As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So swank trip!
    edit: totp

Iruka wrote: »
    pokecomicall.jpg

and by "thinking of" I mean "already made the banner"
    bannercomicstmb.jpg

http://sometimesimakecomics.tumblr.com/
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    tumblr_m1uag7jUJQ1rsrynko1_1280.jpg
    633qZ.jpg

m3nace on
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    I asked a friend for any drawing requests; he insisted I draw two dogs making out.
    This comic is bad. I feel bad for making it.

malikspecial1.png

• Options
    squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    I was going to sleep, thank you for the nightmares :(

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Postin' it in the SE++ webcomics thread.

• Options
    I might have put that there myself if I knew it existed. May hilarity ensue!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Nah, that thread is so over-saturated with terrible stuff that they probably won't even notice.
    EDIT: yup.

Mayday on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    cooooooool

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I love your stuff Wass, so rad!

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    war_mistress_by_squar3x-d4v6f40.png

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    victravictra Registered User regular
    rogue_by_close2deathnlife-d4v5b00.jpg

Will probably get overlooked here, but I wanted to post it somewhere and show it off :) feelin proud haha.
    A Rogue commission I just completed.

• Options
    victra wrote: »
    Will probably get overlooked here

I'm intentionally overlooking it now just because you said that.

No but really, good rendering! I like the face.

• Options
    I like the EVERYTHING

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    May just be me, but are her eyes a bit too far apart or maybe not lined up exactly? But wow! The rendering is delicious and I want more please :)

• Options
    I love that victra!
    The rendering is just perfect to me.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Going to follow the hell out of that Laura! Excited for your comics.

tumblr_m1uag7jUJQ1rsrynko1_1280.jpg

Just watched this the other night, :^:

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I drew her body last night, and then it crashed and I lost everything except for the jpeg above.

Whoops.

So I redrew the body. And did a side view of her head.
    teagirlolder3.jpg

• Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    Rogue looks a little weird with that big floppy hood and skin tight (TIGHT!!!!) suit.

http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    SpeedPaint-4.6.png

I haven't done really anything but mapmaking and minecraft for three months. Decided today would be a good day to get my ass in gear and get back to painting/drawing practice.
    I think I forgot everything I learned last year. >.<

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    whoops, crummy leaky paper.

dfly_doodle1.jpg

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    @square whatever is going on with the chin area is massively confusing me, but the death Frisbee is intriguing. That is a death Frisbee, right?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    lookma.jpg

freedomfighter.jpg

• Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    @square whatever is going on with the chin area is massively confusing me, but the death Frisbee is intriguing. That is a death Frisbee, right?

Yeah, kind of.
    The chin is a real mess, I've tried to fix it but without good results.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    Nakirush, that is a great zombie. :D

• Options
    Nakrush I love the way you draw hands and feet, not the perverted way.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    twop1.png

I've been reading The White Order, part of LE Modesitt's Saga of Recluce. Thought it might be fun to draw some scenes from it comic style. Did some rough planning this morning of the first two pages.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Doodling out the wazoo

6ebBN.jpg

• Options
    Tidus53Tidus53 Registered User regular
    This is a sort of early concept art of a character I'm writing for a comic book series I have in mind. I started taking drawing seriously at about the end of my High school Sophomore year and I'm in the Spring semester of my Junior year. So here he is.
    JzsJt.jpg

Few things about him, he's got dark grey skin, stands 6"10, and that mask has been his face for 3 years. I ultimately want to know if I am where I should be after two years of practice, and if I'm on the right track for a good Western realistic style. I know it's not colored or inked or even shaded, but I just want a little confirmation on my abilities and what I should focus on right now. Sorry I haven't had time to crop out some of the other bits, just focus on the big guy on the left. Thanks for looking at this and any comments and criticism you can give me.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    RESMOLUTIONS!!!

ninjai on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    derp

_65157.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    here's a horrifying gritty version of my friend's comic character I drowned in photoshop effects for the best birthday card ever.
    (Note: his character is from ancient china)

Aaronbirthdayfixed-2.jpg

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tidus: Creating, designing and pitching a comic book series is a huge task, even for the greatest artists and writers the comic scene has ever had, and may take years of work. As someone who only started taking art seriously at the end of their sophomore year, I'm concerned you'll burn out long before you ever realise your dream. But that's okay, you have plenty of time, there's no need to rush, and if you can keep your resolve you'll be surprised what you can achieve.

