As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Died During [chat] Creation

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited April 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
pYzlG.jpg?1

I really like this cover. I wish more RPG books were this stark.

rRwz9.gif
Jacobkosh on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Microscope (the campaign setting design game) has a similar style.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Job hunting. I can hear the calls of "over qualified" already.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »

If you had a PhD in blackmailing you'd never hear that.

Totally did research in the wrong area.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's a special hell.

Are you trying for academia? Right now, for science any way, it's more or less a case of your boss has to hook you up to get a postdoc. Which is gash.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    No one will ever tell me I am over qualified for anything!

*puffs out chest*

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.

Totally did research in the wrong area.

The thesis involves you and your supervisor digging up as much dirt as you can about each other. If you can completely silence him, you get your degree.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Huh, I had not heard of this!

rRwz9.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Shit yes, Traveller.

Hank's Bow from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon is actually an awesome weapon.

I just saw that staged Project Glass video.

Great, now even more people will look like complete tools talking to themselves.

I wonder if they can incorporate it into normal corrective lenses.

Would be cool.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I just saw that staged Project Glass video.

Great, now even more people will look like complete tools talking to themselves.

I'm intrigued by it but I just have a hard time believing the ones Google employees are field testing are anything like the video.

Yeah, that's obviously a staged video.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Join the club.
    Well, the job hunting club, I'm hardly over qualified.

sig.gif
    edited April 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Would be cool.

Maybe, but someone did a write-up and it mentioned it would actually be something you put over your glasses *groan*

EDIT: also the prototypes in use now look...weird

bits-projectglass-tmagArticle.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Huh, I had not heard of this!
    It's an interesting idea. You play a game before you start your typical RPG campaign to establish the setting.

My issue is that the pdf is a bit pricey for what is a very simplistic game (to the point where there's a detailed reviews floating about that you can use instead of the rules pdf itself). I sort of regret spending money on it, I expected there to be a lot more in the pdf than I'd gleaned from hearing about it, and there really wasn't. $5 seems a fairer pricepoint (although looking at his website he's only asking $10 now, which isn't as bad).

It's a special hell.

Are you trying for academia? Right now, for science any way, it's more or less a case of your boss has to hook you up to get a postdoc. Which is gash.

Applying for every academic job I'm even vaguely qualified for, but I also need to eat and I stop getting paid end of this month, so just looking for anything that will give me a bit of cash. It sucks.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    WE'RE HERE
    WE'RE QUEER
    and i'm going to pax

Organichu on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    i kind of want a feudal manor simulation game

anyone know of any good ones?

fuck gendered marketing
    edited April 2012
    Just put $100 down into the Shadowrun Kickstarter, No way Class of Heroes 2 get funded and I missed out on Doublefine so this will do nicely!

bloodyroarxx on

It's a special hell.

Applying for every academic job I'm even vaguely qualified for, but I also need to eat and I stop getting paid end of this month, so just looking for anything that will give me a bit of cash. It sucks.

Obviously it's most likely different in the Arts, but in science if you can get your boss to apply on her behalf then you'll get an interview rather than being added to the hilarious large stack of CVs. An informal "Hey, I've got a new student about to finish who is hot shit" is worth twice the best cover letter and five years of directly relevant experience.

Organichu wrote: »
    WE'RE HERE
    WE'RE QUEER
    and i'm going to pax

Boooo!!!

Not booing the queer thing...
    Or the here thing...
    Just totes jelly about PAX.

Steam
    Gawd, why is the Facebook app so damn spammy all of a sudden? It shows push notifications for every damn thing anyone posts. And I've turned push notifications off entirely!

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Would be cool.

Maybe, but someone did a write-up and it mentioned it would actually be something you put over your glasses *groan*

EDIT: also the prototypes in use now look...weird

tumblr_lh7gts4ToM1qa50qno1_400.gif

yeah but then you can see people's power levels

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I played Traveller once. I died during character creation and within the first ten minutes of the first (short lived) adventure.

And hello.

edited April 2012
    Just put $100 down into the Shadowrun Kickstarter, No way Class of Heroes 2 get funded and I missed out on Doublefine so this will do nicely!

It's for the best that CoH2 doesn't get funded. It'll get a release anyway and if he doesn't get his half mil of slush money he said he won't have time to cock about with things to make them "better", where his personal idea of better seems to be fairly ropey.

It's provided a bit of publicity for the company and hopefully they'll do more sales as a result. Kickstarter is just not the place for poorly defined nonsense like he was trying.

Mojo_Jojo on

It's for the best that CoH2 doesn't get funded. It'll get a release anyway and if he doesn't get his half mil of slush money he said he won't have time to cock about with things to make them "better", where his personal idea of better seems to be fairly ropey.

It's provided a bit of publicity for the company and hopefully they'll do more sales as a result. Kickstarter is just not the place for poorly defined nonsense like he was trying.

Honestly, I'm on board with what he wants to do he just didn't know how to present it at all.

Wait, what? A Shadowrun kickstarter? For what exactly?

Haphazard wrote: »

New turn based CRPG.

For a Shadowrun game!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

Steam
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Elldren wrote: »
    i kind of want a feudal manor simulation game

anyone know of any good ones?

The are the Stronghold series but I hear the last one was pretty shit and the old ones are ancient at this point.

The Guild could be another series I guess but I know very little about it.

Sparvy on

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns?ref=live

A New PC/tablet Shadowrun game, with a campaign creator.

Honestly, I'm on board with what he wants to do he just didn't know how to present it at all.

That's cool. I don't begrudge anybody for enjoying getting an enormous box of silly nonsense with a game. I really don't. It's not for me, but some like it. But yeah, he completely screwed up the Kickstarter. It could have very easily been a success, if it were better presented.

Kickstarter has become practically passe in just two short months. It now feels like everyone's doing it.

Oh well, I think I'll have to give them something. I'm an old SR geek, so it's a must.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

During my current round of job hunting I was told I had the "worst educational background of anybody I've ever interviewed", "we only interview people with Master's degrees", but that I was "definitely qualified for the position I was interviewing for, and probably the position above that". It was a confusing interview.

Then I was told that they'd be interested in continuing the hire process, then like an hour later they told me that HR found a better candidate. My guess is they had a Master's degree. =/

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Kickstarter has become practically passe in just two short months. It now feels like everyone's doing it.

Pretty much, after doublefine showed that it could be viable, a lot of developers are practically giddy with the idea of not needing to jump through the hoops that dealing with publishers usually involve and just making the game. So much so that I think they're choosing to ignore how fickle and demanding their customers will become now that they have 'invested' in a title.
    If you thought they were entitled children before this....

sig.gif
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I should do this

I have to do this

fuck gendered marketing
    HerrCron wrote: »

Pretty much, after doublefine showed that it could be viable, a lot of developers are practically giddy with the idea of not needing to jump through the hoops that dealing with publishers usually involve and just making the game. So much so that I think they're choosing to ignore how fickle and demanding their customers will become now that they have 'invested' in a title.
    If you thought they were entitled children before this....

I hear that the doublefine support board is actually quite civil for the moment. This is a surprise and a shock to me. I thought it would be hell on earth as everybody battles to have their $15 of say in the game.

This discussion has been closed.