As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]GuildWarLands 2: 96.5% more wuvwuv PRE-ORDER DETAILS IN OP OMGYES!

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    steejee wrote: »
    About the only thing I go into GameStops for nowadays is to sift through their used games for anything that's hard to find. I know it's their job, but sometimes I reallly feel like punching the staff for pushing preorders on clueless parents 'little 8 year old timmy will want CoD 834!' 'didnt you just get that timmy?" 'NOO mom, that was CoD 830 SUPER EDITION' 'Yes, he'll want it! It'll be very awesome and unlike anything you've seen, and for just $5 you can guarentee you'll have it at release when the entire population of Boston comes to this one store to get it!'

If they would have released the day after Evacuation Day you wouldn't have that problem; they'd all be too hungover to move.

am0n on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Pre-purchase is April 10.

Do we have info on when you have to have pre-purchased by in order to get access to betas? I assume it's just, "anytime before a beta." I'm thinking of not pre-purchasing on Day 1 and holding out in the hope they'll provide more info on the DDE.

What is this I don't even.
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gamestop is only fun when the staff is clueless and you can find Suikoden II for $15.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Though there was the one employee who just sorta gave me a resigned look after a parent bought some M rated gorefest for their probably 6-10year old - he told her the usual about blood, violence, torture, etc in the game, and her only response was 'No nudity, right?' (it may have been something more crass, like 'There's no boobs in it though?'), I felt for that guy. He was making a real effort to convince her she probably shouldn't buy the very M-rated game for her little kid, but she just didn't care.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    You know, the people notorious for fucking customers over on preorders? There's a good chance they'll make me preorder the prepurchase or some stupid shit like that and then lose my money. There's a reason I've done all of my game purchases from Amazon for the past year+ now.

I'm with you on this one. I'm buying the DDE directly from NC Soft, because I don't want to do anything that could affect me getting into the BWE as soon as possible. I just simply don't trust Gamestop. And I'm not going to drop $150 on something, then have to FIGHT for the most important part, that I could've paid $70 less for an gotten without a hitch.

Honestly, the only way I would purchase one is directly, or through Amazon, where I've never had a problem. I wouldn't mind if Arenanet sold some CE's directly, and expressed explicitly NO RETURNS. WHEN YOU CLICK BUY, IT'S YOURS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting that the pre-purchase from the GW2 site is £50 for just the regular edition :\

Cancelled my Diablo 3 CE for a regular one because otherwise I can't get both games, alas.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    Shen wrote: »
    I keep forgetting that the pre-purchase from the GW2 site is £50 for just the regular edition :\

Cancelled my Diablo 3 CE for a regular one because otherwise I can't get both games, alas.

Just cancel your D3 order in general and go all in for GW2, seems like the logical solution =)

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    But D3 regular is just an entirely reasonable £30, and its £70 CE is significantly more impressive than GW2's £65 DDE :(

I need to stop buying so many CEs anyway, I have a problem.

ladi.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I like buying directly from the company when I can. especially digitally. It means as much of my money goes directly to the company as possible with no bullshit in between.

If I were to prepurchase a CE then Gamestop would take a bite, so would their distributor, packaging manufacturers, and so on down the line.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Entaru wrote: »
    I like buying directly from the company when I can. especially digitally. It means as much of my money goes directly to the company as possible with no bullshit in between.

If I were to prepurchase a CE then Gamestop would take a bite, so would their distributor, packaging manufacturers, and so on down the line.

Yes exactly... except when the company decides to take advantage of that fact. Witcher 2 on GoG? Ridiculously good value, hells yes I'm going to support that. Diablo 3 digital download? Err, why is it £45 when I can get it on Amazon for £30...

I'm okay with GW2's £50 price tag because I don't mind paying £10 for some beta access (again, as opposed to WoW's £80 or whatever the year sub would total).

ladi.png
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    am0n wrote: »
    Hewn wrote: »
    What are the odds we get a release date with our pre-purchase?

Low. One would think it'd make sense, but game companies are making less and less sense these days. I imagine you will pre-purchase and we'll hear a release date probably a month and a half to two months prior to release.

One reason for the pre-purchase may be that NCSoft is running low on cash. Rather than going "our money runs out August 3rd, so that's our release date", ANet may be looking to use prepurchase to fill the coffers so they can push the Money Countdown back a bit.

On that basis, I'd imagine that the release date will be announced a week or to after prepurchase goes on sale - once they can make the revised calculations of (New Money Total)/(Money Burned Per Day) | (Time Until We Think It's "Finished")

Archangle on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i got the impression that the prepurchase thing was a way to filter down the literal one million beta applicants down to a more manageable number

and they said in january that they were planning on having several betas (like, past the initial closed ones) with rapid iterations in between, one per month until the game is really finished.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I just re-read the things included in the DDE and I don't think I can really justify it. The only things permanent in it are the elite skill and the mini, the rest are all single use stuff so not very useful long term. Maybe if the banker was permanent, but access for only 5 days is useless. Hopefully shryke is right and the takeup on the DDE will be low and they add to it.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    i got the impression that the prepurchase thing was a way to filter down the literal one million beta applicants down to a more manageable number

and they said in january that they were planning on having several betas (like, past the initial closed ones) with rapid iterations in between, one per month until the game is really finished.

