As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo III] The old thread.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm probably ordering from BestBuy to use my Gift Card.

Online I get a free $10 in Bestbuy points, but I think that's only online and I'm not sure when it'll actually arrive if I do that.

• the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    my dreams and hopes were Jeoffrey's young, soft cheeks to Battle.net's small, yet surprisingly hard and calloused hands.

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So what determines what weapons the monk can use efficiently? I get less dps from swords than hand axes with similar stats.
    And why is the monk even using weapons at all when the punch animation is still bare handed?

ed: Ok so that scenario only applies when the axe or sword is in the off-hand slot. Is there a difference between them of some sort?

Movitz on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    So what determines what weapons the monk can use efficiently? I get less dps from swords than hand axes with similar stats.
    And why is the monk even using weapons at all when the punch animation is still bare handed?

ed: Ok so that scenario only applies when the axe or sword is in the off-hand slot. Is there a difference between them of some sort?
    use weapons with +dex that increase your overall damage dealt. the kind of weapon doesn't matter much (ie sword or axe or staff), the damage output and stat bonuses are what matters

Walt wrote: »

use weapons with +dex that increase your overall damage dealt. the kind of weapon doesn't matter much (ie sword or axe or staff), the damage output and stat bonuses are what matters

Ah, ok. That makes sense but none of these weapons are +dex as I'm only level 4. Or are there hidden stats for different weapon classes?

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

Ah, ok. That makes sense but none of these weapons are +dex as I'm only level 4. Or are there hidden stats for different weapon classes?

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm sure it's possible.

Can you tell us what the stats are?

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Squabman wrote: »
    I bet that it will be 3 weeks to a month before Inferno gets beaten. With millions of fans playing on day 1, I foresee atleast one skill / combo / exploit being found that allows a super progression.

Anyone remember firewall sorc in d2 xpac? When it was first released me and my 4 friends were on the top of the ladder for the first 93 levels because we got the game early and logged on as soon as servers went up (which went up a few hours early). My buddy didn't start playing until 6-7 hours after us and was able to solo up with a firewall sorc and beat us to lvl 95. Everyone single one of us was linehopped on the ladder by a sorcerer, all of which were presumably firewall sorc.

I foresee something similar.

edit: unless ofcourse Blizzard is proactive in tracking progression and is actively patching to make sure this does not happen. But no gaming company seems to be able to keep up with that sort of thing.

I think the over under is more like 3 days man, not 3 weeks. I got vacation saved for release and I expect to be in Infero before Monday

edited April 2012
    Tarantio wrote: »

No, unfortunately I can't as I sold off those weapons . But it was a sword that made 3.5 dps and an axe that was 3.2. When I equipped the sword in the off hand I actually lost something like 0.4 dps instead of gaining 0.3. Could have just been a bug I guess.

Movitz on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Why wait in line when you can get a digital copy? Unless you're ordering the CE what's the point of owning a box the game came in?
    Not to mention being able to play immediately on release...

:^: yeah I'm going digital so i can get the game ASAP. I hope servers arent complete dogshit day1, but I know they will be :(

and yeah the first 9-14 levels are way better in d3 than what their equivalent was in d2.

That said, I feel like you gain a lot of levels up front very quickly. To be clvl 9 "one third of the way" through Act 1 is pretty high level considering max level is 60.

• Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    I am not in the beta so I cannot confirm this for you, but there was supposedly a time where the weapon speed affected the duration of your attack animations, so if you had a sword you would hit slower but harder and if you had an axe it would be faster and weaker. You wouldn't necessarily see the numbers above the enemies' heads get bigger even though your dps goes up. Again, I can't confirm so look for someone to tell me this is wrong.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
    I am not in the beta so I cannot confirm this for you, but there was supposedly a time where the weapon speed affected the duration of your attack animations, so if you had a sword you would hit slower but harder and if you had an axe it would be faster and weaker. You wouldn't necessarily see the numbers above the enemies' heads get bigger even though your dps goes up. Again, I can't confirm so look for someone to tell me this is wrong.
    that's basically how it works. you get harder hits with bigger weapons and faster resource generation with dual weild or you can be a tank with a sword/board.

