As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo III] The old thread.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    in d2, blood raven was the second quest out of six for that act (out of 5 acts including the expansion, 4 otherwise)
    the d3 beta only has up to one of the earliest quests, and caps you at level 13

and it's even less because d3 has inferno mode

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    oh god now I need to check my b.net account for a beta, watch my hope and dreams being slapped around

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    I didn't really like Discipline. I very rarely used anything that needed Discipline, and when I did I didn't have enough of it and it didn't regenerate fast enough.

But beta is beta.

Yeah, I'm on board as not liking discipline. I'm hoping for a d3exp pack resource retooling, kinda like WoW did

that said, that video was pretty sexy

valiance on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say the D3 beta is up to Blood Raven, because you can seriously make it to Blood Raven in about 20 minutes. I'd say it's basically like going up to Tristram. Plus there's like 5 waypoints.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Long story short its a small portion of the first act. This beta is not really content testing so much as stress and some system testing.

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    "I just wrote like three pages of a reply and the forums lost it when I clicked Preview. … *cry*

Ok what it boiled down to was:
    Read my previous post. It seems like some people glossed over it.
    I’m happy most of you are happy about the change, and I know you’re going to love the game.
    Those few of you who don’t like it, you’ll love the game too because you’re wrong. ;)
    Item pools are not limited by Act, or Boss, or anything like that. While you’ll have a better chance to get better items in Act IV Inferno, you could get those same items in Act I, or even Hell.
    Our item pool philosophy is that you can break an urn and get the best item in the game – it’s all a matter of chance. Running more difficult areas and taking on more difficult enemies will not always be the most efficient way to find upgrades.
    Previously, Inferno difficulty was mlvl 61 across all of Inferno, and now it starts at mlvl 61 and ramps up quickly in Act I and ends somewhere around 65 (?) in Act IV. We’ve only increased the difficulty.
    I’m aware of internal bets on how many months it will take someone to beat Inferno.
    A flat Inferno of mlvl 61 had a small curb of difficulty, and once that was over you had nowhere else to progress and no reason to. That’s boredom.
    Boredom doesn’t generally come from content repetition, it comes from lack of ability to progress, or ease of progression.
    By having a sharp increase in difficulty in Inferno we can encourage progression without having a brick wall of difficulty.

I think that was about it. In any case, as I said, I know the vast majority of you are excited about the game, the change we made, and trying to progress in Inferno. Just don’t feel bad when you have to go back to Hell. :) "

That is what Bashiok just said. So Act4 hell has the chance to drop the best items in the game just unlikely to drop compared to Act4 inferno, I like this. I really like this. I'm happy with the way they changed Inferno.

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    the beta only has the equivalent of up to blood raven in d2
    except even less

I'm glad someone said this, because I agree with it (mostly). I mean, I think its a LITTLE further than Blood Raven in D2 (say rescuing Deckard Cain), but yes, people judging the whole game based on beta content is INSANE to me. NOT because its a "beta" (that's BS, the stuff in here is the same as live), but because all you can see is the tip of the iceberg. Theres no real uniques to speak of, no skill combos of note, you really can't DO any of the cool stuff yet. What would you do in Diablo 2 if the game stopped at Cain and level 15 or so? There would be nothing, and it would blow ass.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Want....beta....
    Are people at least allowed to stream content so I can feed my need and at least watch?

I can't wait a whole six more weeks to play! GEEEEEZ!

Knock yourself out!

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Back when the beta was seriously hot news, there were a bunch of people streaming gameplay on twitchtv too.

Fake edit; looks like there's a good two dozen'ish people still doing so this very minute.

Real edit: http://www.twitch.tv/search?only=live&q=diablo+3

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Well, this certainly explains the recent slow-down issues.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4254522802
    Yes, we are aware of this. This was one of the bugs that the Mists of Pandaria Beta caused accidentally in the Diablo III Beta. We should have it fixed with our next tools patch.

Thanks for posting the work around!
    You should check to see if Agent.exe re-built itself inside that folder. Agent.exe is our toolset and should not be causing lag. If it is moved or deleted from a folder, it should automatically rebuild itself.

