As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadowrun | This Thread's got Black Ice, Chummer. Find the New One.

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=9MiMjQwd2VE

1_character_poster1-600x733.png

FINAL TOTAL (including PayPal): $1,895,772!

GR26p.gif
Shadowrun Returns

What is Shadowrun Returns?
Shadowrun Returns is a new game set in the Shadowrun universe. (It is largely unrelated to Shadowrun Online, a different game, which is an MMO by the Jagged Alliance Online people. Shadowrun Online is set later in the Shadowrun universe and will pick up plotlines from Shadowrun Returns.) Shadowrun Returns is currently a Kickstarter project that aims to fund a game for tablets (Androids + iOS) and PC. The game will be a single player turn based RPG in the spirit of the older Shadowrun SNES/Genesis games.

ibj1wa6h7dnzQF.jpg

Another Shitty Shadowrun Cash-in? Bleh
Not so fast! This game's being made by Jordan Weisman and his team. Weisman is the guy behind Battletech, Crimson Skies, and other things (like... Shadowrun). Weisman was one of the original creators of Shadowrun and his game company, Harebrained Schemes, is made up of a bunch of people he's brought along with him from his FASA days (plus a bunch of other people). Marshall Parker and Sam Powell, the composers of the music for the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games respectively, are collaborating on the music.

Okay, What's the Game Going to be Like?
I'm literally just going to copy and paste from the Kickstarter page because we don't know anything right now aside from what's there...

TpJhi.jpg

Single player turn based RPG. None of this "let's try to be Counterstrike" stuff we got in the last Shadowrun game.
One of the many innovations in Data East’s Shadowrun Super Nintendo game was a unique conversation engine that opened up new avenues of conversation based upon information you learned through interactions with characters and objects. We intend on taking a similar path with a new twist or two.

Contextual Gameplay in Four Realities

Four realities overlap in the world of Shadowrun (the Physical, the Digital, the Mystic, and the Astral) and associated character classes such as the Street Samurai, Hacker, Combat Mage, and Shaman, each have the ability to view and interact with the world in ways the others can’t.

Here are some ways that selecting each character class allows you to see the map from a different perspective:
  • Street Samurai see a threat assessment overlay of the environment that notes enemy appraisals, options for cover, potential weapons, and statistics for drawn weapons.
  • Combat Mages see magical auras, granting them the ability to locate magical items, identify spells being prepared, and find the intersections of magic lay lines where they can recharge their power.
  • Hackers/Deckers see the digital control circuitry that allows them to manipulate the physical world via the digital one.
  • Shaman see the “true world” that lies in the astral plane, distinguishing the true nature of people, plants, creatures, and magical objects while buildings and other “dead” objects appear as mere shadows.

Missions (aka "Runs") in Shadowrun Returns can require interaction with all four realities simultaneously, requiring you to use information learned from each character’s perspective to coordinate their context-sensitive actions to get the job done. . . and survive.

That’s why we decided to make Shadowrun Returns a turn-based game—so we can offer you a wide range of context-based gameplay options from which to craft a your plan.

XkrFh.jpg

It gets complicated.

2JRQn.jpg

BUT it's Weisman's license now, I guess. Partially. A Shadowrun MMO is also in the works, and it will be set later in the timeline (the 2070s) and it will feature callbacks to Shadowrun Returns.

Hold On, What is Shadowrun?

vpYwW.jpg

Never heard of Shadowrun?
Created almost 25 years ago, Shadowrun remains one of the most original and cherished role-playing settings. The game world’s origin story mashes-up the dystopian Cyberpunk future of a Blade Runner with the high fantasy creatures and races of a Lords of the Rings in an organic way that produces iconic characters, environments, and situations.

