As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Firefall] Borderlands, Halo, Tribes, and Starship Troopers Had a Baby

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2012
    Well then. A brief impression of the battleframes (aka classes).

You can switch battleframe at any time, and you level each one up separately, which determines the gear and modules you can use.

You have four gear slots: the Battleframe that determines your class, a Pack that sits on your back and looks cool, a primary and a secondary weapon.

edit: each item slot then have X module slots you can stick assorted modifying modules in, like +clip size for weapons etc.

The secondary weapons seem to be usable by all classes - at least what I've seen so far: an assault rifle and a shotgun. These also have infinite ammo. Mainly intended as backup weapons when the shit hits the fan, but I found myself using a shotgun a whole lot on my Engineer to peel nasty buggers off my thumpers.

The primary weapons are the signature guns for your class. Recons get sniper rifles (and maybe more, I dunno yet), Dreadnaughts get TF2 Heavy-style miniguns, Engineers have a repair gun with a secondary damaging attack, Medics get a medigun, and so on.

There might be more weapons, but I haven't seen any so far.

There are different versions of weapons - think WoW random stats and stuff, as well as weapon abilities. The default Dread minigun has an alt-fire that puts a shield in front of you, but I found one that replaced the shield with a spin-up so you can prepare and start with the dakka at once.

Assaults get Plasma Cannons - different versions I've seen are the default scatter-fire spread blast, and one that fires three plasma bolts in quick succession but lower damage for each one.

Engineers have homing alt-fire bolts, and a variant with faster, more damaging dumbfire blasts.

As for the usability of the classes, I've only done PVE since I'm uninterested in PVP. But the Medic feels fairly useless in PVE so far - since you'll be hunkering down around your thumper to protect it it seems you're way better off bringing an Engineer that can drop a repair station as well as a turret, in addition to blasting bugs himself, rather than following someone around and shooting glowy beams at someone's ass.

Crafting: think kinda-sorta EVE Online. Ish.

You have a number of crafting slots at a manufactory. You get the required materials, stick a blueprint into one, and press craft. Then you wait. Some stuff takes 20 seconds, some stuff takes an hour.

Thumpers come in different sizes, and naturally give more stuff for bigger ones. But they also attract bigger gribblies while thumping.

You can't just drop a thumper anywhere; first you need to find a good spot.

This is, as everybody knows, accomplished by smacking the ground with a big honking hammer. (Yes, you can also squash bugs with it.)

Since you are psychic, this tells you what you find underground. It seems you ideally want something with a mix of ore types, and fairly high of one type of ore, but nobody's quite certain yet. Either way, once you've found a nice spot, just call down a thumper.

You've all seen the videos of what happens next. Thumper thumps, bugs attack, etc.

I've mainly played Engineer, since they're great at setting up camps around a thumper and keep the bugs at bay. Assault and Dread can manage it nicely too, but for Engineers it's a cakewalk.

That's with a tiny thumper (the smallest class) though; I haven't had enough materials to craft the next size up yet.

When in a party the thumper rewards don't seem to be distributed; everybody gets as much as if they were doing it solo, but it's of course a whole lot easier doing it as a group.

Echo on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm CorriganX ingame. I started in a different town when I logged in today. I was scared and logged out immediately. D:

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, me too, and it was a ghost town. But Copacabana is just a quick walk away without enemies on the route.

Currently waiting for my refining to get done, then I need to get some crystalite, then I can make a light thumper!

Echo on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I've mostly been playing as a Medic. I've been using my forum name as my character name.
    I've also tried Sniper and Assault. Sniper is fun, but I've found it to be a bit more tedious.

One thing I notice is that at the top of the boards there's always engineers. I think it's cuz they set up turrets in locations unaccessible by the bugs, and just rack up the kills. On the other hand, that's exactly how I get lots of kills with a Sniper. I just shoot the big bugs that the turrets have weakened. ^^

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, the "helping random people for an extended time but rewarding you with nothing" seemed like an odd choice. I was thinking/hoping/assuming that it would join you together if you were either within the area long enough, or within the area at the end. Not so much so you can get access to their resources, but so you don't have to turn around and do the quest all over again. Oh well though.

One shitty thing that happened was my thumper got destroyed and I don't have enough resources to create a new one. So..... I guess my only real option is to buy the crystals I need from someone or something. Or start a new character.

Edit: I'm sure I sound ignorant as hell to game mechanics, so I apologize. I haven't had much of a chance to sit down and read about the inner workings of the game.

