As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying it. Bit confused though.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's sort of been too long since anyone came in and talked about how incredibly bad this game is. The only people posting are the positive posters, and it's potentially luring people in unwittingly.

Eh, if any new players decide that they hate it, they'll either complain or stop posting. The thread is hardly raging out of control as it is, it's only this active because Rizzi is asking questions.

Edit: Heh, to ask a question of my own, just because I'm curious:

How sophisticated is the higher-level group or raid oriented content? All everyone seems to talk about is various forms of grinding, how much substance does the game have if you're actually looking for a challenge? Not just in terms of amount, but in terms of design quality.

jothki on
    I think my class (gladiator) is supposed to have a shield.
    Where can I get one?

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Just RE: FFXI comment made earlier- You could just set the keyboard style to compact, and it'd use wads movement and such. It's how I always played.

as for raid content... Uh, FFXI HD really. I mean, it can be mechanically tough until everyone is on point. A bad egg here or there can screw you. It isn't very WoWish though. Not much running around dodging environmental hazards or other such things. Its more having the right team makeup, having a game plan on who does what, making sure your people are capable of doing their job, that sort of thing.

steam_sig.png
    Wheee. I made a shield. Now I have access to my shield bash attack. Neato.

• draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    Is there a text command to invite members to a party from a distance? Or can I still only invite people I can target? I tried to form up a group yesterday and couldn't figure out how to invite people that were interested

I have not seen a single person chatting in this game. Did I turn an option off by accident or something?

Rizzi wrote: »
    I have not seen a single person chatting in this game. Did I turn an option off by accident or something?

The only place you'll see people talking really is in uldah, so if you have been hanging out in a different city state it makes sense; if you hang out in uldah then it doesn't make sense

I'm in some place next to the ocean. There are pirates.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    That's Limsa

• PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    Things can be a bit lonely when you are outside the cities. To mitigate that, every time I run up to a camp to do leves, I ask if anyone wants to group up for leves and wait about 20 sec. I have yet to end up doing them alone when taking that approach. I don't know why more people don't try to group up for those things. It makes each leve go by much faster, plus you get to do any leves they have left as well.

Behests also act as good opportunities to get leve groups started.

I have a question about retainers. I've got one stationed in a ward loaded with all kinds of stuff, but I don't see that stuff for sale when I search at the item counter. Do I have to do something special to get my stuff listed?

Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
    Also, I got powerleveled by a LS member the other day in a ridiculous way... 4 people in the group went from 30-35ish in just over an hour. I'm sure it will be patched at some point.

Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    Also, I got powerleveled by a LS member the other day in a ridiculous way... 4 people in the group went from 30-35ish in just over an hour. I'm sure it will be patched at some point.

Can be as bad as it used to be. I pled our ls 20 levels each in an evening with my marauder when storms path was a thing

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    What ls are you in and who do I need to message for an invite? I'm getting tired of flying solo and I've hit a wall on my job quests until I can get a group for dzaemel darkhold

Oh, awesome! I got a pair of bronze gauntlets from a combat leve.
    I honestly don't think I've ever been as excited by a pair of gauntlets as I am right now.

Greg USN wrote: »

Can be as bad as it used to be. I pled our ls 20 levels each in an evening with my marauder when storms path was a thing

Haha what was storm's path? This method involved us all standing in a corner with a high level player in our group. The high level player ran around this crowded catacomb to agro everything, dropped group, then aoe'd everything down. The low level players in the party then get to delight in 1000 exp chain bonus xp for each monster killed in the aoe. The whole thing took about 2 minutes per clear. An obvious fix would be making monsters damaged by a member who dropped group not grant xp or grant xp as if they were still in the party.

draw4wild wrote: »
    What ls are you in and who do I need to message for an invite? I'm getting tired of flying solo and I've hit a wall on my job quests until I can get a group for dzaemel darkhold

I tried to find you and friend you using the name you provided but had no luck. My name is Pookie Poo and I'll try to get your hooked up with the shell. They are an EXTREMELY friendly group and do end-game stuff but take recruiting new members very seriously and like to do some stuff with the LS that could be considered cheesy (like holding LS meetings in a location and all getting in a circle). It works for me because I enjoy stuff like that in a game like this. If you are purely a power-gamer, you may be like... wtf.

