As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD+GW 4E Discussion] Distinctly lacks anything to Jenga

• MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Ever since the rules changes effected by the Magic Missile makeover (though I prefer to call that whole affair a clusterfuck :P), there are only two types of powers: attack and utility (Rules Compendium, p. 89). The RC then says that "if a power's type isn't stated, the power is an attack power if it includes an attack roll or if it deals damage" (p. 90). I don't have the HotEC book in front of me, but the three Flurry of Blows powers from earlier releases were all listed as Monk Features, so as per the above definition they certainly are attack powers in this brave new post-Essentials world.

Moreover, in its glossary entry on attacks, the RC goes on to state that "some powers, such as magic missile, are designated as attacks yet lack attack rolls (using such a power counts as making an attack if the power has a target)" (p. 308). According to the first two quotes, Flurry of Blows should be considered an attack power, and because it has a target, using it constitutes making an attack, in keeping with the glossary entry.

Now I certainly don't approve of all those attack-related shenanigans that have come up in the wake of MM getting retrofied, but the rules are fairly unambiguous when it comes to determining whether using a given power counts as making an attack. Of course, it's ultimately up to you (or rather, your DM) whether you're going to stick to them. :)

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Hellfire Master only hinges on it being a fire attack, rather than keying off hits and attack rolls and whatnot, but yeah this is mostly an experiment which I doubt any DM would agree to in a regular game.

• riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    Is anybody around here running a 4e game that would be interested in another player? I've been wanting to play a Blackguard like crazy since I first heard about them, but I've been kind of stuck on DM duty for my own game. I enjoy my game immensely, but I'd also like to get some me-time in as far as playing D&D goes. Also, Blackguards seem really fun while retaining some level of simplicity.

I was looking on the official D&D forums as well, although I'm fairly tired so I may have just missed the forum where you post player or DM availability for online games. I'm not even sure where else to look.

And yes, I originally posted this in the 5e thread because I am untrained in Perception.

• TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    I've been looking for something too, riven. Might be worthwhile to check here as well http://www.dndonlinegames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=280
    There are always some games looking for players and they're pretty dedicated to it.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    @riven5 @TheBog talk to @Daniant I think a spot in one of their games just opened.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Anialos wrote: »
    @riven5 @TheBog talk to @Daniant I think a spot in one of their games just opened.

I like how you forgot to mention another game was recruiting... one that you apped for. :O

It seems there is a conflict of interest! I kid... <3

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Hey, you, you officially closed recruiting for that =p.

Although if they wish to bathe in the fire of your insanity they are certainly welcome to contend my app!

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Anialos wrote: »
    Hey, you, you officially closed recruiting for that =p.

rofl, more disinformation! YOU ARE A MASTER OF PROPAGANDA.

The recruiting ends this Friday!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited March 2012
    What! Lies! Slander!
    Heck, you probably extended it and I didn't notice, sneaky bastard

Edit: Reading comprehension fail! Challenge my leader app! Doo eeeet.

Anialos on
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Don't worry, he'll be submitting a striker, your leader is safe.

Safe from his entry, I mean.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    To spend all day tomorrow working up a character I'll never get to play or not... hmm....

• riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    Sweet, I'll definitely take a look.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    FFS. Wizards broke their website. Can't log into anything other than Compendium.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The wizards website has always been pretty crummy. For last couples years I've had issues where if I logged into the compendium, I had about a 50/50 chance of it not letting me launch the character builder because it says my session has timed out or is invalid or something. But! it won't offer me a login prompt. If I go to the D&D page, and click logout, what happens? Nothing! Amazing! Only way to clear it up is close the browser.

steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They appear to think the idea of more Gamma World support is hilarious enough to be an April Fool joke. Classy.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    They appear to think the idea of more Gamma World support is hilarious enough to be an April Fool joke. Classy.

oh they can go straight to hell

ugh

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    DragonLance was my introduction to DnD via the novels (I started RPGing with Star Wars d6 and Rifts), so it has always had a special place in my heart. I stole many aspects of the setting and placed them directly in my homebrew world.

The whole April Fools magazine is really one giant dagger aimed at my heart.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

It's like they think I need more reasons to utterly hate them.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Aegeri... so bitter!

Such a bummer too because you were the shinning beacon of 4th edition for so long.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And now I am a crazy hermit who simply throws poop at passing travelers.

How far have I truly fallen?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    No bitterness like a lover spurned.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    And now I am a crazy hermit who simply throws poop at passing travelers.