Decoy on
    As for refining, there are different kinds of blueprints.

There's a Coralite Refining 1A that turns 100 Coralite Ore into one Refined Coralite Ore (takes 7:30 minutes); and then there's a 1B version that takes 1000 Coralite Ore, and I'm presuming it gives 10 refined ore, which takes 37:30 minutes. Probably higher tiers for when you really have tons of stuff to refine.

• spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    You have to either A) drop the thumper yourself or B) be in a group that dropped the thumper. After you send it back you get the resources(in a group it is split between all the ppl evenly).

The light thumper holds a TON more resources than the tiny, so I would recommend getting to it FAST.

I really like the recon because it's rifle bullets penetrate enemies, ie. you can line em up and drop em down.

The engineer is super powerful in PvE, and probably just as powerful in PvP if played right.

The medic is not as good as I was hoping(at least for the first 6 levels). The healing is very slow compared to dps in PvP, so you aren't going to be like a tf2 medic and save everyone. The good things about them is that they rez ppl faster and can insta rez ppl with defibrillator.

I haven't tried the other 2 dps classes yet(assault and dreadnought) because everyone and their dog are already those classes.

PS: 4gb of memory is not enough for the game as of yet. I get a crash usually every 3 zones I go through (Im thinking memory leak somewhere which should be fixed by launch).

steam_sig.png
    Decoy wrote: »
    One shitty thing that happened was my thumper got destroyed and I don't have enough resources to create a new one. So..... I guess my only real option is to buy the crystals I need from someone or something. Or start a new character.

There are those nodes you blow up with sonic grenades (that only require crystite to build), that you can use to make tiny thumpers.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The NDA has lifted!

So, this isn't fantastic yet but I'm putting that down to there not being enough content.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Echo wrote: »

There are those nodes you blow up with sonic grenades (that only require crystite to build), that you can use to make tiny thumpers.

Ahh. Cool, thanks. It probably would behoove me to just create a new char and redo the PVE tutorial.

Decoy on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the leak is annoying.
    After a half hour I start noticing the framerate drop. Although watching the process in Task Manager doesn't really show it increasing much, so I don't know exactly what's going on. After three hours it's a slideshow.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The NDA has lifted!

So, this isn't fantastic yet but I'm putting that down to there not being enough content.

I find it to have some pretty tantalizing concepts and ideas, but yeah. Just not enough of it implemented yet.

That "We launched in December!" thing was either a PR mishap or some incredible optimism.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Playing this game gives me mad headaches. :(

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm iolo in the game. Level 6 assault.

So there are these two giant stone pillars northeast of Copacabana where you could safely drop a thumper solo. The bugs spawn on the ground and can't get up top except for the stray runt.

Scrimped and saved for my light thumper (before the price drop) and threw it down on the southern pillar Wednesday night. At about 20% suddenly 20+ bugs, including the big green/gray terror beetle spawn ON TOP OF THE PILLAR! I wiped, respawned, raced back to the pillar and jetted to the top just as my precious thumper went from 1% to boom. Fuuuuu...

Would love to get a PA squad going to go find some choice thumping spots outside the SIN networked areas.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    question - how to get small thumper? I have a tiny and never can complete the tiny thumper mission, is it part of the questline or a drop to make it?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited April 2012
    So I gots me a level 15 purple engineer backpack. Guess I'm sticking to engineer for a bit.

edit: I'm online now. Hope to have my light thumper built soon.

Echo on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    We should probably get a list of people's characters going, now that we can actually organize here.

The Deliverator : Maxish - Engineer primary

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I'm quite envious of you all. I almost got a beta key but fell asleep before the guy actually got on, then he traded it to someone else >:[

At least I can live vicariously through you guys now that the NDA is gone.

Where the heck are all the crashed thumper missions hiding? I need another 40 titanium carbide for the light thumper research!

edited April 2012
    Where the heck are all the crashed thumper missions hiding? I need another 40 titanium carbide for the light thumper research!

I think they show up on the map once someone is close enough to activate them.

Edit: You know those two pillars I was talking about, above? If you stand on the south pillar and look southeast, there's a basin. Downed thumper often spawn there.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Iolo wrote: »

I think they show up on the map once someone is close enough to activate them.

Yeah, I've been running around at the two spots I know they can appear at. No dice.

• The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    I just got a nanoprint drop for a blue level 6 engiframe. It needs 73 refined coralite. 0_0

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is there anything you can do to get beta access other than signing up on the site?

