As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadowrun | This Thread's got Black Ice, Chummer. Find the New One.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    It would be awesome if a copy of the latest edition of the PnP game was a tier reward.

steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Wow he's half way there with almost a month to go. I don't see how it could fail.

Steam: offday
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Nice.

Wasteland 2, Dead State, and now Shadowrun.

We now get two Shadowrun games.

How's them apples?

EDIT

Unless Shadowrun Online has been toasted.

Sheep on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I actually really liked the Shadowrun fps for what it was (just pretend it wasn't called Shadowrun), but this sounds awesome.

Never had the good fortune to play any of the old Shadowrun stuff in it's hayday, so this sounds like something the world definitely needs since I'm certainly not the only one. Don't think I'll be able to back it because of reasons, but I don't think it's going to be a problem considering where it's at already.

Yay!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I actually really liked the Shadowrun fps for what it was (just pretend it wasn't called Shadowrun), but this sounds awesome.

Yeah, that's the thing about the 360 Shadowrun: it was apparently a pretty good game. It just had the Shadowrun name slapped on and some token elements from the lore shoehorned into the game. (They turned dwarves into essense-draining vampires.)

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Great FPS game.

Bad Shadowrun game.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So tell me about the P&P game since 2nd edition. I haven't been keeping up.

Let's see... Deus (the Renraku Arcology's AI) went rouge, killed a bunch of people, got free and crashed the Matrix a second time during Novatech's IPO thanks to Winternight. (Fuchi's successor corp. Fuchi got ripped apart and part of it became Novatech. So when a megacorp does an IPO, yeah it was a bit of a big deal. Winternight you might remember from the Threats sourcebook.)

Thus the Matrix is now wireless. Pocket secretaries can now be decks, everything is now wireless with Augmented Reality (essentially turn hacker (not deckers) into cyber mages). Cap Chaos is dead (as was most of the Shadownet) but Fastjack is now running the show.

Dunkelzhan is still dead but his "brother" Ghostwalker came back and took over Denver (like literally kicked out Aztechnology and told the rest "I own this city, obey my laws and we're cool.")

There's also been a few shake-ups here and there. Aztechnology renamed themselves (too much bad blood under the old name). Yamatetsu renamed themselves as well and moved out of Japan to Vladivostok and they have a Free Spirit on their Board of Directors. AIs are more open about themselves now and there's more then just the original 3 (Deus, Megara and the military one that helped Echo Mirage).

Oh yeah, Haley's Comet... that threw a wrench into things...

newSig.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    So tell me about the P&P game since 2nd edition. I haven't been keeping up.

Let's see... Deus (the Renraku Arcology's AI) went rouge, killed a bunch of people, got free and crashed the Matrix a second time during Novatech's IPO thanks to Winternight. (Fuchi's successor corp. Fuchi got ripped apart and part of it became Novatech. So when a megacorp does an IPO, yeah it was a bit of a big deal. Winternight you might remember from the Threats sourcebook.)

Thus the Matrix is now wireless. Pocket secretaries can now be decks, everything is now wireless with Augmented Reality (essentially turn hacker (not deckers) into cyber mages). Cap Chaos is dead (as was most of the Shadownet) but Fastjack is now running the show.

Dunkelzhan is still dead but his "brother" Ghostwalker came back and took over Denver (like literally kicked out Aztechnology and told the rest "I own this city, obey my laws and we're cool.")

There's also been a few shake-ups here and there. Aztechnology renamed themselves (too much bad blood under the old name). Yamatetsu renamed themselves as well and moved out of Japan to Vladivostok and they have a Free Spirit on their Board of Directors. AIs are more open about themselves now and there's more then just the original 3 (Deus, Megara and the military one that helped Echo Mirage).

Oh yeah, Haley's Comet... that threw a wrench into things...

How about the mechanics and level of support for 3rd and 4th?

Though I suppose I should be asking this stuff in Crit. Failures, really.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    The guys from cliffhanger updated the site for SO.

shadowrun.com/

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the funding went up 12 grand in the twenty minutes I spent looking at the info.

Also, HOLY SHIT, Shadowrun is back! Finally! And from people who actually know Shadowrun stuff!

Actually kinda worried about this surge in renewed IPs and devs; they can't all be great.

• BreadsticksBreadsticks Registered User new member
    Awesome. I should dust off my SNES copy.

Animation isn't the illusion of life; it is life. ~Chuck Jones
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    What'd Haley's Comet do?

JtgVX0H.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Meiz wrote: »

I just saw the video and laughed pretty hard at that part.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    It passed 200'000 a little while ago and is now 50% funded.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    What'd Haley's Comet do?
    The PnP equivalent to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

steam_sig.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    What'd Haley's Comet do?