Oh, awesome! I got a pair of bronze gauntlets from a combat leve.
    I honestly don't think I've ever been as excited by a pair of gauntlets as I am right now.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. Back before they revamped and simplified the crafting system I remember working for like a week to raise all the skills to make myself this low level shield. When I had finally crafted all the materials to make it I was on the edge of my seat hoping the synthesis would work. Making that damn shield felt like getting a legendary weapon in WoW. :p

Are you on Masamune?

edited April 2012
    Yeah, I'm on Masamune.
    I leveled up Pugilist a little because I saw that they got a self heal and I was sick of standing around waiting for my health to regen. It's pretty helpful. :P

Rizzi on
    draw4wild wrote: »
    I'm not currently playing. What I did was agro everything in an area (ie raptors) and 2 shot like 10 at once. Exp chains got up to 1600 ish.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Yeah, I'm on Masamune.
    I leveled up Pugilist a little because I saw that they got a self heal and I was sick of standing around waiting for my health to regen. It's pretty helpful. :P

I am a gladiator/PLD and you are doing the right thing by grabbing second wind. It really helps when soloing. I'd also highly recommend a few levels of CNJ for Cure and Protect. You get cure at level 2 CNJ and once you get that you should never have any downtime. I didn't do this for a long time, but 10 levels of LNC for (I forget the name but it is a weaponskill that costs 250 and triggers after you miss an attack) increases your damage output by a LOT. With that toolset it has been no problem to deal with 2 or 3 higher level monsters at a time and keep going with no downtime.

What is your character name?

• TrystenTrysten Registered User regular
    Hey, is this game really worth buying yet, or should I wait a while longer until more changes are made? Will it ever be good? lol.

QZ7MPEE7FX.jpg
    Yeah, I'm on Masamune.

I am a gladiator/PLD and you are doing the right thing by grabbing second wind. It really helps when soloing. I'd also highly recommend a few levels of CNJ for Cure and Protect. You get cure at level 2 CNJ and once you get that you should never have any downtime. I didn't do this for a long time, but 10 levels of LNC for (I forget the name but it is a weaponskill that costs 250 and triggers after you miss an attack) increases your damage output by a LOT. With that toolset it has been no problem to deal with 2 or 3 higher level monsters at a time and keep going with no downtime.

What is your character name?

My characters name is Jacob Smallfoot.
    I wanted to get a few levels in a mage but I couldn't find a vendor to buy the class weapon.

In Uldah at least, all the starting gear is sold by two guys in the starting inn (where the guildleve counter is). I suspect their counterparts are placed similarly in the other cities, as ther were added as a quality of life feature.

I tried to find you and friend you using the name you provided but had no luck. My name is Pookie Poo and I'll try to get your hooked up with the shell. They are an EXTREMELY friendly group and do end-game stuff but take recruiting new members very seriously and like to do some stuff with the LS that could be considered cheesy (like holding LS meetings in a location and all getting in a circle). It works for me because I enjoy stuff like that in a game like this. If you are purely a power-gamer, you may be like... Wtf?

I apparently spelt my char name wrong in my last post, it's Selis Semidey, I friended you now so hopefully we catch each other online soon

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I found this today:

http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_Outline_EN.pdf

Not sure if you guys have seen it before. The useful part for me (and I imagine at least a few others) was they mention re-instating a limited free trial for PC around October/November. They don't give any details whether this free trial is open to anyone, or just the people who paid for the original game, but if it's for any one, could be a good chance to try and get new blood into the game who are too hesitant to pay for the game first.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    I found this today:

http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_Outline_EN.pdf

Not sure if you guys have seen it before. The useful part for me (and I imagine at least a few others) was they mention re-instating a limited free trial for PC around October/November. They don't give any details whether this free trial is open to anyone, or just the people who paid for the original game, but if it's for any one, could be a good chance to try and get new blood into the game who are too hesitant to pay for the game first.

