As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    As it is I'm sitting on 25/30:
    http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&details=AAAAA8////DAgQoCggHAAAgAAAIAAAAAOIEIQAAAAAA&todo=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not sure what the best way to go would be though. Main is a Dervish, so figured Vabbian armor would be a good pick to get to 27 despite the cost, but after that really not sure. Maaaybe 5 more titles (lightbringer, UW, Deep, ...?), or Vabbian + 4 cheap armors, which seems like it maybe my best option. Basically looking to not spend much time with the game outside of some casual play to work myself up to 30 - only two of the five rewards above 25 appeal to me (and one is the Mini-golem which I should be able to afford after I finish NM WoC), so going for path of least resistance at this point.

Well, for one I'd go for Kurzick/Luxon armor over Vabbian. Probably costs half as much, plus if you want to farm for it, you can actually just splurge on doing Jade Quarry. In fact, concentrating on buying prestige armor might be your best bet. If you got a Kurzick armor, plus an additional 4 armors, that'd take you right up to 30.

That does mean levelling another character via Factions so that I can actually use the armor, I have no 20s other than Dervish =)

But that does sound in line - seems like I could get like 3 other prestige armors for the cost of Vabbian, and getting up to the Kurzick/Luxon point shouldn't take too long.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&details=AAAAA8////DAgQoCggHAAAgAAAIAAAAAOIEIQAAAAAA&todo=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not sure what the best way to go would be though. Main is a Dervish, so figured Vabbian armor would be a good pick to get to 27 despite the cost, but after that really not sure. Maaaybe 5 more titles (lightbringer, UW, Deep, ...?), or Vabbian + 4 cheap armors, which seems like it maybe my best option. Basically looking to not spend much time with the game outside of some casual play to work myself up to 30 - only two of the five rewards above 25 appeal to me (and one is the Mini-golem which I should be able to afford after I finish NM WoC), so going for path of least resistance at this point.

Well, for one I'd go for Kurzick/Luxon armor over Vabbian. Probably costs half as much, plus if you want to farm for it, you can actually just splurge on doing Jade Quarry. In fact, concentrating on buying prestige armor might be your best bet. If you got a Kurzick armor, plus an additional 4 armors, that'd take you right up to 30.

That does mean levelling another character via Factions so that I can actually use the armor, I have no 20s other than Dervish =)

But that does sound in line - seems like I could get like 3 other prestige armors for the cost of Vabbian, and getting up to the Kurzick/Luxon point shouldn't take too long.

What are you saying here? Any class can use Luxon/Kurzick armor. And you don't need each character to wear a set of armor. One character just takes it to the HoM and displays it. You can use one character for all the armors.

In other news, I still can't bring myself to salvage my Vabbian armor, even though I really should since it'll almost guaranteed get me a couple gems back.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

What are you saying here? Any class can use Luxon/Kurzick armor. And you don't need each character to wear a set of armor. One character just takes it to the HoM and displays it. You can use one character for all the armors.

In other news, I still can't bring myself to salvage my Vabbian armor, even though I really should since it'll almost guaranteed get me a couple gems back.

Nightfall classes (Dervish/Paragon) don't have Luxon/Kurzick sets, so to put one in the HoM I'd have to level a 20 that *can* get one of those sets (basically, everything *but* Dervish/Paragons), but that shouldn't take too long.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Oh weird. I hadn't realized that.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I didn't know nightfall characters didn't have Luxon sets. I guess this changes my current HoM point plans.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited April 2012
    Entaru wrote: »
    I didn't know nightfall characters didn't have Luxon sets. I guess this changes my current HoM point plans.

Eh, what I'm going to end up doing is just creating a Factions character and taking them as far as one or the other's armor merchant. I can then buy the set using stuff from my main. HoM isn't far into EotN, so that won't add much time either. Given the cost difference between the Luxon/Kurzick sets and the Vabbian/Obsidian sets, seems like it'll be worth the effort =)

steejee on
    edited April 2012

Eh, what I'm going to end up doing is just creating a Factions character and taking them as far as one or the other's armor merchant. I can then buy the set using stuff from my main. HoM isn't far into EotN, so that won't add much time either. Given the cost difference between the Luxon/Kurzick sets and the Vabbian/Obsidian sets, seems like it'll be worth the effort =)

My problem is that my paragon is the one with the full HoM banner set. All of my other 20's have been there and none of them put their's on the armor monument. Basically, for my rit to get the Luxon armor would be pretty easy but I'd have to farm out another monument tapestry to display it.