• MukkMukk Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Why wait in line when you can get a digital copy? Unless you're ordering the CE what's the point of owning a box the game came in?
    Not to mention being able to play immediately on release...

:^: yeah I'm going digital so i can get the game ASAP. I hope servers arent complete dogshit day1, but I know they will be :(

and yeah the first 9-14 levels are way better in d3 than what their equivalent was in d2.

That said, I feel like you gain a lot of levels up front very quickly. To be clvl 9 "one third of the way" through Act 1 is pretty high level considering max level is 60.

Nah, I doubt it. Blizzard has a pretty damn good server infrastructure these days. Cata release frex was perfect after the first ~30 mins.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

Even on my mage the dmg my spells did seemed to increase when I equiped a weapon of higher DPS. Didnt matter what kind. I think at one point I had a sword and board on and that was better than my wand and lowbie orb I had in terms of killin stuff.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Can't wait for release, one of my buddies is going to host a lan for it, he also enjoys making homebrew beer, so he is planning on whipping up some 'tyrae-ale' gunna be fun 0_0

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Amazon just tweeted that they have Collector's Editions available. They appear to still be available right now.

• tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for release, one of my buddies is going to host a lan for it, he also enjoys making homebrew beer, so he is planning on whipping up some 'tyrae-ale' gunna be fun 0_0

I am jealous. Most I'm going to be doing is eagerly waiting all day while i study. Sigh... i can't wait to graduate

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular

Hidden stats? Let's be careful not to spread misinformation.

I would be shocked (and upset) if a white 10dps sword and a white10dps ax had differing character dps once equipped. Even a white hand weapon which is restricted to monks won't give a damage boost beyond what is listed. If the ax had +5 dexterity and you're playing a monk then it will give you a dps boost over a white sword. These class specific stats are why you're unlikely to see a Wizard running around with a 2 handed axe because it will be unlikely that it gives a boost to intelligence or arcane damage, while it would be common for a wand to have both of those stats.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular

I would be shocked (and upset) if a white 10dps sword and a white10dps ax had differing character dps once equipped. Even a white hand weapon which is restricted to monks won't give a damage boost beyond what is listed. If the ax had +5 dexterity and you're playing a monk then it will give you a dps boost over a white sword. These class specific stats are why you're unlikely to see a Wizard running around with a 2 handed axe because it will be unlikely that it gives a boost to intelligence or arcane damage, while it would be common for a wand to have both of those stats.

There are somewhat hidden attributes to a weapon type in diablo 2. Mainly the speed a class type can use vs the other class type. IE, a druid swings a mace faster than a sword.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »

There are somewhat hidden attributes to a weapon type in diablo 2. Mainly the speed a class type can use vs the other class type. IE, a druid swings a mace faster than a sword.

Yes, but swing speed is accounted for when the "DPS" of the item is calculated, so it's not like the game can trick you. Diablo 2 even says right on the item how fast you can swing it.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    This is pretty normal. There's no point to dragging out the low levels too long since you only get 2-3 abilities and there's not much to master.

D2 was pretty much the same way. You'd be like 12 or so by the time you're doing Tristram, and even though there was quite a bit to go through yet, by the end of the act you'd probably only go up 4 or 5 more levels. The level 60 cap means just don't expect to gain too many levels playing through Hell.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    This is pretty normal. There's no point to dragging out the low levels too long since you only get 2-3 abilities and there's not much to master.

D2 was pretty much the same way. You'd be like 12 or so by the time you're doing Tristram, and even though there was quite a bit to go through yet, by the end of the act you'd probably only go up 4 or 5 more levels. The level 60 cap means just don't expect to gain too many levels playing through Hell.

Yeah, judging early leveling speed isn't a very good indicator on overall leveling speed. I can't think of any RPG in well...like every that hasn't had a fairly steep leveling curve. They throw the first bunch of levels on ya to get you into the game, get you hooked, make you feel that progression, introduce abilities over time without needing an overbearing tutorial; then they can dial it back and focus your progression on loot and moving through the game. Instead of getting a dozen levels an act, you might get two or three.