Spiked magic a bit. Naturally occurring Oricalcum started appearing (but only when the comet was near), and there was a second wave of UGE where people started getting spikes, extra eyes, fur...
    Luckily they make up less then .1% of the population.

Then of course there were the doomsday cults and whatnot.

Rules wise, 3rd Ed streamlined the rules a bit (no more skill web). 4th was pretty much a complete overhaul (including removing Karma and replacing it with Edge.)

newSig.jpg
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    I'm kind of curious. I didn't read many of the old novels, bit I did read that first trilogy of Shadowrun books back in the day (I think the first one was Never Deal With A Dragon). Anyone know if there are any decent recent novels for the series? Always loved that setting.

Not really.
    The most recent novels were based on the ActionClix characters (think HeroClix, but full action figure sized) but that was years ago.

newSig.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm really excited for this. As someone who sold a stack of X-Men comics back in 1989 to get the first edition of the hardcover rules, I can't explain how a real CRPG of it makes me feel. The Genesis and SNES games were alright, but this is what I've been waiting for.

I believe at one point there was supposed to be a Shadowrun: Assassin CRPG game or something wasn't there? I'm thinking like 15 or 16 years ago?

Oh hey, how's the most recent edition of Shadowrun anyway?

Esh on
    I still remember Assassin. You were gonna play a female (can't remember if human or elf) named Solitare. A couple little paragraphs in a game magazine once then nothing ever after.

To this day I use her as one of my legendary tabletop characters.

newSig.jpg
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Not really.
    The most recent novels were based on the ActionClix characters (think HeroClix, but full action figure sized) but that was years ago.

Yeah, that's a shame. I'm finding a grand total of one novel put out around a year and a half ago that appears to be a collection of short stories put out around the time of the 20th anniversary rulebook (even uses the same cover art) called Spells and Chrome, but that's about it.

Considering how much things have changed, I'd say we're due for some new material.

newSig.jpg
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    How are the new rules? I know they came out with that 20th Anniversary book that clarified some of the 4th ed. stuff, right? Is that worth checking out? Has anyone run (or played) a game with that ruleset?

steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'd prefer a 3D game, but this sounds pretty great too.

(Bloodlines style, that is.)

I have the 20th Ed book. The rules are... yikes.

Complex. I'd planned on running something, but there's so much to keep track of!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    The 20th Ann book also adds some things from some of the sourcebooks so it's not just guns and chrome.
    Tip: don't worry about bioware at first and if your players don't have magic or hacking, hand wave it for the time being.

The major difficulty has always been getting everyone (the street Sam, the rigger, the decker/hack, and Mage) to work together. Don't worry about PANs and whatnot until you're ready for them.

newSig.jpg
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    This is beautiful.

that... that's really all I have to say.

steam_sig.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'd prefer a 3D game, but this sounds pretty great too.

(Bloodlines style, that is.)

It's called Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I'm glad it's 2D and tactical, it allows for a lot more depth. We saw what FPSing with the Shadowrun license did.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    How would I go about pledging (read pre-ordering) for myself and a friend? Create a second KickStart account?

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Jordan Weisman alone sells me on this.

You have my axe smartlinked Ares Predator Thunderbolt TDR-5SE (jumpjets!)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I'm not really familiar with the Shadowrun franchise, from what I gather it sounds like Arcanum mashed up with Neuromancer. In any event I'm really excited about any CRPG that's set outside the typical fantasy archtype. I'll have to check on this a bit more, sounds like the newest game doesn't do the series justice. How does the SNES game hold up nowadays?

Bluecyan wrote: »
    I'm not really familiar with the Shadowrun franchise, from what I gather it sounds like Arcanum mashed up with Neuromancer. In any event I'm really excited about any CRPG that's set outside the typical fantasy archtype. I'll have to check on this a bit more, sounds like the newest game doesn't do the series justice. How does the SNES game hold up nowadays?

Meh. If you want a better taste, play the Genesis one.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Soul Hackers is basically a Shadowrun JRPG, if you have an import-capable Saturn/PS1.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2012
    There was also a Mega-CD Shadowrun game...

Esh on
    edited April 2012
    That I'm helping to translate. ;)

SHADOW_MONTHSLATER.png

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14062.msg204853.html#msg204853

Beta screens there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

"Homocide"?

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Got a quick question. Will this be turn based like Baldur's Gate or Fallout or something else altogether? If else, please provide an example :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Got a quick question. Will this be turn based like Baldur's Gate or Fallout or something else altogether? If else, please provide an example :)

I don't think anyone knows.

• What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    I'm in. I did the same for Wasteland. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Now stop bumping this thread so Wasteland can get more attention.