As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NYC/NJ] hangout thread: so, what are you doing this weekend?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    sounds fun, but Im booked till June. :(

• Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    Definitely interested in this game! I'll have to give some thought to a character concept and get back to you on that though.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    :bz I got a wild hair up my ass and I am looking at running a tabletop game again. I probably will not start it for at least another month, I will run it on Saturday evenings most likely (and not every week by any stretch), and plan on the campaign being a series of one shot episodes that are easy for characters to drop into and out of.

The rule system I want to use is Alternity, and the setting is going to be a modern day game, where for whatever reason, all of you who play will be members of a clandestine organization that sends field agents throughout the world to investigate strange and inexplicable paranormal situations, which have seen a steady (and increasing) rise over the past couple decades. The world is likely a handful of months away from an "Event Horizon" of some sort, and the powers that be are both suppressing this knowledge as much as they can while trying to harness the new power these events can offer for their own means.

The best two flavors to think of for world setting are these:

The team investigative and paranormal qualities of this:

art_fringe.jpg

With a dash of the CONSPIRACY! from this:

assassins-creed-2.jpg

If interested, start thinking about some kind of modern-day character you would like to be. Everyone will start a few levels in, and with enough skill points to be a competent and useful member of the party, so don't think like you are making an entry level character. You could have, purely for fun examples:

1) Soldier who has done multiple tours of duty in the middle east and received commendations for your valiant war efforts. People know your name: you are that guy soldiers will insert a "fucking" between your first and last name when talking about you.
    2) Professional Secret Agent from another clandestine agency who had to leave because he couldn't take his mother's bullshit anymore.
    3) Shamed politician with a silver tongue who lost his job in a scandal. You can inspire people and negotiate anything... but your penis on the internet makes it hard to get work.
    4) World Renowned Forensic investigator who has a hard time relating to living people. Might even be mildly crazy.
    5) the greatest doctor who ever lived with terrible bedside manner and a horrible drug addiction.

The options are limitless; all that matters is that you are very good at what you do - we will make the rules reflect it. The personality and the "character" will be more important than the stats anyways, so having a good idea for something fun to play will go a long way.

Don't worry about building a character yet; I'm mostly gauging interest to see if a casual, episodic modern day paranormal conspiracy game is something people would like to have a character for.
    I am a grizzled grizzly bear with a drinking and hooker problem. I have multiple very small groups of friends that each believes my birthday is a different day so that I am always having birthday parties year round. I have a terrible Australian accent.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I would play a dimensional scientist whose first successful transwarp gate experiment destroyed his lab and stranded him in our universe. The major difference between his world and ours is the popularity of 90s prime time Fox shows. The X Files was cancelled after 10 episodes, but Brimstone went eight seasons and two movies. His doppleganger in our world is a homeless subway masturbator.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I would play a dimensional scientist whose first successful transwarp gate experiment destroyed his lab and stranded him in our universe. The major difference between his world and ours is the popularity of 90s prime time Fox shows. The X Files was cancelled after 10 episodes, but Brimstone went eight seasons and two movies. His doppleganger in our world is a homeless subway masturbator.
    oh so I have to play TWO characters? gonna be so busy

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

superb

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It's a tortured existence really. His inspiration for a career as a dimensional scientist was spurred by his disappointment in the cancellation of Sliders, but as he watches the later seasons he always wanted to watch, he thinks that the universe is fucking with him.

Also, he yearns for a return to academia and the Nobel Prizes he could no doubt earn by publishing in his unheard of field, but being mistaken for a serial sex offender really hurts his street cred.

On second thought, "tortured existence" is pretty hyperbolic. It's more like #alternateworldproblems

Deebaser on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    This may very well be the most ragtag group of investigators ever.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Oh and college humor posted a video yesterday about nerd burlesque. It was timely.

• Options
    This may very well be the most ragtag group of investigators ever.
    I'm pretty much always out of the office attending birthday related events. This will work out well since I'll almost always be coming down with explosive diarrhea, shingles, and crotch lice IRL so I won't be able to attend more than 10% of the time.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    You already used the explosive diarrhea ward! You have to wait to reroll that one.

We ought to have BINGO cards of Potential BEAST! Maladies

in all seriousness though, still not sure what I would like to be in a game like that. Hmmmmm.

• Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    I'm going to be a sapient Russian dancing bear with a talent for patter songs. But you can't understand his songs. Because he's still a bear.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    A little funny is good, so long as you are really good at something. The company is bringing you together because you are useful, other issues be damned.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    YUS I WANT PALY GAME.

3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    this sounds neat! are you trying to do a sunday thing again?

• Options
    We can do Sunday again if anyone wants to! 1-3ish start time?