I myself have only seen the bare bones outline (no fancy graphics, just a spreadsheet list pretty much). However, I think most all of that info has been floating around some time.

Still, a fancy presentation like this certainly won't hurt anything.

So far they have been sticking to their game plan pretty damn well. I am very excited to check out the 2.0 release come Fall (hopefully).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Yeah, those are some nice slides. That UI mockup is super sexy.

Plus, the Choco mount has a hp bar ;-)

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Is this game better now since release?
    Can I go back to playing it and have fun?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Yes it is much better than it was at release and there is definitely fun to be had.

I decided to figure out gear change macros last night as well as how to play with a controller... Holy crap, what a different experience. Controller play is silky smooth and the gear change macros make life so much nicer. Before, I'd either be in full-time gathering mode or full time battle mode, as switching to gather every time I saw a node was too bothersome. My main gripe with the macros is how much disinformation is out there on how to create them. 9/10 pages that pop up when you google "FFXIV gear change macro" is totally wrong. If anyone wants to set up job change macros, it is now:

/equip mh "Item Name" -> This main hand command is the one that most sites are wrong about and also the most important one.

Also, the change from Optimal level gear to Required level gear makes it so all your stuff gets un-equiped when you switch to a gathering job. It is a bit of work to make the macros include all the gear slots but totally worth it.

Oh, for anyone that is new and is going to make a character. Don't make a gladiator thinking you'll be great for groups. GLA and PLD are apparently completely unwanted and inferior to MRD/WARs. I've been learning this lesson the hard way as group after group tells me they either don't want a Paladin or don't even bother responding. Maybe this will be addressed in a patch soon but it kind of sucks. At least GLA is great for soloing since that is all you can do with it.

One of the last letters indicated that they will be addressing PLD abilities specifically, perhaps as early as 1.22.

It's a shame that gladiator and pld by extension is still broken (has been since 1.2) I tanked everything as a MRD as damage mitigation was just as good plus I could actually do damage. Shit tons infact. There was absolutely no reason to gla tank back then. It was actually pretty decent when you could manually raise tour shield but once that went away it was pointless

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    I really need to spend the time to make gear change macros. It was easier when I would use the same gear on CNJ and THM but with all the job specific gear now, I have to change at least 8 slots of gear now.

And what's the command to change a soul gem? I can't macro in any of the AF armor without first manually changing myself to the job since i can't figure out the slash command to macro the soul gem slot

• ChimneyF1reChimneyF1re Registered User regular
    they fix problems constantly. more come up, and there is a bit of complaining while that happens. This is no eve, but it does probably have the best graphics and if you've got a linkshell like this one you'll have a good time.

Also, if anyone is wondering rest state stacks with gatherer's grace and sweat of brow. I think the 3% food bonus works at the same time too. ~300 with rest and grace on GR 5 mining points as lvl 48.

Riokenn wrote: »
    Is this game better now since release?
    Can I go back to playing it and have fun?

The game has definetly improved since release. Going through the patch notes you can really see all the changes but just to try and sum up all the signifigant changes since release:

-3 max level dungeons: Dzaemel Darkhold, Aurum Vale, and Cutters Cry
    -2 Primal battle: Ifrit and Good King Moogle Mog with a 3rd, Garuda, probably a month away
    -Changed the stamina system to characters actually having an auto attack so it resembles more of your standard MMO fare.
    - Added combos to WS and magic to make soloing and playing in general a bit more fun( For example on Black Mage I can cast Thunder, then Thundara which will get a lower recast after Thunder, then Thundaga will get a higher crit rate after Thundara.)
    -Retooled all abilities so the classes all feel unique and play differently and have a defined role.
    -Job system takes those defined roles and makes the character better at them at the loss of versatility, also added AF armor for classes
    -Ability to buy items right from item search and not have to enter wards
    -Since the server mergers, you always see people out in the world leveling, and tons of shouts for groups at 35+, just recently Masamune got a message where no more characters could be created due to maximun amount of characters
    -Added an inn system for accumulation of rested xp
    -Airship system between the towns
    -Personal Chocobos after a lengthy set of quests that requires you to travel all over the place
    -Materia system for enchanting gear. Have to xp in gear before you can convert it to materia which encourages lvl 50s to still xp in Spiritbond parties
    -They have met or been very close with all deadlines they gave themselves with updates on roadmap to 2.0