I'll try this later tonight and see if it smooths things out. It's absolutely terrible that their "toolset" be bogging down a running game. This is one of those bugs I'm glad they caught while still in beta.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    sumwar wrote: »
    "Previously, Inferno difficulty was mlvl 61 across all of Inferno, and now it starts at mlvl 61 and ramps up quickly in Act I and ends somewhere around 65 (?) in Act IV. We’ve only increased the difficulty."
    /smug

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    the beta only has the equivalent of up to blood raven in d2
    except even less

That's a bit of an exaggeration. D2 was Den of Evil -> Stony Plains -> Blood Raven. That's one waypoint. D3 has 4 waypoints, 5-6 special monster encounters, the Pillars event and like a dozen areas. Oh also there's a Den of Evil in there sometimes too. Playing through normally you'll be level 9 at the end (the hard cap being 13). I think a better analogy people have come up with is the Countess.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    Cold Plains*

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Do we have any indication of how long the first act actually is? The quests seems to be a great deal more complicated and involved than they were in 2, so "the first major quest" and "the first boss encounter" mean very different things.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Yeah I think people who say that the beta is the equivalent of blood raven haven't played D2 in awhile. Or they are talking in proportions, in which case I think they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, people molesting the client discovered that there are 16 waypoint locations in Act I of Diablo 3.

The beta takes you up to number 5? Looks like about a third of the way through. That's probably the best metric you're going to get.

Comparing number of zone transitions in Diablo 2 is just not sensible because the areas are generated completely differently. All the overworld areas are huge expansive fields, compared to D3's much more focused maps (that we've seen).

Scosglen on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Well, people molesting the client discovered that there are 16 waypoint locations in Act I of Diablo 3.

The beta takes you up to number 5? Looks like about a third of the way through. That's probably the best metric you're going to get.

Comparing number of zone transitions in Diablo 2 is just not sensible because the areas are generated completely differently. All the overworld areas are huge expansive fields, compared to D3's much more focused maps (that we've seen).

Alright, assuming this is a better metric for comparison, that would bring you to Stony Field/Dark Wood, as there are 9 waypoints in Act 1, including the Rogue Encampment. Which would put it somewhere around old tristram- but again, that's not a great point of comparison, because there's a great deal more quest content in D3.

I don't understand why there needs to be a specific comparison. The beta is just a sample of content and trying to quantify how much of a sample other than "about 1/3 of the first act" is just silly. If people are really worried they didn't see enough in the beta, they weren't paying attention. If they are worried D3 will be too short, remember what we've seen is "1/3 of the first Act".

I've gotten more enjoyable gameplay out of this beta than I ever did in the entire first act of D2. There's a lot more variety in terms of maps, even though they are less "open". There are way more random events, champions, places, etc., some of which I've only seen once due to the randomness of it all. You get to try a half dozen really great skills (in D2 you might use 2 skills by level 10) for 5 different classes, each with their own class-specific gear. You get a great boss fight equal to or better than Andariel. And we got hardcore.

I am so looking forward to the rest of this game.

I think I completed the beta the first time around in about 2 hours. If that extrapolated across the whole game (it doesn't), that'd be about 24 hours from start to finish of Act IV. Plus 4 other characters (like WoW, with twink gear on hand and experience, this is always much faster) plus Hardcore dabbling plus all of those times 3 more difficulty levels, plus arenas, plus farming for gear/crafting stuff.

Napkin math tells me that the Beta's duration should have me able to play this game for roughly eight billion hours.

I may have forgotten to carry a two somewhere, however.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Napkin math tells me that the Beta's duration should have me able to play this game for roughly eight billion hours.

I may have forgotten to carry a two somewhere, however.

You did, your numbers should come out to around 16 billion.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yes I am not literally quantifying the amount of content, just trying to use a reference point from a past game to illustrate how little is on the beta

doesn't matter the number of waypoints, bosses, etc. because they're different games. it's just an example.

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    I am guessing that a standard first time play through of D3 normal will be about

I am guessing that a standard first time play through of D3 normal will be about the same length of time as a first time play through of D2 normal was.

[Forums are totally fucked for me on IE now: no editing, eating posts]

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Anyone going to midnight release? I don't plan to. I am going to play this game for the next 10+ years until Diablo 4 comes out. So I'll just get it the next day.

Also I think there's enough content. 4 difficulties with 5 characters and I am gonna dabble into hardcore after I get deep into softcore. I heard Bashiok say there is an internal bet on how many MONTHS it will take for the first person to beat Inferno which is interesting. Seems like inferno really is designed for the most hardcore players:). I'm not worried about shortage of content.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Anyone going to midnight release? I don't plan to. I am going to play this game for the next 10+ years until Diablo 4 comes out. So I'll just get it the next day.

It's out on the 15th and me and my buddies just happen to have a LAN on the 16th; I can wait one day. There'll be lots of pizza and coke and yelling about loot!

• DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Notice that waypoints only show up in the direct path of the quests in act 1. There's extra content off road like the den of the fallen and probably a lot more sidequests we haven't seen in the beta.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    As long as I have it by the 18th, I won't be too put off. It's a bit of a gamble since I'm buying through Amazon.com rather than .ca (the previously mentioned gift certificate shenanigans), but at the same time, I wouldn't lose any sleep if they told me they couldn't get me the CE after all and I just cancelled the order and bought the digital regular edition that day/night/whatever.

Definitely won't be waiting in line at a midnight release though. Especially early in the week without vacation left.

... if it arrives on Tues/Wed/Thurs, I wouldn't be surprised if I fell ill on Friday, however. >.>

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

It's out on the 15th and me and my buddies just happen to have a LAN on the 16th; I can wait one day. There'll be lots of pizza and coke and yelling about loot!

Jelly....

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular

Also I think there's enough content. 4 difficulties with 5 characters and I am gonna dabble into hardcore after I get deep into softcore. I heard Bashiok say there is an internal bet on how many MONTHS it will take for the first person to beat Inferno which is interesting. Seems like inferno really is designed for the most hardcore players:). I'm not worried about shortage of content.

I got CE preordered at Gamestop, if they have a midnight release I will most definitely be going.

Why wait in line when you can get a digital copy? Unless you're ordering the CE what's the point of owning a box the game came in?
    Not to mention being able to play immediately on release...

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Took the week off, will be sitting at my computer at midnight on the 15th punching demons.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Why wait in line when you can get a digital copy? Unless you're ordering the CE what's the point of owning a box the game came in?

Pretty easy to pre-install the game even if you got the CE.

The drive home will be the only delay I will be experiencing on release night.

steam_sig.png
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    You can preload even with the CD? I thought it was only an option for those who pre ordered the digital edition.

steam_sig.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    You can preload even with the CD? I thought it was only an option for those who pre ordered the digital edition.

Yes, do tell.
    I ordered off Amazon just so I can get a faster install from the CD instead of leaving my computers on all night and then some to download. But if I can pre-download from Blizzard and then just drop my key in when I get the game...then I will have a FREE COASTER!!! :o

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Some people like to own physical copies of games/things.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting til my amazon shipment gets here. worst case it means I'm a couple of days late, but really it should be here Tuesday (I'm a prime member)

I sleep late enough that I probably won't even have to wait impatiently :D

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I bet that it will be 3 weeks to a month before Inferno gets beaten. With millions of fans playing on day 1, I foresee atleast one skill / combo / exploit being found that allows a super progression.

Anyone remember firewall sorc in d2 xpac? When it was first released me and my 4 friends were on the top of the ladder for the first 93 levels because we got the game early and logged on as soon as servers went up (which went up a few hours early). My buddy didn't start playing until 6-7 hours after us and was able to solo up with a firewall sorc and beat us to lvl 95. Everyone single one of us was linehopped on the ladder by a sorcerer, all of which were presumably firewall sorc.

I foresee something similar.

edit: unless ofcourse Blizzard is proactive in tracking progression and is actively patching to make sure this does not happen. But no gaming company seems to be able to keep up with that sort of thing.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    I do remember all those "Sorc only" games that we used to play. Clearing the foothills over and over until hitting level 99. Didn't even need much in firewall to be effective.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Squabman wrote: »
    I bet that it will be 3 weeks to a month before Inferno gets beaten. With millions of fans playing on day 1, I foresee atleast one skill / combo / exploit being found that allows a super progression.

Anyone remember firewall sorc in d2 xpac? When it was first released me and my 4 friends were on the top of the ladder for the first 93 levels because we got the game early and logged on as soon as servers went up (which went up a few hours early). My buddy didn't start playing until 6-7 hours after us and was able to solo up with a firewall sorc and beat us to lvl 95. Everyone single one of us was linehopped on the ladder by a sorcerer, all of which were presumably firewall sorc.

I foresee something similar.

edit: unless ofcourse Blizzard is proactive in tracking progression and is actively patching to make sure this does not happen. But no gaming company seems to be able to keep up with that sort of thing.

The plus side is that I don't care if X amount of people beat Inferno in 3 hours let alone 3 weeks or months. I'll be playing at a pace that is enjoyable for me and their progression will not affect me. The only people i'm worried about keeping up with are my friends, and I typically play a bit more than them so it's usually not an issue in the first place.

I also don't care about ladders either which helps :D

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So apparently my client just will not patch at all

this is pretty shitty

I looked through the Beta forums and lots of people have this issue, but there's no blue response I've seen

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
This discussion has been closed.