As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Velveeta cheese product is the first cheese product to gain the American Medical Association's seal of approval. (true)

Velveeta cheese product is not considered a certified kosher product. (true)

About 5% of the population buys about 75% of all Velveeta cheese product sold in the United States. (true)

Velveeta cheese product may permanently attach itself to exposed skin. (true)

Velveeta cheese product may spontaneously accelerate to dangerous speeds. (unconfirmed)

If Velveeta cheese product begins smoking or vibrating at a high frequency, seek immediate shelter. (unconfirmed)

Do not taunt Velveeta cheese product. (unconfirmed)

• Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    Truly, the Happy Fun Ball of the food world.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I had to click the link to realize that that was an SNL skit, and not a Portal reference.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Texture can be about contrast, but doesn't have to be.

Contrasting textures can work and be interesting, but they are not a requirement of every dish under the sun.

@fyndir is correct.
    While contrast is excellent at times, every dish doesn't need to have multiple textures.
    In fact, that would be weird.

Personally I can get behind a nice crust on a baked mac, but ONLY if it doesn't come at the expense of it being creamy as well.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    really, in the end, stop being such a snob and try velveeta

I did and hated it, but it was not mixed with anything so

ahh, well then you were just eating oil and dye, and whatever else is in velveeta.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    also, @neville

tell me what you want and I'll make sure you get it

:winky:

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    also, @neville

tell me what you want and I'll make sure you get it

:winky:

You continue to be the damn best.

Pickles and/or jam would be awesome.
    Pickles because I haven't had yours before and I love spicy pickles (sweet are cool too).
    Jam because yours is world-class and I'd love to use it to make a cheesecake or two soon. I still rank the one I made with your peach preserves as one of the top 3 I've ever made.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I am roasting some brussel sprouts, using this recipe.

They have been cooking for about 15 minutes now and are starting to get sort of burnt on the outside. should I reduce the heat?

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    that's the tasty part

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I concur with my duplicate

you don't want them to get too burnt, but a bit of charring on the outside is desirable

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    they are done
    i think there is a bit too much charring, but i like them
    we will see what my wife thinks

i should some other veggies sometime soon

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I know making pickles has been difficult fit Stale lately; if he'd like to give my jar to Neville he is welcome to!

Also I think baked Mac n cheese vs non baked is perhaps another US/UK divide thing, because certainly I never had it baked growing up. As a result I do prefer it non-baked, although really it's Mac n cheese, not exactly a gourmet dish, so I'll eat it however it comes.

• Options

[quote="Janson;22724480"]I know making pickles has been difficult fit Stale lately; if he'd like to give my jar to Neville he is welcome to!
    [/quote]

what? no!
    If Dan can't make me anything I'm ok with that. I shall not take things from people who donated, though!

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The chocolate ice cream I made last night turned out fantastic.

Today I shall be snickerdoodling and chicken marbella-ing for the picnic tomorrow, but I was wondering, does @Stale or anyone else still have the recipe for baked ham that he posted a while ago? My friend wants it to make an Easter ham.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Made a nice spinach omelette this morning and some fresh brewed coffee this morning.

I'm using a light roasted bean though and it's such a bitch to grind though.

@yaya make the vegetarian dish in the second Scott pilgrim book.

And garlic bread.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Made a nice spinach omelette this morning and some fresh brewed coffee this morning.

I'm using a light roasted bean though and it's such a bitch to grind though.

@yaya make the vegetarian dish in the second Scott pilgrim book.

And garlic bread.

you don't really get this whole 'no leavened bread on passover' thing, huh

• Options
    okay so I'm going with this

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

but instead of macaroni (which has yeast so counts as not passover friendly) I am going to use broken up pieces of matzah instead

can anyone think of a reason why this won't work?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Flat garlic bread.

Well.

Garlic naan then.

Rally now I'm looking for a reason to make naan now.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Pasta is traditionally flour and egg. Dried also has water.