How far have I truly fallen?

well when you put it that way not that far i guess

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's like they think I need more reasons to utterly hate them.
    wait
    i don't actually see Gamma World anywhere on the site
    I saw a reference to a vegepygmy in Dungeon Magazine, along with science fiction future Greyhawk
    and then references to classic D&D science fiction adventure Expedition to the Barrier Peaks in Dragon Magazine

help me out, @Jam Warrior ?

not one of them will be allowed to live

not even my beloved chris perkins

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Really wish I had a solid list of average design assumptions on hand. I've been trying to build a 4E striker with daily powers that grant at-will attack powers and a rolling damage boost, and it's a bloody headache trying to figure out how to balance that against classic nova dailies with static damage boosts.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the other day we decided to try D&D again without getting burnout

I thought of Pathfinder but there is a lot of books and kits for it what is really the basic kit or is there one?

So we ended up using the book of vile darkness and the WOD book Mirrors to build our world
    To say I think we ended up making a bizzare horror than a D&D setting.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Hey, we are starting up Gamma World in the next week or two. We still have some time before we run out of the box set adventure, but I remember seeing some GW adventures in the Dungeon archive. I still have compendium access, but I haven't figured out how to search for gamma world adventures only.

Any ideas?

SrUxdlb.jpg
    whoa, there's gamma world adventures in dungeon? I knew that a christmas adventure was published, and there was extra set of rules for vehicles, but this is the first i've heard of that.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Much obliged, Anti. I just remember seeing some Gamma World stuff a few months back when I was going through looking for 4e adventures. They didn't put Gamma World in the title, but when I would click on the adventure to see if it would be a good fit for my group, it would come up as a GW adventure. I'll do some hunting this weekend.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Does knocking a target prone work on grabbed enemies?

I'm playing a druid utilizing World Serpents Grasp and powers to just keep enemies prone. I used Call of the Wild to replace a lower level summon with the Grizzly Bear companion that grabs enemies. I'm under the impression that grabbed enemies are immobilized. What happens if I hit them with a power?

Is it a great combo to have the bear attack deal damage and grab, if target is still grabbed next turn, hit him with firehawk, if this does break the grab the bear is free to use its instinctive action again to attack for more damage and grab again. Now the creature is grabbed and uses a move action to break free but if it uses a second action to move again i get to attack with firehawk again.

If I had to I could use Magic Stones to force movement and knock prone?

p.s. if do you add on all your pc modifiers to damage roles made by summons? if it says 2d8 + wis(5) for damage do I add on the +2 for my weapon enhancement etc?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Does knocking a target prone work on grabbed enemies?

Yep. There's no specific condition I can think of that prevents knocking someone prone except for prone immunity.
    I'm playing a druid utilizing World Serpents Grasp and powers to just keep enemies prone. I used Call of the Wild to replace a lower level summon with the Grizzly Bear companion that grabs enemies. I'm under the impression that grabbed enemies are immobilized. What happens if I hit them with a power?

They're prone AND immobilized AND grabbed. Immobilized just means that they can't leave their square under their own power except by teleporting or using forced movement on themselves. It's like having your legs tied up.
    Is it a great combo to have the bear attack deal damage and grab, if target is still grabbed next turn, hit him with firehawk, if this does break the grab the bear is free to use its instinctive action again to attack for more damage and grab again. Now the creature is grabbed and uses a move action to break free but if it uses a second action to move again i get to attack with firehawk again.

If I had to I could use Magic Stones to force movement and knock prone?

p.s. if do you add on all your pc modifiers to damage roles made by summons? if it says 2d8 + wis(5) for damage do I add on the +2 for my weapon enhancement etc?

If it says Implement you should be using your Implement bonus. Otherwise summons would never hit.

"Attacks and Checks: If a summoning power allows the summoned creature to attack, the summoner makes an attack through the creature, as specified in the power description. If the summoned creature can make a skill check or an ability check, the summoner makes the check. The attack or check uses the summoner’s game statistics, unless the descriptions of the power or creature specify otherwise. Attacks and checks made through the creature do not include any temporary bonuses or penalties to the summoner’s statistics. "

Ok, so the bear would still be grabbing the prone target. just making sure. Although I would really like it the bear were not grabbing the enemy after i knocked him prone so i'd get the free attack.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anybody know offhand if there's a background that has the same mechanical benefits as gritty sargent but with different fluff? There's like 240 backgrounds and I haven't managed to make a reasonable search in the compendium yet.

edit: Nevermind, a search for initiative proficiency military brings up only that so that seems to indicate no.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Where's the best place on these forums to talk about class optimization? I'm really into my druid but I just don't have the knowledge of all the other classes and feats to make builds or interesting things.

Recently I've been trying to look into multiclassing to try and optimize either the controller or damage output of my caster focused druid. I also am not that impressed with the Druid paragon paths.

• RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    There really aren't threads dedicated to the classes. If you have questions about optimization you should just ask it here.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    >facepalm< Goddammit, Perkins. Don't you start, too. Don't wear out that goodwill you earned running the Aq, Inc. podcasts and live sessions.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    What did he do?