I dont think its ment to wittle down the numbers at all. Anet could easily have a million prepurchases or more.

Prepurchase dollars will probably go to setting up servers. By having us prepurchase they can easily estimate server demands, and also at the same time have the money to meet that demand.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I actually wonder how much of a cut the company gets. The publisher still probably get's the lion's share, leaving the game design team a pretty small amount. The game design team got paid over the last several years while they worked on it. Good sales just encourages their publisher to give them money for their next project.

What is this I don't even.
    Draygo wrote: »

I dont think its ment to wittle down the numbers at all. Anet could easily have a million prepurchases or more.

Prepurchase dollars will probably go to setting up servers. By having us prepurchase they can easily estimate server demands, and also at the same time have the money to meet that demand.

there is no way that every single person who signed up for the beta is going to pre-purchase :P

No, but remember beta signups were only for 50 hours. Prepurchase is going to be open a lot longer.

And what is WoWs current suscription number again? Whats the total population of guild wars 1 that have done things in the HoM?

By the time release rolls around they could have a million prepurchases. It would not suprise me.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I am going to buy this game and make my main character, and then I'm going to spend all my other slots making Charr name reservations so nobody else can take them.

Prince Charrming will be mine.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Draygo wrote: »
    No, but remember beta signups were only for 50 hours. Prepurchase is going to be open a lot longer.

And what is WoWs current suscription number again? Whats the total population of guild wars 1 that have done things in the HoM?

By the time release rolls around they could have a million prepurchases. It would not suprise me.

A lot of people did sign up for multiple beta accounts, and filling out a quick form for free is a lot different than putting down $60+ straight up, especially if refunds are questionable. I'd be surprised if it even hit 1mil pre-orders. I have a hard time imagining it going above 100k pre-purchases (which would be fantastic for ANet nonetheless). For as excited as people on the net get about GW2, it doesn't have the branding of Bioware/Star Wars, the funds of EA, or the massive size of Blizzard-Activision. GW has been active the last few months due to HoM, but it's still a shadow compared to how many played it a few years back.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I am going to buy this game and make my main character, and then I'm going to spend all my other slots making Charr name reservations so nobody else can take them.

Prince Charrming will be mine.

New Character name: 'Help I got stuck in charrgen'

Huggles on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I am going to buy and play this game.

AND play? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

I will buy this game and put a wig on it.

Every night I will braid her hair lovingly. Her name will be Charrarella.

As the days pass Charrarella will temptingly open her sweet sensuous cardboard to taste the lustful insides. Every day I will be tempted and politely refuse, for I am a gentleman and will only be able to taste her willingly under the watchful eyes of the Lord.

When she becomes of age, Charrarella and I will engage in the most holy of unions and our gifts will intertwine. I will fill her up with all the love of my heart and she will support it with a lovely cash shop and future expansion packs.

Life will be complete

That's Beautiful.

And Creepy.

Creepily Beautiful.
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    So are we all going straight into Wuwuv in the open betas? I'm thinking that's going to be the most fun thing to do for just a weekend.
    That is where I will be and I will most likely roll a support warrior for the beta. Traited banners/greatsword for attacking and longbow/rifle/shouts for defense.

Someone is going to have to help me carry these banners, I got four of them.

I think you're going to find your "defense" build much more useful, overall. With a melee weapon in one of the weapon swap slots of course.

26904.png
  • RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »
    Basically, I'm saying that my decision between Standard and DDE and CE is that I'm gunning for the CE no matter what, as long as I can get in BWE. :lol:

All 3 pre-purchases give you a BWE invite...

I know that all three give you the BWE.

Let me try again, since you still don't quite understand. In order to actually prepurchase the CE and thus qualify for the weekend events, I have to physically purchase the game from Gamestop.

Gamestop.

You know, the people notorious for fucking customers over on preorders? There's a good chance they'll make me preorder the prepurchase or some stupid shit like that and then lose my money. There's a reason I've done all of my game purchases from Amazon for the past year+ now.

So, I'm interested in getting the Collector's Edition over all other editions as long as Gamestop doesn't try to fuck me over. If they do, then I'll have to settle for a Digital Edition from NC Soft directly.

As wet as the CE makes me get, I'm not choosing it over beta access, if it comes down to it.

That is completely different than what you have said. You've previously said you'll get the CE no matter what. Now you are saying you'll get it as long as Gamestop doesn't fuck you over. Completely Different.

I understand your feelings about Gamestop. I haven't shopped there in years.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    I can't decide which Mesmer flavor to play.

