As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where the beer flows like wine (Dumb and Dumber 2)

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    ohhh

yeah I definitely know what you mean

I notice it a lot when I'm watching on the new TV my parents got

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    oh I also watched Hugo a few weeks back with my family

it was a very good movie, fairytale almost

reminded me of the sort of books I would read as a kid

it also had Gnossienne in it and it's one of my favs so that's a bonus

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    also I did not know Sasha Baron Cohen could act that way

he is a really good actor!

who knew!

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Predator 2 suffers really badly from its setting.

I like the predator, and the Danny Glover bits. But the far flung future of 1997 with no petrol ruled by Rastafarian drug lords seemed a bit silly.

That reminds me. Do you know what would be a great crossover?

Predator Vs. Demolition Man.

Right now, you're all jealous I thought of it first.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

who knew!

Well he had Scorsese directing him

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What I find fucking crazy about starship troopers. Is that the movie is a satire. And a great one at that.

The book is 100% not satire.

The writer is positive that this is the right way to live.

I actually enjoyed Predator 2 a lot more than the original

the urban setting clicked with me more

yeah the whole 1997 dystopia thing didn't age well and it was pretty silly to begin with

but it's more interesting

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ohhh

yeah I definitely know what you mean

I notice it a lot when I'm watching on the new TV my parents got

yeah

it's also why soap operas look different from typical television

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Predator 2 suffers really badly from its setting.

I like the predator, and the Danny Glover bits. But the far flung future of 1997 with no petrol ruled by Rastafarian drug lords seemed a bit silly.

That reminds me. Do you know what would be a great crossover?

Predator Vs. Demolition Man.

Right now, you're all jealous I thought of it first.

man, i would love a return to demolition man 15-20 years later

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What I find fucking crazy about starship troopers. Is that the movie is a satire. And a great one at that.

why do you say that?

Shorty on
    edited April 2012
    #pipe wrote: »

who knew!

Well he had Scorsese directing him

yeah but it also seems like he actually has some talent now

not that I am, at all, downplaying Scorsese's directing skills

but I think the dude is actually considerably skilled in his craft and that did now show at all in his past projects

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I actually enjoyed Predator 2 a lot more than the original

the urban setting clicked with me more

yeah the whole 1997 dystopia thing didn't age well and it was pretty silly to begin with

but it's more interesting

I almost agree with you.

Predator 2 is almost a great movie.

I wish so hard that they would remake it.

Shorty wrote: »

why do you say that?

To be fair. That is not a fact.

I will rephrase. I got the impression that that is whet he thinks our government should be like.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

who knew!

his whole family is boss as fuck

one of his...brothers? cousins? is one of the foremost authorities on autism

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    it is actually my dad that sold me on demolition man.

He normally hates movies like that but he sat me down and told me i had to watch it.

It was weird.

I watched Hugo ages ago.

And when I left the theater, I was all, best picture, don't argue with me, I can't see how anything this year will be better.

Then I saw the artist.

Two minutes in I changed my mind.

I watched Hugo ages ago.

And when I left the theater, I was all, best picture, don't argue with me, I can't see how anything this year will be better.

Then I saw the artist.

I did not see The Atrist, though I get a feeling it's probably for the best. I get that it's very very good, I just dont think I would like it much myself.

Also yeah, the Starship Troopers book seemed to take itself and the idiology in it very seriously

wY6K6Jb.gif

why do you say that?

To be fair. That is not a fact.

I will rephrase. I got the impression that that is whet he thinks our government should be like.

heinlein's other work is basically the exact opposite of that

stranger in a strange land, for instance, argues for a society that is essentially without government

Melding wrote: »

He normally hates movies like that but he sat me down and told me i had to watch it.

It was weird.

my dad did the same thing

except with american history x

To me, it felt quite accessible across genres.

I liked it for a bunch of reasons.

I like talking about media.

I didn't really know this growing up as none of my friends really read. And my parents didn't take me to the movies or the video store very often so I didn't really cultivate a liking to them til far later in life, when people did engage me in discussion. I would talk about them quite happily.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Robocop 3 is only PG-13, which is lame

but he gets a jetpack in that one so

you know

fuckin' awesome

Also hilarious. I love Robocop 3.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever seen Robocop 2

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I did not see The Atrist, though I get a feeling it's probably for the best. I get that it's very very good, I just dont think I would like it much myself.

I saw it and appreciated the hell out of it. It's a fantastic movie, but it wasn't really my idea of a great old time.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever seen Robocop 2

you should, it is the second best robocop.

Real Question.

Was I the only one, who, when I first saw the trailer for war horse was waiting for some jokes in the trailer because they were convinced it was not a Steven Speilberg film, but a guy parodying him?

Real Question.

Was I the only one, who, when I first saw the trailer for war horse was waiting for some jokes in the trailer because they were convinced it was not a Steven Speilberg film, but a guy parodying him?

the thought did not occur to me but I could totally see how it might

I mostly just thought "looks like another Oscar grab"

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, the scene in Robocop 2 where the evil kid takes him apart disturbed me.

Since we're getting shit off our chests.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I hope Sasha Baron Cohen is good, because he's supposed to be Freddy Mercury.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Robocop is up there with starship troopers.

I do not care for starship troopers

mainly because it was shot on filmstock that bothers me

what?

I don't get it like, what's so bothersome about a film being on the medium you put films on

different filmstock gives a film different visual qualities

it's generally very, very subtle

typically it's just a matter of fidelity - compare any modern film with a sitcom and you'll see what I'm talking about right away

also, british television is visually distinct from american television for this reason, because they use a different filmstock as their standard

starship troopers was filmed on a "cooler" filmstock than is typical for hollywood films

so everything is just a tad blueshifted

and this irritates me

it's entirely subjective, obviously, and I'm not saying it's a bad film

I just don't care for it

(I have no idea how digital recording deals with this, but it's probably something they can just set on the camera before they start recording, or maybe they do it in post, I don't know)

edit: oh and "filmstock" refers to the physical film that a move is recorded on, if that wasn't clear

I can't speak for Depressperado, but I found it confusing, because at first glance your statement parses as:

[mainly because it was shot on filmstock] that bothers me

rather than

mainly because it was shot on [filmstock that bothers me]

I'm sure you were dying to know that.

• MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

It was weird.

When demolition man was first out on tv or video, don't remember, we were going to watch it and I guess me and my brothers were acting up a bit. So my dad punches me in the arm, which make my nose bleed for some reason, and then we enjoy a fantastic movie.

4FNao2T.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    somebody please explain to me how not being original is a negative, before actual quality of content has been measured?

high five bro

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    somebody please explain to me how not being original is a negative, before actual quality of content has been measured?

all things being equal, an original has more artistic merit

right yes, but unless it is a remake it is still an original story

based on existing Intellectual Property

and?

it makes it distinct from original IP and less artistically meritorious.

QTyEi.gif

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    starship troopers is one of the few sci-fi movies with a positive outlook on the future

provided you are a fascist

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    starship troopers is one of the few sci-fi movies with a positive outlook on the future

provided you are a fascist

also extremely lucky in life

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

I watched Hugo ages ago.

Then I saw the artist.

I saw both films twice, alternating between the two, and still can't decide which one I liked better.

uc3ufTB.png

Yeah, Heinlein's a little..kooky.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-t9zV9_bYQ

Don't like the editing on that, so let's go with the American version.

I love janky old dystopian cyberpunk scifi.

Aneurhythmia on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    also saying "we can do better than dumb and dumberer" is putting the bar pretty low

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Max Headroom is so fucking good.