As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Well that sure as hell makes a lot of sense out of all the speculation.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    that was a great trailer! and then they end it with PREORDER TODAY

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    your activision overlords at work!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I really like this approach, making Mercer the bad guy. I can't think of any similar situations to this, outside of maybe Golden Sun?

Just hope they stick with it, and don't pull a "doh ho, he was good all along, let's TEAM UP!" halfway through.

Oh brilliant
    edited February 2012
    I really like this approach, making Mercer the bad guy. I can't think of any similar situations to this, outside of maybe Golden Sun?

Just hope they stick with it, and don't pull a "doh ho, he was good all along, let's TEAM UP!" halfway through.

"doh ho ho he was good all along I'm gonna eat him and continue on his legacy within me."

This is prototype. It's gonna be messed up.

There is only a single thing I am not happy about in this new game. I saw in the mutations trailer that one of the mutations is your second dash. Dash, essentially, was prototype to me. If it still functions like Prototype 1 (and it better or I'm going to be one unhappy camper) there is no world in which not having a second dash is better because it means you cannot use one dash to gain height and still have the second to maneouvre to walls and such or escape from mid air hits, avoid missiles or worse dash into the ground for speed at the end. A properly timed double dash while jumping also triples your height, letting a barely charged jump zip straight out of harms way.
    It makes it compulsory. Which means one of the mutation slots is non negotiable. Kind of sucky.

Oh yeah they also put speed in there. I really don't like this whole putting movement as an option thing they have going. I'm not going to get to play around with the other stuff properly because I'm going to have half my mutation slots filled up with what should already be there.

Morninglord on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Damn, Heller really is going to be a way better protagonist then Mercer.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    SHORYUKEN HELICOPTER

HIIIIIYA

KABOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

8-)

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I love me some free roam games; I'll pretty much buy any of them but every video I see of this game just looks like crap warmed over.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I must agree, graphically Prototype 2 looks like butts, the tentacle animations all look very rough and badly hide the model transitions, but!

Helicopter uppercuts.

Oh brilliant
    edited March 2012
    Graphics.
    Meh.
    I usually need graphics specifically pointed out to me to see a problem with it. And then usually the person has to be all "Let me show you my pokemans" at me and bring out the comparison shots and the way too detailed analysis and I'm all man I don't really care just let me uppercut helicopters.
    I'll leave caring about the graphics to other people.

Morninglord on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh. As long as the gameplay is a blast I don't care really.

I'm preordering this tomorrow.
    I haven't preordered any game a month in advance for years.
    I'm the very definition of hype. All by myself. I don't need anyone else.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Graphics.
    Meh.
    I usually need graphics specifically pointed out to me to see a problem with it. And then usually the person has to be all "Let me show you my pokemans" at me and bring out the comparison shots and the way too detailed analysis and I'm all man I don't really care just let me uppercut helicopters.
    I'll leave caring about the graphics to other people.

As long as the graphics are serviceable then I really don't give a shit tbh. Gameplay is my true lord and savior.

wWuzwvJ.png
    30 days here.
    I'm already counting!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Going to have to make a choice myself.

Need to save up money for a trip I'm taking with my bros. So either Witcher 2 or Prototype 2.

That being said it'll probably be Prototype 2.

Just think man I'm gonna be all going YOU CAN DO THIS AWESOME SHIT LIST LIST LIST and you'll be like man I wish I'd bought prototype 2 now...

Yeah. Like I've already played a lot of RPGs these last few months so I can wait on that.

But it has been a while since I've dropkicked a helicopter.

edited March 2012
    I'm actually thinking of setting aside a notebook as I play this time, try to keep things organised so it isn't all a big mess. Oh I should clean out my hdd so I can record vids to capture shit with my recorder. That'll be easier than explaining.
    So much preparing. Busy busy.

Morninglord on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This game looks pretty neat. It also looks a bit 90s grimdark superjerk comics flavored, which is sort of off-putting. The tendril ability really makes this look like a (Venom) symbiont game without a hint of Spider-man.

So I am interested. And it comes out a few days after my birthday. hm.

edited April 2012

http://youtu.be/er9XTcft2Mc

So I have to pre-order/buy the radnet edition to fill the in-game challenges bars? That is not cool.

DouglasDanger on
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Didn't know this was coming out so soon. I loved the first one. I'm trying to save up money for something, but I think I'll try to get this anyway.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    It also looks a bit 90s grimdark superjerk comics flavored, which is sort of off-putting. The tendril ability really makes this look like a (Venom) symbiont game without a hint of Spider-man.

Just so you know the first game had you being worse than Venom dreamed he could be.

These guys would eat Venom. Not in a cool way, just in a horrible way. They make Carnage look good.

There were a few people who played the first Prototype and were disappointed they couldn't be a hero type guy. I really, really doubt you will be able to do it in this game either, it's not the type of game they are trying to go for. Just a heads up.

Morninglord on
    I think this game looks fun, I wasn't using the Venom comparison to express distaste, I was just saying the concept and the powers are so similar I am sort of surprised Marvel didn't shut these guys down.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think this game looks fun, I wasn't using the Venom comparison to express distaste, I was just saying the concept and the powers are so similar I am sort of surprised Marvel didn't shut these guys down.

You can't really copyright goopy tentacle powers

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    So is this game at PAX? I can't find much actual gameplay footage anywhere, despite it coming out in two weeks.

edited April 2012

Ah, I get ya. Unnecessary warning then. :)

Morninglord on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular

You can't really copyright goopy tentacle powers

If you could, that'd shut down, like, 90% of the anime production companies out there.

steam_sig.png
    Hey, look! Achievments!
    Anger Management 20
    Destroyed 5 vehicles using a Finisher.