The first thing to do is break down your goal in to the smallest manageable chunks and start at the beginning. Smaller than creating an overarching mythos for your character or colouring or inking, those things will come in time. Your first job is to start familiarizing the human form. It looks like you may have already started, but know that the figure is something that may take a lifetime to come to terms with. It's a less than glamorous task, but I guarantee this is where all great comic artists once began. Of course there's no reason for you to stop creating comics at the same time, but knowing the human form will vastly expand your the range of your comics. I want you to look at this image:
    IZZzi.jpg

The picture is a on the left is a diagram of the idealised male proportions by Andrew Loomis, who wrote some of the very best books on drawing the human figure around. Try to list for yourself where your drawing fits in with Loomis', and where it does not. Once you've done that, make your own thread and let us know what you've found. Then we'll get you started on your way to making your comic become a reality.

Also Ninjai's right, that image is waaay too big. :P

Flay on
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    half hour value study

valuestudy20120408.jpg

horridly disappointing one hour character value concept (sans ref)

posesvaluestudies201204.jpg

Seriously, is there a way to internalising this and storing it in memory that I'm failing at, or did I just not focus for the second one (it was done first as warm-up). Is it a lack of knowledge, or do I just need to think more when I sketch without a reference? Working from memory feels so hard, I wish I knew the best way to make my brain remember

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Learn how to construct and light basic shapes.

It might sound like some boring first level nonsense, but there is a good reason why instructors force their students to do those studies. Knowing how to properly construct spheres, cones, cylinders, blocks, etc is important. Learn perspective, how to place lights in an image, how bounce light works and how to cast shadows. Spend A LOT of time studying these basic things.

The reason someone like Craig Mullins or Feng Zhu or any fancy speedpainter can splotch down colours and chisel away at them to make solid pretty pictures without looking at reference, is because they have those fundamentals down.

• Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    Nic wrote: »
    I asked a friend for any drawing requests; he insisted I draw two dogs making out.
    This comic is bad. I feel bad for making it.

Haha, I love it.

Great work on this page. Victra, that piece is wonderful.

WIP, goblin merchant.
    goblinguy.jpg

• Options
    Tidus53Tidus53 Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    Tidus: Creating, designing and pitching a comic book series is a huge task, even for the greatest artists and writers the comic scene has ever had, and may take years of work. As someone who only started taking art seriously at the end of their sophomore year, I'm concerned you'll burn out long before you ever realise your dream. But that's okay, you have plenty of time, there's no need to rush, and if you can keep your resolve you'll be surprised what you can achieve.

The first thing to do is break down your goal in to the smallest manageable chunks and start at the beginning. Smaller than creating an overarching mythos for your character or colouring or inking, those things will come in time. Your first job is to start familiarizing the human form. It looks like you may have already started, but know that the figure is something that may take a lifetime to come to terms with. It's a less than glamorous task, but I guarantee this is where all great comic artists once began. Of course there's no reason for you to stop creating comics at the same time, but knowing the human form will vastly expand your the range of your comics. I want you to look at this image:
    IZZzi.jpg

The picture is a on the left is a diagram of the idealised male proportions by Andrew Loomis, who wrote some of the very best books on drawing the human figure around. Try to list for yourself where your drawing fits in with Loomis', and where it does not. Once you've done that, make your own thread and let us know what you've found. Then we'll get you started on your way to making your comic become a reality.

Also Ninjai's right, that image is waaay too big. :P

Yeah sorry, that's practically the first picture I've ever posted on the web so I will make mistakes. But I have a question about Andrew Loomis. Would it be better for me to read from him than Burne Hogarth? Because up until now, most of my drawings have come from what he has written in all his books.

• Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    Velvetdonesmalll.jpg

EP cover I'm working on for a friend

• Options
    Tidus53 wrote: »

Yeah sorry, that's practically the first picture I've ever posted on the web so I will make mistakes. But I have a question about Andrew Loomis. Would it be better for me to read from him than Burne Hogarth? Because up until now, most of my drawings have come from what he has written in all his books.

Read both. Draw from both. Most of the core fundamentals are going to overlap with slightly differing ways of going about it.

Having lots of sources of instruction is a good way to have more dynamic education.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    @Esiotrot Really, really awesome work. I would buy that album for the cover alone!

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    freshmeattexturedraft.jpg

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
This discussion has been closed.