Bah. You don't know how many times I've had to do a stupid amount of time sink stuff like running to a place or whatever because I initially spread my play time out among 3-4 characters. I've honestly had to sit down a few times looking at what I'd need to do for each character to achieve a specific goal and had to decide which character would need the smallest amount of time sink to accomplish the goal. I thought I had gotten past that but it appears there's one more if I want the Luxon armor.

I'm not trying to complain. Just stating the frustrations of someone who wasn't originally playing to fill an HoM and did some things "wrong" when it comes to HoM expediency.

Seidkona on
    The first tapestry you get for just showing up, don't you?

I've already blown all of those in an amazingly non planned fashion.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think you talk to Gwen after peering into the scrying pool.

You just need to take a new character through the first couple of EoTN quests and you'll get a free tapestry for that character.

Huggles on

How does that work? Did you sell them?

I put them up on the character that earned them. not thinking about how much that might be making things harder.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular

This may help you make your decision on salvaging.

I only got a grand total of 2 sapphire back when I expert salvaged my vabbian armor. :(

edited April 2012

I put them up on the character that earned them. not thinking about how much that might be making things harder.

Your HoM points are account-based not character-based.

You can take a new character, get them the Factions armour, take them to the EoTN, get a free tapestry from Gwen, dedicate the armour and it's counted.

Huggles on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »

I only got a grand total of 2 sapphire back when I expert salvaged my vabbian armor. :(

Which is 2 more gems than what you'd get with the armour sitting in storage ;)

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Which is 2 more gems than what you'd get with the armour sitting in storage ;)

Especially when those gems are selling for about 8k to 10k each.

26904.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Had a shot at the Underworld with heroes last night, was pretty easy (but very slow) up until the Four Horsemen, who basically destroyed the Reaper too quickly and booted me out. Hmm. :<

Got the Black Widow though.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Spending too much time pvping instead of working on dat hom. But I find it pretty fun. Spent points on an elementalist build that dumps on people. I guess I'll finish up my hero unlocks then maybe get a few skills for my main derv I can but books for then continue my campaigning.

edited April 2012
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Had a shot at the Underworld with heroes last night, was pretty easy (but very slow) up until the Four Horsemen, who basically destroyed the Reaper too quickly and booted me out. Hmm. :<

Got the Black Widow though.

Yeah I'm not sure how completable UW is with Heroes. I've read basically the same thing on the wiki and forums - up to a point you do fine, but Four Horseman + Dhuum = GL.

steejee on
    edited April 2012
    Sort of off-topic. I don't think there's a single person who isn't super hyped about GW2. And I certainly don't want to detract from that, cause I'm hyped about it too. However, I've also been reading about The Secret World (Funcom's currently in beta MMO), and the skill system seems like it might stimulate the same spot that GW1 players have for mixing skill sets for powerful combos from two classes. This is something GW2 won't have, so I figured I'd toss it out there so people who love that sort of thing (like me) can have a peek too.

I post this because I kinda like the "skill collector and 'deck builder'" mentality that GW1 kinda lets you have, and will miss it in GW2.

Darkewolfe on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So I play Random Arena with chat turned off. Sometimes I turn it back on to see if I missed anything

DSiuP.gif

Aldo wrote: »
    So I play Random Arena with chat turned off. Sometimes I turn it back on to see if I missed anything

And thus we have where you made your tactical mistake.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not sure how completable UW is with Heroes. I've read basically the same thing on the wiki and forums - up to a point you do fine, but Four Horseman + Dhuum = GL.
    Pretty sure 4H is just a matter of your heroes actually healing him. I tried to hold both chokes with a spirit wall and that didn't work, so if I do it again (which I'm really not sure I will given how long it takes), I'd probably just stay at the Reaper and avoid flagging.

Dhuum, afaik, is easily doable with 7 hero support.

Also, I play RA with chat turned on most of the time, and apart from a few bitter 'we lost aka you suck' comments, mostly people are fairly cool. Had a chat with a mesmer on my team about how to build Illusion better while we were going on a win streak, and a few people gave me advice on my monk build to deal with Domination better.

I don't mind the dudes who are "resign quickly" because I think it's fair enough that if you're doing RA for Gladiator, you want one of the good team comps rather than spending 2-3 minutes losing on a bad team comp. The Gladiator rep rewards are significantly better as your winning streak gets longer.

Also, when playing on my Mesmer, I had like 4 monks on my team over an hour. Playing on monk, I had, in a streak, 12 double monk teams and three triple monk teams. Watlol.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    UW is totally doable with heroes, but it is hard, and likely requires some specific skills to deal with it, in HM at least. I know that the leader of the Reddit alliance says it takes him about 1.5 hr to do UW with heroes, but you're probably better off just learning the SC.

i should take my shockwave ele into RA one of these days.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My deaths to the many dangers of Eye of the North.

