As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Resurgence MP DLC on the 10th; 6 chars, 3 guns, 2 maps. MARK SPOILERS!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Playing singleplayer after multiplayer is very weird. Even on a good server I play with a noticeable amount of latency - having my abilities hit enemies instantly is very disorienting.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I chime in quite a bit with the Avenger, but it represents a minority of the damage dealt. It's more to finish guys off so I don't have to waste a cooldown on killing a single mook.

• kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    Hmm think I'll give my paladin a shot first in that case. Little heavier, but I kinda like having the high weapon damage.

If you can keep your cooldowns >= 180%, it's all good IMO.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    There's no point in using a sniper rifle with the Salarian Engineer. If you want to use a sniper rifle, just use the infiltrator. That way, you can cloak, then energy drain, then shoot, which gives you a huge boost to damage. Stick with pistols, I can't stand using the predator because you have to click too much and you can't be as accurate. The carnifex is probably overall better than the phalanx, but the higher weight will hurt for a while.

That said I still think that using a sniper for Salarian Winfiltrator is a waste. With proxy mine, energy drain, cloak with 2 powers and a pistol, you're extremely versatile. Sniping can be great, but there are lots of situations where you can get quickly get overwhelmed.

Lemming wrote: »
    There's no point in using a sniper rifle with the Salarian Engineer. If you want to use a sniper rifle, just use the infiltrator. That way, you can cloak, then energy drain, then shoot, which gives you a huge boost to damage. Stick with pistols, I can't stand using the predator because you have to click too much and you can't be as accurate. The carnifex is probably overall better than the phalanx, but the higher weight will hurt for a while.

That said I still think that using a sniper for Salarian Winfiltrator is a waste. With proxy mine, energy drain, cloak with 2 powers and a pistol, you're extremely versatile. Sniping can be great, but there are lots of situations where you can get quickly get overwhelmed.

This is when you turn on cloak and run away.

It's your greatest power.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Using a Viper with the salarian Engineer worked alright for me. You can drain enemies defenses with energy drain and then finish them off. If you're just up against defenseless enemies you can spam incinerate and focus on the next target already.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If I host a game and make it public, will it eventually fill up with people queuing? I left an open game sitting for about 3-4 minutes this morning and didn't get anyone in - wondering if it was just coincidence.

The ME3 Viper occupies this weird space where the ROF is relatively low, but it still isn't quite a single shot weapon. I just can't get used to it.

Granted, I haven't tried very hard...

Using a Viper with the salarian Engineer worked alright for me. You can drain enemies defenses with energy drain and then finish them off. If you're just up against defenseless enemies you can spam incinerate and focus on the next target already.

You can make pretty much any class/weapon combination work, but there are weapons that are just better suited to different classes. In the end you should play as whatever is the most fun for you, though.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    That was a fun run of gold matches. <3

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If I host a game and make it public, will it eventually fill up with people queuing? I left an open game sitting for about 3-4 minutes this morning and didn't get anyone in - wondering if it was just coincidence.

It should. Alternatively you can add everyone on the list in the OP, I find that usually three to four people are online, at peak times 10-20. What's your Origin handle?

steam_sig.png

Basil wrote: »

We made Gold our bitch.

It should. Alternatively you can add everyone on the list in the OP, I find that usually three to four people are online, at peak times 10-20. What's your Origin handle?

casselia

You can make pretty much any class/weapon combination work, but there are weapons that are just better suited to different classes. In the end you should play as whatever is the most fun for you, though.

Agreed. I just don't know what other weapon to use as a salarian Infiltrator. Maybe I should go with an assault rifle or a pistol like on my human Engineer, whom I play up-close more than anything.

steam_sig.png

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

We made Gold our bitch.

And then totally ate it on our Brogan Silver match :lol:

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire

Agreed. I just don't know what other weapon to use as a salarian Infiltrator. Maybe I should go with an assault rifle or a pistol like on my human Engineer, whom I play up-close more than anything.

Even with a total recharge of only +160% the Carnifex is great. I think it'll go to +200% with level X but even at I it works really well. The phalanx is pretty good too.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    I would suggest people find a gun they like and make a build around that. I love the Phalanx, but I carry it on so many characters I'm getting pretty sick of it. Working towards a Raptor for my Salarian Engineer, the Mattock for my humans and Turians, Carnifex on my asari, that sort of thing.

...Really shouldn't have promoted all my characters, sigh.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    CarbonFire wrote: »

We made Gold our bitch.

Apparently Silver is harder than Gold.

True story.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

We made Gold our bitch.

True story.
    I did so enjoy making your screens bounce with constant explosion spam after that.

