As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sam Kinison - 20 years in hell

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
This upcoming Tuesday, the 10th of April, is going to be the 20th anniversary of Sam Kinison's death. Which means he died probably before some forumers here were even born.

I can't say I grew up listening to his comedy. Shit, I was only seven years old when he died. My first memory of him was the news that he had been killed in a car wreck. But from that moment on I would watch his comedy (and few films) whenever possible. The guy was hysterical. He was known for a few things; a former minister, ex-wives, a wild lifestyle, and SCREAMING HIS FUCKING LUNGS OUT. To the media at large he was very much an immoral bad boy. But really if you listened to anything he would say when not performing his act, he was a gentler guy than he appeared.

If you need a summary of things, uh, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSwG9Tojg9I

Most people probably know him from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GnyOIRRtY

They've been running a week long special on the Howard Stern channels on satellite radio for Sam Kinison, featuring all his appearances on the show (goddamn there's a lot), intercut with some bits he did from his stand-up. For as loud and crazy he seemed, he was really cutting it back the last couple of years of his life. Or trying to. He had relapses with alcohol and coke and all, but he knew what was right. And ironically, some other fucker buzzed out of his mind ended up killing him, rather than Kinison dying of his own crazy life. Ain't that some shit.

Henroid on

• Options
    Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
    That's where I knew him from. Old Howard Stern replays when he would visit and that really old infomercial selling his videos.

Crazy big presence on stage

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    That's where I knew him from. Old Howard Stern replays when he would visit and that really old infomercial selling his videos.

Crazy big presence on stage

Yep, that was pretty much my exposure to him as a kid.

The one line from that infomercial that I can still remember is, "Any man who's been married more than twice can be a tour guide in hell."

Don't know why that's stuck with me.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think his ex-girlfriends / ex-wives stuff was his best, by a long shot. I remember that line, Ladai, but I can't remember the infomercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV1dyV9d_1k

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I remember him.

He screamed a lot.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    Kinison was an interesting dude and a good comedian that too many people dismissed just because he'd shout and swear.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Kinison is a guy who doesn't get enough posthumus acclaim. He is basically all that was good and bad about the 80s rolled into one glorious fireball of a life.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    he spent a lot of his minister career around near my hometown. So as I grew up I got to watch his career take off. I remember very clearly the day he died.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Kinison was an interesting dude and a good comedian that too many people dismissed just because he'd shout and swear.

It's really weird listening back to content from the late 80's, when I was too young to be aware of anything, and hearing about the shit that shocked society. And these days, that stuff is by and large just accepted.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think Dan Fogler wants to play him in a biographical film.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »

It's really weird listening back to content from the late 80's, when I was too young to be aware of anything, and hearing about the shit that shocked society. And these days, that stuff is by and large just accepted.

2 Live Crew is my go-to example for this.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Sam Kinison was one of my mom's favorite comedians, so I got to hear him a lot in the house growing up.

I liked him a lot and was pleasantly surprised when I saw him pop up in Back to School (which I didn't see till yeeeaars later on Comedy Central)

• Options
    weather man bobweather man bob El Heffer Assholeville USARegistered User regular
    Wasn't he that ex preacher who became a coke head and fucked prostitutes and made a shitty music video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By_SJfLa73w

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    When I was young my parents had HBO and I would check the listings and wait until they went to bed and sneak down to watch stand-up specials. Kinison was one of my favorites. I always loved his energy. Other comics always seemed like they were hedging on their personality, hiding. Sam never hid. I needed that back then.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Wasn't he that ex preacher who became a coke head and fucked prostitutes and made a shitty music video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By_SJfLa73w

Aren't you that tired, bitter goose who rarely has anything relevant to add?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The screaming thing with Sam seems like all he does unless you sit and listen to his stuff. It's there but it's not his whole routine. I love Rawdog on Sirius. Hear a lot of his stuff on there.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    The greatest impression of Sam Kinison ever. I saw this guy at a comedy club, and he puts most other impersonators to shame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZW2aMG0-MM

• Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's only two things I remember about Sam Kinison:

The wife stuff, and the fact that I remember seeing a few cartoons reference him and his yelling.