• Options
    A Sunday game sounds awesome

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    we trying this sunday?

also any of you assholes into The Magnetic Fields?

• Options
    Tomorrow is good for us if you want to come down, @Casual Eddy!

Also, the Magnetic Fields are cool, I heard they are doing a thingy in Brooklyn this week I think

• Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    I would love to, but we're in damage control mode with Nathaniel and he might need my support.

3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    No worries, Jedi! Take care of the home front and we will see you soon I am sure :-)

• Options
    :bz
    THE GREAT JERSEY CITY/NYC MARVEL MARATHON
    In which we watch every single Marvel Studios Movie in order, before going to See The Avengers on the Big Screen, in celebration of Kickass movies AND Tape's birthday

Place: Fort Kickass, aka synd and nexus's abode
    Date: HOPING for Saturday the 5th of May, but @tapeslinger needs to see if she can have that day off.
    Time: This will be literally Ten Hours long, AND a trip to the theater. So we are gonna have to start the films early, like 9:30am so that we can make it to the theater before 9pm to see the Avengers.

9:30am
    Iron Man

11:45am
    Incredible Hulk

1:45pm
    Iron Man 2

4:00pm
    Thor

6:00pm
    Captain America

This wraps up around 8:00pm, giving us ample time to make it to our local theater, which absolutely will be airing a 9-10:00pm-ish showing of the film.

This will be an epic display of geekdom. We will order pizzas, have alcohol and other fun stuff on tap, and are going to make this a day of fun and nerdish revelry.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    damn

may 5th :(

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    damn

Drinking beers and watching stuff blow up isn't Cinco De Mayo enough for you?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    damn

we'll watch all the movies with spanish dubbing

• Options
    @syndalis whoa yes, I just put in for that unpaid day off! Far enough away I can save up for it I think

@nexuscrawler why you always gotta be so damn WRONG

• Options
    :bz
    THE GREAT JERSEY CITY/NYC MARVEL MARATHON
    In which we watch every single Marvel Studios Movie in order, before going to See The Avengers on the Big Screen, in celebration of Kickass movies AND Tape's birthday

Place: Fort Kickass, aka synd and nexus's abode
    Date: HOPING for Saturday the 5th of May, but @tapeslinger needs to see if she can have that day off.
    Time: This will be literally Ten Hours long, AND a trip to the theater. So we are gonna have to start the films early, like 9:30am so that we can make it to the theater before 9pm to see the Avengers.

9:30am
    Iron Man

11:45am
    Incredible Hulk

1:45pm
    Iron Man 2

4:00pm
    Thor

6:00pm
    Captain America

This wraps up around 8:00pm, giving us ample time to make it to our local theater, which absolutely will be airing a 9-10:00pm-ish showing of the film.

This will be an epic display of geekdom. We will order pizzas, have alcohol and other fun stuff on tap, and are going to make this a day of fun and nerdish revelry.
    i am unsure if i can make it for most of this..SHIT BALLS...i will need to run for like 5 hours that day, the amount i expect to drink probably means i won't be able to do it on sunday...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    damn

downer spoilers
    that's when dad passed away so I can't really be away from home this year

but dear goodness I'd love to show up, just to punch that jerk Chu in the face

tyrannus on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    assuming i don't have some terrible job by then or whatever, i'm in

• Options
    edited April 2012
    damn

downer spoilers
    that's when dad passed away so I can't really be away from home this year

but dear goodness I'd love to show up, just to punch that jerk Chu in the face
    way to bring us all down :(

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    i added a spoiler

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Beast will suffer from explosive decompression of the anus anyway

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Hmm.....

• Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    So there.

I mean, probably will still be asleep for the first one or two, but eventually... Is your local theater decent?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    do you mean the mall theater?

I'll probably be around for some portion of this.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Would have ask Nexus or Tape, as I haven't been to it yet. It's in the mall out here and it looks fairly nice from the outside.

We won't get an IMAX screen here, but we will get a 10 minute walk to the theater from the party place, so people can leave their stuff here when we go to see it if they want, or get right on the PATH from the theater as well (it's a five minute walk from the movie)

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i can't appreciate IMAX, anyway

*sobs with quiet dignity while scooping out lazy eye*

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Would have ask Nexus or Tape, as I haven't been to it yet. It's in the mall out here and it looks fairly nice from the outside.

We won't get an IMAX screen here, but we will get a 10 minute walk to the theater from the party place, so people can leave their stuff here when we go to see it if they want, or get right on the PATH from the theater as well (it's a five minute walk from the movie)
    It is a completely adequate theater and holy cats the food court... It is like hell on earth. Tasty, tasty hell

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    Mostly when I say "decent" I mean "stadium seating"... not a big IMAX person anyway.