It's the RPG setting that you'd get if Neal Stephenson wrote The Lord of the Rings. It's cyberpunk all the way down, from the corporations that control everything to the glorification of hackers and punks and outcasts and robot limbs, but it also has a mystical/spiritual side, which manifests itself in the form of shaman who can enter the astral plane and elves and orcs and other creatures which are walking around smoking cigarettes. Here's how the Kickstarter describes the universe:
According to the Mayan Calendar (and lots of tabloids), the world will end on December 21, 2012. It’s part a 5,200 year cycle of death and rebirth that, in Shadowrun, actually charts the ebb and flow of magic from the Earth. So, on 12/21/12 magic will return, end this world, and wreak holy havoc while starting the next. Aboriginal cultures, who maintained their mystical traditions, are the first to feel the return of magic and use their newfound power to reshape the political, financial, and physical world around them. As the magic increases, Elf and Dwarf babies are born to very surprised parents who carry the right combination of long-dormant genes. But all of these events pale in comparison to the horror of "goblinization", which painfully reshapes the teenage bodies of those unlucky enough to carry dominant Ork or Troll genes. And then the first Great Dragon rises from its 5,200 yearlong hibernation and circles over Tokyo, signaling that the world has truly AWAKENED.

Fast forward two generations, to a world transformed not only by the growth of magic but by the acceleration of cyber technology—a continual effort to improve upon the gifts that nature gave humanity; by the inevitable maturation of the World Wide Web into the Matrix—a network directly accessible by the human brain; and by the near elimination of governments as they are replaced megacorporations—monolithic entities who see only customers, not citizens.

And moving through the dark shadows cast by the gleaming towers of the corps, are Shadowrunners – disposable assets and corporate pawns scratching out a living using a combination of technology, magic, and street smarts. Shadowrunners live between the cracks and operate outside the law, doing the dirty work that corporate wage-slaves won’t soil their hands with and occasionally acting as the only protection the citizenry can turn to.

Welcome to the world of Shadowrun, where man meets magic and machine.

It also promises that the game will include (among other things): Ares Predators and Ruger Super Warhawks (yes, with smartlinks), Maglocks and Doc Wagons, datajacks and credsticks, dermal plating and wired reflexes, “chummer” and "drek", Ares and Fuchi and Aztechnology.

The Shadowrun Wiki is a nice place to brush up on the lore. Learn about the noble Century Ferret and peruse the inscrutable last will and testament of the first and only dragon president of the United Canadian and American States.

Odds and Ends

TychoCelchuuu on

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    More like ASSTechnology, amirite?

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    This interests me. It seems like everyone is hopping onto the kickstarter game bandwagon, and I must say I approve so far, it gives studios the option of not going through a big producer company like activision or EA, who care more about money and are less likely to try something new than a sequel to whatever is hot right now

I realize this is technically a 'sequel' but it is much more niche I believe, I don't think any producer would touch it with a 10 foot pole.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Awesome. I'm donating. Anything to get the taste of the FPS out of my mind.

Back in my carefree youth when I had time for tabletop games Shadowrun was always my favorite. Hell, I still fire up the Sega Genesis version when I need a fix.

Fleeb on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Starred the project. Probably going to back it as well.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Data-East SNES RPG style Shadowrun, maybe?

Hell yes, I still listen to the music from that game.

Looking forward to this something fierce!

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Jordan Weisman alone sells me on this. Since funding probably won't be any issue, really hope this one works out great - having a level editor should really extend the lifespan of this game, the rewards are great ($30 gets you all the digital stuff!).

steam_sig.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    My bank account isn't happy with all these kickstarters.

My heart is.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is relevant to my interests, thanks for posting TychoCelchuuu. When I first saw this thread, I thought maybe it was going to be talking about this, even though its a bit older news:

http://www.cliffhanger-productions.com/content/list/details/id/68

I welcome the news of both of these, got a bunch of reading to do to see if I (most likely) Back this.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Whoah.

Even if this kickstarter thing turns out to be a fad, it will be worth it just for this.

[edit] Oh Snap
    $60 pledge wrote:
    a PERSONALIZED DOC WAGON CARD

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is relevant to my interests, thanks for posting TychoCelchuuu. When I first saw this thread, I thought maybe it was going to be talking about this, even though its a bit older news:

http://www.cliffhanger-productions.com/content/list/details/id/68

I welcome the news of both of these, got a bunch of reading to do to see if I (most likely) Back this.

Check their Facebook page facebook.com/pages/Shadowrun-Online/170199826400835 . Cliffhanger have shown some concept art there.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    3rd edition rules or no sale.

edited April 2012
    There should be a $100k pledge level where they offer to bail you out of jail and pay your lawyer fees after you take a shit on MS's front lawn for fucking up FASA in the first place.