Sure brings back that 80s feeling though. Damn.

Newtron on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I only really remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXkRAMEdmEY

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    it irritates the fuck out of me that bill hicks and sam kinison died young but dickheads like carlos mencia will probably live to be a thousand

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Mitch Hedberg, John Belushi, Chris Farley, etc, etc

What is it about comedy?

Newtron on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh I know.

Drugs.

Someone get Mencia a bag. (or is it a gram? an ounce? Whatre some drug measurments?)

Newtron on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    it irritates the fuck out of me that bill hicks and sam kinison died young but dickheads like carlos mencia will probably live to be a thousand

+1.

During Bush II's presidency, you could listen to Bill's standup from during Bush I's term and you'd swear he was talking about current events.

Bill didn't die to self destruction, like some of the others you mentioned. Cancer killed him.

Also, I will never forgive myself for passing up the chance to see Mitch right before he died at the Funnybone in Columbus. I figured I'd just catch him the next time, and he was dead like two weeks later, IIRC.

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    The screaming thing with Sam seems like all he does unless you sit and listen to his stuff. It's there but it's not his whole routine. I love Rawdog on Sirius. Hear a lot of his stuff on there.

Oh cool I'm not the only person who listens to that station. :^:

• Options
    Newtron wrote: »
    Oh I know.

Drugs.

Someone get Mencia a bag. (or is it a gram? an ounce? Whatre some drug measurments?)

Bullshit it's drugs, because Kinison was killed by some other fuckhead. Though they did find cocaine on his possession. IRRELEVANT THOUGH

Also Greg Giraldo is another comedian we lost early.

• Options
    Oh I know.

Drugs.

kinison died in a car crash

• Options
    I meant in general.

Although I could argue that kinison died due to a drunken teenager, so died of drugs by proxy.

• Options
    That kid sucks. Worst teenager ever.

It's fucked up. Kinison's last appearance on the Stern Show in 1991 (December) was him on the phone and Richard Simmons was in studio. There was talk of Kinison going into Richard's program. Would've been great to see how that turned out.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Mencia's deal with the devil is Legend.

(see what i did there)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Oh I know.

Drugs.

Bullshit it's drugs, because Kinison was killed by some other fuckhead. Though they did find cocaine on his possession. IRRELEVANT THOUGH

WHAT oh fuck no. :(

This is the first I've heard of that, that guy ruled. Dammit.

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Oh I know.

Drugs.

WHAT oh fuck no. :(

This is the first I've heard of that, that guy ruled. Dammit.

He died like a year and a half ago, I think it was sleeping pill related. It bummed me the fuck out. The day it happened Jon Stewart kinda gave a eulogy at the end of TDS.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I always wonder what comedy gold we would have if we still had Kinison and Farley with us.

Kinison had a good presence and was a really funny guy

• Options
    chris farley

he was funny

but I'm not lamenting that one

dude lived hard and the bill came

which sucks, don't get me wrong

I guess what I'm trying to say is that his act wasn't exactly rife with incisive social commentary and so I find it hard to be all "man I wish he was alive"

• Options
    I don't know, I think we all would benefit from knowing the life of a man who lives in a van

down by the river

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    oh my god you guys

sam kinison

i love y'all

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    If it was a choice between Kinison and Farley surviving, I'd choose Kinison without any hesitation whatsoever.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Did Farley ever do standup? Chris Farley was an amazing physical comedian but there wasn't much else going on there.

• Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    First time I saw kinneson was on a Rodney Dangerfield HBO special, the first of many he did, I think. But that first show introduced a lot of surprising names. I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    Did Farley ever do standup? Chris Farley was an amazing physical comedian but there wasn't much else going on there.

I don't think he did. If so he certainly wasn't notable for it.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I always wished I could see a long conversation between bill hicks, george carlin, sam kinnison, and lenny bruce

Sometimes I think I need to make an art film about this

7656367.jpg