As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game Deals Thread

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Welp, Darkness 2 and Crysis 2 are mine. Now, is Serious Sam 3 worth it at $12?

steam_sig.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Darn. I caved on Crysis 2 too early, I guess. But for those of you on the fence, it's still a tour-de-force shooter. Lots of cool encounters; a bit more linear than the first game, but still worth a play nonetheless.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Go to GOG.com in the next 48 hours and you'll be able to pick up the original Fallout at the low, low price of free.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Welp, Darkness 2 and Crysis 2 are mine. Now, is Serious Sam 3 worth it at $12?

Yes, Serious Sam 3 is worth it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Indiefort bundle hosted by Gamersgate is live: http://indiefort.gamersgate.com/indiefort-bundle-1?caff=3884871

Kenshi (Alpha)
    Steel Storm Burning Retribution
    Wanderlust: Rebirth
    Cardinal Quest
    Devil Whiskey
    Black Market

6 games for 6 bucks minimum, though you can pay more and the money goes straight to the devs (Gamersgate won't take a cut of it). They also have several tiered bonuses. The Cardinal Quest soundtrack is already unlocked, and there are like 5 more that could (some are based on units sold, and some are based on money made) including it looks like a couple of future games by the devs.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    That L.A. Noire is easily worth 499 of your pennies. It was a landmark game with a very compelling storyline. One should play that if they haven't already.
    I'd go for it in a heartbeat if the DLC after the fact didn't cost more than twice the price of the game. The complete version has already been on steam for 15 bucks in the past, so this isn't any better of a deal.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That L.A. Noire is easily worth 499 of your pennies. It was a landmark game with a very compelling storyline. One should play that if they haven't already.
    I'd go for it in a heartbeat if the DLC after the fact didn't cost more than twice the price of the game. The complete version has already been on steam for 15 bucks in the past, so this isn't any better of a deal.

LA Noire could have been good if that stupid grading system wasn't in it. To "solve a case properly" you have to do it in a very specific, linear manner. It honestly felt like I was playing a FMV Sega CD game most of the time. They missed a great opportunity to make the definitive cop game.

Regardless of the price, don't waste your time on this "game". If you're any sort of completionist, you'll need to follow a guide or reload several times to solve a case "properly". I spent more time trying to figure out the right path than actually playing the game. Got old fast.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

LA Noire could have been good if that stupid grading system wasn't in it. To "solve a case properly" you have to do it in a very specific, linear manner. It honestly felt like I was playing a FMV Sega CD game most of the time. They missed a great opportunity to make the definitive cop game.

Regardless of the price, don't waste your time on this "game". If you're any sort of completionist, you'll need to follow a guide or reload several times to solve a case "properly". I spent more time trying to figure out the right path than actually playing the game. Got old fast.

I did a regular playthrough where I didn't worry much about grades. Much more fun that way. I started a 'completionist' one but never finished.

Don't play it for perfect scores. It's a good game if you don't.

If the grades or failing had any effect, the game might've been more engaging. As it is, you can be a total moron and bungle every case you encounter and you won't affect much of the story aside from maybe your boss yelling at you.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Had a blast playing through Noire, but I didn't worry about getting the best grade ever in every case.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    If the grades or failing had any effect, the game might've been more engaging. As it is, you can be a total moron and bungle every case you encounter and you won't affect much of the story aside from maybe your boss yelling at you.

Really? I thought you could fail the case entirely if you fail to interrogate properly.

steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I have to admit I am tempted by The Darkness 2 on amazon, but goddamn, I just know that I won't play it for a while. And by the time I do play it, it'll have been on sale on Steam for like $5.

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    You can "fail" cases, but the story still progresses. Personally, I loved LA Noire. Such a breath of fresh air amidst so many shooters.

But I absolutely understand the people who hated it. It is absolutely not for everyone.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think you could only fail if you fucked up really bad.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Isn't the PC port pretty atrocious? I'm still waffling on picking it up.

edited April 2012

Really? I thought you could fail the case entirely if you fail to interrogate properly.

I mean, you can fail the case but it doesn't affect much, you're still Cole Phelps, hotshot detective who is on the rise because of his no nonsense ways,
    and when you fall it's because of corruption, and not because you're a total meathead that fumbles every case he gets(doesn't help that a good chunk of cases you literally cannot convict the real criminal because they're not even an option).

Corpekata on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Hmm, when I tried to get Saint's Row The Third from the sale, I got an error message and nothing is added to my account, but when I try to but it again amazon says I've already purchased it and would I like a duplicate copy? Has anyone had this happen with them before?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I mean, you can fail the case but it doesn't affect much, you're still Cole Phelps, hotshot detective who is on the rise because of his no nonsense ways,
    and when you fall it's because of corruption, and not because you're a total meathead that fumbles every case he gets(doesn't help that a good chunk of cases you literally cannot convict the real criminal because they're not even an option).

LA Noire gets amusing (for awhile) when you start accusing everyone of lying every time. Clearly innocent people, children, old people, everyone. As was said, it doesn't matter, the game continues on anyway. I gave up on the game halfway through, but was determined to finish and discovered that. I would be wary of picking it up.

Xeddicus on
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I have to admit I am tempted by The Darkness 2 on amazon, but goddamn, I just know that I won't play it for a while. And by the time I do play it, it'll have been on sale on Steam for like $5.

