As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

vmtdB.gif

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1.  Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
2.  Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious, right?

3.  If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster. Valve games are typically the only packs that let you do this, and even then it sometimes doesn't work.

4.  Why isn't {Insert Game Here} available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire.  Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game. This very thread is a great place to ask!

5.  How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.  

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.  

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not. Hint: you probably do.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon.  Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play?  Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide!  Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!"  It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.  

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

And now, for your amusement, comic edits!
fpota.jpg
steamprayer.jpg
trainsj.jpg
contestvd.jpg

//@HiT BiT made the crab because he is our God-King

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
minor incident on

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    New thread smell! Serve the Newell! That is all.

EDIT: That is not all:
    K0UGj.png

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    For @Handgimp:

Handgimp wrote: »
    New thread time?

I'm about to run out the door to work, then right after that it's off to PAX East. Here's a repost for great justice:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

If someone would be a dear and quote this into the next thread, that'd be lovely.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am disappointed my comic has not made it into the OP, despite it now having two different sections devoted to them. :(

Gaslight on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I am disappointed my comic has not made it into the OP, despite it now having two different sections devoted to them. :(

Where's your comic? I've been off the internets for a couple weeks. I probably missed it.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Man, after finally beating No Ordinary Headache, Like A Boss was a walk in the park. I literally built this solution in under 5 minutes, and according to the graphs it's a pretty damn good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKS0XIkzQFQ&feature=youtu.be

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, theres a couple of really hard levels which make the ones before/after seem like a cake walk.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778

Where's your comic? I've been off the internets for a couple weeks. I probably missed it.

No, it was originally posted like three threads ago.

3daEg.jpg

I'm not actually upset about it. ;) But I thought it had been well received at the time.

That reminds me I didn't re-post my Steam April fools joke this year... :(

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    970 Hours in L4D2
    Maybe 4-5 hours of that is total time waiting in lobby for matches to come together. The rest of it is legit hours D:
    ClayDavis.jpg
    SHEEEEEEIT!

I thought I was rocking the house with my ~550 hrs. Maybe 4 of those are versus though...
    Would still play the shit out of it, every week, if there were just more legit campaigns :<

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Oh my god, the spammers are evolving.

lynn, for trying to exploit the classiest gentleman in our community, you should be dragged out into the street and shot in the mouth.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    That reminds me that I never even played L4D 2 that much. I think I maybe went through one campaign? Didn't they port over all the original campaigns by now?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    Yep, all of L4D1 is in the sequel now (except for the visible legs! ]:< )

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I do like giving GoG money, but I kind of wish I'd reordered Legend of Grimrock from the developer to get a Steam key instead.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Yep, all of L4D1 is in the sequel now (except for the visible legs! ]:< )

Invisible legs are actually one of my biggest nagging pet peeves in FPS games.

• oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Am I the only one thinking this Grimrock game would be better if it was turn based?

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking this Grimrock game would be better if it was turn based?

I do but I think "This should be turn based" about almost everything.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have to throw out very long overdue thanks to @Rhiley and @Maclay for their gifts of Sonic CD and Gothic 4 respectively.
    Top class human beings, both of you.

In other news I just saw Confrontation. God I so want that game to be good, but it's not going to be good is it?

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    edited April 2012
    Speaking of L4D2, I started playing it again this week for some reason for the first time in probably...a year? Two? I don't think any of the L4D1 campaigns were ported when I last played, put it that way. Would any of you classy gents be interested in being abandoned on the presumption of decease with me sometime soon? Note that my personal tastes (perhaps an oddity) run entirely towards co-op campaign play and I couldn't be less interested in versus...

Gaslight on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @Handgimp is up to his old tricks again. And by tricks I mean damn classiness.

Here's another giveaway if you still don't own this awesome tower defense game.

signature.png

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    970 Hours in L4D2
    Maybe 4-5 hours of that is total time waiting in lobby for matches to come together. The rest of it is legit hours D:
    ClayDavis.jpg
    SHEEEEEEIT!

I thought I was rocking the house with my ~550 hrs. Maybe 4 of those are versus though...
    Would still play the shit out of it, every week, if there were just more legit campaigns :<

Yeah, we do a ton of realism vs in Armadeaddon still. Not as many campaign runs, but there are a few in there who would still go through them.

campaign4lyfe!

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Speaking of L4D2, I started playing it again this week for some reason for the first time in probably...a year? Two? I don't think any of the L4D1 campaigns were ported when I last played, put it that way. Would any of you classy gents be interested in being abandoned on the presumption decease with me sometime soon? Note that my personal tastes (perhaps an oddity) run entirely towards co-op campaign play and I couldn't be less interested in versus...