1. Chased down innocent looking bunnies to a cave beneath a mountain. Found more bunnies below. Found a gorgeous magical tree. Approached. Bunnies turned into mystical ghosts from some netherrealm. Died.

2. Chased down ghosts one by one. Interrupted their dangerous chain lighting spells adequately. Came upon a group of undead circling a large group of ghosts that were not aggressive to me. Decided to pick off a few of the undead. After killing half of them, the group of ghosts break out and attack my party.

3. Made my way through a mountain pass. Spotted a group of ice elementals. Party got slowed and AoE'd to death within 4 seconds. Bitter tears were cried. :<

Conclusion: still haven't made it to the Asura homeland :C

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i love that rabbit cave

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Woo, beat Nightfall last night... one down. Should Factions and Prophecies be a lot faster since I'm already 20 and starting partway through?

Almost at the 20 mini mark... have all the white 1st and 2nd minis, and a couple purples plus Shiro. Just need someone to buy my mini mox so I can afford an armbrace and start on the weapon and armor monuments.

Madpoet on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    proph is slow, regardless where you start. Factions is a bit faster but most of the campaign is level 20 content anyway.

proph is slow, regardless where you start. Factions is a bit faster but most of the campaign is level 20 content anyway.

Proph is also slow due to the bonuses being slow as hell to do and mostly requiring running twice as far as normal. If it wasn't for the endless trek to the southern shiverpeaks the whole campaign would have been a fuck load faster.

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I'M FREE I'M FREEEEEE

Tanner. You have five more to go.

Five.
    Also congratulations, of course

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I want it so bad but Obby armor costs more than I've spent on everything else combined o_o

i'm at 45 including obby armor but if i wanted to go for 50 it would cost several million gold, in addition to several hundred hours of play

so

• SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    Ok, I am closing in on finishing Nightfall and I think I've finally reached a point where I'm not stumbling around completely blind. Could I get an invite from one of you kind gentlemen? IGN is Seku Aman.

steam_sig.png
    done

• VerboseVerbose That one guy over there. That guy. Registered User regular
    Hey, so I don't know if this is commonly noted, but Shiro Taguchi can f*** right off. I get through that entire mission without too much trouble, kill the lich guy, and then with my entire team focusing on Shiro he is all like "lolno" and then we all died.

So yeah I guess I need some help there at some point...

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Verbose wrote: »
    Hey, so I don't know if this is commonly noted, but Shiro Taguchi can f*** right off. I get through that entire mission without too much trouble, kill the lich guy, and then with my entire team focusing on Shiro he is all like "lolno" and then we all died.

So yeah I guess I need some help there at some point...

Three main strategies for Shiro in Gate of Madness:

1. Shadowsong + Displacement/Aegis. Shiro can get rid of conditions easily, but Shadowsong is blindspam at its finest. Combined with high block, Shiro can't get rid of blind (because he has to hit a target with an attack to remove conditions). This should be combined with other strategies because this doesn't guarantee that Shiro won't outheal the damage, just that he won't waste you once he hits 25% health (which is when he begins spamming Impossible Odds).

2. Stance removal. Battle Scars is Shiro's main healing skill, and Wild Throw or another stance removal skill can prevent him from healing back the damage you've already done.

3. Pain Inverter/Spoil Victor. Shiro does mass AoE damage and has craploads of health. Spamming Pain Inverter and/or Spoil Victor every chance you get means Shiro kills himself within seconds. Try to time the hexes until after Shiro uses Impossible Odds, so he doesn't immediately remove it.

I use a combination of Shadowsong, Aegis, and Pain Inverter, myself. With a decently runed-up variant of 7PS I can take out Shiro in HM in about a minute. Also, don't forget to glitch your heroes around the temple in order to grab the bonuses, because those are basically a free conset that stacks with any other effects currently on you.

Darklyre on
    Verbose wrote: »
    Hey, so I don't know if this is commonly noted, but Shiro Taguchi can f*** right off.

Yeah, I find it's pretty commonly noted.

The problem with that guy is you need to take a build which can deal with him, such as Darklyre suggested. In which case he becomes pathetically simple, no middle ground. Anything else is just asking for a hard time.

I had 7 hero support versus Shiro, and aside from having to time my interrupts carefully, it was pretty faceroll. We killed him before the liche.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I did none of those things, just slugged it out with hm. It didn't seem that hard of a fight, he really doesn't do much damage himself. And then the mission bugged and wouldn't complete. :(

26904.png