Same here. New PS3 coming and Xenoblade Chronicles, and in a month, Diablo 3.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    You can "fail" cases, but the story still progresses. Personally, I loved LA Noire. Such a breath of fresh air amidst so many shooters.

But I absolutely understand the people who hated it. It is absolutely not for everyone.

I love LA Noire - I haven't totally finished it yet, because I switched consoles midway and had to rebuy it (and now I'll have to play through the first part again) but it's one of those rare games that feels like everything in it was made for my tastes exactly.

• KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    Deus Ex Human Revolution PC download 10$ -- steamworks. not part of the THQ deals but still awesome.

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Got Just Dance 3 Kinect for $19.99 and 3D Dot Game Heroes for $14.99 at Best Buy.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    for people who missed out from Gamestop or Bestbuy:

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition ps3/360 40$

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3/360 30$

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Kaseius wrote: »
    for people who missed out from Gamestop or Bestbuy:

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition ps3/360 40$

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3/360 30$

You gotta be kidding me. I just bought FFXIII-2 25% off at amazon two weeks ago. GAH

Note: There is a pretty good chance this is a pricing error and that it'll be fixed by the time you read this:

Gamersgate has the 1C complete pack for 20.00 USD, which is a rather insane deal even though 1c is kind of a iffy company. Notable franchises are King's Bounty, Men of War, and Space Rangers, with a few cult following types like Pathologic, and those games alone are probably worth the price. Only a few of these are Steamworks like the Men of War titles but thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-1CBIGPACK/1c-complete-pack-bundle?caff=3884871

If it is down, well, consider this a post for notification that GG has most of 1c's catalogue for like 70 percent off.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Did Amazon drop the Video Games Deal of the Day page? When I go there I just see a random game or accessory, and the weekly deals are only on the generic Video Games Deals page.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Holy crap! I love Amazon... they grouped my separate orders together without me asking, and delivered them yesterday, a day earlier than estimated :D

Syndicate is really badass. Its like an RPG-lite Deus Ex:HR except its not dreadfully boring.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Holy crap! I love Amazon... they grouped my separate orders together without me asking, and delivered them yesterday, a day earlier than estimated :D

Syndicate is really badass. Its like an RPG-lite Deus Ex:HR except its not dreadfully boring.

Make sure you play the co-op, it's a lot of fun.

Reynolds wrote: »
    Did Amazon drop the Video Games Deal of the Day page? When I go there I just see a random game or accessory, and the weekly deals are only on the generic Video Games Deals page.

Yeah, they changed it. It's not as awesome now. :(

Twisted Metal PS3 40$

Uncharted 3 + 1 Month of PS+ 40$

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Well, that's crappy. I guess that's one less thing to check every day.

uyvfOQy.png
    The latest Gamefly nightly deals:

Gears of War 3 $18, Infamous 2 $15, Homefront (360) $8

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Gears 3 and Infamous 2 are totally worth it at that price. Dang.

Infamous 2 really does seem to be a great deal... the cheapest Amazon has it right now is $20.

I played the first Infamous and was kinda "meh" about it. Will I like Infamous 2 better?

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Infamous 2 really does seem to be a great deal... the cheapest Amazon has it right now is $20.

I played the first Infamous and was kinda "meh" about it. Will I like Infamous 2 better?

Not sure. What was "meh" about it? Inf 2 changed some things, but I don't know if it changed anything that you care about.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I didn't play the first one, but Infamous 2 is pretty awesome. It does a good job of making you feel like an asshole with superpowers. Or a Jesus with superpowers, I guess...

I dunno, it was easier to do things like blow up refugee camps to get from point A to B instead of not blowing up the refugee camps and being careful. So, I wasn't exactly a "good guy"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Renzo wrote: »

Not sure. What was "meh" about it? Inf 2 changed some things, but I don't know if it changed anything that you care about.

...I'm having a hard time articulating it. I couldn't get into the characters all that much (why does Cole talk like a grizzly bear?), the plot didn't really hook me, I got a little tired fighting the same guys over and over and over, and flying and zapping around the city was fun but not really joyful. I mean, I liked the experience, but at no point did I go "holy crap this is awesome!" I dunno. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Batman games.

Renzo wrote: »

...I'm having a hard time articulating it. I couldn't get into the characters all that much (why does Cole talk like a grizzly bear?), the plot didn't really hook me, I got a little tired fighting the same guys over and over and over, and flying and zapping around the city was fun but not really joyful. I mean, I liked the experience, but at no point did I go "holy crap this is awesome!" I dunno. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Batman games.

Those are all core things about Infamous 1 and 2. So they didn't change. The characters and cutscenes and combat all improved, but it's still about tooling around a city as a possibly-evil/possibly-good electric super-guy and killing bad dudes.

The major change that I liked was the attention to melee combat. A lot people wanted to use melee in 1, so they added a melee weapon and made it awesome for 2. It's not revolutionary, but it's satisfying and has some upgrades and such.

They also added a bunch of variations on each power plus new powers, and made it easy to switch between them at any time.

Hm. I probably should play it at some point... then again I just finished a months-long Skyrim/Mass Effect 3 binge and I'm looking for something short and stupid. So I'm not really in the right state of mind.

At any rate, thanks Renzo and carry on, game deals thread.

This discussion has been closed.