[edit] I just watched the pitch video and they have a ritual stoning of MS for making the FPS. I can't say I disapprove even if I have heard that the game wasn't bad for what it was.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    If you paid them 100k, they should hire shadowrunners to do that for you.

Edith Upwards on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    My bank account isn't happy with all these kickstarters.

My heart is.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There should be a $100k pledge level where they offer to bail you out of jail and pay your lawyer fees after you take a shit on MS's front lawn for fucking up FASA in the first place.

[edit] I just watched the pitch video and they have a ritual stoning of MS for making the FPS. I can't say I disapprove even if I have heard that the game wasn't bad for what it was.

The game was actually pretty fun as a class-based Shooter thing. But it was lacking in tons of content and it didn't make sense that it involved Shadowrun at all.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    So tell me about the P&P game since 2nd edition. I haven't been keeping up.

steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

The game was actually pretty fun as a class-based Shooter thing. But it was lacking in tons of content and it didn't make sense that it involved Shadowrun at all.

Yeah, it was fun as hell but it was really just a futuristic/fantasy fps with the Shadowrun name tacked on. I still wish it had done better though, it was pretty awesome.

JtgVX0H.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I was hoping it would be a tactical squad shooter.

This is still nice.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    3rd edition rules or no sale.
    Well it's set in 2050, so that should make you happy. I like 4th edition, but I'm cool with either.

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes Kickstarter so goddamn awesome. At this point I'm giving more money to these projects than I am actually buying games that are out.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    People mentioning the fps make me want to travel back in time and punch their expecting mothers in the uterus.

This kickstarter things keeps bringing me games that I want so take all my monies.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Jordan Weisman alone sells me on this.

You have my axe smartlinked Ares Predator!

Genesis version was the superior one however it was rather easy if you rolled a decker and did matrix runs for junk data.

It also taught me how to say Shadowrun in German!

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They both were good games. I love both of them, though the Genesis one was more faithful to the setting. Jake Armitage was a fucking power gamer. Cyberware, combat skills, decking skills, and Shamanic magic? GM shoulda squashed that. ;P

• PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Omigawd omigawd omigawd omigawd omigawd... No, breathe. Breathe. Be cool. Be cool, man. It might not happen, it's just a Kickstater, that doesn't... necessarily mean... omigaaaaaawd!

Between this and the two BattleTech games we're getting, I'm not sure I can handle it. It's like 2012 rolled around and everything I loved about tabletop gaming is all "we're back, baby, and better than ever!"

Man, they're even setting it in fucking 2050. Hype, chummers. Hype beyond words.

The Renraku arcology went all to shit, deckers became hackers, shadowrunners learned how to swear properly, and a comet fucking ruined everyone's day.

brig_banner.png
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Everyone donate your monies! By the way, I only glanced at the new setting, and I didn't really like it. Seems like they took a lot of uniqueness and character.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Shadowrun Returns

Shadowrun is coming back, and Jordan Weisman, the guy behind Battletech, Crimson Skies, and other things (like... Shadowrun) is bringing it. He's got a Kickstarter going to fund his new studio and they're making a turn based single player tactical RPG set in the universe.

Woah.

Kickstarter is turning into some kind of god-damned Classical Gaming Renaissance.

I almost want to start figuring out what other properties have yet to step up to better anticipate other awakenings.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    *huff puff* when I heard the news I came running. There was literally (no, I don't mean figuratively, I mean this actually happened) no possible way for me to pay drop money on this product faster than I did. Okay, so maybe I lied a little. . . I spent some time hemming and hawing over whether to get in at the $100, $250, or $500 level.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    They both were good games. I love both of them, though the Genesis one was more faithful to the setting. Jake Armitage was a fucking power gamer. Cyberware, combat skills, decking skills, and Shamanic magic? GM shoulda squashed that. ;P

Could be worse. Could've been Samuel Haight,

That story had a happy ending, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Single player turn based RPG. None of this "let's try to be Halo" stuff we got in the last Shadowrun game.
    As somebody who dropped $20 last year on the GFWL version of Shadowrun (which still has a community, surprisingly), I'd say it was more along the lines of "Counter-Strike with magic and tech" than Halo. Bad Shadowrun title, but still pretty enjoyable every now and then.

