As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Didn't McCain do that EXACT thing on how he would catch Osama Bin Laden?

"I won't tell you, elect me and I will do it. Trust me. For reals."

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Didn't McCain do that EXACT thing on how he would catch Osama Bin Laden?

"I won't tell you, elect me and I will do it. Trust me. For reals."

Yep.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    God I love that short, Ronaldo. Cracks me the fuck up.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/us/politics/romney-says-obama-is-hiding-his-true-policy-aims.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto
    Mr. Romney asked on what other issues Mr. Obama would disclose his plans only after re-election.

“He wants us to re-elect him so we can find out what he will do,” Mr. Romney said.

“His intent is on hiding,” he said. “You and I are going to have to do the seeking.”

This has been a presiding theme over this whole campaign season.

"The first term has been a scam! A charade! All Obama has been doing with his pro-military centrism and business-friendly economic approach is lulling us to sleep! Can't you see?!"

Which, I mean, if that REALLY is Obama's plan . . . bra-vo, sir. Well played.

Well I guess they can't really use the "Who IS Barack Obama? What do we REALLY know about him?" line anymore. Or rather, they updated it to this - "he'll do everything you hate! We promise!"

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm thinking whatsherface from Arizona will be tapped for VP. Or at least a contender.

She's about as far from Massachusetts as you can get, she's certifiably Tea Party-style insane, and she would make Mitt Romney look like a goddamned Franklin-esque statesman.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I'm thinking whatsherface from Arizona will be tapped for VP. Or at least a contender.

She's about as far from Massachusetts as you can get, she's certifiably Tea Party-style insane, and she would make Mitt Romney look like a goddamned Franklin-esque statesman.

Also would shift the Latino vote from 7:3 to 4:1 all by herself.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

The GOP might think she'd be good for the woman vote.

You know, b/c she has one of those... what's the word... vaginas.

And apparently the Arizona GOP thinks that government + vaginas is a winning combination.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Now that this is a presidential campaign thread and not a primary thread I have something to share.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/367/ground-game

I completely forgot that Democrats for McCain was a thing. How can you be so dedicated to your democratic candidate, in this case Hillary Clinton, that you'd help the campaign of the opposite party candidate despite all logical arguments.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Now that this is a presidential campaign thread and not a primary thread I have something to share.

I completely forgot that Democrats for McCain was a thing. How can you be so dedicated to your democratic candidate, in this case Hillary Clinton, that you'd help the campaign of the opposite party candidate despite all logical arguments.

Either look at the generational thread or the Zimmerman thread. Two things: Boomers and racism.

No I don't.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Yes, but with all of the new laws passing that make it exceptionally difficult, if not illegal, for Latinos to vote I don't think that will be as much of an advatange as we're predicting.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

There are a couple of theories, there:

1) They weren't for-real, they were an astroturf movement created by the Republicans in hopes of hurting the Democrats in the general.
    2) Racism.

• Options
    They come off as real and pissed off by just how brutal the primary campaign got in those final months.

We'll probably never see another primary go on as long as that one without a clear nominee. Even this one right now it has been Romney's to lose since 2008, let alone the last few months.

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    So it's the UK version of The Office?

Huh? Did they make some kind of knockoff of The Office in the UK?

The American Office is the remake of the U.K. Office, itself a remake of the Japanese version.

Fixed that for you.

It kinda has to be a spinoff, actually, since they establish David Brent as a character in ours, too.

#missed the joke

I'd post the thing I'm referencing, but the Invisible Hand of NBC Universal has removed all trace of it from the universe.

Was the thing a reference to the Chilean version which they are all copies of?
    la_ofis.jpg

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    So it's the UK version of The Office?

Huh? Did they make some kind of knockoff of The Office in the UK?

The American Office is the remake of the U.K. Office, itself a remake of the Japanese version.

Fixed that for you.

It kinda has to be a spinoff, actually, since they establish David Brent as a character in ours, too.

#missed the joke

I'd post the thing I'm referencing, but the Invisible Hand of NBC Universal has removed all trace of it from the universe.

Was the thing a reference to the Chilean version which they are all copies of?
    la_ofis.jpg

Haha, fantastic.

No, there was a SNL skit when Steve Carell hosted about how Gervais stole the idea from Japan. It's pretty hilarious

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    “I did have a Reagan bumper sticker on my locker in the third grade,” Ryan offered.

“This guy was born conservative!” Romney quipped.

*headdesk*
    *headdesk*
    *headdesk*

• Options
    ...that counts as a "quip"?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    How much capital would it be to rename 'conservative' to 'regressive' cause I'm pretty sure the stuff they claim they want to protect doesn't actually exist anymore.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    ...that counts as a "quip"?

"quip" uses less ink and is easier to read then "stiltingly observed in a meager attempt at humor".

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I know it's more of a joke, but I'm gonna ask for real.

Do they really believe, I mean truly, that this county would be better off if women and minorities couldn't vote, we were ran by strict theocratic values, and that poor people should give more money to the rich?

I mean, is it just a show they put on for the hard cores or is this something that actually goes on in their brains?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/us/politics/romney-says-obama-is-hiding-his-true-policy-aims.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto
    Mr. Romney asked on what other issues Mr. Obama would disclose his plans only after re-election.