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I don't think so. I think they do raffles and whatnot on their forums, but you might need to be fairly active on there. I've been following them on facebook for quite some time and haven't seen any giveaways on there. Just gotta get lucky or wait till some of these guys are given keys to pass out :\

Peewi wrote: »
    Is there anything you can do to get beta access other than signing up on the site?

I haven't seen any contests out yet. If you sign up on the forums you are automatically signed up for the beta. Also, if you know someone in the beta, they give out invites every once in awhile to current beta testers.

steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I really don't get this game. I was letting it lead me around in the beginning and after I got the first thumper it stopped leading me and I have no idea what to do. I noticed that helping random people defend their thumper gives me no reward except XP for my kills which I think needs to be changed. I'm trying this game while waiting for Guild Wars 2 which doesn't require groups in order to share rewards.

I tried calling for a thumper and found a place where the hologram went blue. It said a thumper was incoming and then nothing happened. I tried to queue in PvP but the wait was too long. Are there more quests? The quest at the beginning was not very interesting and I haven't found anymore after exploring a bit.

The shooting is good but I feel like its held back by the entire rest of the game. I could contribute advice to the developers but they can't exactly overhaul the entire thing. I am getting the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of grinding for resources in order to build things which is going to make me quit pretty quickly. I am astonished that they claimed the game would launch last December.

Also, is there a friends list somewhere? I opened that quick menu thing they have and the social menu only seems to include options for groups.

• Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As for refining, there are different kinds of blueprints.

There's a Coralite Refining 1A that turns 100 Coralite Ore into one Refined Coralite Ore (takes 7:30 minutes); and then there's a 1B version that takes 1000 Coralite Ore, and I'm presuming it gives 10 refined ore, which takes 37:30 minutes. Probably higher tiers for when you really have tons of stuff to refine.

1B will give you 12 refined. I imagine there will be a similar bonus for the rest of the bulk refines.
    I'm Amara/Mijango in game (Wasn't aware how the class sytem worked)

Edit: Also, you can have a Shotgun and a Grenade Launcher as secondary weapons, theres a weapons vendor somewhere in copa that will sell you basic specs for them.

Ginger Mijango on
    Yeah, stuff like that is why I don't get why anyone thought they should call it launched in December. No friends list? Wha? Not to mention the whole UI feeling like it's made for gamepads.

And there's really nothing at all to do apart from following the questline and then go thumpin' so you can build a bigger thumper to do more thumpin'.

But all in all: they have some promising ideas. They just need a lot of work.

edited April 2012
    Woo - got my Light Thumper rebuilt. 5 refined coralite is a lot easier to come by than 15.

EDIT: Game down?

EDIT: Yep, but back up.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, stuff like that is why I don't get why anyone thought they should call it launched in December. No friends list? Wha? Not to mention the whole UI feeling like it's made for gamepads.

And there's really nothing at all to do apart from following the questline and then go thumpin' so you can build a bigger thumper to do more thumpin'.

But all in all: they have some promising ideas. They just need a lot of work.

Is it really that early? I guess maybe there is more room for suggestions than I thought. I'll keep playing. I even almost submitted a bug except the bug reporter bugged out :P

Edit: I'm Sarksus in the game, by the way.

Sarksus on
    The beta is only the small area of Copacabana, and the starting quest-line is just there to get you to your thumper. The main ways to gain xp currently are to kill stuff(while thumpering usually) or to kill ppl(in pvp). They might add more quests in later to guide ppl along more and maybe for faction stuff, but I'm not sure if that is the direction they want to go. I personally kinda like the open ended feeling you get from the game. You can just go around anywhere and do whatever, find random events, thump stuff, pvp, or just explore.

As for the thumper call down that isn't real. You get a blue hologram *almost* anywhere that the thumper "can" land(ie, a flat surface large enough for it to fit), that doesn't mean that there is minerals at that location. You need to use your scan hammer to find the minerals and then drop the thumper. In the current beta during peak times all the "close" thumping spots are usually camped, but I haven't yet had a problem finding more that are farther away from the main city.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, I found a great spot with 30% coralite south of Copacabana, outside of the SIN area. (Of course, that stuff keeps changing.)

• Comrade1809Comrade1809 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One shitty thing that happened was my thumper got destroyed and I don't have enough resources to create a new one. So..... I guess my only real option is to buy the crystals I need from someone or something. Or start a new character..