As a singleplayer game, though, I'd still like to see the perfect blend of Deus Ex-style presentation and gameplay with classic P&P rules like Troika did with Vampire: The Masquerade. I've never played a real (read: tabletop) Shadowrun game before, but loved the 16-bit games, so if this pans out well I'll gladly keep an eye on it.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Not a huge Shadowrun fan, but I donated because I like turn-based RPGs.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

Hope you heard about Wasteland 2 and the Baldur's Gate enhanced editions that are on the way.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Haha, Kickstater is amazing! So many fantastic classic RPGs are making a comeback.

So fund'd!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Meiz wrote: »

Hope you heard about Wasteland 2 and the Baldur's Gate enhanced editions that are on the way.

Banner Saga too.

Kickstarter is one big Adventure + CRPG revival.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I definitely know about Baldur's Gate EE. Wasteland 2 I'd heard of, but don't know much about it. I'll check it out, but I've played the Shadowrun tabletop RPG a few times, so there's at least that connection there.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Genesis version was the superior one however it was rather easy if you rolled a decker and did matrix runs for junk data.

You can do that easily enough with a gator shaman. An essence cost of 0.2 gets you a matrix jack. This is how I did things (spoilered because why the hell not?):
    Work crap jobs until I get my brother's stuff.

Relocate to where Vigore and Jarl are and just grind matrix runs for them. Throw in the occasional mundane run to break up the monotony.

Since V+J offer the most money per run, especially when you have shit social skills, you can climb the deck hierarchy pretty fast. Spread karma among skills.

Profit.

It's easy, if time consuming, to become good at everything. It saves you from having to bring other runners along, too. It's incredibly satisfying to become a one-man army and do runs in the various megacorp buildings. The only time extra runners are necessary is at the very end.

• AoiAoi Registered User regular
    This sounds fantastic, and I'm very close to throwing down $60. One thing concerns me though. Aren't the Moai tools their using specifically made for mobile gaming? :/ It sounds great, but the idea of them basically porting an iPhone game to the pc leaves me less than enthusiastic.

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular

I definitely know about Baldur's Gate EE. Wasteland 2 I'd heard of, but don't know much about it. I'll check it out, but I've played the Shadowrun tabletop RPG a few times, so there's at least that connection there.

BG is still the same old game but with an updated engine right? I like the idea but I don't have enough time to play games as it is so I'll prioritize stuff I haven't already experienced. Like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun.

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Jordan Weisman alone sells me on this.

You have my axe smartlinked Ares Predator III!

MrPsycohed wrote: »
    Omigawd omigawd omigawd omigawd omigawd... No, breathe. Breathe. Be cool. Be cool, man. It might not happen, it's just a Kickstater, that doesn't... necessarily mean... omigaaaaaawd!

Between this and the two BattleTech games we're getting, I'm not sure I can handle it. It's like 2012 rolled around and everything I loved about tabletop gaming is all "we're back, baby, and better than ever!"

Man, they're even setting it in fucking 2050. Hype, chummers. Hype beyond words.

The Renraku arcology went all to shit, deckers became hackers, shadowrunners learned how to swear properly, and a comet fucking ruined everyone's day.

I'll tell you what happened. Goddamn wifi happened. That and the PAN rules.

Don't get me wrong, out regular gaming group is due to change games and we're all leaning back to another shadowrun campaign. But as anyone who's played will tell you, if you have a decker/hacker or rigger in your group, it's like you're playing two different games at times. "Okay everyone, this player's going to try and deck a system, go play playstation and we'll holler when we're done." We've sort of landed on if we DO play, no one will be either of those things; they'll be NPC's that the team hires.

That said, I can't help but wonder how that translates to this turn-based system. In the genesis and SNES games, everything else sort of just paused while you were interfacing. In this turn based system, do those moves happen "on initiative?" Do they just do their thing (more often than 1 turn a round, since they are moving "faster")? Questions abound.