“He wants us to re-elect him so we can find out what he will do,” Mr. Romney said.

“His intent is on hiding,” he said. “You and I are going to have to do the seeking.”

This has been a presiding theme over this whole campaign season.

"The first term has been a scam! A charade! All Obama has been doing with his pro-military centrism and business-friendly economic approach is lulling us to sleep! Can't you see?!"

Which, I mean, if that REALLY is Obama's plan . . . bra-vo, sir. Well played.

Well I guess they can't really use the "Who IS Barack Obama? What do we REALLY know about him?" line anymore. Or rather, they updated it to this - "he'll do everything you hate! We promise!"

Man, I wish I hadn't deleted it, but there used to be a version of the "who is Atlas?" poster from Bioshock 1 that had been photoshopped as, "who is Obama?" floating around. Looks like it could get some use again.

Boring7 on
  • Options

Do they really believe, I mean truly, that this county would be better off if women and minorities couldn't vote, we were ran by strict theocratic values, and that poor people should give more money to the rich?

I mean, is it just a show they put on for the hard cores or is this something that actually goes on in their brains?

Yes, there really are people who believe that.

• Options
    If you can think of it, or even if you can't, there is someone out there that probably believes it.

• Options
    I know there are people. I mean our our elected representatives is general and Romney, Santorem, and Ryan specifically.

I'd expect such men to be intelligent enough to know we can't regress, but pretend they want to in order to stir up the base. Are they true believers or acting for votes?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    What's the old line? "Tell a lie often enough and you'll start to believe it yourself?"

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Please don't make me post the Weyrich video again.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I know there are people. I mean our our elected representatives is general and Romney, Santorem, and Ryan specifically.

I'd expect such men to be intelligent enough to know we can't regress, but pretend they want to in order to stir up the base. Are they true believers or acting for votes?

You're more likely to find true believers among the voters. They don't usually have the education, access to better knowledge or are conditioned to thrive in their ignorance. The leadership usually are smart enough not to buy into the bullshit but there are exceptions especially with Tea Partiers gaining traction in top positions. That said, even the upper classes can be ignorant or malevolent enough to believe in social darwinism since it benefits them politically.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular

Sometimes?

I mean, that's the classic "Team Evil v. Team Stupid" question.
    stupid-or-evil.jpg

But generally speaking most of them believe, at least a bit, that life was better in the 1950s when they were children and that our current state of affairs is because of moral dereliction and creeping communism.

It's not like they admit to themselves they hate black people, but in their subconscious black = poor = lazy/selfish because only lazy/selfish people are unable to earn more money than they spend.

And you know, there's even a credible point to their theory that feminism did bad things. If women were proper domestic slaves and the average household only had one income again prices would HAVE to be down where a single income could still support a household. But just as minimum wage hikes do (slowly) get chased price hikes as businesses find they can get away with those higher prices, so to did the working women cause prices to rise as two-income families had more money to be fleeced.

Every twist and turn in their ill-logic has a pattern, it's just buried under fallacies and fail.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I think the real swing in the election between a big win and a close run thing for Obama will come at the debates. If he can get one with fair rules and is willing to ask Romney tough questions based on things he has said in the primary then Romney will be destroyed. His positions as stated in the primary cannot win an election, he has no chance. If Romney can avoid all real debates, and just focus on his main campaign policy of 'I'm a white guy with a normal name and good hair' it will be close.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Once Obama secures his second term, he'll stop blinking and reveal his true form!
    CT.3153.png
    Chrono_Trigger__s___Lavos_by_Sooperkreep.jpg

?
    JZYTY.jpg
    "Life... Dreams... Hope....
    Where do they come from?
    ...And where did they go?
    All these things... I am going to destroy!

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    brilliant.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I think the real swing in the election between a big win and a close run thing for Obama will come at the debates. If he can get one with fair rules and is willing to ask Romney tough questions based on things he has said in the primary then Romney will be destroyed. His positions as stated in the primary cannot win an election, he has no chance. If Romney can avoid all real debates, and just focus on his main campaign policy of 'I'm a white guy with a normal name and good hair' it will be close.

Which part is the normal name, Willard or Mittens?

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

If you're looking for Tea Party nutjob governor from the southwest with a vagina, I think you need to come east one state. If that's the direction Mitt's going to go, my money's on Susana Martinez. She's like Jan Brewer and Marco Rubio smashed together in a single Palin-endorsed package.

My real (fake) money is still on Ryan, though.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Willard Mitt Romney is his birth name.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Willard Mitt Romney is his birth name.

And I'd argue that none of those are normal names.

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    It's not "normal" but it sure as shit sounds white.

• Options
    Lavos Core Romney vs Safer Sepheroth Obama?

One have traverse time and the other can summon a comet that can blow up Jupiter. Who will win?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    BTW I was aware that The Office started in the UK, I think that was just intended as some bad Poe's Law trolling. Sorry guys. Though now I need to find this Japan sketch, so it all worked out for the best.

And man, Paul Ryan as a running mate? That would be two powerful hairlines for Obama to overcome.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am angered at Bob McDonnell for ruining my perfect prediction by his zealous overreaching into women's uteri.

Jerkface.

This discussion has been closed.