To get more resources either join someone in a group that goes out on thumping runs or do some PVP.

This is what is interesting about this game and everyone should know this. It is incredibly slow to get resources through PVP. Even if you win, at most you get 60-70 resources of any type for the 15-20 minutes that you spend on the map. That is if your team wins. If your team loses, you get a lot less for your efforts. If you do a thumping group with a light thumper, you can get anywhere from 300 to 700 resources based on where you thump, and how many people are in the party. I grouped with another engineer last night and we found a place that had 35% coralite deposits. It was just the two of us in the group, and for every thumper we had 700+ coralite per persson. That is for every 10-15 minutes that the thumper did it's job until that spot was exhausted. You can call a thumper to the same spot many times until the resources are all gone.

However, if you plan to level doing PVE only, it will be a very long road. You get a lot more experience from participating in PVP matches than you do from thumping or randomly killing enemies in the world. The most amount of XP you can get is from killing in PVE is killing The Chosen. They do a lot of damage, and rarely miss, if ever. So be careful if you're facing a large party of them. All this might change later on as they keep adding to the PVE content, but for now this is how it is.

Also, when you use a scan hammer, the waves that it sends out actually mean something. After using the hammer what where and how the waves move, as well as what color it means. The height of the waves shows the quantity of resources. If it's higher than your avatar is standing, that's a good sign that you will get a good return. When waves are black, it means there is no or very little resources in the area. It's best to skip those and keep on looking. Green is for coralite deposits. Blue is for crystite. Light purple is for a resource that starts with B. I don't recall the name of it at the moment. So far those are the only colors I've seen. Every place has a mix of resources which is represented by a percentage. If you need a specific resource above all others, then you'll have to search around. The waves do cover a good area, and even though it might start off black at the origin, it can very well turn to something else as it progresses away from the character.

Resource locations constantly shift. If you found a great spot and then depleted it, it might be several hours until that same spot is "refilled". After every time you deplete an area, you will have to go out and find a new spot to thump. Sometimes you'll find one just on the other side of a boulder, and sometimes you'll be stuck looking for 15-20 minutes, sometimes more. It is possible to find places with 30%-40% or higher of a particular resource. While 20% - 30% is the most common, 40% is very rare. If you find it, get on it immediately.

The thumpers that are in now are Tiny and Light. Tiny thumpers give a lot less resources than the Light thumpers. Also they spawn different types of enemies, so the fights are a little different. I imagine as more thumpers get introduced, there will be even more diversity in enemies, as well as resource gain.

All secondary weapons are shared between the battle frames.

I think that's all I have for now. I can't think of anything else to say to you all. =D

Comrade1809 on
    EVE: TrueAnger

“The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

“This Snow Crash thing--is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?”
    Juanita shrugs. “What's the difference?”
    ― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, the Chosen. They will show up as a random event (drop pod) and if you are not ready for them, they will kick your ass. They use 3 shot rifles and are incredibly accurate. I have had good luck strafing back and forth quickly at range (get hit 1 out of the 3 shots)... when you get close, get right in their face and kill them with your secondary weapon.

Side note: You can hit "C" to open up a quick select for your deployables.

Side note 2: There is a huge area you can explore if you go outside the SIN network. About 2/3s of it doesn't have any regular enemies though, only the random events.

Ratsult2 on
    edited April 2012
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    So, the Chosen. They will show up as a random event (drop pod) and if you are not ready for them, they will kick your ass. They use 3 shot rifles and are incredibly accurate. I have had good luck strafing back and forth quickly at range (get hit 1 out of the 3 shots)... when you get close, get right in their face and kill them with your secondary weapon.

Side note: You can hit "C" to open up a quick select for your deployables.

Side note 2: There is a huge area you can explore if you go outside the SIN network. About 2/3s of it doesn't have any regular enemies though, only the random events.

During certain events they also have large plasma launchers like the Assault battle frame. They rip through everything so be careful. Also where you shoot creatures and players does matter. Head shots do most damage and have the highest critical rate, while body and limb shots do not. Also if you use AOE type weapons like the grenade launcher, it goes without saying that the further the blast is from a creature, the less damage it does.

Comrade1809 on

“The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

• MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So i spent the better part of my day yesterday on this. And ya basically i stick to the general consensus, good base but still needs allot of work (huge emphasize on the allot, i crash every time some breaths on me). Its engaging for the first 20 or so minutes, but after an hour or two it kind of sedates itself.