Vwoop boom vwoop voom vwoop boom vwoop boom

Although it was evident that I had by then forgotten how to roll when shot at, as opposed to intercepting bullets with my face.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg

We made Gold our bitch.

True story.
    I did so enjoy making your screens bounce with constant explosion spam after that.

Vwoop boom vwoop voom vwoop boom vwoop boom

Although it was evident that I had by then forgotten how to roll when shot at, as opposed to intercepting bullets with my face.

You were too busy staring at the carnage left behind after yet another one of those biotic detonations went off, sending geth flying in all directions. Which is totally understandable.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I like the valiant on the salarian engineer/infiltrator because it's accurate enough unscoped that you can dumbfire it at short range if you get in trouble.

I got the crusader in my commendation pack; not what I wanted but I figured what the hell, I'll mess around with it in some bronze games. Who is it meant to be useful for? It's too heavy for anything that needs to use powers, but it seems to favor middle distance more than short range... krogan soldiers, I guess?

Also, do the melee damage bonus mods always apply, or only when you have that particular weapon drawn? I'm just wondering if it's helpful for krogans to carry around predators with the melee damage mod

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Also, do the melee damage bonus mods always apply, or only when you have that particular weapon drawn? I'm just wondering if it's helpful for krogans to carry around predators with the melee damage mod

That...is a VERY good question.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Also the scoped carnifex is really versatile because the pistol scope is only 2x. Which means you can use it to snipe somewhat competently (and to lock on powers at significantly longer range), but you aren't a fumbling retard if you try and use the scope at short distances.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just me but the Valiant doesn't seem to do much damage firing from the hip. Enemies that should be nearly dead from one shot of it seemed to shrug it off pretty well.

they seem to bug out sometimes, I dunno why. Sometimes a room will transfer host to me when everyone leaves, and it never seems to fill back up.

NREqxl5.jpg
    Maybe it's just me but the Valiant doesn't seem to do much damage firing from the hip. Enemies that should be nearly dead from one shot of it seemed to shrug it off pretty well.

The widow feels the same. Often when I fire from the hip it doesn't do quite enough damage to kill, whereas a scoped shot to anywhere in the body seems to do the trick. I wonder what's going on...

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    kaz67 wrote: »
    Since people are talking about it, when you play engineer is it optimal to have minimum weight so you can just spam abilities like with adepts? Have actually manged to never play that class in my time with the series. Was thinking about using my black widow when I start leveling one or would that be a bad set up?

You really want something that'll leave you close to 200% recharge rate, at least as a human engineer. It's all about the overload spam, plus incinerate for anything ugly and the drone for either helping locking down people or assisting with your damage.

Yeah I think I barely ever even bother shooting at stuff as an engineer :P

But if you're not shooting stuff, you're not proccing disruptor ammo, and then you're not setting off a tech burst with every overload. :D Works wonders on gold.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Unscoped sniper shots take a damage penalty, I believe.

Also I want to say that multiple weapons with melee bonus mods don't stack because if my memory serves I was doing less melee damage as a krosoldier when I switched away from my shotgun.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png

krogans dual wielding shotgun/pistol, but not even firing the guns, just using them as clubs

NREqxl5.jpg
    Ah, that would explain it.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    so my victory pack gave me a shotgun and power boost for one level, and the commendation pack gave me a hurricane? (the n7 submachine gun). I don't use submachine guns though so waste of time promoting two guys I think!

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Single-player related...

Is bringing Javik down on Rannoch to kill the Reaper as awesome as it sounds?

• eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yay! Eagle II. Except I have the Predator IX, Phalanx III, and Carnifex III, so it's completely worthless.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Got a Hurricane in my pack, figured I'd try it out and discovered it's the perfect weapon fot my Turian Sentinel. Light enough to have decent cooldowns and Turian stability bonuses bring it under control. Once you can control it the Hurricane simply chews through anything in you path.

I really do love this crazy hand Gatling gun.

Furthermore, if you have two weapons with melee damage bonus, do they stack?

steam_sig.png

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I better get a Saber this morning. If I don't I'm done with this game.

Edit: Yeah right.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    WOOOHOOO

Finally got some medigel!

Also some sniper rifle...valiant or something. I dunno, looks pretty meh.
    Well, at least I got some medigel :D
    Yay for good N7 weapons! Looks like I'll be playing more Winfiltrator now :winky:
    Also I wish I was kidding about that medigel. I went 6 packs this evening (2 premium spectre, 2 veteran and 2 recruit packs) without a single medigel to restock my continually dwindling supply.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I use the thread for 360. It has never let me down.

This thread.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But seriously, is there somewhere where PC players organize games? There are like only 5 people who play it in the steam group chat

steam_sig.png