cutting off that list at 10 is a disservice to the number of original pictures produced. I'd like to see the same list at 20, if not 30 or 50. Even if they're not hugely grossing movies, it still shows a constant state of creativity amongst Hollywood.

And the part about 'Franchises we're still supporting' is well, disingenuous at best, but a whole bunch of BS. Sure, Harry Potter has stretched across a decade. Great. It's still an original adaption, and hasn't been reproduced. Planet of the Apes being 'still supported' is BS. There was a movie then, and a movie now. Coincidental at best. At that logic, you could say that series has been 'still supported' since '68, AND was just as 'unoriginal' because it was an adaptation. Fast and Furious have had a total of, what, 5 movies now? And some disparity of how well they were recieved? It's still an 'original' series. Which is another thing 'sequel' makes sound so bad; it's one thing when a sequel is produced years and years after an original, as an obvious money grab. But when it's being purposely produced as a series, because no one's going to sit through a five hour long movie? That doesn't mean it's less original than a single movie production.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also let it be known that I have a rapist's wit.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    somebody please explain to me how not being original is a negative, before actual quality of content has been measured?

all things being equal, an original has more artistic merit

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

WE LANDED ON THE MOON

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    Just because a movie is a sequel does not make it "unoriginal"

#pipe wrote: »

right yes, but unless it is a remake it is still an original story

RubberAC wrote: »
    Just because a movie is a sequel does not make it "unoriginal"

yes but it does make it "not an original"

and honestly I don't even really agree with the sentiment that an original has more merit

not necessarily at least

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    yes thank you

Samsonite!

I was way off

based on existing Intellectual Property

and?

I've frequently not been original

and?

it makes it distinct from original IP and less artistically meritorious.

and?

because?

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

no one promises originality will be good, but at least it leads (in most cases) to fresher concepts thorugh an evolutionary, forward moving, progressive process of ideas, while sequels tend towards a rehash of the same basic selling points while adjusting moderatly for changing times and tastes. I'm not saying sequels are basically bad. I enjoy sequels! but they should not be the dominating force in the industry.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've frequently not been original

OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    sequels, remakes, and adaptations aren't crap in and of themselves

just in the context of hollywood, they've become formula for studios with little vision hence shit like transformers 3 and a billion comic book adaptations

balerbower on
    Sometimes somebody does a remake because they have a different take on the original material or simply think they can do better.

Sometimes they are right.

and?

because?

because there is less originality in it. There has been less investment in creating characters, settings, relationships and style, there are fewer avenues of artistic expression. Creating a fleshed out character from scratch is one of the things that makes a writer an artist, if they use existing characters they are subverting that step. There is one less chance for them to create something.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

Why?

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I mean, if "all things being equal," the original has more artistic merit, because it grants a greater number of opportunities to create things, wouldn't that only matter if those things were then better than and not equal to the later iterations of those things?

I mean, if "all things being equal," the original has more artistic merit, because it grants a greater number of opportunities to create things, wouldn't that only matter if those things were then better than and not equal to the later iterations of those things?

nope!

Because creativity is not about quality.

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    speaking of adaptations, i'm gonna take the story of don quixote and place it in a post-apocalyptic, steampunk world with vampires and schools for wizardry and tyrannical states which hold hunger games

I think the only remake I've seen that I liked better than the original was Ocean's Eleven

And the only movie adaptation I liked better than the book is Last Of The Mohicans

Oh! One more, Fight Club

The book is self-important horseshit, the movie has way more of a sense of humor about how absurd it is

I enjoyed Blade Runner and Jurassic Park more than their books.

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think the only remake I've seen that I liked better than the original was Ocean's Eleven
    Yes exactly pro movie