Maybe the store bought ones have yeast in them?

Blake T on
  • Options
    I just checked, apparently anything made with flour (other than matzah which is specially done) is technically out

on that note I am sort of passed caring and have little to no interest in actually keeping to the rules beyond the obvious stuff like bread, this is mostly Dad's thing and I'll probably just cook it when he's not around

• Options
    I am making a dessert appropriate to the holiday.
    I am using marshmallow peeps to make:
    SMORES CHEESECAKE.
    I am your God.
    :3

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    passover rules are so weird

I get the leavened bread thing

but then there are rules against legumes and certain grains

at least haroset exists

• Options
    MY IDEAS ARE RAD, BB.
    Admit it!

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Passover rules are a bit odd, yeah

I'm sure there are reasons for them

but I wonder how many are just finicky interpretations, and how many are really rules

• Options
    well yes it does sound rad

• Options
    yesssss
    i am excited
    :D

also one of my friends challenged me to make something delicious and dessert-y with matzah
    but we ended up getting super busy with school so i never did

but i think i could

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    matzah is good for one thing

matzah brei, which is quite delicious

other than that, it is good for nothing

• Options
    but if anyone can make an awesome matzah dessert, it is you, neville!

• Options
    matzah is funny because jewish folks usually hate it and nonjews love it

• Options
    neville wrote: »
    SMORES CHEESECAKE.
    I am your God.

give meeeeee

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    SMORES CHEESECAKE.
    I am your God.

give meeeeee

see if i move up there, you will have constant access to my desserts! :D

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Heck I'd give you a monthly dessert stipend, too

• Options
    Heck I'd give you a monthly dessert stipend, too

!!!
    Checks made out to me.
    For line: "The fattening."

:D

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Haha exactly

Although I wouldn't want to get too fat so we'd have to gather everyone together once a month for a grand tasting

• Options
    In Seattle my friends and I gamed on weekends and we'd rotate dinner duty.
    When it was your turn (or a couple's turn), you could either buy dinner somewhere for us or make stuff.

It was a lot of fun and I got to make a lot of yummy things I might not have made otherwise (cooking for 1 is blah)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    I would love to do something like that. I did in the UK, and like you say it was a great way to try new recipes. Even cooking for 2 is not much better than 1.

The last few weeks my dinners have mostly consisted of leftovers, sandwiches and bowls of cereal!

It's mainly been hard for us all here in the bay area because everyone has such different schedules, but Mori should be having more weekends off, and I should definitely get to organizing get togethers.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    In Seattle my friends and I gamed on weekends and we'd rotate dinner duty.
    When it was your turn (or a couple's turn), you could either buy dinner somewhere for us or make stuff.

It was a lot of fun and I got to make a lot of yummy things I might not have made otherwise (cooking for 1 is blah)

We did this in college! Except without the gaming. We had Sunday Night Dinners and the location would rotate; you could spend a lot or a little, you just had to feed everyone once a go-round. It was great. I miss it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I would love to do something like that. I did in the UK, and like you say it was a great way to try new recipes. Even cooking for 2 is not much better than 1.

The last few weeks my dinners have mostly consisted of leftovers, sandwiches and bowls of cereal!

It's mainly been hard for us all here in the bay area because everyone has such different schedules, but Mori should be having more weekends off, and I should definitely get to organizing get togethers.

Well right now I'm only talking to one place in Seattle actively.
    EVERYWHERE else is in the bay area or Palo Alto. So I'm pretty excited about that.

I'd LOVE to do this if I end up there, Janson!
    I had a ton of fun when we all went out to that random chinese place that Ipsi found us

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    just spent three hours cleaning the kitchen, reorg, etc., after Big Ass Burger night and the disaster area that remained.

now making a batch of those hot cross buns.

why does the flour always go everywhere?

5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    It is part of the joy of being a baker

If you aren't making a small-scale catastrophe you're doing it wrong

Or at least not the fun way

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.