Man I'd be all over that if my graphics card weren't dead. If I end up buying a new card before judgment day, I'll hit you up and you'll have at least one other person who shares your desire to play through the campaign all proper-like.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey Steam thread. I see you're up to another incarnation!

Been a while. Most of my free time is being eaten whole by Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but I saw some tentative words about a possible Spring sale, and if there are objectives and achievements I might just have to shelf my N7 ranking for a while.

So, rather than skimming 100 pages of the last thread, any word so far on that?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Is that the dude from the Wire?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    Can robbercheh (me) get an invite to the PA steam group?

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Hey Steam thread. I see you're up to another incarnation!

Been a while. Most of my free time is being eaten whole by Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but I saw some tentative words about a possible Spring sale, and if there are objectives and achievements I might just have to shelf my N7 ranking for a while.

So, rather than skimming 100 pages of the last thread, any word so far on that?

It's all just speculation at this point.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    MAN Blulletstorm is aces. I actually feel really bad about not picking it up full price. Kinda feel a little responsible for there apparently being no sequel...

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of L4D2, I started playing it again this week for some reason for the first time in probably...a year? Two? I don't think any of the L4D1 campaigns were ported when I last played, put it that way. Would any of you classy gents be interested in being abandoned on the presumption decease with me sometime soon? Note that my personal tastes (perhaps an oddity) run entirely towards co-op campaign play and I couldn't be less interested in versus...

I'd be up for some of that.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    MAN Blulletstorm is aces. I actually feel really bad about not picking it up full price. Kinda feel a little responsible for there apparently being no sequel...

It's good, but such a crappy PC port.

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Dr. Face wrote: »

I can get you in, but I'm having trouble getting to your profile page. Send me a link and I'll hook you up.

Feh, they sealed their own fate with the lack of an advance PC demo/gratuitous mockery of PC users who were upset about it.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Idx86 wrote: »

Yes. Senator Clay Davis. Slimey motherfucker.

anoffday wrote: »

Disagree. It looks fantastic and runs perfectly smooth. GFWL/console UI aside, it's a perfectly fine port.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I started Trine last night finally! It's really good! Before it came out I saw one screenshot of it and pretty much disregarded it for some unknown reason.....but then I got it in a Bundle or sale or somesuch along the way somewhere, installed it (several months ago), and just last night booted it up for the first time.

I had no idea what it was all about and I was a fool for ignoring it.

After beating several levels I finally realized that you could kill things with boxes and planks from above, and with a grapple swing. Duh

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

Disagree. It looks fantastic and runs perfectly smooth. GFWL/console UI aside, it's a perfectly fine port.
    The UI is precisely why it's a crappy port. Just because the game doesn't look like shit or run like shit doesn't mean it's a good port.

• lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    The Steam thread moves so fast these days. I feel extremely old trying to keep up with it now :O

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    It's been some time for me Steam Thread. But I have been sucked away by tons of Mass Effect 3 and now a play through of AC: 2. Which I am having trouble getting back to after an 8 hour start this last weekend.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Just pop into the Steam chat and ask. Once you pass the "are you a filthy russian scammer?" test someone will invite you.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PennyArcade

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Okay. I tried playing Mr. Nice Guy. I tried urging people to serve the newell. I tried to talk up Blur's selling points to get more racers interested in it. Now you've gone and made me buy 4 extra copies and force it upon the masses.

I will be giving away at least 2 of them. The first in a easy quick steamgifts. signature.png

More copies will be given away as I decide how to, and seeing if specific people would like a copy before I open it up to the rest of the lovely community. <3 Since I play late at night and early afternoon, this giveaway will be ending soon so if you're interested in racing games, give it a shot.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular

The UI is precisely why it's a crappy port. Just because the game doesn't look like shit or run like shit doesn't mean it's a good port.

That is not enough to make a port crappy to me. A lazy port, maybe, but not a bad one. A port that runs like shit or is poorly optimized are what I consider bad ports. Bulletstorm is perfectly playable with the UI it has and shouldn't be a deterrent to people buying it, especially when it's $5 like it was a couple days ago.

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    oakke wrote: »

I do but I think "This should be turn based" about almost everything.

I'd like to see more turn based games show up in genres that are traditionally realtime.

A turn based racing game based on random dice rolls and a hand of game-specific cards with RPG elements for upgrading your driver/car is the game I would make if I ever became a guy who makes games.

I thought that the "sheeeeeeeeeyit" thing was just something his character did in The Wire, but then I saw the same actor playing a detective in The 25th Hour and he did it there too.

Turn-Based Pinball. Turn-Based Rhythm Game. Turn-Based Real Time Strategy. Make it happen, people.

This discussion has been closed.