However that said, the game still has a lot of problems. Off the top of my head my complaints are:
    -It still takes forever to sell/buy items to an npc, and there are a million different crafting mats that will drop so you're always having a full inventory
    -In the main town, most NPC take forever to load on my screen and some PC don't even load at all. My computer isn't too greatl tho so I don't know if this problem is widespread.
    -Still no mail system
    -Since server merge, all wards have been full so unable to place a retainer
    -Market wards aren't universal so the entire population is funneled into one city
    -Game still feels unresponsive, better since release, but not as crisp as other MMOs out there
    -Game also still has server lag. Hardest part on Ifrit is combating server lag more than him. You won't be in his fire on your screen but in it according to the server.
    -Archaic Loot System: You can easily run a dungeon or a primal and get 0 useful drops, and its completely random so you can get Ifrit weapons for a class you cannot even use. They added totems that drop that could be traded for a weapon but that is still a random drop. The dev team doesnt seem to want to change this at all. In fact they recently lowered the amount of totems you need to trade for a primal weapon instead of just making the totem 100% drop rate to keep the aspect of luck involved. A good ls can run any of the dungeons or the primals in <20 min so its really a matter of quantity of runs
    -There is still a limited amount to do, makes catching up easy but compared to games that have been out for awhile, like FFXI, it feels like little content
    -I find the maps horrible, also I would say about 70% of the maps aren't even used and filled with lvl 75+ mobs just there to one shot you

Now some, if not all, of my complaints are said to be addressed in 2.0. That said the game is $10 a month, if you feel its worth a shot for that then go for it, but understand you're essentially in a paid beta and the game has some very LARGE problems. For some people it might be better for them to wait till 2.0 release early next year before deciding to come back, for other people looking to scratch that MMO itch, this may be it

SO the TLDR version is the game is better but I won't be the one to recommend it at this point, people really need to decide for themselves if they want to give it a try

• ZoloeZoloe Registered User new member
    /job on and /job off to change from job to class

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/43218

New producers letter detailing legacy program, long as you pay for 90days of play time between jan and 2.0 beta you're eligible. Exclusive choco mount, name in credits, and legacy pricing.

Pricing is 12.99 for 1 char per world, 14.99 for 8 char per world, no more different charges for char and service, legacy pricing is 9.99 for 8 char per world plan

So those people on the fence or waiting for 2.0 might want to think about getting in the 90 days

• SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    Legacy pricing is tempting. And very neat. It's a nice way to say thank you.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Time to re-up the sub. (next week, when I get paid.)

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    When is 2.0 again? EDIT: Oh, early 2013ish I guess.

Also this is on sale via Gamestops download service (Impulse, previously anyway) for $9.99 right now.

Considering it. With D3 coming out I certainly won't have time to play but $10 is pretty nice if for no other reason than to have it on my account for the future.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• rezn0rrezn0r BostonRegistered User new member
    Been a lurker, thought I had an account here, can't remember login, oh well, anyway

I LOVED FFXI back in the day, and I think the current state and how you like it might depend on if you did too. Lately it's starting to feel like "FFXI HD" which to me is a good thing, to many people that could be a very bad thing. I just came back to it after a year+ last week, and I'm having a great time playing catch-up and watching the (abundant) patch notes/patches show up and change the whole thing leading up to 2.0. Like I said on another forum though, I wouldn't argue against calling this "paying to beta test", it just so happens that I don't really mind that in this situation and I'm having a good time doing it, plus the new legacy program is kind of nice too.

For what it's worth, leveling is much much easier than it used to be, or even was in FFXI (up until Abyssea I guess). Just today I logged on around 6pm as a 28 pug, I'm about to hit 47 with no signs of not hitting 50 by the time I go to bed. I stumbled into a group of people that know how to get it done fast though (I got lucky).

I guess my contribution to those that are on the fence about trying it out or coming back to it is to give it a shot.