So Above It All 20
    Spend at least 25 consecutive seconds in the air (helicopters don't count).

Vitamin B-rains 10
    Acquired 10 upgrades through Consumes.

Eating Your Way to the Top 30
    Acquired 30 upgrades through Consumes.

Finally Full 50
    Acquired all 46 upgrades through Consumes.

Icarus 15
    Reached the highest point in the world.

Spindler's Search 40
    Destroyed all Lairs.

//BLACKNET Hacker 40
    Completed all //BLACKNET dossiers.

One by One 20
    Stealth Consumed 50 Blackwatch troopers.

Wanted Man 20
    Triggered 50 alerts.

All Growed Up 50
    Fully upgraded Heller.

Master Prototype 50
    Completed the game on HARD difficulty.

It's an Epidemic 10
    Complete MEET YOUR MAKER.

I Want Some More 10
    Complete RESURRECTION.

Religious Experience 10
    Meet Father Guerra.

This is a Knife 20
    First Prototype Power aquired.

Project Closed 20
    Completed a //BLACKNET mission.

The Mad Scientist 30
    Complete NATURAL SELECTION.

Something to Live For 30
    Complete FALL FROM GRACE.

What a Bitch 30
    Complete LABOR OF LOVE.

Murder your Maker? 100
    Complete the game.

Follow Your Nose 30
    Found all BlackBoxes.

Up to No Good 30
    Defeated all Field Ops teams.

Strike, You're Out. 10
    Destroyed a Strike Team in 15 seconds or less.

Compulsive Eater 10
    5 consumes in 10 seconds or less.

Do the Evolution 20
    Acquired 5 Mutations.

Just a Flesh Wound 10
    Dismembered a Brawler.

All Together Now 20
    10 or more kills with a single Black Hole attack.

Back Atcha! 20
    Deflected 5 missiles at enemies using Shield Block.

Two for the Price of One 20
    Simultaneously killed 2 Brawlers using a single Devastator.

Lair to Rest 15
    Destroyed a single Lair.

Hijack Be Nimble 15
    Stealth hijacked 5 tanks or APCs.

Road Rage 20
    Destroyed 10 Blackwatch tanks, APCs or helicopters using a single hijacked tank or APC.

Who Watches the Watchers? 20
    Consumed 10 //BLACKNET targets.

Hard to Please 20
    Acquired a Mutation in each of the 5 categories.

The Floor is Lava 15
    Traveled a half mile using only Wall Run, Glide, Jump and Air Dash.

Cannonball! 10
    20 or more kills with a single Hammerfist dive attack.

You're the Bomb 10
    10 or more kills using a single Bio-Bomb.

Sic 'em! 20
    Destroyed 5 helicopters using Pack Leader.

Over-Equipped 20
    Weaponized 10 vehicles.

The Best Offense 20
    Countered enemy attacks 20 times using Shield.

Arcade Action 10
    Karate kicked a helicopter.

I Caught a Big One! 10
    Mounted a helicopter using Whipfist.

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

Doesn't seem to be anything too challenging on that list. In fact, a few of them sound down right fun. The achievement hunter in me is definitely pleased.

Oh, and here's a look at some of the weapons you can tote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv5OQY7EjyM

I can see myself having fun with some of the heavier weapons on offer.

MGRSig2.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj4earoX18s

Okay.

I think this is my favorite live-action video game trailer.

45 minutes of gameplay up!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kitsuna wrote: »

Had me interested until I saw the asterisk and the footnote saying "this thing only available in a DLC pack". Makes it pretty easy to decide not to get the game if they're already starting up that crap and the game isn't even out yet.

Look forward to playing this in a year or so when the actual, full game is available.

EDIT: Apparently there's going to be an assload of DLC, not just a couple things here and there. Thanks, but no thanks; I'd rather spend money on getting entire games than piecemeal nonsense.

Ninja Snarl P on
    But it's all free with a new copy of the game.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Had me interested until I saw the asterisk and the footnote saying "this thing only available in a DLC pack". Makes it pretty easy to decide not to get the game if they're already starting up that crap and the game isn't even out yet.

Look forward to playing this in a year or so when the actual, full game is available.

EDIT: Apparently there's going to be an assload of DLC, not just a couple things here and there. Thanks, but no thanks; I'd rather spend money on getting entire games than piecemeal nonsense.

Crazy idea: You could just wait and see before assuming everything is garbage because you don't like a business model that may or may not be in place for a game that is not out yet.
    Joystiq wrote:
    All pre-orders will get access to the RADNET edition of Prototype 2, which includes 55 free items delivered during the seven weeks after launch.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/11/prototype-2-offers-pre-order-incentives-dont-worry-it-wont-b/

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular

Doesn't bother me too much since I'll be buying new so the version I get will have them. And even if it doesn't, well... I won't lose any sleep over missing out on a DLC weapon and ability given all the other stuff in the game that does interest me. Even only having nine reasons in that video to get Prototype 2 is eight more than I need.

That said, I completely understand your sentiment. I'd love it if all this pre-order crap that goes on at the moment were to die in a fire.

MGRSig2.jpg
    I despise this shit twice as much for this game as any other because there's no way on the planet I could hold out.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Not to go all "consoles hurr durr" but I think the reason the graphics aren't so good and basically hardly even an upgrade from the previous game is because the game can get pretty damn resource consuming in huge fights. You can have hundreds of civilians on screen while helicopters are raining down death all around you, monsters are stampeding in the streets next to columns of tanks and an army of angry grunts while you're running and flying around making everything explode violently in showers of blood and fire while you piss off the entire city

I honestly don't think the current consoles, which are all old tech nowadays, can handle that much intense action if the visuals are all pumped up too high

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    Hang on, Radnet is only available if you preorder?