This is normal.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Yeah I was 12 or 13 by Andariel and 30 by the beginning of Act 5. I think we have slightly different conceptions of the leveling curve in d2. :P

It still feels like a slightly fast leveling pace for me, but I imagine it works out around the same **shrug**. 30ish by act 4 in d3 so you have all your skills to enter nightmare. I mean I'm not making a value judgment here, it just seems a bit fast to me.

Yeah I was 12 or 13 by Andariel and 30 by the beginning of Act 5. I think we have slightly different conceptions of the leveling curve in d2. :P
    Your 1st time or your 50th? Obviously once people became aware of all the "worthless" parts in Act 1 they started finishing it at lower levels, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

Also I think it makes more sense to compare to vanilla, not LoD. I don't think I ever had a character then that hit 30 by Diablo without grinding.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Has this been posted yet?
    http://reveal.diablo3.com/en_US/

Diablo 3 Launch Site. Looks like they are going to showcase the different classes. Right now they have the Demon Hunter up, including a short story.

Of interest, there is a "create a banner" contest and apparently just by doing it you unlock that banner in-game (it looks like maybe the crest is unique or something).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i think you can unlock the 5 different class insignias

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    i think you can unlock the 5 different class insignias

Yeah that's what it looks like. I did the Demon Hunter one and it was a crossbow, so yeah :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So is it just me or is this reveal site drowning in PHP errors, 404's and general no sigil for you things?

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Has this been posted yet?
    http://reveal.diablo3.com/en_US/

Diablo 3 Launch Site. Looks like they are going to showcase the different classes. Right now they have the Demon Hunter up, including a short story.

Of interest, there is a "create a banner" contest and apparently just by doing it you unlock that banner in-game (it looks like maybe the crest is unique or something).

The site looks nice.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So is it just me or is this reveal site drowning in PHP errors, 404's and general no sigil for you things?

It's fine for me, what browser are you using?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Chrome and Firefox. Just like the beta Blizzard hates me! I bought all their games! Why?!?!

edited April 2012
    I went through the whole process of setting up a banner and now the site is crashing like a 4 year old after eating too much cake at a birthday party.

El Guaco on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Chrome and Firefox. Just like the beta Blizzard hates me! I bought all their games! Why?!?!

The site's not working for me as well. Using Chrome.

pHWHd2G.jpg
    I don't think it's a browser issue. It's a OMGWEHAVETOOMANYPEOPLEMOLESTINGTHESITE problem.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Guess I should be glad I got in at 1am this morning.

Never a bad thing to have more options open for the banner, especially early when the pickings are pretty slim, as I recall.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    So if you're curious about the site but don't feel like unlocking it, someone has hacked the page.

SPOILER ALERT

Your 1st time or your 50th? Obviously once people became aware of all the "worthless" parts in Act 1 they started finishing it at lower levels, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

Also I think it makes more sense to compare to vanilla, not LoD. I don't think I ever had a character then that hit 30 by Diablo without grinding.

Yeah probably close to my 50th :P but that naive first playthrough is such a miniscule, insignificant proportion of my D2 experience I kinda wasn't thinking about that.

Yeah I also played most of my d2 post LoD; you make a good point that vanilla d3 should be compared to vanilla d2. I usually hit 30 AFTER Diablo in LoD. Usually right around Shenk and that first waypoint.

It always felt ridiculous how much more XP you got in the beginning of Act 5 compared to the slow churn in Act 4.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    So, uh. I bought D3 and started the download preorder, left to go see Carousel and came back and see no indicator of where it went---nope, shit, I found it. Carry on.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • FalckerFalcker Registered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    You can preload even with the CD? I thought it was only an option for those who pre ordered the digital edition.

You can download the client through a torrent or through Blizzard if someone decides to link the .exe without purchasing the digital copy.

• datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    I just saw the thread title and involuntarily giggled out loud. 39 days left?!?! Guys, this shit is gettin' real.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Even less now I think.

This discussion has been closed.