I explored most of the map and other then breathy sites (they do have amazing terrain ill give them that) and lack luster "events", there's not much other then thumbing yourself silly.

But what really turned my crank was watching for the first time, that game play trailer from PAX 2010. If this is the game they remotely want to release, i would feel lied too. Or maybe its just the first time i get to really deconstruct and experience the hype vs actual reality thing. Anyway, all and all, it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a bit more cynical on my view of the industry. (Probably even turn down my excitement for GW2 as well, because im seeing the same sort of pattern there.)

Also, i know beta is beta, but if your willing to make that crap argument you also need to at least consider that the opposite maybe true as well and that the game we are seeing right now resembles at least in parts to the current real build. Because even thought it may not be final, its still the structure that they're building from.

Marslo on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Marslo wrote: »
    So i spent the better part of my day yesterday on this. And ya basically i stick to the general consensus, good base but still needs allot of work (huge emphasize on the allot, i crash every time some breaths on me). Its engaging for the first 20 or so minutes, but after an hour or two it kind of sedates itself.

I explored most of the map and other then breathy sites (they do have amazing terrain ill give them that) and lack luster "events", there's not much other then thumbing yourself silly.

But what really turned my crank was watching for the first time, that game play trailer from PAX 2010. If this is the game they remotely want to release, i would feel lied too. Or maybe its just the first time i get to really deconstruct and experience the hype vs actual reality thing. Anyway, all and all, it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a bit more cynical on my view of the industry. (Probably even turn down my excitement for GW2 as well, because im seeing the same sort of pattern there.)

Also, i know beta is beta, but if your willing to make that crap argument you also need to at least consider that the opposite maybe trough and that the game we are seeing right now resembles at least in parts to the current real build. Because even thought it may not be final, its still the structure that they're building from.

Perfectly codified my opinion. I too am starting to notice that the hype a company generates about their game is far and away a departure from what they are actually doing. There's a whole lot of "IT'S SO AWESOME!" but when you get your hands on it it's far less awesome and missing things. In this instance, I'll even forgive missing features/content/unfufilled idea's. It's more that the structure of the game is something I've played before. To me it lacks...originality.

edited April 2012
    Marslo, apparently this game has been in the making for some time. They shifted the game mechanics around a bit over the years. From what I understand the beta was supposed to be just like the trailer shown at the PAX 2010 convention, but something happened that forced the team to go another direction with the game. According to some rumors, he game was a lot closer to being completed towards the end of 2010 than it is now.

Comrade1809 on

― H.L. Mencken

Side notes for the people still getting a kick out of this game.

- The island north-east (you have to skip on water a bit to get there) of the starting area, has some 40 to 45% nods, at times. Its random so don't take that as a given, but i had some great luck there.
    - Do get a light thumber, well worth the money.
    - The main stats of the "mods" dont change, rate of fire will allways be +5% even on a lvl 9 mod. its just there is an added value like +dmg% for weapons and +vit% for armor, that goes up. (lvl 5 its +2.5% and lvl 9 its +4.5%)
    - Do go out of the uncovered zone, there's more sin towers that you can patch in too. It will alert you automatically and give you the location of them when you get close. Plus like i said before, they have some great terrain, so check it out.
    - Trying to run trough that mist thing, will dmg you at first and then insta-kill you after a short period of time. Apparently you can glide trough it, but i cant figure out how gliding works, so haven't tryed it.

edited April 2012
    Marslo wrote: »

Also, i know beta is beta, but if your willing to make that crap argument you also need to at least consider that the opposite maybe trough and that the game we are seeing right now resembles at least in parts to the current real build. Because even thought it may not be final, its still the structure that they're building from.

Perfectly codified my opinion. I too am starting to notice that the hype a company generates about their game is far and away a departure from what they are actually doing. There's a whole lot of "IT'S SO AWESOME!" but when you get your hands on it it's far less awesome and missing things. In this instance, I'll even forgive missing features/content/unfufilled idea's. It's more that the structure of the game is something I've played before. To me it lacks...originality.

Hype and marketing i get. Because really there is probably allot of money and investment riding on this. The developers might have the best intentions in the world, but in the end if the people who are fronting the cash for this don't have a sense of security, things end up not running so smoothly.

Basically what im trying to say, is that the real problem is the system men!

Plus developers are probably the worst people to listen to in a marketing seance, because what they're most likely pitching is their vision of the game and not the current state of affairs. (and that's probably what that pax trailer was.)

Marslo on