As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where the beer flows like wine (Dumb and Dumber 2)

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think the only remake I've seen that I liked better than the original was Ocean's Eleven

I liked The Thing and The Fly more than their originals.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I enjoyed Blade Runner and Jurassic Park more than their books.

Ooooh, Jurassic Park
    I gotta think about that one

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I like High Fidelity so much more in movie form

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I mean, if "all things being equal," the original has more artistic merit, because it grants a greater number of opportunities to create things, wouldn't that only matter if those things were then better than and not equal to the later iterations of those things?

nope!

Because creativity is not about quality.

Why not?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love both versions of High Fidelity but the movie so overrides everything else that when I read it, even though in the book they're English, I can still only picture Cusack and Jack Black and that other guy

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If you are going to complain a out the lack of original movies. You really shouldn't complain about this one as I believe is maybe Jim Carey's second sequel ever.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean Adam Sandler never does sequels.

I think that's a shame.

Because if he did he would have probably faded away into obscurity.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I mean, if "all things being equal," the original has more artistic merit, because it grants a greater number of opportunities to create things, wouldn't that only matter if those things were then better than and not equal to the later iterations of those things?

nope!

Why not?

because?

Because one comes from the other? Innovation and perfection are different.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I think that's a shame.

yeah but how could you make a sequel to something like Little Nicky

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    your mom is a sequel

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    your mom is a sequel

MY MOTHER WAS AN EPILOGUE

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    your mom was a zombie movie sequel at best

Dave, can you please explain, on a points scale how many more artistic merit points an original IP has over the quality of a really good sequel.

Please use the examples, Jack and Jill and The Godfather Part II.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Farrelly brothers vs. the Wachowski brothers: who turned out to suck way more... worse?

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png

nope!

Why not?

because?

Because one comes from the other? Innovation and perfection are different.

That seems like an arbitrary distinction between abstractions that's kinda divorced from assessing the artistic merit of actual works.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    What bad films did the Wachowski brothers do?

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I think the only remake I've seen that I liked better than the original was Ocean's Eleven

I dunno if it counts, but give me the Cinematic Titanic version of Santa Claus conquers the martians over the MST3K original any day.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular

everything they were attached to in 2003 sucked.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

I think that's a shame.

yeah but how could you make a sequel to something like Little Nicky

A question best left unanswered.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Matrix 2/3 and it wasn't like speed racer was technically a good movie.

Hah. Oh yeah. V for vendetta.

Zongugal I should ask you what good stuff have they done?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Speed Racer isn't a good movie

it's a great movie

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it wasn't like speed racer was technically a good movie.

425_speed_racer6_120707.jpg

Anti.

I will say it is entertaining.

And we will leave it at that.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Oh right I forgot this place is filled with crazy people

mkc.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    also having never read the comic I thought V for Vendetta was pretty good?

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Big gulps huh? Well, see ya later.

WE LANDED ON THE MOON

woooah this is great

i never read the comic and didn't think it was very good.

Zongugal I should ask you what good stuff have they done?

The Matrix, V for Vendetta and Speed Racer are all great in my book.

I personally enjoy The Matrix 2 & 3.

But beyond that I think they don't have enough films to be judged so harshly.

Melding wrote: »

yeah i dunno i mean

it didn't blow me away or anything but i enjoyed it and would probably watch it again

V made me so angry.

I nerd raged about that movie.

So much.

It's a movie about anarchy and there is an organized march.

And?

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    and wah wah wah wuh bluh buh

Speecd Racer is a pretty baller movie

I would not, however, say it was very good

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Melding wrote: »

yeah i dunno i mean

it didn't blow me away or anything but i enjoyed it and would probably watch it again

It's watchable, yeah. but it's just kinda like a movie. nothing really remarkable happens. a lot of the events are telegraphed and they couldn't make up their minds on if we should like or hate V.

• Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    Guys, I have a confession to make.
    I saw the Dumb and Dumber prequel.
    In theaters.
    And thought some of it was funny.
    I....I needed to get that off my chest.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular

sigh

sig2.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Aliens.

I am watching it right now.

Just putting that out there.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such