Caster-style Confusion/Glamour/Blind Mesmer:
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3gb800kkl2l3kql970ap0pabrc3cqe5l7lh
    vs.
    Melee with Lots of Illusions and Shattering them
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3g29g0kkl5l4l7l970a00uukll3l4l8ldleli

My regular group will probably be a Guardian, Thief, myself and occasionally an Elementalist. I'm guessing the caster-style would probably complement the group better but the lots of illusions style sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Can't wait for the preorder to open up so I can get in on a beta weekend and try both builds :P

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    As far as "complementing" the group, it is good to try for that, but it is difficult to say how that will work just from theorizing. It will also depend quite a bit on what the Guardian, Thief and Elementalist are specced as.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    So apparently, EBGames (powered by GameStop) Canada has "sold out" all of their CE copies. Seems they are doing the same B.S. "pre-order" for the "pre-purchase" boxes that we get next week, and demand was such that all of the "pre-purchase" CE boxes have already been "pre-ordered". So if you live in Canada and were planning on going to a EBGames store to buy a CE next week, you can cancel those plans, 'cause they're already sold out. The only way you're getting a CE from EBGames (Canada) is if someone flakes out and cancels their "pre-order" before the weekend.

Yeah.

GameStop.

26904.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Cant' really blame Gamestop for that. As soon as ANet announced a CE, people were going to go to gamestop and ask to throw down $10 to reserve it. The fact that ANet isn't opening up the prepurchase program until 4/10 is not Gamestop's problem. If anybody failed, it was ANet for not announcing the partners for the prepurchase as soon as they announced the editions, because at least then the people wanting the physical CE would've known what they needed to do.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Arenanet should have made it clear to their retail partners and us what the process was. I'm glad that I decided to drop in on Monday to throw down money on a pre-order for the pre-purchase.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Cant' really blame Gamestop for that. As soon as ANet announced a CE, people were going to go to gamestop and ask to throw down $10 to reserve it. The fact that ANet isn't opening up the prepurchase program until 4/10 is not Gamestop's problem. If anybody failed, it was ANet for not announcing the partners for the prepurchase as soon as they announced the editions, because at least then the people wanting the physical CE would've known what they needed to do.

I think we can blame Gamestop for that. What kind of retarded company allows pre-orders for a pre-purchase? It is Gamestop's decision to allow that, not ANet's.

I think its perfectly fine to allow pre-orders of a limited supply product.

That way people who work like me, arnt going to have to go at some god aweful time on tuesday/monday night to pick up the game or risk it being out of stock.

As long as they dont fuck me over of course.

just because people were wondering about it yesterday

"There will be a Beta Weekend Event at the end of April, but we don't have a firm date yet. ~RB2"

so that means it's either 20th or 27th :P

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    C'moooon 27th, when I've got my Internet back from my move...

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    I'm going to assume the 27th because it'll give more people time to pre-purchase. However, it's possible that everyone who's interested in prepurchasing are going to jump on it the day it comes out.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

I think we can blame Gamestop for that. What kind of retarded company allows pre-orders for a pre-purchase? It is Gamestop's decision to allow that, not ANet's.

Gamestop is going to get a limited number of collector's editions of the game. They're going to sell preorders for those as soon as they're available. ANet could've told them not to begin taking preorders until april 10th, but they clearly didn't.

i really hope it's the 20th because i have a thing on the 27th and the 20th is right after my exams end

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular

Gamestop is going to get a limited number of collector's editions of the game. They're going to sell preorders for those as soon as they're available. ANet could've told them not to begin taking preorders until april 10th, but they clearly didn't.

I'm pretty sure the developer has no say in what gamestop can take preorders for or not. I recall being able to put a preorder on a sequel to a game that wasn't even announced yet years ago. That was pretty much the last time I bought anything at gamestop.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure the developer has no say in what gamestop can take preorders for or not. I recall being able to put a preorder on a sequel to a game that wasn't even announced yet years ago. That was pretty much the last time I bought anything at gamestop.

To answer your earlier question; a smart company.

Just one of the many smart reasons; if it's true that you get a box with a CD key (beta key, whatever it is) of some sort for pre-purchasing, how would GameStop know how many to ship to each store? They can guess, sure, and potentially be left with stock at some store that didn't sell as many. Or they could offer a pre-order on it, sell out prior to shipping any stock to any store, and know exactly how many boxes have to go to each store. Sounds like the efficient way to do it to me.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    In the end, if you're only going to offer the product through one retail channel in an entire country, it behooves you to inform your fans of the way things are going to play out. I don't know who is responsible at Anet for coordinating with the retail stores, but it would have been nice to see an official word on the matter.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/comments/exclusive-interview-with-arenanet-beta-insights-and-skills

Looks like we have a new siege weapon for doors (battering ram?) incoming before release.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Here's hoping there'll be a tutorial for WvW. If that last siege weapon does turn out to be battering rams, that would be pretty cool.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    I wonder what they mean by fearing that the Asura and Sylvari starting areas could be spoilery. Do they just mean they don't want to give them all away so more people will be encouraged to play them at release? I don't think they'd be silly enough to put actual plot spoilers in 2 starting areas.

Still, kinda silly that they're doing all this beta testing and not letting people beta test 2 of the races. I hope that doesn't bite anyone in the rear.

SpaceGarSig.png
This discussion has been closed.